Brexit and the Consequences

So this thread has moved on from isolationism from the rest of Europe to the rest of the world. Bloody foreigners, hey.

Alas 'tis but a dream - a time when the rest of europe was over there somewhere and the French spoke their heathen gabble in their own land, when the American colony paid their taxes like dutiful citizens of the Crown and the others supplied the Empire with the labour and raw materials that it's rightful place in the world afforded it.

Dixie Britain is seceding from the Union and will shortly be finding out how to harvest with an unwilling, unable and probably undeserving workforce. The economy will suffer in the short term but fear not, the south will rise again....well, the south-east anyway...not all sure about anywhere north of Watford though.

All those poor migrants trying to cross, they may well end up getting lost and finding the Americas.

Hadn't looked at things this way before but now it seems perfectly obvious: Ericson and Columbus meant to go on a jaunt to Blighty. We need to be rewriting those history books soonest.

Is this a true anecdote about England. Watching a TV show, a wealthy man is visited by his wife at his work. They have recently emigrated from England to the US. The wife complains on and on about how horrible New York is.

"And anyway", she says, "it is not London, it is not even England."

"That's for sure". Says the Husband. "I have been here for 10 months [at work] and nobody has even asked me where I went to school."

Are people really that concerned with those things? That classist?

If the series you're referring to is "Episodes" (in principle a sitcom , however humourless) then perhaps the canned laughter after each telegraphed joke might be a clue as to how seriously it's meant to be taken.

Last edited by a moderator:
Corbyn made headway in the UK by promising undeliverable policies, all paid for by the magic money tree. Voted for by stupid people. Round and round we go. Getting nowhere fast.

News for you CV, the magic money tree does exist after all! TM found it. It's almost as though when she wants to spend it to cling on to power by buying 10 (terrorist associated) votes she does not think twice about finding £1bn.
Which could have paid for...
26,000 nurses,
12,000 hospital doctors,
27,000 school teachers or
16,600 new homes.
Hmm, this is our tax money we are talking about. It should not be used by this lady, (voted in by the clever people, I presume) as a gift to prop up the tory party. How arrogant and entitled can one party be.

P. S - on further news because she didn't do to well at the election (to say the least). She is now making noises as to the possible end of austerity.

News for you CV, the magic money tree does exist after all! TM found it. It's almost as though when she wants to spend it to cling on to power by buying 10 (terrorist associated) votes she does not think twice about finding £1bn.
26,000 nurses,
12,000 hospital doctors,
16,600 new homes.
Hmm, this is our tax money we are talking about. It should not be used by this lady, (voted in by the clever people, I presume) as a gift to prop up the tory party. How arrogant and entitled can one party be.

P. S - on further news because she didn't do to well at the election (to say the least). She is now making noises as to the possible end of austerity.

Having been through "the Troubles", I find it extremely ironic that she would suck up to the Irish in order to hang on to power. But then Conservatives don't have a very finely-tuned appreciation of irony.

26,000 nurses,
12,000 hospital doctors,
16,600 new homes.

We have a low profile PM who sets herself low targets - and consistently fails to reach them.

Having been through "the Troubles", I find it extremely ironic that she would suck up to the Irish in order to hang on to power. But then Conservatives don't have a very finely-tuned appreciation of irony.

Realpolitik is an irony-free zone...along with Islam et al.

Is this a true anecdote about England. Watching a TV show, a wealthy man is visited by his wife at his work. They have recently emigrated from England to the US. The wife complains on and on about how horrible New York is.

"And anyway", she says, "it is not London, it is not even England."

"That's for sure". Says the Husband. "I have been here for 10 months [at work] and nobody has even asked me where I went to school."

Are people really that concerned with those things? That classist?

If the series you're referring to is "Episodes" (in principle a sitcom , however humourless) then perhaps the canned laughter after each telegraphed joke might be a clue as to how seriously it's meant to be taken.

Another aficionado of this thread has just informed me that I got the reference completely wrong and this is in fact from the series "Mad men" so not many laughs there. I think that as the series is set some 50 years ago that the incident may well reflect the culture of that period.

Things have changed a bit on both sides of the Atlantic and to put the comment in context: JFK was shot in '63, segregation ended officially with the Civil Rights act of '64 and Martin Luther King got it in '68....and we won't mention the war.

Brexit Chief Hamstrung by May's Tough Stance, Ex-Aide Tells BBC

I think this piece of news is very significant as it highlights TM as being a spanner in the works, the problem rather than the solution - a facilitator in the negotiations.

I fear she is protecting her strongest form of support in the party which no doubt comes from the hard brexiters, who are now obviously on the back foot as the country wakes up to their ultimate demands and impact on the national interest.

The ad lib about her being the only person who could negotiate our way through Brexit sounds like the last person to do the job. Bloody difficult woman is what you get when one grows up an only child with no siblings to squabble and negotiate with. Just saying like. :whistling

Catch Dead Ringers on BBC Radio 4. Theresa May is always taking phone calls in the airing cupboard, in hiding. Davis has code-name Brexit Bulldog. Priceless stuff.

UK taking back control of fishing waters. About time too.
Ireland considering Irexit referendum.

I can tell you the feed back from door steps sounds awfully bad for the Tories.

Votes flowing to Labour and LibDems.

Most waking up to what a fess-up they have become. At this point the Conservatives are very dangerous to the country as they'll do what ever they can to save their seats.

I was laffing my AO at Boris saying they need to 'responsibly' increase social spending!!!

How by giving away corporate and tax cuts away. Bunch of fecking self serving morons.

As for Gove saying we should bring end to austerity. He is so cringe inducing POS makes me belch when ever I see his boat. (n)

I can tell you the feed back from door steps sounds awfully bad for the Tories.

Most waking up to what a fess-up they have become. At this point the Conservatives are very dangerous to the country as they'll do what ever they can to save their seats.

I was laffing my AO at Boris saying they need to 'responsibly' increase social spending!!!

How by giving away corporate and tax cuts away. Bunch of fecking self serving morons.

As for Gove saying we should bring end to austerity. He is so cringe inducing POS makes me belch when ever I see his boat. (n)

Never mind all that BS. Look where the real issues are.

Migrant crisis in full swing, EU have no policy to deal with the numbers, the distribution, border security, internal security. The people aren't stupid, they can see what a shambles it is.
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world...policy-misguided-migrant-crisis-two-centuries

Last edited:

Ehh ? What votes ? Have I missed an election as well as last weeks s&p forcast ? I see Vincent has stepped up to the table to be your next leader...is there no one else in the party with leadership skills ? Or any form of skill for that matter.:LOL:.....maybe time for pants down paddy to make a return. :LOL:

Ehh ? What votes ? Have I missed an election as well as last weeks s&p forcast ? I see Vincent has stepped up to the table to be your next leader...is there no one else in the party with leadership skills ? Or any form of skill for that matter.:LOL:.....maybe time for pants down paddy to make a return. :LOL:

It's like living in some parallel universe.

Lib Dem vote share went down not up.
Tory vote share went up not down.