Active day and swing traders

Marben.

Just looked at some of your shorts,are you trading on price cross over of the 20sma.?

afternoon all,

fluke - i've got gsk "indeterminate" at the moment. i suppose it's no surprise since it's sitting near some pretty strong longer term resistance. in the shorter term the bottom of the range may prove a tester.

marben - i'm still running counter to you in bsy so one of us will be happy :)

good trading all

jon

Attachments

• gsk.gif
    gsk.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 163
Hi barjon.
I have closed gsk now and have made a small profit,am just trying shorting on rolling contracts and have just discovered that the closing price is based on to days open.EG I opened my short at 1348.6 with £1.00 a point and closed at 1346.4 and expected a profit of £2 20 but was pleasantly surprise to get £6 50 because I can only think it opened at £13.52 to day.Some thing else I have learned to day.Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks.Or do you think the sb have made a mistake?.

Fluke said:
Hi barjon.
I have closed gsk now and have made a small profit,am just trying shorting on rolling contracts and have just discovered that the closing price is based on to days open.EG I opened my short at 1348.6 with £1.00 a point and closed at 1346.4 and expected a profit of £2 20 but was pleasantly surprise to get £6 50 because I can only think it opened at £13.52 to day.Some thing else I have learned to day.Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks.Or do you think the sb have made a mistake?.

fluke

I suspect the £6.50 relates to today's trade (rolling is treated as a separate trade each day, I think) which offsets yesterday's loss. What does your account history show - should be showing a loss for yesterday and a profit today with a net increase to your balance of £2.20.

good trading

jon

Fluke said:
Thank's you two,I would like to trade like you do,but I am no good at day trading,have tried it but cannot do it.
It's just a hobby for me, I dont do this for a living,but I like to see how you do it,thats why I follow this thread and I respect your veiws and am sure you both are skilled at what you do,wish I was..
LOL Regards

:eek: thanks, yeah its fun trading full time. i guess its better than any kind of hard drugs but its as addictive. :cheesy:
i am still trying to improve and learn. thats why i started this thread to share ideas, and from this so far i have come across many good traders. and u have shown a few good trades too and its only ur hobby, respect. ;)

Fluke said:
Thank's you two,I would like to trade like you do,but I am no good at day trading,have tried it but cannot do it.
It's just a hobby for me, I dont do this for a living,but I like to see how you do it,thats why I follow this thread and I respect your veiws and am sure you both are skilled at what you do,wish I was..
LOL Regards
Thanks Fluke,

Glad someone finds our notes interesting.

Don't take my comments too seriously - I've only been doing this full-time for 9 months, so certainly wouldn't class myself "expert" yet

All my best,

Mark

Fluke said:
Marben.

Just looked at some of your shorts,are you trading on price cross over of the 20sma.?

Almost! I look for trades where weekly MACD has recently changed direction and use daily stochastic or "Elder Force Index" to determine whether a trade is ready to enter (in principle). Finally, I'm looking at Level 2 data to decide exactly when to enter and exit.

This is originally based on the "Triple screen trading system" described by Alex Elder in his book "Trading for a Living" which I've adapted according to my experience over the last year. It seems to work for me!

Rgds,

Mark

barjon said:
afternoon all,

fluke - i've got gsk "indeterminate" at the moment. i suppose it's no surprise since it's sitting near some pretty strong longer term resistance. in the shorter term the bottom of the range may prove a tester.

marben - i'm still running counter to you in bsy so one of us will be happy :)

good trading all

jon

:cool: Barjon,

Yup! I reckon it will kick-up shortly (I hope before it hits my stop). There've been a run of "bad news" items lately which have depressed the price: departure of Sky Sports MD, risk to Premier League rights from Setanta/NTL. I'm hoping/expecting that price will recover in the run up to interim announcement.

From the chart POV, BSY seems to be approaching a daily stochastic bottom. It might, however, go down as far the bottom of it's Bollinger band (around 515) before recovering. Fortunately, my stop is somewhat below that level, so with a bit of luck we'll both be happy! You may well get out of your short with a good profit and the price may then recover so I make mine. Sometimes I'm too optimistic for my own good :LOL:

BTW for Fluke's info I don't really consider myself a "day trader". Whilst I do sometimes try to pinch a few quid by "scalping" my main trading style is positional and I'm happy to remain in a trade for a few weeks if necessary.

All my best,

Mark

Closed 50% of BATS short @ 1044. Looks like there's some support coming in at that level but my trading rules indicate that I should really be staying in until there's a more definite rise - hence leaving remaining 50% of trade at present. (opened trade on 11/7 @ 1090)

marben said:
You may well get out of your short with a good profit and the price may then recover so I make mine. Sometimes I'm too optimistic for my own good.

All my best,

Mark

mark

well, i've just taken a goodly chunk of mine so i don't mind if the rest is hit by a sudden bounce. anything to help a fellow trader in distress :cheesy:

good trading

Cw

That big buy (several of 'em, in fact) has just printed, so I'm having a crack at scalping CW, shorted @ 149.5

barjon said:
mark

well, i've just taken a goodly chunk of mine so i don't mind if the rest is hit by a sudden bounce. anything to help a fellow trader in distress :cheesy:

good trading
Congrats barjon, it'll take a bit more than one losing trade to distress me, though :cheesy:

marben said:
That big buy (several of 'em, in fact) has just printed, so I'm having a crack at scalping CW, shorted @ 149.5
..and closed the short @ 149.25. Got out quick as it wasn't doing much & might rebound.