Best Thread Correlation Trading - Basic Ideas and Strategies

Re: longer term market view....

heres a 4h 1000/1 market index corrie....

tag as usual.....the rest are commodities and equities....gold is gold and grey is the dow

See how gold and then the Dow gave early indications in jan (by falling) that tag was going to fly up ?

an look at 4th feb and diversity of the dow/gold verses Ftse/Dax and crude oil....what was that about ?.......a superb convergence trade if we understood these dynamics (y)

and now we see them below the others and starting to dip downwards again ?......but ftse/dax/crude still going north ???? :cry:

I am still a novice on all of this......but I can see that perhaps these indicators/signals could allow trading the markets independently as well as alongside the forex as more exotic cocktails/basket plays....but 1 step at a time :whistling

anyone care to pitch in with observaions / comments ?

I am a novice at all of this and use this and more other focused indicators in my more private work....although thats about 10 mins a week at the moment !

but with obsevation and experience it will gradualy take shape for me and help my trading career when it (eventually :rolleyes:) starts again....

Neil
NVP

Hi Neil,

Dont know whether or not this obserbvation/comment will be of any use to you, but....

We have both "seen" a fair degree of non-correlation lately and for me this has been acute in G/E/U relationships, suggesting that fundementals have overtaken technicals - fiscal worries in Euro zone, disbelief in UK to tackle debt immediately, extent of coming year's budget defecit in US etc., so perhaps you are trying to find a correlation with other financial instruments that might not exist right now.

Also when you use the longish MAs these are, as you know, looking at a SUM price X bars ago and contain a lot of lagged data, might be OK for any trends but a nightmare when the chop monster comes a-calling! For me this is the biggest problem in that if price pops its head above a MA traders want to buy it (maybe with some other blanket hugging indys confirmation) when in fact the "real" price action rise could well have occurred some bars ago and therefore what is seen is really, in retrospect, a retrace or false breakout.

I've read many articles in TASC over the years where long/medium term MAs were debated and I cant recall any conclusion ever being made over their use, apart from the fact that they are great in trending markets but killers in sideways ones. However with your application on MAs on the corrie indy I think you are probably on the right track by looking for local S and R junctures and not relying on the indy itself to merely cross MA.

As you know I use your corrie indy with the raw settings so it mimicks actual real time price action, downside of this of course is that you will frequently be jumping in and out of the market when chop monster visits, but and like a medium/long term MA you can "afford" to stay in the market longer whenever a trend manifests itself - ie small term gyrations in price will occurr some way above an entry point abd can be ignored.

Why dont you try a sort of re-construction of your corrie concept by capturing a good length segment of data and then modelling this with various settings to see exactly how the whole thing behaves? With this you could adjust for important criteria such as pre and post London session (ie differing aspects of volatility and the like), different characteristics of the singled currencies and their direct relationships between one another (ie G, E and U etc) and any other ideas that come your way.

Starting off with the "raw" output and building from this might well reveal some other aspects that perhaps you and all of us are overlooking right now. I certainly feel there is a lot more to this correlation thing than what I'm currently seeing with your indy, but typically cant for the life of me put my finger on it - I'm actually right in the process of doing whats written here and going back to square one again!

Anyway food for thought for you, take care.
Simon.

Re: longer term market view....

Hi Neil,

Dont know whether or not this obserbvation/comment will be of any use to you, but....

We have both "seen" a fair degree of non-correlation lately and for me this has been acute in G/E/U relationships, suggesting that fundementals have overtaken technicals - fiscal worries in Euro zone, disbelief in UK to tackle debt immediately, extent of coming year's budget defecit in US etc., so perhaps you are trying to find a correlation with other financial instruments that might not exist right now.

Also when you use the longish MAs these are, as you know, looking at a SUM price X bars ago and contain a lot of lagged data, might be OK for any trends but a nightmare when the chop monster comes a-calling! For me this is the biggest problem in that if price pops its head above a MA traders want to buy it (maybe with some other blanket hugging indys confirmation) when in fact the "real" price action rise could well have occurred some bars ago and therefore what is seen is really, in retrospect, a retrace or false breakout.

I've read many articles in TASC over the years where long/medium term MAs were debated and I cant recall any conclusion ever being made over their use, apart from the fact that they are great in trending markets but killers in sideways ones. However with your application on MAs on the corrie indy I think you are probably on the right track by looking for local S and R junctures and not relying on the indy itself to merely cross MA.

As you know I use your corrie indy with the raw settings so it mimicks actual real time price action, downside of this of course is that you will frequently be jumping in and out of the market when chop monster visits, but and like a medium/long term MA you can "afford" to stay in the market longer whenever a trend manifests itself - ie small term gyrations in price will occurr some way above an entry point abd can be ignored.

Why dont you try a sort of re-construction of your corrie concept by capturing a good length segment of data and then modelling this with various settings to see exactly how the whole thing behaves? With this you could adjust for important criteria such as pre and post London session (ie differing aspects of volatility and the like), different characteristics of the singled currencies and their direct relationships between one another (ie G, E and U etc) and any other ideas that come your way.

Starting off with the "raw" output and building from this might well reveal some other aspects that perhaps you and all of us are overlooking right now. I certainly feel there is a lot more to this correlation thing than what I'm currently seeing with your indy, but typically cant for the life of me put my finger on it - I'm actually right in the process of doing whats written here and going back to square one again!

Anyway food for thought for you, take care.
Simon.

very interesting JRP.......

I totally agree that MA's whilst being useful are no match for price action......likewise I can 100% guarantee that the correlation dynamics generally change as we move between each Trading time zone...........

I am currently working on isolating each currency and monitoring its behavour (as you know from PM's) so will see what that yields

Whilst not being tooooo confident I am relatively happy with how the Tag performs with regards to the markets and each other...........my main weakness and exposure is as usual the G6 (well the G5 as the swissie is usually flat) and their inter-relationships

some of my early posts describe these guys and heres my tribal grouping :-

Com dolls (NZD, AUD , CAD)
EUROTEAM (GBP, EURO,CHF)
TAG TEAM (USD / JPY)

Jack Crooks sites the euro family as very "savings related" regarding their inter-relationships - and since none of the 3 can be deemed commodity (which are CAD.AUD.NZD) or pure Risk related currencies (more Yen/USD really) he is talking about them going purely head to head constantly on interest rates and economic data/forecasts......hence Euro losing at moment to GBP due to some of their wayward countries deficit positions.....give it a while though and i'm sure we in the UK will come up with the next disaster story to knock us back !

The corrie is great for identifying how tight these tribes move sometimes and I have done some work in the past grouping them together and then monitoring their tribal inter-relationships as they then orbit the other tribes in secondary cycles

I think of it like small planets orbiting one planet as a planetary system, and then this whole system orbiting much larger solar systems

fascinating work and one day i will lay down some more rules for it that may even be tradable.......:p

until then..............well work is a pain and I watch/observe.comment on FX markets as a sideline :whistling

oh well back to the grindstone
N

Last edited:
mornin all............:sleep:

overnight the markets generally rose sending tag down........Europair collected pips but only with modesst rises/ Flat response to be honest....the Aussie Dollar really rocked thru the early night session (not shown) so would have been the best play......

in more recent hours he correlation has broken up on the Tag Team (look at gold vs WS30 vs USD vs Y on 5m charts but not shown here) I would like that to sharpen up before we get into the london session......also is that nikkei fall for real ???

watch the overnight breaches and the 15m 7am bar.........

I wll try to post when I can today....busy bee again totin cotton for the man

yessm bass on my way now to work bass

N

Attachments

• 11th feb.jpg
    11th feb.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 126
Gold is putting USD under immense pressure to fall and it is a little......but that tells me to watch for opportunities to sell europair if Gold falls and usd rises....hmmmm

n

I love it when a plan comes together...........

Hi all..............work work work...that cotton never gets toted enough :p (sigh)

I was actually mentoring a little this morning (first thing) with my newbie in training and told them to watch the europair like a hawk as I thought that USD was just itching to rise (see my prev thread)

its been a nice little punt as per the piccie below so far.....if this goes on my newbie may even think I know what i'm talking about (y)

hope you made some pips yourselves........

lets see what those Eurofools decide what to do today ....I dont think the bouzoki karioke planned for lunchtime will be a hit.....:whistling

N

Attachments

• 11th nice early plays .jpg
    11th nice early plays .jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 170
Re: I love it when a plan comes together...........

Hi N and anyone else,

Here is what I saw this morning:-

GU; First trade sell stop placed at 55812 and got filled during 08:50 bar. Price moved down then found some support and changed direction to take out TS at 09:35 bar for 6 pip profit. Waited to see if price penetrated target buy stop of 56184 but 10:30 bar didnt reach this (thankfully in hindsight!) and formed a top and started to show signs of wanting come down again. Second trade sell stop at 55974 triggered by 11:00 bar and price started to move south a bit reluctantly but far enough to move SL to BE and 11:35 bar took this out for nothing.

EU; First trade sell stop at 37564 hit by 09:00 bar and price did nothing for a few bars before dropping down then drifting sideways and rising again to take out adjusted SL during 10:20 bar for 9 pip loss - probably should of not adjusted initial SL as that take out point was a near local high and price went down again from that. Curses! Second trade sell stop at 37384 triggered by 11:00 bar and price went down quite sharply but found a bottom and rose quickly up to take out TS for 2 pip profit.

EG; Started morning session off in a real no-man's land for me chart wise until 10:20 down bar seemed to wake this pair up. First trade sell stop at 88094 triggered by small 10:30 bar and price drifted sideways for eight bars after this before dropping down below initial trigger point once more, trying to rally on 11:40 bar and then going down again with a bang. Timing (ie my midday cut off) took me out on close of 11:55 bar for 19 pip profit.

Bit of a dog's dinner on GU and EU for me this morning as I couldnt find any rythmn for these two, but fortunately EG saved my bacon on the day. Definitely a case of markets not quite knowing what to do here - trade well and regards,
Simon.

Attachments

• gu110210.gif
    gu110210.gif
    14.8 KB · Views: 131
  • eu110210.gif
    eu110210.gif
    14.4 KB · Views: 120
  • eg110210.gif
    eg110210.gif
    12.7 KB · Views: 128
Re: I love it when a plan comes together...........

Hi N and anyone else,

Here is what I saw this morning:-

GU; First trade sell stop placed at 55812 and got filled during 08:50 bar. for 6 pip profit. Second trade sell stop at 55974 triggered by 11:00 bar took this out for nothing.

EU; First trade sell stop at 37564 hit by 09:00 bar for 9 pip loss -
Second trade sell stop at 37384 triggered by 11:00 bar for 2 pip profit.

EG; First trade sell stop at 88094 triggered by small 10:30 bar for 19 pip profit.

Bit of a dog's dinner on GU and EU for me this morning as I couldnt find any rythmn for these two, but fortunately EG saved my bacon on the day. Definitely a case of markets not quite knowing what to do here - trade well and regards,
Simon.

Hi mate....yep it was a dogs dinner so far......but you still were comfortably in profit...so well done (y)

anyone else using the Corrie/correlation to support trades ?....happy to have you posting here as long as you explain what you are doing and how you use corrrelation to support the move:smart:

c'mon look at my drivel compared to simons polished updates......anyone can post here (y)

Damn - im under cosh at work currently so sorry not as present here as i should be........ :rolleyes:

N:p

Gold verses the g8

ok just one quick observation !

heres an interesting corrie hybrid chart.....It shows me how Gold is doing against the G8 currency basket

its a 1000/1 setting so relatively unaffected by moving average distortions and is useful sometimes to me.....

Remember I have shown other gold charts with gold as part of the G8 (like a G9 corrie) and that is a different chart .......as it always shows gold going up and USD going down (and vice versa) etc etc ......

this chart factors all that malarky in and assumes that the G8 is valued as a weighted basket that always equates to a flat line price......(neutral)....

therefore when gold is rising it is being respected more than holding any G8 currency (not just USD or GBP etc etc) and is to be respected as such

so what do we see on this daily 1000/1 setting ?.......well surprise surprise the current overheated printing presses of the G8 world combined with cavenous deficits and lack of any real world business stimulus mean 1 thing.......the G8 is depreciating in real terms to gold....so buy gold in a weighted basket of currencies as it is indicating (if the trend continues) that you will do well this year and perhaps beyond....:sneaky:

no surprises there then :whistling

N

Attachments

• the Daily goldmeter.jpg
    the Daily goldmeter.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 144
1 more before i go.............

I notice that gold is not being able to suppress the rise of USD so I think USd is going to keep going up........

sell europair and Aud.....especially when the gold price starts to fall :smart:

later....much later :(
N

Attachments

• 1345 update.jpg
    1345 update.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 126
heres a few more pippys on the euro.....

COMMENT
Ive just reviewed this post and realised my comment above was at 2.06 verses this post...and that looks like I called it after the event.....believe me or dont believe me on this one if you understand what I was looking for then thats all that matters

Sware to god i'm gonna kill that GBP :mad:

repeat after me :-

GBP is not a member of TAG......GPB is not a member of TAG

or is it ? :sneaky:........some of you get my drift :smart:

N

Attachments

• Euro pips.jpg
    Euro pips.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Greek tradgedy........

Jees.........:p

Attachments

• auction.jpg
    auction.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 201
  • greece told off.jpg
    greece told off.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 147
Euro still fall guy............i'm not talking about GBP ever again.....

Remember i was rambling on about tribes yesterday :cry:

I bet the Swissie is chuffed to bits hes in the eurozone Tribe......talk about dragged down with the wreckage.......

to be honest I know i tried to label GBP in the eurozone Tribe and CAD in the Com dolls tribe.....but they are not the most predictable in these groups to be honest and sit precariously within .....

probably its more 3 loving Twins/Groups and our 2 outcasts who pop in now and again for a threesome :eek:

these 3 twins can be used in divergence/convergence plays as the tribes cycle each other......possible money there with the right diligent research/analysis re strategy ... but no one has picked up the challenge and I havnt the time at the moment......

Back to the tribes - look at GBP recently.......about as congruent with the eurotwins as I am with the Arsenal supporters club (spurs joke) :p

CAD and NZD moving well together today and they're slowly cycling back towards AUD that in truth after an initital super burst overnight has not been that great today given that it should have made more headway from the Eurotwins dire performance.....

N

Attachments

• tribes.jpg
    tribes.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Hi N,

Picking up from where we last left off (posts #1501 and 1502) yesterday, I did a quick analysis of GU, EU and EG pairs from 08:00 through to 12:35 for yesterday's (10-02-10) morning session to kind of show you what I think we should be looking for.

Using the wonderful power of MS Excel I extracted the above time range data and re-based these three pairs to show their respective moves against each other - blue is GU, red is EU and purple (I think purple, me and colours!) is EG price action bahaviours scaled to M5 time frame.

Looking for the "master" on this simplistic basis shows GU motoring off rapidly from about 08:35 whilst EU floundered around before eventually moving up and EG giving a virtual "mirror" downwards of GU upwards track. Then about 10:25 GU starts to exhibit exhaustion and EG follows fashion but EU plods along its own path. Finally around 10:35 EG breaks upwards and pauses before moving off again and GU breaks down, pauses and goes into decline - EU just carries on its merry way!

Thats just about what I "saw" when trading throughout yesterday morning, so now how can we look to take advantage of these different but somewhat linked behaviours?

Simon.

Attachments

• Rebased 100210.png
    Rebased 100210.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 132
Hi N,

Picking up from where we last left off (posts #1501 and 1502) yesterday, I did a quick analysis of GU, EU and EG pairs from 08:00 through to 12:35 for yesterday's (10-02-10) morning session to kind of show you what I think we should be looking for.

Using the wonderful power of MS Excel I extracted the above time range data and re-based these three pairs to show their respective moves against each other - blue is GU, red is EU and purple (I think purple, me and colours!) is EG price action bahaviours scaled to M5 time frame.

Looking for the "master" on this simplistic basis shows GU motoring off rapidly from about 08:35 whilst EU floundered around before eventually moving up and EG giving a virtual "mirror" downwards of GU upwards track. Then about 10:25 GU starts to exhibit exhaustion and EG follows fashion but EU plods along its own path. Finally around 10:35 EG breaks upwards and pauses before moving off again and GU breaks down, pauses and goes into decline - EU just carries on its merry way!

Thats just about what I "saw" when trading throughout yesterday morning, so now how can we look to take advantage of these different but somewhat linked behaviours?

Simon.

Hi mate

heres the 5m corrie 1000/1 for same period......

to me it looks like the GBP was showing its usual volatility and mirroring (in reverse) the USD - but Euro was not playing ball as was relatively neutral ......(more common behaviour than todays bunfight !)........

Sadly the second piccie is the gold activity and there was no Corrie Karma going on between Gold and the USD.....I would have been rambling on about USD falling further as it was falling as gold was falling.....then I would have said look to sell USD later morning as gold rose but I am hoping this would have never been traded as generally the set-ups were not there !

would have finally got it right after 12 though......look how gold falls and finally USD clicks back into inverse relationship mode and motors higher.............and Euro and GBP finally join together and fall in unison......

(JRP - I have other indicators in test running as you know - so perhaps they would have yielded more trading opportunities outside of the corrie/gold method...i'll send them to you by PM)

FOLKS.....its all about being very focused on what you are looking for and waiting till it appears .....then if you get the signal trade it like a demon - going for the throat and making your pips before the opportunity evaporates......so for me this was a bad corrie morning that got better early afternoon (although lunchtime session is a pants trading period i know.......:whistling)

however - The days of both Euro and GBP moving together against the TAG seem to be less and less currently - and its either 1 or the other that makes all the money whilst the other parallels the tag with no returns and viscious whipsaws .....

actually JRP based on your trading methodology of the "holy trinity" this could be devistating as you should get 2 dominating trades that will yield good pippage against the third (neutral) pair movement....depending on whatever that turns out to be !

N

Attachments

• same timeframe.jpg
    same timeframe.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 173
  • gold action .jpg
    gold action .jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Hey NVP:

Didn't you like my version with the color legend?

I was thinking each pair should have a min/max/avg value displayed so we would know where price is in relation to these levels.

Also, the number of bars or elasped time since the line crossed the 0 line may be of some use... Hmmmm....

24cuz54.gif

Hey NVP:

Didn't you like my version with the color legend?

I was thinking each pair should have a min/max/avg value displayed so we would know where price is in relation to these levels.

Also, the number of bars or elasped time since the line crossed the 0 line may be of some use... Hmmmm....

24cuz54.gif

hey TRO !

the new version with colour coding sits proudly in this post here on the thread and is available for all viewers to download for free.....(we spoil them :))

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/for...g-basic-ideas-strategies-179.html#post1048744

4 views to date.......we get a lot of viewers on this thread but not that much feedback so dont expect any flowers for your contributions....(sound familar on your threads ? :whistling)

I certainly have it in my folders - but to be honest I have so many versions running that it would not be visable on most of the charts I post so havnt transitioned just yet......and a lot of the time its just 3 or 4 currencies up and viewers know the score

Newbies please use this as it is useful as a key when you are starting out....

i'll feedback on any ideas....to be honest less is more for me on the corrie, but feel free to play and use as you want......posting here with examples if possible and how it works (y)

N

a freebee and you are ll

mornin all................:sleep:

markets fell a litle in the night....but since 4ish have become more bullish......gold now waking up as well

tag followed this in its inverse pattern (promising) ....euro was flat and GBP...more volatile but not exactly correlating as much as I would like yet against the tag.......

on the far right chart (1h corrie today) that weekly action sure smells of some further tag falls doesnt it.....:sneaky:

but nothing is for certain in the markets and naturally fridays can be unwind days.... so watch the 7am 15m breaches and the overnight breaches for early clues.........:smart:

and be careful out there.......!!!!
N

Attachments

• 12th action.jpg
    12th action.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 152
look how crazy the broader markets have been this week......

the tag have been falling generally ......but look fast Gold and the Dow30 fell dramatically early week and are now pulling back upwards.....yet Oil, Ftse and dax never really dropped that much until mid week......???

all seem to be finally agreeing on a northerly bearing now.....?

comments please :cool:

N

Attachments

• crazy markets.jpg
    crazy markets.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 133