Where is the Dow & others heading in 2005?

DOW will hit 7450

That is no way extreme in my opinion....

We could be forming a MAJOR top in the next 2 to 4 weeks. Extremely major as in we may not see these levels again for the next 2-5 years or so........

The first trade targets December by which time I believe we will have at least tested the range bottom at 10,000 and possibly a shot at the October '04 lows.

The second set of trades targets circa 2007 targeting an approximate 20-30% move lower in the markets. Obviously these are speculative trades and fall under the description of top picking All will be options trades, no stops.

How can I sum that information up.......?

In relation to my research I would say no way is that optimistic......In my opinion your taking a sensible approach.

If I just may add, your approach to 'many' may not seem sensible at this stage and to some it'll seem wildly optimistic.........But that is the consensus that major market tops create. Most think alike and by the time the last few start to turn long that is the time when it's all over.....

I have never had such a bearish opinion (I'll follow that by taking heavy short positions soon)..........I'm not skeptical of being long........I will 100% not turn long not at this juncture.......2 weeks to 4 weeks at the most........and we'll start to travel towards the years lows......We will see choppy upside entering the market soon.......Very choppy.....

When we start to fail at the resistance levels and when we start to give up the days intraday gains that'll be the last warnings........if we're lucky.......

Outright......Down......No two ways about it in my opinion.....Most will have different opinions but we'll soon find out........Charts always look most bullish near tops..........famous last words......

Last edited:
LION63 said:
RogueTrader,

I will also be using options to back the view as the potential losses are known an quantifiable at the outset. I cannot stand sleepless nights.
Lion - what "options" are you referring to in this comment ?

I spread trade the Dow and other indices and I also buy and sell put and call options on the FTSE. Are you referring to long puts and short calls on the Dow and if so are these on Dec 05 contracts ?

kriesau said:
Lion - what "options" are you referring to in this comment ?

I spread trade the Dow and other indices and I also buy and sell put and call options on the FTSE. Are you referring to long puts and short calls on the Dow and if so are these on Dec 05 contracts ?

Kriesau,

I am not the son or nephew of a Japanese Kamikaze pilot, "long puts and short calls", if I get it wrong I am toast.

I will be buying Dec 05 puts.

Why do you buy puts and sell calls? Is it not an extremely risky strategy or have I read your post wrongly?

LION63 said:
Kriesau,

I am not the son or nephew of a Japanese Kamikaze pilot, "long puts and short calls", if I get it wrong I am toast.

I will be buying Dec 05 puts.

Why do you buy puts and sell calls? Is it not an extremely risky strategy or have I read your post wrongly?
I have two FTSE Option strategies:
1. Sell both Calls and Puts to maximise premiums and buy them back around 200pts further away as stops
2. Sell either Puts or Calls and cover at 200pts as a stop.

Until recently I was using strategy 1 and averaging around 4% net monthly on my investment. However with the new auction EDSP there were two absurd drawdowns in Feb and June against the Calls so I switched to Puts only for the moment and will switch to Calls when the market starts to turndown. I'm not a fan of naked Options and I want to trade on the margin.

What level to you expect to buy your Dec Puts ?

Kriesau,

Thank you for clearing that up. That is a nice strategy you have there that is yielding a very reasonable return.

I will buy either the 9500 or 10000 Dec puts which were 72 and 135 respectively, the last time I looked. As a few members and market commentators have said, the markets are likely to rise 50 to 100 points during the week. As such, I will wait until the DOW is up at least 50 points and then buy the options.

Granted they are deeply out of the money and are practically worthless, and the DOW will have to drop 6% for them to be at the strike price, not to mention recovering the time value element of the premium. There is a possibility (quite high) that the options will expire worthless but the flip side is that I believe in my analysis of the markets and 5 months is long enough to find out if the big hitters agree or not. In the event that they do, they will be very profitable.

LION63 said:
RogueTrader,

I know I am bearish and have often taken flack for uttering what some call the unthinkable, but do you not think that 7450 is a bit extreme? For the record, I stated at the turn of the year that the DOW will hit 7450 or less and I still stand by that view.

I will also be using options to back the view as the potential losses are known an quantifiable at the outset. I cannot stand sleepless nights.
Lion I don't see it as extreme, dramatic yes, but not extreme at all. The market has risen quite strongly in the face of a steadily deteriorating envoironment. I believe the US has a lot of problems that have the potential to negatively impact the market quite significantly.
There are questions about the real strength of the economy. Unemployment may not be as good as it sounds. "The current low U.S. unemployment rate probably understates the true level of joblessness by 1 to 3 percentage points", says Katharine Bradbury, the senior economist at the Boston Federal Reserve. "Millions of potential workers who dropped out of the labor force during the recession four years ago have not returned as expected and are thus not counted in the official unemployment statistics. "
Inflation is low, which is a good thing, unless you have a recession. Core inflation is below 2%. There are many observers who think the economy will soften in the latter half of this year. I'd agree with that view. Raising rates while the economy is in the process of softening can help bring about a recession. And a recession today (or an economy only growing 1-2%) with inflation so low would almost certainly bring back the deflationary scares of 2002.
Oil and energy prices are beginning to have an effect upon consumer spending and are certainly a drag on growth.
The low interest rate envoironment has fostered a significant rise in the price of homes, if not a housing bubble in certain areas. The Fed, as they should be, is concerned about adding fuel to the flames. Allowing a real housing bubble to develop because of an overly stimulative Fed policy would create real problems when it burst. Significantly falling housing prices in the US is a problem that the Fed has few, if any, tools to deal with. When housing bubbles burst they are generally accompanied by foreclosures and thus oversupply on the housing market. Because of the large number of houses that are being bought for investment purposes with little or no money down (in some areas as much as 20% of homes are bought for investment/flipping purposes), a cycle of foreclosure would be difficult to stop with interest-rate cuts alone.
The Fed has major problems ahead of it imho. On the one hand they are aware of the potential housing bubble, and one of the ways to try and combat that is the steady rise in rates, but at the same time they have to be careful not to slow the economy too much.
One of the tricks in trading as I'm sure you know is getting the timing right, if the Fed pauses on interest rates that may give stocks a bit of a rally, but I don't think that will be overly significant and will retreat quickly as the market becomes aware the Fed paused because of a softening economy. That won't be at the next rate decission on August 09th, but they may modify their language in that statement to drop the "measured" phrase.
The DOW I'm unsure of at the moment as regards upside potential gien that it has been lagging, as such there may not be much more than 100-200 points The SPX I think has a good shot at 1253 since that is only 23 points from here depending on how it holds up on the next correction, and I would not expect any higher than that. I am however aware that a market can rise more than you think when you start trying to pick tops, hence the use of options, as you say they define your risk up front. in this situation I think you will just need enough time to allow things to unfold. I believe when the move down truly gets under way we are likely to experience a significant price shock to the downside which will be exacerbated by the current complacency among investors The forward looking forcast of companies this earnings run will be interesting. GE have already warned that they will likely be below consensus.

roguetrader said:
Lion I don't see it as extreme, dramatic yes, but not extreme at all. The market has risen quite strongly in the face of a steadily deteriorating envoironment. I believe the US has a lot of problems that have the potential to negatively impact the market quite significantly.
There are questions about the real strength of the economy. Unemployment may not be as good as it sounds. "The current low U.S. unemployment rate probably understates the true level of joblessness by 1 to 3 percentage points", says Katharine Bradbury, the senior economist at the Boston Federal Reserve. "Millions of potential workers who dropped out of the labor force during the recession four years ago have not returned as expected and are thus not counted in the official unemployment statistics. "
Inflation is low, which is a good thing, unless you have a recession. Core inflation is below 2%. There are many observers who think the economy will soften in the latter half of this year. I'd agree with that view. Raising rates while the economy is in the process of softening can help bring about a recession. And a recession today (or an economy only growing 1-2%) with inflation so low would almost certainly bring back the deflationary scares of 2002.
Oil and energy prices are beginning to have an effect upon consumer spending and are certainly a drag on growth.
The low interest rate envoironment has fostered a significant rise in the price of homes, if not a housing bubble in certain areas. The Fed, as they should be, is concerned about adding fuel to the flames. Allowing a real housing bubble to develop because of an overly stimulative Fed policy would create real problems when it burst. Significantly falling housing prices in the US is a problem that the Fed has few, if any, tools to deal with. When housing bubbles burst they are generally accompanied by foreclosures and thus oversupply on the housing market. Because of the large number of houses that are being bought for investment purposes with little or no money down (in some areas as much as 20% of homes are bought for investment/flipping purposes), a cycle of foreclosure would be difficult to stop with interest-rate cuts alone.
The Fed has major problems ahead of it imho. On the one hand they are aware of the potential housing bubble, and one of the ways to try and combat that is the steady rise in rates, but at the same time they have to be careful not to slow the economy too much.
One of the tricks in trading as I'm sure you know is getting the timing right, if the Fed pauses on interest rates that may give stocks a bit of a rally, but I don't think that will be overly significant and will retreat quickly as the market becomes aware the Fed paused because of a softening economy. That won't be at the next rate decission on August 09th, but they may modify their language in that statement to drop the "measured" phrase.
The DOW I'm unsure of at the moment as regards upside potential gien that it has been lagging, as such there may not be much more than 100-200 points The SPX I think has a good shot at 1253 since that is only 23 points from here depending on how it holds up on the next correction, and I would not expect any higher than that. I am however aware that a market can rise more than you think when you start trying to pick tops, hence the use of options, as you say they define your risk up front. in this situation I think you will just need enough time to allow things to unfold. I believe when the move down truly gets under way we are likely to experience a significant price shock to the downside which will be exacerbated by the current complacency among investors The forward looking forcast of companies this earnings run will be interesting. GE have already warned that they will likely be below consensus.
Agree with your summary and conclusion.
Short term IBM, 3M and Citigroup report tomorrow. They should set the tone for tomorrows direction.

C misses by 4c and CEO says
The capital markets environment was one of the worst we have seen in years, and combined with a flattening yield curve, led to a significant decline in our fixed income markets revenues.

3M said it would earn $1.06 to $1.08 a share for the third quarter, including 3 cents a share dilution from the pending Cuno Inc. acquisition. The First Call-derived average forecast stands at $1.09 a share before items.

In addition, 3M said 2005 earnings would be $4.20 to $4.25 a share, excluding items, up from a previous estimate of $4.15 to $4.25. First Call's average figure stands at $4.23 a share

Shares of 3M gained 2 cents on Friday to $75.45.

Looks like a good day to play poker to me. The winner of the World Series this weekend made $7.5 million. Not bad for a few days work. I doubt even Socrates could make money that fast :)

Attachments

• 75.jpg
    75.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,179
A touch at 10650 seems highly likely at this stage......

Should close below this level though....

FTSE 250 fell for yet another day today, down 36 and
Russell 2000 index of smaller companies fell 5.18, or 0.78 percent, to 658.56.