Active day and swing traders

mornin' mark

haven't gone "off rules" have you - tut, tut :LOL:

new longs this morning : rio and bats

so fixated on riding gsk bounce yesterday that i missed a target exit on cbry - beginning to look as if i won't get a second chance and it'll finish up as one of those irritating "could have made 25 points" as break even triggers. anyone new to all this might like to reflect that if i'd been paper trading i'd have booked the profit - and therein lies the difference ;) (today's homily :cheesy: )

good trading

jon

Well, now long in BT @ 215.25. Swing trade on price divergence from daily MACD. Also looks like a "double bottom" forming in chart.

Cheers,

Mark

Attachments

• bt.jpg
    bt.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 227
Hi Jon,
barjon said:
mornin' mark

haven't gone "off rules" have you - tut, tut :LOL:
'fraid so & I've now moved my stop to a guaranteed profit :eek:

barjon said:
Anyone new to all this might like to reflect that if i'd been paper trading i'd have booked the profit - and therein lies the difference ;) (today's homily :cheesy: )
Hear, hear: better to trade with small stakes initially, so you can book REAL profits and REAL losses.

SAB has now triggered long too, as a positional trade - looks like long term uptrend resuming. Hope all these triggers aren't false, due to short-term bullishness. I suspect, though that the market will end higher than it is now by the year end (my guess for the FTSE100 is 5650), though there may well be a pullback in the meantime.

Current position: Long AZN, BLND, BT.A, HG., SAB, SDR, XTA; short CNA, KGF

Good trading!

Mark

Well stopped out of BLND @ 990, so got my small profit guaranteed by the stop. Disappointed not to have got more but a profit's a profit.

marben said:
Well, now long in BT @ 215.25. Swing trade on price divergence from daily MACD. Also looks like a "double bottom" forming in chart.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark,

Interesting - bt still in downtrend for me until 217 goes. Not one I took, but the last short trade was signalled after the swing high (below white line) with exit target the earlier low (thick blue line).

Yesterday gave a potential swing high which was taken out by todays action. Today may give another (unless it goes higher than 217) and therefore a potential short.

'Course it may just keep racking up higher highs until 217 goes which will change the trend for me when focus goes to the long side. Since I'm not in it and you are, I hope it does just that :cheesy:

good trading

jon

Attachments

• bt.a.JPG
    bt.a.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 170
barjon said:
Mark,
...'Course it may just keep racking up higher highs until 217 goes which will change the trend for me when focus goes to the long side. Since I'm not in it and you are, I hope it does just that :cheesy:
Thanks for that Jon. As ever, two different ways of looking at the same chart :). I did see that risk too, so my trade size is pretty small. I went for it because my general view of the market is bullish (though it looks like today is going to be a "down" day), so I reckoned balance of probabilities was in my favour. Looks like I've entered a bit early (with hindsight) but the trade has strictly met my rules and trigger conditions, so I must enter.

At the moment I'm trying three types of trade: positional trades based on long-term trends; swing trades based on MACD divergences; and swing trades based on time-cycles (supported by MACD signals). With all of these I'm also checking against support/resistance levels and moving average behaviour.

Once I've tried these methods for a few weeks and reviewed the results, I'll have a clearer idea of what works best for me.

Best regards,

Mark

Glad to see that some of you like to play for a bounce. I had a good one with DGE recently but am finding that my REL buy, two days ago, is sticking a bit. I have been looking at BLND recently because of the nice, juicy swings on it.

Split

'morning all,

Now also long CBRY @ 567.5. Another positional trade that's triggered, presuming long term uptrend is resuming.

Looks like BT is struggling against that 217 resistance level, so today is probably make or break for that trade.

Good trading,

Mark

Well, BT seems to be bouncing back from resistance at 217, so took profits on trade @ 215.75

Hey guys, joining you on the CBRY trade Marben in at 566 got in yesterday near the close. A big elder 'kangaroo tail' alerted me to the setup.

Hey Any One Here Know The Best And Most Economical Way To Link Tradesation To A Datafeed Ive Been Tryin To Do It Via Hyperserver To A couple Of Diffrent Data Vendors (mbt Navigator....quote.com..)but But Having A Few Teething Problems..??apologies In Adavnce If Iv Missed Any Relevant Posts...

Regards ..moh

marben said:
'morning all,

Now also long CBRY @ 567.5. Another positional trade that's triggered, presuming long term uptrend is resuming.

Good trading,

Mark

mark and tech

hey! don't rub it in guys :eek:

good trading

jon

moh5658 said:
Hey Any One Here Know The Best And Most Economical Way To Link Tradesation To A Datafeed Ive Been Tryin To Do It Via Hyperserver To A couple Of Diffrent Data Vendors (mbt Navigator....quote.com..)but But Having A Few Teething Problems..??apologies In Adavnce If Iv Missed Any Relevant Posts...

Regards ..moh
Welcome moh,

Sorry but I am not familiar with Tradestation. This might not be the best forum to post such questions on though. Suggest you try the tradestation one: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=92.

Good luck!

Mark

barjon said:
mark and tech

hey! don't rub it in guys :eek: ...

Sorry Jon,

Esp after you reminded me of the possible resistance on BT @ 217 - thanks for that. I'll probably re-enter if it gets to 218 next week (haven't checked EOD data yet).

Have a good weekend,

Mark

Hi all. As a newbie I have been following this thread with fascination for a couple of months now and really appreciate the way you all share ideas and views here - it seems a great place to start to learn. Anyhow, it looks to me like ICI is setting up for a long swing opportunity and was wondering if anyone has this view too? Thanks, Evo.

Hi Evostik,

Welcome to the thread.

On my trend measurement it does now qualify as in a long-ish term uptrend. It has, however, had a big climb during November & with my methods, I'd be waiting for a bigger pullback & start of recovery before entering. But my methods are quite experimental still, so, let's see what others think.

One lesson I've learnt over the last year's trading is that it's better to miss a few good trades through overcaution than to enter too many bad ones through being incautious. I'm trying to be very selective in what I enter now (though it might not look that way, looking at the number of positions I've got open at the moment :) )

Good trading,

Mark

evostik said:
Hi all. As a newbie I have been following this thread with fascination for a couple of months now and really appreciate the way you all share ideas and views here - it seems a great place to start to learn. Anyhow, it looks to me like ICI is setting up for a long swing opportunity and was wondering if anyone has this view too? Thanks, Evo.

Welcome, evostik

As you may have seen on here I've been long ici for a couple of weeks now so I hope you're right :)

For me, though, I won't get a second signal untill there's a 3 bar pullback. With reasonably clear air above (although some may take account of possible resistance at around 340 stemming from the six month congestion in 2002) taking out last Wednesday's high would seem positive.

My half euroworth

good trading

jon

Attachments

• ici.JPG
    ici.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 228
Mark and Jon

Thanks for replying so quick. I guess I will continue to keep an eye on it in the morning and see; maybe only a break thru Friday's high will give me a decision to make? Out of interest, I have very recently gone long on RIO but am starting to get a bit worried about that one though still in hope of breaking late September high.

Thanks again,

Evo

Morning all, and welcome evostick.
been sitting on my nice profits on shp, iii & sdrc so have not traded too much these last days.
Invested the locked in profits in:
AVE, CSTL & CTM.
AVE: Been a nice performer for several months and the last couple of days falls seem to have no real significance except as a buy sig, especially as the falls were on very low vol.
CSTL: a slightly lack lustre stock but the bid talks that failed seems to have created a correction that looks like a buy opp. MACD (IMHO) is distorted due to the failed bid fall. Gone small as am not 100% convinced
CTM: After the recent falls where the end Oct lows were tested we seem to be moving back up. Would be nice to see the July highs!

Good trading to all.
Dave

'afternoon all,

Short GLH @ 884, on negative MACD divergence..Left this one a little late - was intending to sell if price crossed 888.5 support level - but thought there was going to be an intraday pullback up when it did. Reduced the size of my trade due to increased stop loss distance as a result.

Current positions: Long SDR, AZN, XTA, HG., SAB, CBRY. Short KGF, CNA, GLH.

Evostik: looks like a good decision to "wait and see" on ICI. Suggest you keep a close eye on it.

Good trading!

Mark