Commentary on The Journey from the Basement

Fader said:
Perhaps I'm just the devils advocate, sent to provide a reality check for egos with signatures longer than their messages?
No you are not, you enjoy making mischief.

Only I , am very sure of my ground, but you interpret that as pompous.

And because of disruptive members like you, in the end nobody learns anything, because those of us who can give the knowledge, just clam up.

I am off to do something more worthwhile than spending all evening arguing with you.

Ta Ta .

Fader said:
I understand, it's very difficult to see yourself through others eyes

nearly, but i think its "Very difficult for the others to see themselves through their own eyes"

rgds fx.

Albert Labos is presently not posting here anymore. In fact his last post, I believe, was in April and he has PMed me to say that he's sick and tired of everything that's been levelled at him and he and his darksidding gang will not post anymore on T2W.

( personal attack deleted by JumpOff)

I suppose if you take any other profession and disect it to pieces, quoting all the obvious stuff, I'm sure you can make as impressive a thread a "Journey from the Basement" about it. But in the end no actual secret if offered.

I'd like to offer Ed Sedkoyta's reply when asked about his success:

"The secret is that there is no secret. And if there is, it's a secret even from me".

Thought this thread was dead ,but noticed the post by Temptrader.

My comment (ignore it if you wish as I post it only for my own satisfaction) is this.
Socrates had a style of delivery which was difficult for a lot of people to deal with. If you ask me could he teach trading I would have to say I don't know. However, if you ask me does he have the knowledge bank I'm absolutely sure he does. Secrets don't get recognised ,pearls don't get recognised until ironically you have derived them for yourself so in that sense perhaps he didn't have any secrets to divulge other than to point a direction to them. Disappointing that he does not post anymore ,but the decision to deal with aggravation is ultimately a personal one.

chump,

I respect your point of view, but please don't get the wrong end of the stick. I don't wish to aggravate the issue. On the contrary I would like to say, here and now, that I owe the darksidders (Skimbleshanks Chinawhite) a lot, especially Skimbleshanks since in her post there was always encouragement, especially towards those that are starting out etc (like Frugi, Quercus and stoplossplease), and for that I will always have a lot of affection for her.

But Socrates is a different animal. Obviously those that know see him as a joke that he is, even thought I might be partially indebt to him (I'll leave it amongst yourselves to interpret what I mean by that). If he knows what he does, and can trade as he claims (hey why make such outragous claims anyway unless your ego needs that much satisfaction from people?) then he would have the decency to pay back all the fees that he took off unsuspecting individuals for his useless course (he took 2 million pounds in fees according to another thread - see VSATrader). I don't think he has done, I'm sure that tells you something . . . .

In case you are wondering I was not on any of Albert's course, but I would be right p*ssed off with the stuff he offered.

Oh, and by the way, if you had to read the Journey from the basement to learn how to trade you'll fail as a trader anyway, as an analogy it's like someone who wants to be a professional golfer, if you have to ask you shouldn't be doing it anyway.

personally, i disagree with pretty much everything tony blair says. in fact, he makes my blood boil at times.

i try not to let this de-rail me from my overall focus and direction in life. i dont think it would be productive to spend much time constantly telling the world what a 2 bob mug i think he is. i would suffer in the long run, not tony bliar.

temptrader said:
chump,

I respect your point of view, but please don't get the wrong end of the stick. I don't wish to aggravate the issue. On the contrary I would like to say, here and now, that I owe the darksidders (Skimbleshanks Chinawhite) a lot, especially Skimbleshanks since in her post there was always encouragement, especially towards those that are starting out etc (like Frugi, Quercus and stoplossplease), and for that I will always have a lot of affection for her.

But Socrates is a different animal. Obviously those that know see him as a joke that he is, even thought I might be partially indebt to him (I'll leave it amongst yourselves to interpret what I mean by that). If he knows what he does, and can trade as he claims (hey why make such outragous claims anyway unless your ego needs that much satisfaction from people?) then he would have the decency to pay back all the fees that he took off unsuspecting individuals for his useless course (he took 2 million pounds in fees according to another thread - see VSATrader). I don't think he has done, I'm sure that tells you something . . . .

In case you are wondering I was not on any of Albert's course, but I would be right p*ssed off with the stuff he offered.

Oh, and by the way, if you had to read the Journey from the basement to learn how to trade you'll fail as a trader anyway, as an analogy it's like someone who wants to be a professional golfer, if you have to ask you shouldn't be doing it anyway.

I had a couple of run ins with Socrates The man was not a good teacher, however knowledgeable he may have been. He was rude and unkind and had an extremely high opinion of himself.

Split

Dear charliechan,

It's time for me to be a honest with you all. I sent Albert a PM apologising for my behaviour, and deleted some of my previous posts on this thread (hence anyone viewing this will see the partial inconsistencies).

A few months after this I sent Albert another email to prode him for more information, and got what I expected in return. I played it carefully. Instead of helping he coldly told me of my derailment of his "wonderful" work and how he and his fellow darksidders have clammed up and will not offer anything of worth anymore, wishing me good luck at the end of it. This bevaious strikes me as someone who has got a lot to hide and also who feels totally p*ssed off that his plans has not gone according to plan. The simple matter being is that if he knew what he was talking about he would not have taken the stance that he did, he tells us that he is free - this should imply that he is also free of resentment and other such negative feelings. What I got was a cold person who feels that his marketing efforts suffered a horrible and crippling blow.

You see the point of all this, like all so self claimed gurus on bulletin boards, is that there is no external referees, hence we are all prone to psychological games. At least in the field of sports and academia those who are at the top are there because of merit, and their talent if plain to see. For Albert Labos we will never know, but isn't strange that he managed to accidentally slip his name out?

Once again I will end with my previous request to Albert: If you are that good as you claim you are, then have the damn decency to refund all those people who you previously went on your courses.

I seriously doubt he has the decency to do so, just like van Tharp and Elder can write books about trading but can't really trade.

Best Regards to Skimbleshanks and China White

I had a couple of run ins with Socrates The man was not a good teacher, however knowledgeable he may have been. He was rude and unkind and had an extremely high opinion of himself.

Split

I would not agree with this statement.

Socrates..is a very good teacher in relation to certain aspects of trading..of which certain parts require some serious thought and learning..which most can not..or will not do..for whatever reasons which can only be worked out by themselves.

If Socrates is looking in..come on back Sir..ASAP..as it is not the same without you..and a few more:)

Lúidín

This thread was started in 2004 and you joined 11 years later so how can you know that it is not the same without the likes of Socrates here unless you are a multinic?

Lúidín

This thread was started in 2004 and you joined 11 years later so how can you know that it is not the same without the likes of Socrates here unless you are a multinic?

multi implies more than one..which is not the case..in fact..my old nick is deleted..these forums are nearly dead with facebook and twitter..which i do not..nor will ever use..as i do not like them

SOCRATES and a few others knew what they were talking about..not like most..and when people can not understand something..they get frustrated..but that is not the teachers fault..it is the pupil

have you ever looked up the final exam stats for the major secondary school results..it is amazing how consistent they are..what does this tell you about people..and the education system in general

Fair point and you have explained that you were a member previously which is all I was wondering. Are we allowed to know who you previously were?

And yes your points about the rise of social media is evident across all forums.

Fair point and you have explained that you were a member previously which is all I was wondering. Are we allowed to know who you previously were?

And yes your points about the rise of social media is evident across all forums.

It does not matter one little bit who i was..or what i said..all that matters now..is what i now say

i am sure a few of the mods know me..as my style of writing has not really changed..although i have mellowed a bit..i still react to what is said to me in the same way..if someone is nice and polite..so am i..if someone is abusive and rude..so am i..i should have called myself The Mirror Man this time:)

see what i mean..somethings will never change..mainly due to education..you should take heed of hh..he appears to know what he is talking about also

Yea thats why he thought your option trade will only start making profits when it reaches the strike price ! Or maybe thats why he keeps averaging down in individual shares but when it goes his way he closes at +1-3% ...

Its a shame that talking wont add a penny to their pockets ...

Yea thats why he thought your option trade will only start making profits when it reaches the strike price ! Or maybe thats why he keeps averaging down in individual shares but when it goes his way he closes at +1-3% ...

Its a shame that talking wont add a penny to their pockets ...

i was not talking about trading..but as you brought it up..how do you think market makers operate..do you think they hedge every trade..so they have no risk..and they can make money without any risk what so ever

hh posted his trades in advance..he briefly explained his way of thinking..and if his criteria is met the trade is executed..which he has shown results for..now..that to me is trading..his risk model is his own business..for..he could have sufficient capital to withstand a large drawdown..which allows him make money by not exiting losers..this type of trading is not for those who do not understand risk..and how the markets operate

i still want to see some of his losers though..which i have already stated..and will keep stating until i see some

maybe he doesn't have many losers!

maybe he doesn't have many losers!

He doesn't need many , according to this formula one loss is more than enough to wipe out many profitable trades , not practical even if you are a bank . Take a risk but dont risk it all .