Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

TREND :pIVOTS

Okay,now that we know that a higher high is when the previous bar's high is crossed,and a higher low is when the low is higher than the previous bar's low,and that a series o.........................................................

u want to learn how to use pivots???

"
I am now confused as to what an 'extreme' is Barjon.

read the note again, solo. The "difference" is where ftse actually sits against where it would be calculated to be by reference to dow.

eg: today's open ftse 5702 dow 12906
08:30 today ftse - 6 @ 5696 dow + 4 @ 12910

by reference to dow the ftse should have been + 2 (dow +4/2) and therefore the difference is -8 and the ftse has traded weak by that amount.

-8 is pretty small so you'd prefer something much bigger, ie: an "extreme".

Let's say that ftse was weak from yesterday's close by -30 then you might think that was sufficient of an extreme to anticipate a period of ftse trading strong. Thus, if you wanted to play the 08:30 reversal with a ftse long you'd be comfortable with a dow hedge if it went wrong.

Hope that clears the fog a bit :)

morning Barjon.
VOD down 2.3% making ftse appear weaker than it is.

aye vod a big gun in ftse and counts for a lot. I reckon this is why you see the ftse/dow differences occurring. When they stop hitting the big gun likes of vod their effect becomes neutral

aye vod a big gun in ftse and counts for a lot. I reckon this is why you see the ftse/dow differences occurring. When they stop hitting the big gun likes of vod their effect becomes neutral

VOD now down 3.1% it reported results today

can u put it down in 3 sentences?

I'm getting very good at trading the left hand side of the chart and not so hot on picking entry points that work... which is why I have been sticking to mas crossing together but that doesn't happen every day. I suppose specifically I am thinking:

1) Is there not much point trying to trade pivots unless you have an established trend ie the low, first high thereafter, a higher low and then a higher high.

2) When is a pivot is taken out? by a % or by a whole candle etc

All very subjective of course

I'm getting very good at trading the left hand side of the chart and not so hot on picking entry points that work... which is why I have been sticking to mas crossing together but that doesn't happen every day. I suppose specifically I am thinking:

1) Is there not much point trying to trade pivots unless you have an established trend ie the low, first high thereafter, a higher low and then a higher high.

u watch the william greenspan video i posted? about pivots?

if not here is the youtube video title "Legendary floor trader William Greenspan - Day Trading Made Simple"

For my twopennyworth, you've only got two choices when entering a trade - going up, or going down - and your choice is governed by your overall strategy (eg: reversal strategy or continuation strategy). Nothing predicts so you are really just going to make an assumption at some stage.

You are best making that assumption at a level or a time that something significant is likely to happen - eg: pivot points, reversal times - but never forget that we are just making a guess (albeit an informed one) of what is going to happen next. It follows that the real trick lies in managing your trade, not taking it in the first place.

People seem to devote 90% of their energy to where they are going to get in, but you may have noticed that doesn't move your account one jot. What moves it is where you get out and that, to my mind, is where 90% of peoples energy should be devoted.

Sorry - homily over :LOL: