Active day and swing traders

mmm after the recovery of the ftse towards the end and of the dow last nite, it just shows how strong and determinant this bull really is. but is it?

khi said:
mmm after the recovery of the ftse towards the end and of the dow last nite, it just shows how strong and determinant this bull really is. but is it?

...for the meanwhile but I'm sure reality will catch up eventually. Anyway, who cares? Surely you trade as the market tells you to?

I'm currently long BSY, CNA and WMH and short GSK. GSK has been a real party for me lately :cheesy: :

Short in £50 on 14/6 @ 1350, closed 15/6 @ 1328
Short in £50 on 16/6 @ 1338, closed same day @ 1336 (failed trade, tiny profit)
Short in £70 on 23/6 @ 1360, closed 30/6 @ 1360 (also failed but tiny profit on overnight interest)
Short in £70 on 30/6 @ 1369, closed 5/7 @ 1347
Short in £70 on 5/7 @ 1356. Realised I'd c**ked up trade size relative to my stop, so
closed £40 on 6/7 @ 1372, accepting loss. But closed other £30 yesterday @ 1315
Short again yesterday in £50 @ 1367 (just before end of day)

very nice marben, i am still sitting on my shorts closed a few yesterday, but still shorting on rsa, ici and bsy. can see around 5220 as strong resistance

khi said:

mornin'

yes, maybe it's at a level where it would have been with the slight disappointment of no interest rate cut.

all my pretty charts look a total mess, of course, so i'll be in some difficulty for a bit - i'll try and exclude thursday and today from the equation. i don't use indicators, but anyone who does will be scratching their heads 'til yesterday drops off.

Many, many sympathies to anyone caught up in the carnage and to anyone who has lost family or friends.

jon

barjon said:
mornin'

yes, maybe it's at a level where it would have been with the slight disappointment of no interest rate cut.

all my pretty charts look a total mess, of course, so i'll be in some difficulty for a bit - i'll try and exclude thursday and today from the equation. i don't use indicators, but anyone who does will be scratching their heads 'til yesterday drops off.

Many, many sympathies to anyone caught up in the carnage and to anyone who has lost family or friends.

jon

yeah, to me it was confusing with rising oil price and now the picture is even more confusing, but i dont think i can ignore what happened yesterday though. so i am gonna just sit still with what i have as they are still in the money, until i get stopped out of course.

theres no word in my dictionary can describe these ppl who carried out such attacks.

khi said:
yeah, to me it was confusing with rising oil price and now the picture is even more confusing, but i dont think i can ignore what happened yesterday though. so i am gonna just sit still with what i have as they are still in the money, until i get stopped out of course.

theres no word in my dictionary can describe these ppl who carried out such attacks.

khi, Barjon,

Just want to support your sentiments concerning yesterday's attacks. Our best response is not to be deterred from our normal lives and work by them (easy for me say, working from home outside London ) but to be vigilant.

marben,

absolutely, and not get drawn into vituperative blanket responses against people like some have done on the terrorist thread. part of the terrorists aim is to get people at loggerheads with each other.

well, i'm back on dry land with land, but what a roller coaster. off to golf now so leave you guys to raking in the pennies.

good trading

jon

khi said:
ooops closed bsy shorts

Hi khj,

Just noticed your post about CS - I used to be long this one too but got stopped out when it tanked recently. I'm monitoring this one for a good re-entry but it's a bit high for me at the moment.

Overall I agree with you that it's one to go long on but, as ever, timing is crucial.

Cheers,

Mark

:)
marben said:
Hi khj,

Just noticed your post about CS - I used to be long this one too but got stopped out when it tanked recently. I'm monitoring this one for a good re-entry but it's a bit high for me at the moment.

Overall I agree with you that it's one to go long on but, as ever, timing is crucial.

Cheers,

Mark

first of all marben, well done on ur bsy, i got stopped out :rolleyes: . i have been watching and waiting for cs. for quite sometime now. and finally see them moving above the 50 ma, i just cant help it but buy a few. will see what happens. totally agree with u that timing is curcial. where is ur likely entry point?

khi said:
:)

first of all marben, well done on ur bsy, i got stopped out :rolleyes: . i have been watching and waiting for cs. for quite sometime now. and finally see them moving above the 50 ma, i just cant help it but buy a few. will see what happens. totally agree with u that timing is curcial. where is ur likely entry point?

Sorry to admit (to Jon's horror ;) ) that my trading strategy is more indicator based than price based (with a bit of fundamentals mixed in for confirming/contra-indicating trade direction). I'm waiting for a daily stochastic and/or Elder force index low, ideally with a price below 42 but only if weekly MACD continues to point up. It looks like the indicators might be right for me to start a trailing stop based entry-technique on Monday.

Like you, I expect this one will reach 50... but when?

BTW I read some scuttlebut on Motley Fool that CSFB are "manipulating the price" of CS. I don't give it much credence though.

marben said:
Sorry to admit (to Jon's horror ;) ) that my trading strategy is more indicator based than price based (with a bit of fundamentals mixed in for confirming/contra-indicating trade direction). I'm waiting for a daily stochastic and/or Elder force index low, ideally with a price below 42 but only if weekly MACD continues to point up. It looks like the indicators might be right for me to start a trailing stop based entry-technique on Monday.

Like you, I expect this one will reach 50... but when?

BTW I read some scuttlebut on Motley Fool that CSFB are "manipulating the price" of CS. I don't give it much credence though.

it sounds interesting what u use, but seem s complicated to me as i like to just keep it simple as i am not a bright person, i get confused easily :cheesy: . i use just 50 and 14 ma plus slow stocastocs on daily candlesticks to pick out trend, the rest will jsut concentrate on price action.

it could be true what u read re csfb, cos they could be representing or managing some the steel tycoon's portfolio. "hopefully" the chart formation, that i think it is, is for real. :rolleyes:

Good luck with CS, khi!

For me, the risk of a fall Monday or Tuesday is too high to enter just now. The price has run up a heck of way since 27th June. I may well be wrong (often am :cheesy:), however and miss a good one....

marben said:
Good luck with CS, khi!

For me, the risk of a fall Monday or Tuesday is too high to enter just now. The price has run up a heck of way since 27th June. I may well be wrong (often am :cheesy:), however and miss a good one....

thanks marben, well got to be in it to win it (if not lose), :cheesy:

khi said:
very nice marben, i am still sitting on my shorts closed a few yesterday, but still shorting on rsa, ici and bsy. can see around 5220 as strong resistance

Ahem... Ahem... FTSE now 5229 (sorry khi...couldn't resist it :cheesy: ) mind you, GSK hasn't gone my way today. Still, quite a way to go before it hits my stop.

marben said:
Ahem... Ahem... FTSE now 5229 (sorry khi...couldn't resist it :cheesy: ) mind you, GSK hasn't gone my way today. Still, quite a way to go before it hits my stop.

yeah yeah yeah , u can laugh, childish behaviour does not bother me cutting loses dont bother me either as i expected to lose before i open a trade anyway :) .

i have closed rsa short too only lost a penny on it. :|

barjon said:
mornin'

jon

its not nice at all to hand back profits, on one hand i am glad to see the market has pulled back up after what happened, but on the other hand, i feel gutted that i did not take my profit on those shorts. o well i just have to be quick next time when trading on events. :|

nevermind, lets move on, just bought half my usual size on some gsk.