Best Thread Correlation Trading - Basic Ideas and Strategies

Attachments

• Goldmeter strikes .jpg
    Goldmeter strikes .jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 135
hey all

well here we are again in a new week.......lets see what happens

you know Business Success & Trading (or whatever) is not simple .....but then again a lot of people make things harder than they need to be ......why ?

1) Because they are trying to sell you something
2) Because they are trying to feed ego's the size of planets
3) Because humans always overcomplicate things...its what we do
4) Because its fun and there was nothing on TV.....

....whatever !

confession - Ive been around the block a few times over the last 30 years ....I have certainly had my share of personal Ego drives, Dreams of wealth creation from dynamic businesses and new products and working with Companies and small teams that promised to make me very wealthy indeed...I'm not quiet the multimillionaire yet....(although I do ok)...but I am always looking to improve the wealth and situation of myself and my family......

my point is we are all human ......so keep pushing ....but just keep it simple.... as its the complexity that will inevitably de-rail the system or business idea you have .....

oh yeah .....and dont take yourself toooo seriously .....as the more you do the less others will !

NVP

here we are again ....

Week 24th Sep 2012|FXCORRELATOR

chart 1

500ma 4hr TF......we see the Dow flatlining but USD and YEN coming North
so the bias is on buying these guys and certainly if dow floods more south

chart 2
20ma 4hr TF .....a faster ma than above tells us that sure ....the yen and usd are above the Zero on a falling Dow ....bias confirmed !

chart 3
20ma 1Hr TF......currently aligned to the 4hrs above ....

so what are you waiting for ? .....teehee!;)

have a good week
NVP

Attachments

• 4hr 500ma views.jpg
    4hr 500ma views.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 151
  • falling dow.jpg
    falling dow.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 126
  • regular 1hr rythm on the FXcorrelator.jpg
    regular 1hr rythm on the FXcorrelator.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 139
Tom below is presenting at £125 a ticket at the worldMoneyshow on 2/11/12 in London........I may pop along as I want to see first hand what hes doing......I respect anyone who trades live in front of an audience (try it :eek:)

meanwhile....do you recognise the approach below ?

yep - set your FXcorrelator up on a 60ma setting on a 4Hr chart and only trade the order in which they stand making sure you are only buying currencies on the shorter TF's that are above others on the 4hr chart above (and vice versa)......lower TF's confirming to the higher TF's ..like say the 5min or the 15m

and by the way this is also Andys 3 duck leading duck (4hr 60) ...so it seems we are all looking at similar lead indicators ! :smart:

umm............when do I get my £125 please ? :rolleyes:

N

TOM HOUGAARD
CONSULTING ANALYST, INTERTRADER

Do you remember the film Trading Places with Eddie Murphy? The key scene takes place in the commodities trading pit for orange juice in the World Trade Centre. Two traders observe that Randolph and Mortimer, the two old-timers running the show, are buying every orange juice contract in site. Then those two observers rush into the pit to be part of the action.

I didn't understand the significance of this “action” – the volume and activity in a trade – until my friend and trading partner Dr David Paul taught me the Relative Strength Matrix. He explained that because many traders trade just one thing at a time you could be losing out on “action” in other asset classes, something that short-term traders favour.

For example, if you only trade euro-dollar, you may well miss out on better opportunities in other currency pairs. David taught me to go through each currency pair and cross pair within the “four majors” and ascertain where the strengths and the weakness were.

The explanation below is not a strategy, but an analytical framework to ascertain where the best move of the day is likely to be.

Put a four hour chart on the screen with a 60 period moving average. Go through each of the 10 pairs – euro-dollar, sterling-dollar, dollar-Swiss franc, dollar-yen and their six cross pairs – and make a note of which currency is the strongest and which one is the weakest. After looking at all ten pairs, you now have a Relative Strength Matrix of the ten currency pairs.

Here’s an example. On Friday morning the euro was stronger than all the four main currencies, while the yen was the weakest against them. So naturally I was looking for opportunities to buy euro-yen all day. The non-farm payroll numbers made it a difficult trading day, but nevertheless in my live trading room I raked in 30-40 points in euro-yen alone.

It is a simple analytical framework and it only takes 15 minutes to do in the morning. Happy trading.

The views and comments in this article are not the views of InterTrader.com. The provision of this information should not be construed in any circumstances as a recommendation or solicitation to buy or sell any security or financial instrument.

Last edited:
heres that signal at the moment ..............

thats a 4hr TF with a 60ma FXcorrelator

as as a kicker the Dow is falling below that 20sma on chart.....so we like a rising USD and Yen ....right !

Nice to know I teach here what Professionals are doing as well ........

except its free here..... ;)

N

Attachments

• keep it simple .jpg
    keep it simple .jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 175
things starting to ease off a little on the 15m TF's..........beware !

my chart is always GMT -1

N

Attachments

• easing off.jpg
    easing off.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 127
nice bounce on USD and Yen .....NZD getting buried....

Attachments

• nzd gettign buried.jpg
    nzd gettign buried.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 112
on the 15m's the usd and Yen are showing a lot of bullish resilience...even though the dow is testing north.....

so dont right off the bull usd and yen moves just yet folks ....

N

looks like USD has finally decided to go south....FAST !!

i'm surprised that Yen is hanging back ......may be a nice buy on U/J here as a delayed slingshot trade ? :smart:

N

Attachments

• usd is bailing.jpg
    usd is bailing.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 198
this is where I am looking

Attachments

• buy zone .jpg
    buy zone .jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 188
we need another Push North from Dow to make the prediction above happen ....

hey all

well I gotta Scoot............as I leave heres the Strategy on the table (aside from normal rules)

Dow up = Yen south = U/J north

thats the plan ....hahahaha !

N

Attachments

• dynamics 101 .jpg
    dynamics 101 .jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 553
hey all

well I gotta Scoot............as I leave heres the Strategy on the table (aside from normal rules)

Dow up = Yen south = U/J north

thats the plan ....hahahaha !

N

hey all

just tidying up the post yesterday (above) ......here what happened next

no Dow rise when we needed it to (forget later - different scenario) so trade didnt happen ......thats it ! :innocent:

Trading is all about setting traps AHEAD of the market and waiting for the market to come to you.............never chase it :smart:

NVP

Attachments

• dow never rose when needed.jpg
    dow never rose when needed.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 224
heres the market on the default 20ma FXcorrelator ....1 hr TF

yesterday was all about buying yen and USD in Asian and London sessions

then Dow got north into US opening and USD got south ...fast !

but Yen was sluggish so I was a little nervous on the 1hrs to commit to selling these dudes.....

Yen got south into early Asian..... so pips there finally selling the dynamic duo

looks like a little consolidation at the moment on this chart anyway

Always just trade what you see.....(or dont trade if its not lining up !)

its not as difficult as you think if you watch the wider market like we do here !

have a good day
NVP

Attachments

• 1 hrs.jpg
    1 hrs.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 232
hey all

heres the 1hr TF on the 20ma default settings

I see the consolidation above turned to a full blooded Buy USD and Yen signal ...

problem is I'm not seeing a decent sell currency .....at least on this chart !

N

Attachments

• what to sell .jpg
    what to sell .jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 839
heres the 15m.........

see that my Dow/YEN/USD system offers us up an opportunity to buy the USD and Yen......but the choice of partner to these guys can be a little like a lottery at times.....

and thats where experience comes in.............Hey nothing is perfect !

N

Attachments

• 15m tf.jpg
    15m tf.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 298
and if its any consolation my own personal systems that incorporate a lot more volatility indices and other tweaks have only offered up 1 decent trading signal / period today on the 15m TF and that was in at around 6.15 GMT this morning for about an hour....

it wasnt calling a trade on that move mentioned above in last few posts

thats not to the say the basic 20ma system is incorrect ....just that my extra filters were not supporting it this time around !

N