Asian Coronavirus Outbreak

Well, it appears the UK Gov COBRA Emergency Planning is now in full swing.

Doddery Old Codgers, being the clear and present threat to National Security are the target of most planned measures.

The plan seems to be to identify, isolate and drive insane anyone aged 70 or above.

They are to be confined to their homes for an indefinite period and denied all contact with others.

Watching the news or even seeking solace in light entertainment on TV is strictly forbidden by measures already in place.

Non-compliance to these measures is already a criminal offense.

A well thought out strategy to reduce the economic burden posed by the elderly.

Make 'em work to 67, let them spend life savings providing free childcare and other charitable services for a few years and then drive them to the brink of starvation and insanity in isolation as quickly as possible thereafter.

In the name of protecting and caring for them, of course.

😷

When the old folk run out of food they can always chew the carpet............
lol

And for the maths fans here-

Conclusions: In the close contacts of COVID-19 patients, nearly half or even more of the 'asymptomatic infected individuals' reported in the active nucleic acid test screening might be false positives.

Some update info missing for today, but it's all looking horrendous.

Some update info missing for today, but it's all looking horrendous.

Human nature often looks horrendous to me. The flu..not so much.

Uk- 800 cases 11 deaths .. horrendous

Hi c_v,
I have to say I'm with David Knight, Attila and others on this issue. I think it's overblown. Not a fuss about nothing exactly but, in the grand scheme of things, I don't believe that it's that big a deal. Massive amounts of hype, very little in terms of outcome. As Atilla says, it'll blow over in a matter of months and everything will return to normal post-haste. Massive, as in once in an generation, opportunity for longs.
Tim.

Hi c_v,
I have to say I'm with David Knight, Attila and others on this issue. I think it's overblown. Not a fuss about nothing exactly but, in the grand scheme of things, I don't believe that it's that big a deal. Massive amounts of hype, very little in terms of outcome. As Atilla says, it'll blow over in a matter of months and everything will return to normal post-haste. Massive, as in once in an generation, opportunity for longs.
Tim.

Well Tim, i'm not sure how you square that view with the increasingly draconian measures that countries the world over seem to be implementing. The measures suggest that things will only return to normal once the pandemic is brought under control.
So perhaps you and others can explain to us HOW we get it under control.

Country,
Other
Total
Cases
New
Cases
Total
Deaths
New
Deaths
Total
Recovered
Active
Cases
Serious,
Critical
Tot Cases/
1M pop
Italy24,747+3,5901,809+3682,33520,6031,672409.3
Iran13,938+1,209724+1134,5908,624165.9
Spain7,798+1,407292+965176,989272166.8
France4,499+30120+29124,36730068.9
UK1,372+23235+14201,3172020.2
China80,849+253,199+1066,93110,7193,22656.2
Netherlands1,135+17620+821,1134566.2
USA3,329+38663+6593,2071010.1
S. Korea8,162+7675+38347,25359159.2
Philippines140+2911+3212711.3
Germany5,813+1,21411+2465,756269.4
Japan839+3524+2144671366.6
Australia300+525+227268111.8
Switzerland2,217+84214+142,199256.2

You know all those anti-vaxxers, who don't believe in vaccinations, should they be denied any medicine when it becomes available?

That seems pretty optimistic, Tim, relying first on whether businesses can weather the storm in the short term - shouldn’t like to be running an airline, for example - and second whether future demand picks up quickly where I suspect confidence will take some time to recover, let alone the wherewithal.

The economic situation has been brought about by government action, rather than the virus itself which, although nasty and virulent, is only flu with a death rate a couple of percent higher than other flu strains. I’m very high risk since at 80 it’d likely be a death knell if I picked it up on top of the lung infection I’ve got at the moment (getting better :)) so in lock-down for the duration and next holiday about to be cancelled. If I were one of the 80% who can expect only a week’s nasty fluey type illness, at worst, then I’d be pretty miffed that my life (and wealth) was being so heavily disrupted.

Sounds like you have Crona already to me. Who decides what is Crona and what is not?

The stages are quite varied. Not everyone gets fever. All a bit haphazard to me. No fixed pattern but a number of patterns.

I'm beginning to question authorities as I don't understand why would you not close schools given that kids likely to be one of the biggest crowd of people who are likely to mix with parents/friends/grandparents in crowded places. Doctors say you may have the virus and spread it whilst not being aware of symptoms.

Banning events but keeping schools open is crazy logic to me. Smells like rotten fish!

And the floodgates are opened .....

The US has cut interest rates to almost zero and launched a $700bn stimulus programme (giving to the filthy rich) in a bid to protect the economy (the very wealthy) from the impact of coronavirus.

It is part of a co-ordinated action announced on Sunday (to protect the very wealthy) in the UK, Japan, the eurozone and Switzerland.

Announcing the US move, the Federal Reserve (private bank of the filthy rich) said the "outbreak has harmed communities (the filthy rich) and disrupted economic activity (flow of wealth to the filthy rich) in many countries".

US President Donald Trump (filthy rich) said the Fed's action "makes him very happy".

The Fed has cut rates to a target range of 0% to 0.25%, and said it would it begin buying bonds (printing money) - quantitative easing - a move that pumps (devalues the purchasing power of) money directly into the economy.

The central bank had already cut interest rates by half a percentage point after an emergency meeting on 3 March. It was the first (panic move) rate cut outside of a regularly scheduled policy meeting since the financial crisis in 2008.

Oh yes please, I'd like a modest few billion at 0% ! 😷

Meanwhile, back at the ranch,

California Governor Gavin Newsom has issued sweeping new restrictions for the US state, issuing a compulsory isolation order for all residents aged 65 and above.

Governors in Ohio and Illinois have issued similar orders.

Clang! Clang!

Oh Yez, oh yez!

Clang!

Lock up the Lepers !

Clang!

Bring out your dead !

Clang!

😷

You know all those anti-vaxxers, who don't believe in vaccinations, should they be denied any medicine when it becomes available?

You're asking :

should people who don't want something..
.. be denied it?

I think I can speak on behalf of 'anti vaxers'

Yes please

Nice sentiments though trendie- Kill the people who disagree with you.

This coronavirus is certainly not a terrible world-destroying plague. But there is cold logic in the government's delay policy.

In the end we should all WANT to catch the coronavirus. If we don't catch it (and survive it) we will have no natural immunity, so will have to depend on a vaccine that has not yet been developed: if we survive that long.

The problem is if you catch it when thousands of other people catch it, and you're unlucky enough to develop a strong form of the illness, the health services may be unable to keep you alive as they'll be too busy.

Still can't understand the loo paper thing though.....

In the end we should all WANT to catch the coronavirus. If we don't catch it (and survive it) we will have no natural immunity, so will have to depend on a vaccine that has not yet been developed: if we survive that long.
Yup.

When all is said and done, it's a variant of the Flu Virus.
Which has co-evolved with humanity for millions of years.
Thus 99.999% of people with normal, average, functioning immune systems will barely notice it.

Most humans easily survive well over a hundred Flu infections in their lifetime, occasionally suffering short spells of high fever and incapacity in the process.

Yes, it's a killer in extreme cases or for those with compromised immunity, but it's one we've evolved to live with.

It's not the black death or smallpox.

😷