Where is the Dow & others heading in 2005?

Quick question......The CPI figures.....were they dollar bearish or dollar bullish?

Dollar bullish I would have thought as the inflationary aspect increases the likelihood of the Fed getting more aggressive with interest rates, but maybe the market doesn't agree......!

I'm being a bit careful with the Dow shorts - the Naz may have an island reversal on the charts which could give support to the other indices..... :confused:

But.. DAX isn't responding too well at all and neither is FTSE, will give it a little longer before deciding. wish I could just leave it....

FetteredChinos said:
+100 banked thankyou very much :)

now short from 180, like the rest of you seem to be. :eek: (this concerns me!)

FC

Six Dow stocks up, twenty four down. It's being held up by Caterpillar +4%, Intel +3%, Altria &JPM +2% & United Tech +1%.Interestingly although Honeywell first qtr income was up 22% the stock is down 1% today.

This market should really be going down...!!!
Oil, inflation... blah blah... hmm, mad bulls...

Joules MM1 said:
Advances 1028 (32%) Declines 1932 (61%)
DOW JONES INDUSTRIAL AVERAGE IN (^DJI) At 11:08AM ET: 10,180.69 +53.28 (0.53%)

Tell me there's not something wrong with those numbers !

Therein lies a reason to be biased to the short side..

Bonsai was always a fan of A/D divergance....

well spotted though Jouley :cheesy:

FC

10,080 close for the week anyone?

target for this short is 10,110, stop at 10,260 (great r/r eh :) ). might overshoot a bit though. might not.

could go sideways?

suspended trading?

who knows. :)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A federal appeals court on Wednesday refused to reconsider a recent ruling that barred the government from seeking $280 billion in past profits from cigarette makers as part of its civil racketeering case against the industry, a Justice Department spokesman said.

The spokesman said the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit rejected the government's request that the full court review a ruling by a three-judge panel last month, which dealt a blow to the government's case by ruling 2-1 that it cannot pursue past industry profits.

Dollar bullish I would have thought as the inflationary aspect increases the likelihood of the Fed getting more aggressive with interest rates, but maybe the market doesn't agree......!

Yes I would have thought that the figures were dollar bullish aswell but the technicals on the euro gave support at 130 region and now I believe the euro and sterling are travelling to the highs again and the temporary dollar upturn is over.

FetteredChinos said:
+100 banked thankyou very much :)

now short from 180, like the rest of you seem to be. :eek: (this concerns me!)

FC

Good call, FC !

Which of your strategies are you using on the Dow ? (if you don't mind me asking ).

Regards,

a version of Mr Whippy actually, i think

based upon mean reversion of weekly range...

current weekly range is approx 200 dow points..

when we get to approx half-to-two thirds of that, you would expect a reversal to a degree.

the secret ingredient is knowing when to take a profit etc...

FC

Yawn... suppose we will have to wait until the 6 o clock usual time.. oh perhaps not, they must be back from lunch early

FetteredChinos said:
closed for +70.

+170 for the week. 2 trades

you have been a lovely audience :)

I am convinced you have sold your soul to the devil to be this good.

edit: my two shorts, 10,080 and 10,128 are at break-even.

I am convinced you have sold your soul to the devil to be this good.

I suspect that he's got a hot line to Mrs Charts....... :LOL:

Well done that man.........!!!......... ;)

ps - It's still got that gap to fill at 070ish.......

Well done FC

S&P tried and tried but couldn't get through the 200d ma.
Bears rule this side of the line!

Well, it managed to bootstrap itself above the 10100 mark yesterday, but if 10100 doesn't hold today it could be but a small trip to sub 10K - even today.

Seems like it's itchin' to take out 10000? But there was a lot of vol to the downside, surely enough to put the brakes on downside for a while. I've shorted @ 087, looking for a bit of momentum to grab me a few points, but, this ones probably going to bounce straight back, knowing my 'luck' just recently, now that would really headf@%k me?

Dow has been INCREDIBLY volatile over the past half hour, up and down 30 pts in a matter of minutes.
Could this be the run up to the drop below 10,000 ????