Best Thread Correlation Trading - Basic Ideas and Strategies

FT Today.....

Scenario 1 - (positive reaction) has about as much chance of happening as me becoming the next President of the USA

N

Where the eurozone crisis may go from here

With its decision of September 6 the European Central Bank has taken a large part of the “convertibility risk”, i.e. the risk of a break-up of the eurozone, off the table. Spreads have come down substantially in the following days, especially in Spain and Italy. Today’s decision by the German constitutional court to allow ratification of the bailout programmes should see those spreads come down further still.

The question now is whether countries will decide to activate the ECB’s intervention.

Requesting such programs entails costs and benefits.

The cost is mainly political, due to the stigma attached to any type of IMF or EU support. By asking for support, a government implicitly admits that its previous policies have not succeeded in convincing the markets. The negotiation of an adjustment program and the regular monitoring by the so-called troika (IMF-EU-ECB) is considered to entail a loss of sovereignty. Any government accepting intervention also fears losing political support. And the tougher the conditions attached to a programme, the higher the political cost associated with it.

The benefit consists mainly in the reduction of interest rates, especially at the low end of the yield curve, obtained by the ECB’s intervention, which reduces the cost of adjustment and alleviates tensions in financial markets. The lower the yield targeted by the ECB, the larger the benefit for the country to enter into a programme.

The reduction in interest rates that followed the ECB’s announcement may have temporarily reduced the incentives to request financial support. Furthermore, the assessment of the respective costs and benefits is still unclear. On the one hand, there are uncertainties about what the IMF or EU programmes will imply for the various countries, especially in terms of additional policy measures, although this will probably be clarified bilaterally over the coming days. On the other hand, the ECB has not – and will probably not – indicate any target for the level of Government bond yield it intends to achieve, making the benefit for governments uncertain.

Two scenarios may thus develop over the coming weeks and months.

A positive scenario would see financial markets continuing to react positively to the ECB’s announcement, achieving a permanently lower level of interest rates throughout the maturity curve. Under these conditions countries might not even need to apply to any program and the ECB’s threat for action would not have to be implemented.

However, in a negative scenario, the ECB’s announcement would have short lived effects as financial markets would not be convinced that countries can manage on their own. Rates would soon start rising again, amid renewed financial turbulence, forcing countries to apply to an IMF/EU program. The political costs of such a move would then be even higher, as countries would be perceived as being forced into a programme, rather than autonomously choosing to request one. The ECB would have to intervene, as indicated, starting however from a much higher level of interest rates and thus with much larger amounts.

The likelihood of the two scenarios depends on a series of factors.

The first is the reaction of governments and parliaments to the improved market conditions that have resulted from the ECB’s announcement. If national authorities take the opportunity of the renewed calm in financial markets for strengthening their reform programs aimed at increasing growth prospects, and adopt further measures, in particular privatisation, to accelerate the reduction of the debt, the likelihood of a positive scenario might increase .If instead the euphoria that followed the ECB’s announcement leads to a relaxation of the reform effort, or even to question some of the measures, the negative scenario would become more likely.

The second factor is the prospects for economic recovery in the various countries. Any unexpected cyclical improvement, which would contribute to ease the adjustment of the budget deficits and debts, could consolidate market confidence and make the virtuous scenario more likely. If, on the contrary, the general deterioration of economic conditions continues, with further downward revisions of growth prospects and upward revision of unemployment prospects, the risks of a negative outcome increase.

A related factor concerns the correlation between sovereign and banking risk. The improvement in government bond markets observed after the ECB’s announcement has been accompanied by a spectacular recovery in bank stocks. This suggests that the correlation is still strong. It may even increase if the process for bank restructuring and recapitalisation is delayed and if non-performing loans continue to rise as a result of a further slowdown of economic activity and weakness of the housing market. This could contribute to a worsening of the scenario.

The third factor is the development of monetary conditions in the eurozone, compared in particular to those in other major currency areas, which determine the external competitiveness of the euro. An improved competitiveness of the whole eurozone would contribute to support economic growth and tilt the balance towards the virtuous scenario.

A fourth factor is the management of pending critical eurozone issues, from the Greek adjustment program to the design of the longer term integration process, starting with the forthcoming discussion on the banking union. Negative developments in any of these areas could produce contagion effects that would push towards the negative scenario.

The balance between the two scenarios is not entirely in the hands of policy makers. But their actions can make a difference. We have already experienced in the past situation in which the improvements in market conditions, resulting for instance from the measures implemented by the ECB (for instance, last year’s 3-year LTRO), led to a relaxation of the adjustment process and a slowdown in the joint effort for improving the institutional framework supporting the euro. Restarting the effort again, once markets have deteriorated, proved each time to be much more difficult.

Regaining the confidence of the markets, once it has been lost, is extremely demanding. Regaining the confidence of the people is nearly impossible.

hey all

look at that AUD hit earlier ...anyone get it ?

N

Attachments

• AUD hit .jpg
    AUD hit .jpg
    42 KB · Views: 128
Fed News out......lets see what else happens now

N

Attachments

• fed news.jpg
    fed news.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 138
USD must take a hit now surely ?

and perhaps we hit the magic numbers on the rising dow ?

Famous day numbers approaching ...?

NVP

hmmm

spot the countries that dont intend to print money in the near future ...oh yeah and gold !

N

Attachments

• action.jpg
    action.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 252
some days i love trading........the new rocknRoll !

Attachments

• this is more like it.jpg
    this is more like it.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 270
hey all

Sorry - ive been busy today ...........well well well .....big bad ben gets the blood flowing doesnt he !

I think things may cool off a bit this afternoon as traders book those Dow gains and lock in the USD and Yen sells from yesterday

NVP

Attachments

• big bad ben.jpg
    big bad ben.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 324
and whats the story with the bullish Euro? ....beats me .....

honestly ? .......I was expecting more from the AussieD and the CAD actually this week

N

Attachments

• whats the story mr euro .jpg
    whats the story mr euro .jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 365
jees - Dows on the march again .....

Attachments

• on the march .jpg
    on the march .jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 222
and the euro is untouchable.......big Euro shorts getting killed this week

Attachments

• Euro is untouchable .jpg
    Euro is untouchable .jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 123
heres the story more clear on a 200ma setting on the weeklies......

Euro is back....and must have taken out by now all of the last 5 months of shorts

Jees its defying gravity....sure ECB are there now but that doesnt solve the fundamental problems of Europe......it just extends the pain

N

Attachments

• Euro is back.jpg
    Euro is back.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 137
what a week ! :eek:

Ben warms up the printing presses and of all things the euro responds to the call

Jees ....theres a lot of big fat traders out there who will be very unhappy in their multi million dollar weekend retreats this weekend

all those recent Euro shorts now look very very dead

N

Never get to hung up on a position in trading - sure you need to take a view - but ultimately Trade what you see....and bail when you know you are wrong and the market is right ! :smart:

Attachments

• what a week.jpg
    what a week.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 134
heres the fun

w/c 17th Sep 2012|FXCORRELATOR

Hey all (y)

well well .....will this week be as lively as last week ?

USD and YEN got cut to pieces as Dow went long........and the Euro became the hottest Currency since Midas set up a gold shop in ancient Creece !

will it last ? ....time will tell

a little retrace overnight on the Dow but that means nothing....i am thinking
its time for a little retribution in the market after last weeks sugarfest but who knows ?

I am travelling on business this week so will pop in when i can .....

good trading :smart:

NVP

Attachments

• week commencing 17th sep 2012.jpg
    week commencing 17th sep 2012.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 122
hey all

apologies I am still tied up this week in switzerland on business......hoping to get back in front of my charts tomorrow when back in the UK

N

hey all

i’ve been away on business this week so not much time to look at the markets
heres the 4hr TF……

see the bounces on the dow ? – the big recent move is that push north last few
days and how the yen and USD are again under pressure

and the 1 hour TF this week…even more pronounced to see my simple rules of Forex trading

Dow up = Yen and USD down
Dow down = Yen and USD up

when all is in harmony….. Trade them against other currencies !

its not rocket science
N

Attachments

• bounces.jpg
    bounces.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 1 hour.jpg
    1 hour.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 132
Hi all

I've had a chance to catch up with a few good trading friends for a chat ..........people who keep me up to date on whats really happening in the forex world and are more smart and talented than I will ever be.....however thats not that difficult and achievable by most humans on this planet...... hahaha :LOL:

lucky I have mr Corrie to keep me profitable then !

always keep your feet on the ground and always listen to others .....its a great reality check :smart:

have a good day
NVP