Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

Not that I am name dropping or anything :D

but guess who is on a webinar with John Carter this afternoon???? :cool:

Martin

over last week and this. It's about -30 overall from where it would be had it kept pace with dow. More strong days than weak days, tho - if you can call +1 strong :LOL:

it's not been hugely weak overall.

jon

Thanks jon for the figures. I guess I base my observations on whether the ES and FESX break out to a new high, and invariably the FTSE doesn't. Or the ES and FESX retrace to 38% where to FTSE seems to retrace more. Maybe it's just that moves on the FESX are magnified more than the FTSE.

It seems we have just had an explanation for last night's volume, today's options expiry! Thank you to ctlpast who reminded us this morning, but you never know if expiry is going be a damp squib or a volatile 5 min spike. Well we just got our answer. I am guessing this was all a force by the options traders.

Not that I am name dropping or anything :D

but guess who is on a webinar with John Carter this afternoon???? :cool:

That is a serious bit of name dropping. So what's it all about? Nothing to do with Trade the Markets? I didn't figure you for a TTM Squeeze fan.

coo, just got a protective hedge in time near the high - cost me a few points though since ftse weak on the drop

closed off - golf

ftse went strong on the latest rise so the net hedge added nearly 5 ftse points to the protected 9:00 reversal gain.

Being a bit lazy, but it is an option expiry day today?
Re- reading my post I think it could be misinterpreted
in " lazy" I was referring to myself only.
Apologies if anyone took it any other way.

Below is Martin CJ' s post last 18 Nov which I thought was very useful information.

D, every third friday of the month is equity index options expiry. Most futures traders trade the nearest quarter expiry, which is currently the December contract. But the options market trades every months expiry. So every third friday in the month at 10:15am we get some volume and some squaring of positions on the FTSE futures and options that can affect normal price action.

The FESX expires at 11am, the FDAX at 12pm, the FCAC at 3pm, and the ES at 2:30pm. For the US individual shares, the options expire at 9:15pm. These are all UK times.

I've watched enough options expiries now to know to be cautious and expect slow plodding days with usually a spike in prices.

Below is Martin CJ' s post last 18 Nov which I thought was very useful information.

D, every third friday of the month is equity index options expiry. Most futures traders trade the nearest quarter expiry, which is currently the December contract. But the options market trades every months expiry. So every third friday in the month at 10:15am we get some volume and some squaring of positions on the FTSE futures and options that can affect normal price action.

The FESX expires at 11am, the FDAX at 12pm, the FCAC at 3pm, and the ES at 2:30pm. For the US individual shares, the options expire at 9:15pm. These are all UK times.

I've watched enough options expiries now to know to be cautious and expect slow plodding days with usually a spike in prices.

Lie you I tend to be a bit lazy on these days.. past experience tells me best to be really cautious these days,, cut down size ,, better still dont trade :rolleyes:

That is a serious bit of name dropping. So what's it all about? Nothing to do with Trade the Markets? I didn't figure you for a TTM Squeeze fan.

ha ha .. I have become a big user of applying fibs and fib clusters.. there are a couple of excellent exponents of this technique in the US and I signed up for a free trial of their live trading rooms, they have John Carter in the room today as a guest.

Lucky timing really.

Don't know if anyone is interested , but thought I would post my latest FTSE cash analysis based on Gann techniques.. you can quite clearly see from a timing and price perspective where use of Gann shows direction and possible turning point.

Attachments

• Gann FTSE.JPG
    Gann FTSE.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 122

Many thanks ctl. I sometimes forget what I posted. I even look like I know what I am talking about there, for once.

We never seem to see the same volume spike when the ES options expire at 2:30pm.

Don't know if anyone is interested , but thought I would post my latest FTSE cash analysis based on Gann techniques.. you can quite clearly see from a timing and price perspective where use of Gann shows direction and possible turning point.

John

Have you talked to Fred Stafford. He's the Gann Guru in the UK. He's not good at explaining why, but good at applying Gann.

On the daily charts, the ES has already blown through the October high. The FTSE is just touching it. This up move has not really had any significant pullbacks since about December 8th, so there must be something in the next two weeks.

John

Have you talked to Fred Stafford. He's the Gann Guru in the UK. He's not good at explaining why, but good at applying Gann.

On the daily charts, the ES has already blown through the October high. The FTSE is just touching it. This up move has not really had any significant pullbacks since about December 8th, so there must be something in the next two weeks.

Its Fred that has been training me :)

but still got a long way to go :smart:

Its Fred that has been training me :)

but still got a long way to go :smart:

Fred's a nice old schoolmasterly northerner. Don't know, just is. Matter of fact lad.

Good luck with Gann.

Today should be a sell short day, so at some time today there should be that sinking feeling.

Anything is better than Eastenders! Shut it!!!!!!

Looking back through previous high volume closes of the last year, there does seem to be a tendancy for it to reverse the next day. I guess we need to see tonights close first. I am looking for the ES to make a move up to 1312.50 and bounce off. That would make it a 161.8% extension.

My comments on eastenders were geared at the market in general - as it traded closer to 5750 the more exciting it was getting (unlike eastenders) just a bit of fun.

However you seemed to have taken it the wrong way perhaps thinking I was having a go at your post but this was not the case, if I had I would have highlighted in the normal way.

I had hoped you meant this as a joke but it seems not therefore I will
SHUT IT !!!!!

And leave you to it.

My comments on eastenders were geared at the market in general - as it traded closer to 5750 the more exciting it was getting (unlike eastenders) just a bit of fun.

However you seemed to have taken it the wrong way perhaps thinking I was having a go at your post but this was not the case, if I had I would have highlighted in the normal way.

I had hoped you meant this as a joke but it seems not therefore I will
SHUT IT !!!!!

And leave you to it.

I think the joke was continued by Shut it as it is a frequent quote from the show - if we can so describe Eastenders

f

It's "shut it you slaaaaag"

Aussie $ breaking out, should be good for indexes.

Sidekicker

Your knowledge is better than mine
Many years ago Eastenders was on the TV when my father walked in - he changed the channel and stated that such rubbish was never to be present in his house again - ever

What a visionary!

f

Sidekicker

Your knowledge is better than mine
Many years ago Eastenders was on the TV when my father walked in - he changed the channel and stated that such rubbish was never to be present in his house again - ever

What a visionary!

f

You could expand that to almost anything on TV TBH.
Don't get me started on how crap Big Brother, X Factor, Coronation St, or any of that other stuff is.