Active day and swing traders

mornin' all

been neglecting our thread recently - finding it difficult to find decent candidates at the moment. those i do get i'm treating with caution and taking some quick profit as an insurance policy (that's when they're not stopped out. of course :( ). The ftse drop and recovery scenario hasn't suited me at all and my win rate's dropped alarmingly over the last few weeks.

currently long ici and bg, short azn

good trading

jon

Yes, Dave. It's been a bit lonely here. Silvia and me have been keeping the pot simmering between us.

Anyway, my gambling instincts have come to the fore this morning after having, with the greatest of care and many thumbnail charts, lost money this week. DGE is resting on support so I'm in on that (just a weeney trade :eek: )

B/O DGE 833.4

Last edited:
Splitlink said:
Yes, Dave. It's been a bit lonely here. Silvia and me have been keeping the pot simmering between us.

Anyway, my gambling instincts have come to the fore this morning after having, with the greatest of care and many thumbnail charts, lost money this week. DGE is resting on support so I'm in on that (just a weeney trade :eek: )

B/O DGE 333.4

Split, check your keyboard because I think it must have a bug :LOL:

'afternoon all,

Well I'm back from my break (missing the sunshine already <sigh>). Nothing triggered properly yet but I've had KGF in my sights yesterday & today & couldn't resist shorting @ 215.75 just now.

Will close this one quickly if it hasn't fitted my rules by tomorrow, otherwise, hope I'm in for a reasonable ride: this is a dog which ought to bark :).

Good trading all,

Mark

marben said:
'afternoon all,

Well I'm back from my break (missing the sunshine already <sigh>). Nothing triggered properly yet but I've had KGF in my sights yesterday & today & couldn't resist shorting @ 215.75 just now.

Will close this one quickly if it hasn't fitted my rules by tomorrow, otherwise, hope I'm in for a reasonable ride: this is a dog which ought to bark :).

Good trading all,

Mark

Well, it seems everybody is back! Nice to read you all again.

Jon, ICI looks good, and AZN short too! KGF looks really good too Mark! I think I might be joining you with KGF...

Good trading!

Silvia.

What a day! It's not even 11 and I got stopped out of

short TSCO in the early morning (pity)
long AL.

I decided to close my long position on DSGI.
So, I'm 100% short now, that seems to be the right side at least for the first half of today.

Good trading,

Silvia.

Well, I'm out of KGF again @ 216.75 for a 1pt loss: it didn't quite meet my entry criteria this morning & looks like it's going to be further away by COB today. From level 2 it looks like there's a big buyer in the market meeting all the sell orders. Looks like I'll have to keep waiting on this one...

Nothing else meets entry criteria either but quite a few stocks "on the radar".

Good trading!

Mark

B/O WMH for 522.5. This tested 512.5 this morning first thing. Let's see if that was the low for today.

Split

'morning all,

Well, it remains quiet for me. None of my prospectives yet meeting entry criteria, so sitting on my hands :|

Good trading all,

Mark

' morning mark et al,

me quiet too. still with previously reported positions but nothing new.

whilst you're idle you might like to run your sliderule over gsk, pru and mrw for something to do!!

good trading

jon

barjon said:
' morning mark et al,

me quiet too. still with previously reported positions but nothing new.

whilst you're idle you might like to run your sliderule over gsk, pru and mrw for something to do!!

good trading

jon
Funnily enough, PRU& MRW are already amongst my prospectives but not "ripe" yet! GSK is going on my list (as in a long term uptrend) but RSI needs to drop below 50 (& then start to recover) before it's ripe for me.

Later I'll be reviewing the whole FTSE100 again but seems like a good opportunity to get some Xmas shopping done.

Cheers!

Mark

Hi Guys!

I didn't open any new position today as I was busy with other stuff. I got out of my short in AV., I think I didn't entered it right :( Also I closed my FDL short after midday, as it started to go up and broke the downtrend of the last few days. I'm still holding AGA short. I'll be searching for new positions tomorrow.
I hope you had a good day!

Silvia.

It would be hard to short AV. on such a dymanic move upwards. If you check a weekly MACD of this chart you'll not only see a MACD cross, but it also comes from below 0 which makes the signal stronger. So the weekly trend is against you on this one, be careful! These type of moves when the Weekly MACD crosses from below 0, the stock will very rarely create a nice pullback for people to jump on the long side. The same situation applys to BARC HBOS at the moment, which have both had the same powerful Weekly signal, and both didn't pullback to a short term moving average.

'morning all,

Well, busy one this morning. AZN, KGF & XTA passed my entry criteria on last night's EOD data for positional trades. AZN & XTA have triggered this morning, so long XTA @ 1410 & long AZN @ 2620, expecting resumption of long term uptrends.

Looking at a short in KGF but it hasn't triggered today.

Regarding AV, I also have this on my radar for a possible short-term short swing trade, based on divergences in daily MACDs (6/19 and 12/26), plus the fact that it seems to be ranging rather than trending. However I am waiting for it either to break short-term support @ 675 or resistance @ 690 on daily charts.

Watch out for the LSE "witching hour" this morning (3rd Friday of the month).

Good trading all,

Mark

techst said:
It would be hard to short AV. on such a dymanic move upwards. If you check a weekly MACD of this chart you'll not only see a MACD cross, but it also comes from below 0 which makes the signal stronger. So the weekly trend is against you on this one, be careful! These type of moves when the Weekly MACD crosses from below 0, the stock will very rarely create a nice pullback for people to jump on the long side. The same situation applys to BARC HBOS at the moment, which have both had the same powerful Weekly signal, and both didn't pullback to a short term moving average.

Good eye Techst! I went long at the open!!! :) I just entered to post this and I found your post. I went long because it's been trading on a range for the last 5-6 days. I overlooked the signals you're talking about. Initially I thought that it was a nice short because of the historical resistance level. I decided to exit my short but I kept watching it. For the same reasons, if it broke like it did today I thought it could be a good long. I'm still not sure, but I think it's worth a try.
I'm watching fdl go lower than my closing price. Pity, I think it was a false signal. I don't dare to go short again though, I see a support at 425 and the risk/reward ratio doesn't work well if I short it again now.
I'm still holding AGA short, waiting to see if it breakes previous low.
Good trading!

Silvia.
(I spent my whole morning trying to sort out software problems. I hate when this happens!!! Finally I fixed it, but it's almos 10:30 and I haven't had time yet to find new trades! Ok, to work now)

Mark, I've just read your post. That's right! Actually yesterday it broke the 690 resistance level, Today it went higher. It could also be a false bo, time will tell.

mornin' mark

i see we're at it again then :cheesy: i've still got a part-position (took some "insurance policy" profit) running short on azn.

still long bg and ici and looking at cbry short.

today's action so far looks like putting ftse back into uptrend for me if the close is above 502 so i'll then move to favouring longs - just as well, the last couple of weeks favouring shorts hasn't been anything to write home about.

good trading

jon