Where is the Dow & others heading in 2005?

WORLD MARKETS

The markets have failed to break out of their trading range for the last 5 months or so and it does not seem that there are any catalysts to push them up. The current yield on the S&P is less than that on bonds and the average PE ratio is significantly higher than historic levels. Faced with the prospect of static corporate profits or at best very low rises, there is little potential for this to provide a tail wind for earnings. Fortunately, the FED is almost at the end of the rate raising cycle and oil seems to be stuck in a range of $45 – 55 per barrel, barring a geopolitical disaster, this is unlikely to change in the short term.

However, before those of a bullish disposition contemplate a 10% or more real return from the markets for the current year, there are a number of very dark clouds on the horizon that may well bring the current bull rally to a screeching halt and these have to be considered.

The European Constitution is in the process of being ratified by the 25 members who are at odds as to the type of Europe they want to belong to. The French are certainly going to reject it and the Dutch will probably follow suit, this will more than likely lead to the fall of the Chirac government in France ( Shroeder to follow soon) and lead to uncertainty in Europe. The knock on effect will be a fall in the Euro on the FOREX Markets especially against the Dollar. The reversal of the US depreciation policy will undo all the administrations work of the last year or so; imports will rise; exports fall and deficits soar from the current absurd levels. As a consequence, the FED will have to stop raising rates and probably do the unthinkable – lower the Discount Rate. Germany and France already have unemployment rates in excess of 10% and the falling Euro will lead to fewer jobs and lower profits for their uncompetitive industries, more than likely the direct consequence will be more protectionist policies.

The reflationist policies of the Anglo-Saxons has not had the required effect and are about to be reversed forcefully. Defaults and bankruptcies are on the rise, sales falling, wages falling (in real terms) and even real levels of unemployment are rising. The consumer cannot bail us out anymore as he/she is in need of an elixir to get rid of personal indebtedness that sometimes borders on immoral. How can an individual by food on credit? Why would a sane individual have credit card debts in excess of their outstanding mortgage? If the individuals fail to pay off these debts, who will pick up the tabs? Where will the US and UK governments find the money for extra Social Security payments from? The answer is higher taxes and borrowings in an environment of contraction.

This would leave corporations to pick up the slack through investment and extra spending but where will they find the money? Definitely not from higher margins or sales and certainly not from the debt markets. They will attempt to slash costs in order to raise profits (in some cases, stay afloat), and that does not bode well for the job market or economy at large.

But those with large telescopes are looking east to the Orient and they can see the Chinese coming to our aid with a revaluation of the Reminbi/Yuan (How daft, what is the logic in the currency having two names?) and throwing money at our Western goods. Unfortunately, those in power hid reality from the masses, and thus are about to push us over the cliff and into the abyss; a revaluation in the Yuan is bringing inflation to a high street near you as all the imports will be much more expensive. Needless to say the trade deficits will spiral out of control.

CONCLUSION:

In the next 12 months or so the current lofty levels of the Western stock markets will be akin to the tech bubble of the 90s only this time the pain will be much worse and wide spread. Unless there is a major shift in policy we might well be headed for the abyss.

LION63 said:
WORLD MARKETS

The markets have failed to break out of their trading range for the last 5 months or so and it does not seem that there are any catalysts to push them up. The current yield on the S&P is less than that on bonds and the average PE ratio is significantly higher than historic levels. Faced with the prospect of static corporate profits or at best very low rises, there is little potential for this to provide a tail wind for earnings. Fortunately, the FED is almost at the end of the rate raising cycle and oil seems to be stuck in a range of $45 – 55 per barrel, barring a geopolitical disaster, this is unlikely to change in the short term.

However, before those of a bullish disposition contemplate a 10% or more real return from the markets for the current year, there are a number of very dark clouds on the horizon that may well bring the current bull rally to a screeching halt and these have to be considered.

The European Constitution is in the process of being ratified by the 25 members who are at odds as to the type of Europe they want to belong to. The French are certainly going to reject it and the Dutch will probably follow suit, this will more than likely lead to the fall of the Chirac government in France ( Shroeder to follow soon) and lead to uncertainty in Europe. The knock on effect will be a fall in the Euro on the FOREX Markets especially against the Dollar. The reversal of the US depreciation policy will undo all the administrations work of the last year or so; imports will rise; exports fall and deficits soar from the current absurd levels. As a consequence, the FED will have to stop raising rates and probably do the unthinkable – lower the Discount Rate. Germany and France already have unemployment rates in excess of 10% and the falling Euro will lead to fewer jobs and lower profits for their uncompetitive industries, more than likely the direct consequence will be more protectionist policies.

The reflationist policies of the Anglo-Saxons has not had the required effect and are about to be reversed forcefully. Defaults and bankruptcies are on the rise, sales falling, wages falling (in real terms) and even real levels of unemployment are rising. The consumer cannot bail us out anymore as he/she is in need of an elixir to get rid of personal indebtedness that sometimes borders on immoral. How can an individual by food on credit? Why would a sane individual have credit card debts in excess of their outstanding mortgage? If the individuals fail to pay off these debts, who will pick up the tabs? Where will the US and UK governments find the money for extra Social Security payments from? The answer is higher taxes and borrowings in an environment of contraction.

This would leave corporations to pick up the slack through investment and extra spending but where will they find the money? Definitely not from higher margins or sales and certainly not from the debt markets. They will attempt to slash costs in order to raise profits (in some cases, stay afloat), and that does not bode well for the job market or economy at large.

But those with large telescopes are looking east to the Orient and they can see the Chinese coming to our aid with a revaluation of the Reminbi/Yuan (How daft, what is the logic in the currency having two names?) and throwing money at our Western goods. Unfortunately, those in power hid reality from the masses, and thus are about to push us over the cliff and into the abyss; a revaluation in the Yuan is bringing inflation to a high street near you as all the imports will be much more expensive. Needless to say the trade deficits will spiral out of control.

CONCLUSION:

In the next 12 months or so the current lofty levels of the Western stock markets will be akin to the tech bubble of the 90s only this time the pain will be much worse and wide spread. Unless there is a major shift in policy we might well be headed for the abyss.

What a great post and I endorse your sentiments.

One proviso - cause and effect are not always as clear cut and that some kind of 'collective muddle through' often results in blunting some of the more logical consequences of unfolding events.

Looks like Saudi King Fahd is on the way out and the Non Nuclear Proliferation talks have broken down again with North Korea remaining a wild card on the world stage. These developments may not be viewed positively by the markets next week.

King Fahd has been ill for many years now and is regularly in and out of hospital. CP Abdullah has been running the country in all but name for probably 5+ years now, so I doubt there will be too much in the way of a shift in their stance to worry the markets. However stranger things have happened, but I shouldn't think the markets will worry until some evidence of such stranger things surfaces, if they are to happen.

Lion,
Re: ur post today 4540

Brilliant post i totally agree with the points mentioned.

Pls read Daniel chapter TWO. This prophecy fortells the downfall of the EEC European community and perhaps the Euro currency.

Bull
Stay hedged at all time and keep smilling :LOL: :cheesy:

Briefing.com
The market now enters the dreaded summer months. The May to October period over the past 50 years has produced no gain in the Dow. All of the gains have come in the November to April period.

Thanks for post about the $VXD a great find

user said:
RT acutally there is......you want to see it :)

$VXN is the tick symbol and it is for the NASDAQ

This is even worse.

The Nasdaqs doing great and fantastic.......but the Sell signal given is massive!!!!

Glad the question above was asked as I new we had a measure for the Nasdaq but hadn't looked at it recently.....

The one for the Dow is $VXD, this one is not at the lows yet....

Have a look at these two articles, more information is provided.....

http://stockcharts.com/education/IndicatorAnalysis/marketindicators1.html#VIX

http://biz.yahoo.com/opt/050505/dc9e9e9358ea3fc6c6e5718ca3035634.html?.v=1

Racer said:
Briefing.com
The market now enters the dreaded summer months. The May to October period over the past 50 years has produced no gain in the Dow. All of the gains have come in the November to April period.

From 1975 this is true except for, 75,78,80,82,83,84,85,86,88,89,93,94,95,96,97,2003. Unless i'm missing something here.

counter_violent said:
From 1975 this is true except for, 75,78,80,82,83,84,85,86,88,89,93,94,95,96,97,2003. Unless i'm missing something here.
LOL

They got that wrong then didn't they!

S&P to 1500 by December

It seems to me it's likely we'll see the S&P at 1500 before December. The markets played around the current levels in March or so of 2001, and have been fighting that ceiling ever since. Shorters are leaving the market and coming in on the other side, quietly but surely. The buoyancy should be felt by September as conventional models feel the pressure and you should see things advance quickly through October and November. No one's going to believe it, and there will be some downside to the run, but if you get in early and stick with it, you should have a nice tidy profit by the time things settle out at year end. Longer term options might be a good strategy, as you can get good pricing on them now and cash in at whatever point you feel comfortable during the run up. Futures will be somewhat more problematic as you will lose a bit rolling over your contracts. ETFs for that period should also see substantial increase in value. Best of luck.

matthewhanson said:
It seems to me it's likely we'll see the S&P at 1500 before December. The markets played around the current levels in March or so of 2001, and have been fighting that ceiling ever since. Shorters are leaving the market and coming in on the other side, quietly but surely. The buoyancy should be felt by September as conventional models feel the pressure and you should see things advance quickly through October and November. No one's going to believe it, and there will be some downside to the run, but if you get in early and stick with it, you should have a nice tidy profit by the time things settle out at year end. Longer term options might be a good strategy, as you can get good pricing on them now and cash in at whatever point you feel comfortable during the run up. Futures will be somewhat more problematic as you will lose a bit rolling over your contracts. ETFs for that period should also see substantial increase in value. Best of luck.

Hey Matt - I think that your wrong (and thats not just a few bottles of wine talking either). I think that we will see the SPX test 1000 before it gets a look at 1500. The US economy is very fragile and it appears that the cyclical bull rally has almost run its course. The earlier post from Lion really sums up the current scenario. But then, contrarian opinion is always welcome since nobobdy has a monopoly on wisdom or insight.

Good luck to you on your future trades.

Kriesau,

Thanks for your note. I'm not saying things won't dip before it starts, nor do I have much opinion on what's going to happen between now and September, but I think you will see the run, come what may. Best of luck to you too.

I'd be willing to bet you that bottle of wine if I'm right. Remind me in December if you win.

MH

kriesau said:
Hey Matt - I think that your wrong (and thats not just a few bottles of wine talking either). I think that we will see the SPX test 1000 before it gets a look at 1500. The US economy is very fragile and it appears that the cyclical bull rally has almost run its course. The earlier post from Lion really sums up the current scenario. But then, contrarian opinion is always welcome since nobobdy has a monopoly on wisdom or insight.

Good luck to you on your future trades.

matthewhanson said:
Kriesau,

Thanks for your note. I'm not saying things won't dip before it starts, nor do I have much opinion on what's going to happen between now and September, but I think you will see the run, come what may. Best of luck to you too.

I'd be willing to bet you that bottle of wine if I'm right. Remind me in December if you win.

MH

Matt - I'm interested in your interpretation of the current economic cycle which leads you to the conclusion that the SPX will regain its previous 2001 high of 1500 by the end of this year. If it does then that would probably put the Dow at a record high too.

Lion posted a very interesting commentary yesterday (post # 4540) which I broadly agree with and that suggests a very different outcome to the one that you are predicting.

What factors have you interpreted which would support such a bullish view.

Hello all,

Been away for the last week - I have email confirming my IB account should be up and running now, but can't log in today - can anyone tell me if there's a problem today, or is it normal that you can't get in at weekends?

Thanks,

SQ

Got in ok now. Next question - I can't seem to get anything other than a blank chart - how do I get the charts working for YM?

senyorqueso - you'll need to wait until Tuesday to get any YM data. IB have recently introduced backfill/historical data but only for the current session.

KenN