Brexit - in or out

Id say to people...bill gates says the UK is a significantly less attractive place to do business, so we should stop buying his products and tell him to sling his hook.

Sounds a superb idea - cut ourselves of from all inward investment and deny ourselves stuff half the world relies on.

For every voice that is in there is a voice out. A report the other day had a lesser known successful billionaire from the US supporting Brexit because it would allow British business to be less hamstrung by regulation and less rigid in its operation we would be going back to more of a free market economy than we are now.

But if bill gates speaks then people listen because of the celebrity culture we live in, a false culture that millions of people believe in.

As a contrarian I tend to take the opposite view to the herd because the herd is usually wrong.

fwiw - anyone running with any purchase plans for IT kit from the USA is facing steep price increases due to Brexit.

So cost of purchasing kit will go up over night for no other gain than simply currency fluctuation.

We are talking literally 10s of thousands for the supply of kit I'm currently working on. Been told the same story by three different suppliers. All companies will pay so much more for the same kit. Multiply this with the number of big and small companies through out the UK paying 15-20% more and you have some real costs coming home before we've even thought about making those so called lucrative deals with the rest of the World.

Just more and more pain and higher costs. Investments placed on hold. Companies leaving the UK.

So that old adage about the UK being a nice place to do business flies out the building.

Also makes me wonder why these guys who are so anti-tax and against the EU transaction tax now talking about raising wages and charging corporations more tax.

What on earth is happening here... :eek:
Tories turning Labour. Labour keeping mouth tight shut!
What's next?

fwiw - anyone running with any purchase plans for IT kit from the USA is facing steep price increases due to Brexit.

So cost of purchasing kit will go up over night for no other gain than simply currency fluctuation.

We are talking literally 10s of thousands for the supply of kit I'm currently working on. Been told the same story by three different suppliers. All companies will pay so much more for the same kit. Multiply this with the number of big and small companies through out the UK paying 15-20% more and you have some real costs coming home before we've even thought about making those so called lucrative deals with the rest of the World.

Just more and more pain and higher costs. Investments placed on hold. Companies leaving the UK.

So that old adage about the UK being a nice place to do business flies out the building.

Also makes me wonder why these guys who are so anti-tax and against the EU transaction tax now talking about raising wages and charging corporations more tax.

What's next?

I've owned a business for 31 years, your assumptions and way of looking at the world are laughable.

How is charging corporations some tax bad. The point is the EU is being used to avoid obligations to the UK.

I am pro business, so you want to do business in the UK you pay some tax on that. Let's not pretend it's being done in Luxembourg.

What's next?

Who says the pound will drop? What if it rises?

My heart says out.
My head says in.
I'm a trader; I do what's logical and evidential so I'm voting IN
Like most things in life it's not completely right or wrong , so it's a judgment call.
Do I want us to be part of a market of 60 million hoping for other markets to miraculously open up - how many remember the pre-membership days and how much worse they were economically with trading mainly with the ex-Commonwealth and Anglophone world - or to be part of a 500 million market even with its manifest weaknesses and problems.

Who says the pound will drop? What if it rises?

Atilla wants to retire early, liquidate his assets into Sterling, buy Euros, go live in Europe, have is pension paid each month there, but Brexit has come at a bad time, so in self interest his assets and pension won't be worth the same if Sterling falls in value against the Euro......Called vested interest......i Hate it because regardless of any short term personal cost to me if we leave, i will vote for what is morally best for my country and fellow citizens.

My heart says out.
My head says in.
I'm a trader; I do what's logical and evidential so I'm voting IN
Like most things in life it's not completely right or wrong , so it's a judgment call.
Do I want us to be part of a market of 60 million hoping for other markets to miraculously open up - how many remember the pre-membership days and how much worse they were economically with trading mainly with the ex-Commonwealth and Anglophone world - or to be part of a 500 million market even with its manifest weaknesses and problems.

You should grab your balls, be a man and go where they say.

I've owned a business for 31 years, your assumptions and way of looking at the world are laughable.

I need to buy technology from the US. Ongoing tender. Three suppliers. Suddenly all three quoting higher prices from about 6 weeks ago.

What is my loss?

What is my gain?

This is what is staring me right now. I have to present to upper management.

I'm only quoting life as is now?

Explain what's funny so I can join in the laughter (y)

I need to buy technology from the US. Ongoing tender. Three suppliers. Suddenly all three quoting higher prices from about 6 weeks ago.

What is my loss?

What is my gain?

Are you in your job a week?

Yes suppliers take advantage when they can and you kick them harder in future.

You really continue to surprise me, not in a good way.

What is my loss?

What is my gain?

You should have got your finger out, weeks ago, if that is your worry.

While your busy doing that, i agreed fully with the common market, but like many, not into how this as morphed into a political union......:D
Agree totally.
At least Cameron has done the democratic and morally right thing - whatever the complexity of his political motivations - and given us the choice for the future.

Agree totally.
At least Cameron has done the democratic and morally right thing - whatever the complexity of his political motivations - and given us the choice for the future.

Thing is, even if remain win, the subject isn't going away, society here and throughout Europe is becoming divided, it is just a short matter of time before another fly ends up swimming in the ointment, ie Greece default again, etc etc....there really is a growing list of possible catalysts.

Last edited:
Atilla wants to retire early, liquidate his assets into Sterling, buy Euros, go live in Europe, have is pension paid each month there, but Brexit has come at a bad time, so in self interest his assets and pension won't be worth the same if Sterling falls in value against the Euro......Called vested interest......i Hate it because regardless of any short term personal cost to me if we leave, i will vote for what is morally best for my country and fellow citizens.

Yes that is the case but wilst you guys may choose not to the choice is never the less there for many elderly people to manage their retirement in any part of the EU. Simply having the option is freedom in it self. European rights protected anywhere in the EU.

That is something the Brexit bods do not udnerstand and I don't blame you as life experiences all varied with skewed income differentials. I'm not rich but not poor either. I'm alright Jack yes indeed, thanks.

However, this is once again not about me, patriotism or nationalism. It's about the UK and every member, including all her pensioners and post war baby boomers reaching retirement now as it happens.

Including businesses, now asked to pay more for technology. This is just the ripples starting out imo.

You really need to take your heads out my rear and smell the coffee or something. I can tell you, not going to end well with the likes of you going around telling business to naff off or pay more tax (which is something I support by the way). I simply don't feel we need to Brexit to do it.

Start by nodding to Transaction Tax and agree with EU then instead of 55 votes going againts the UK you'll have one in favour. (y)

You capiche yeah? :cool:

Yes that is the case but wilst you guys may choose not to the choice is never the less there for many elderly people to manage their retirement in any part of the EU. Simply having the option is freedom in it self. European rights protected anywhere in the EU.

That is something the Brexit bods do not udnerstand and I don't blame you as life experiences all varied with skewed income differentials. I'm not rich but not poor either. I'm alright Jack yes indeed, thanks.

However, this is once again not about me, patriotism or nationalism. It's about the UK and every member, including all her pensioners and post war baby boomers reaching retirement now as it happens.

Including businesses, now asked to pay more for technology. This is just the ripples starting out imo.

You really need to take your heads out my rear and smell the coffee or something. I can tell you, not going to end well with the likes of you going around telling business to naff off or pay more tax (which is something I support by the way). I simply don't feel we need to Brexit to do it.

Start by nodding to Transaction Tax and agree with EU then instead of 55 votes going againts the UK you'll have one in favour. (y)

You capiche yeah? :cool:

We aren't ever going to agree, different lives etc, example, the other day you talked about British engineering, or lack of it, my answer to that is "so what", some businesses will fold, some will prosper, and some will be new, i don't fear it, i've lived with change all my life, its when people are at their best, sticks a bit of lead in the old pencil, and regardless of your doubts, this country for all it decline still has some bloody good people who will see opportunity, grow this country again, Hell we have before, why not again.

What are you afraid of man.

You are worried about the financial upheaval if we leave, well, give it 12 months and it will all settle down, and what on earth makes you think the Euro will be stronger against Sterling, its the same now as it was in 2010, my bet is it will be weaker, certainly not enough difference for you to doubt your longterm plans.

Im going to sit this out now as enough has been said on both sides, whatever the outcome, i wish you well......:)