Fundamental Analysis UK Housing Boom – Is the Party Over?

Recently the IMF said that the UK's property was overvalued and this could result in a spectacular slump. House prices in the US have slowed down considerably since 2005.

The UK avoided the Recession in 2001 when many countries went into deep recession. Post 9/11 the UK interest rates were at the lowest for many decades, this resulted in a boom in the UK housing market as the cost of mortgages was at its lowest. The low cost of borrowing also saw a boom in the buy to let market with many investors having a big portfolio of properties.

Not only was the UK government on a spending spree but also the UK consumer, due to the easy availability of credit. Currently the UK personal debt level has exceeded more than £1 trillion. It is expected that we could see a significant rise in insolvencies during 2008. The "time bomb" is ticking and could explode at any time; it could be triggered by any of the shocks to the economy. The Northern Rock fiasco was just the first such trigger, which resulted in savers withdrawing over £14 billion from the ailing Rock - no doubt the next 12 months we will witness more such triggers, which will dent overall consumer confidence. This could eventually lead to a big fall in the house prices.

Many "experts" feel that 2008 could see further rises in house prices, and some optimistic forecast has been put at over a 10% increase. Housing demand is influenced by the "feel good factor" resulting into the expectation that the house prices will continue to rise. Some of the reasons for a boom in house prices are;
  • Cheap mortgage rates post 9/11
  • Availability of easy credit
  • Speculation of ongoing price increases
  • Buy to let investors having large portfolio of properties
  • Amateur investors now joining the buy to let bandwagon

The worrying part is when amateur investors join the party; it's likely that we may have seen the peak! One can see similarities with the technology stock boom of 2000. Many investors bought at the peak and after several years they have yet to recoup their losses.

The past year has seen many amateur investors venture into the buy to let market for the first time. This has meant that they have had to buy at the peak, with the mortgage rates almost doubling in the past 5 years.

Currently prices are being supported by the expectations that they will continue to rise, and when this increase fails to materialise the bubble could burst. The house price inflation has been at its fastest this decade as can be seen from the following graph; and since 1995 we have not seen a dip in prices, it has just gone up in one straight line!

Image1-127.jpg

In addition, there are other serious issues with the economy which could trigger a sharp correction, not only in house prices but also the stock market. Some of the disturbing triggers will be;</span />
  • Lenders offering loans of up to 5 times multiples to salary, thus borrowers are overstretching themselves.</span />
  • Increases in mortgage rates have yet to have an impact and often this takes time to react. The mortgage rates have nearly doubled since 2002.</span />
  • Nearly 1 million Britons now own a second home, often as a buy to let investment. When the downturn in economy comes, panic is likely to set in amongst the buy to let investors, which would result in the market being flooded with house for sale.
  • The US sub-prime mortgage crisis also poses more risks for the UK's banking system. In the US the crisis has lead to plunging property prices, creating a loss of consumer confidence with billions of dollars in loss.
  • UK Job prospects are worsening, with many economist predicting unemployment to rise to 1.8 million+. The banking & financial sector has been a big driver for employment growth. Many firms in the housing market; this could result into deteriorating earnings and leading to staff cutbacks.
  • Consumer spending could see a slow down when faced with deteriorating economic and job conditions. Once again this would affect consumer spending, thus lower earnings.
  • Inflationary pressures are driven by high commodity prices, as demand from emerging economies like India and China continue to increase. This not only has an impact on the monetary policies like the interest rates but will have significant impact on earnings, which could lead to a big fall in stock market.

Buy-to-let bubble:
Is the party over? So far the landlords have had it easy, the cheap mortgage rates ensured that the rent covered the mortgage repayments and they benefited from the significant capital appreciation of their portfolio. It surely has been the best investment strategy for the past decade, as many investors have made fortunes and many have "retired" young.

Currently it is estimated that there are over a million buy to let mortgages, and landlords are now feeling the pinch. Past 2 years has seen significant rise in mortgage repayments and we are now seeing signs of price increase slowing down. The rents have not kept pace with outgoings, thus landlord profits have gone down. In some cases landlords are losing on their portfolio. Some areas in the UK have seen an oversupply of buy to let properties resulting into falling yields.

Although year on year prices rose by nearly 5% to December 2007, but the house prices fell for a second consecutive month in December according to Nationwide building society. New mortgages on a buy to let are also slowing, with many lenders now seeking up to 30% deposit and also a requirement that the rent on the property equates to 125% of monthly mortgage payment.

Unless the investor has a larger deposit the rental yield may be insufficient to cover the cost of the mortgage and with no expectations of a capital growth, you are likely to see significant drop in the buy-to-let mortgages. This could even result in many existing landlords starting to liquidate their portfolios. The only incentive to retain portfolios is the expectation of further capital gains. If this expectation evaporates and with falling yield, then there would be no point in buy to let investments.

Newer entrants to the buy to let market could soon face going into negative equity as soon as we start seeing declines in the prices. Furthermore, should the banks suffer to the extent of the housing bust, the fallout would be astronomical!

Changes to the Capital Gains could also contribute to the housing crash. The tax on property gains has been cut from 40% to 18% effective from 1st April 2008. So those investors who are sitting on fat profits would be tempted to lock in gains and also benefit from the lower tax.

Housing Repossessions
2007 has seen a significant rise in home repossessions, and it is expected that this figure will increase considerably in 2008. Rising property repossessions normally spell bad news for the property market creating a supply of houses, which are normally sold below market prices and this can dent confidence.

The Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML) has warned that the number of home repossessions is set to soar to levels not seen since the housing crash of the 1990s. It is also expected that there will be an increase in mortgage repayment arrears in the coming year.

Having said that, the current situation is very different from the 1990s. Firstly in the 90s interest rates were very high and peaked at 16%. We are probably unlikely to see huge scale cases of negative equity like we had in the 90s, due to the huge equity homeowners are sitting on at the moment.

What to do - Action Points?
  • If you are a homeowner and if you are contemplating selling your home, then the time to act is now,given that sharp falls may just be round the corner unless the government can delay the inevitable by aggressive reduction of interest rates.
  • Cash is king - with so much uncertainty, undoubtedly cash is king. Fixed interest and government bonds are increasingly becoming popular.
  • Stock market investment - Although we have seen healthy gains in the markets worldwide, longer term it offers good opportunity. Many analysts are calling for sharp falls in the markets and this should provide a good opportunity of bargain hunting. Emerging markets should also offer a good opportunity in the event of a market correction.

Conclusion
Just as in year 2000, when we saw the NASDAQ stock market boom, we are now seeing some similarities - irrational exuberance in the housing market.

During the NASDAQ boom, we saw many amateur investors jump into the market at the peak, we are now experiencing a similar situation. Many amateur investors are jumping into the buy to let market.

As with all market activity, prices do not go up in one straight line and you will always have price retracement, the question is how big the retracement will be? There is no doubt that a significant house price correction is on the cards, the only question remains is when? It is a case of any one of the triggers to set in - as soon as the first domino falls, panic will set in resulting into significant declines in house prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vultures like this are waiting for the poor to suffer
and once the poor are finished, the vultures will pounce and then increase their property portfolio

View attachment 37052

True - millionnaires are made from the recessions

That photo is truly horrific... but perhaps puts the whole thing into perspective...

I have to say... I do not give a stuff about people in the UK losing their homes and struggling.. because the only thing they will miss is their TV's and trips to the Chinese on a friday night.. I for one will be waiting for the scraps and cashing in...

True - millionnaires are made from the recessions

Yes, but as I indicated in an earlier post only a very few actually make all the cash. Little bit like the markets really where 10% make 90% of the profits and the other 90% fight for the 10% balance.

IF, and it's still a big if, the property market takes a massive hit (some say 50%) then it I think a lot of punters will get caught when they buy at 25% lower. They'll be then forced to take losses as prices plummet further. Perhaps then property will only bottom when the mere mention of the word will make most people puke.

PS. Not a communist at all but a property is first and foremost a place to live, sleep, relax, raise a family, feel protected etc it's not some speculative vehicle for money making and that's a point that so many have forgotton.

If it goes up then great but if not then it shouldn't really effect you. Of course, if it goes down then maybe you get negative equity but that's capitalism, got to accept the good with the bad, can't have it only one way which is what the majority always seem to want....

Indeed.. but the fact people feel the need to own their home is the problem... why ? if they are interested in family etc etc... then why take the risk of losing ? just rent... !!

The thing is that people want their cake and eat it... they want ever rising property prices... they want someone else to take the risk when buying the property (i.e. the lender) they want to hand down the wealth to their children.. etc etc ... BUT they want ZERO RISK !!!!

I am so sick of people entering a free market then bleeting on about it when they get burned...

do not buy if you do not understand the risks... !!! and please do not moan if you do and it goes wrong ... its not like there are no warnings... I would bet that most people never read the cost illustrations or the warnings clearly posted ALL mortgage literature...

Normbeef,

Before I saw your post #201, here's the message to the Reputation I gave to Marwan's post #201:
"A bit of reality/perspective".

Grant.

Norm,

Ignoring those who associate size of property with virility, virtue, social status and everything else which it doesn't represent, I disagree with your suggestion re renting. A mortgage is a millstone until it is paid off. When it is, you have your own home and nobody can take it away. To me, that represents security, freedom from the lender. With rented property, that security cannot exist - you can be thrown out at a moments notice. Of course, you just find the next property to rent but uncertainty equals instability. These views are mine; I don't think they would be shared by the majority.

Grant.

PS. Not a communist at all but a property is first and foremost a place to live, sleep, relax, raise a family, feel protected etc it's not some speculative vehicle for money making and that's a point that so many have forgotton.

So true. Why did so many normally sensible people forget this [or never even consider it] during the last 10 years and let their greed get the better of them ? Sadly, they will learn a painful lesson. Today's generation may now even start to learn a very old lesson: if you have to borrow to buy it then you can't really afford it - possibly only a mortgage or other exceptional commitment would be outside this.

The housing market is so like its financial cousin - opportunities for over-leverage, buying on margin and dreams of riches beyond belief - can cloud the judgement of all but the most expert - and many of these have had some nasty experiences. I really do fear the worst for next winter. With property transactions apparently down now, it will be interesting to see the eventual Land Reg figures which are the best data.

Anecdotal tale - large block of flats (for housing assoc) etc being built on a brownfield site in my local town - thought it bit strange no activity for a couple of weeks - my suspicions aroused. Turns out that the contractor has gone bust. But more worrying is the reason given: they've had £60 million's worth of contracts cancelled recently and this has finished them. Just think of the knock-on effects (which probably aren't yet apparent).

And this is just one example from a small market town in a (presently) prosperous part of the UK Midlands. Property here is holding its price (what's value these days?) mainly because sellers refuse to reduce and buyers are still waiting - S/R battling it out. Yet, amazingly, a neighbouring house recently sold (Land Reg data) at last year's price - couldn't believe it ! Must have been up from London and befuddled by the "cheap" prices - unsuccessful bottom-fishing ?

Like all deteriorating situations, I'd rather be an onlooker than a participant. It will be messy.

Last edited:
Report from the Guaradian

After the boom, the bust Larry Elliott The Guardian, Friday May 30 2008
Article historyAny suggestion that Britain's overblown, over-hyped and over-valued property market is due for a soft landing after the excesses of recent years has just been exploded. We've had the boom: welcome to the bust.

House prices have fallen for seven successive months. Over the past six months, prices have dropped at an annual rate of 11.4% and over the past three months at a 16.1% annualised rate.

Sketching out the data helps expose some of the myths that have grown up around house prices. Myth No 1 is that the problems in the US real estate market would never spread across the Atlantic. This was always a dubious proposition. Both Britain and America have suffered from property bubbles and the key point about bubbles is that they burst. The US bubble burst last year; Britain's has burst this spring.

Myth No 2 is that there is no possibility of a repeat of the early 1990s crash, because that was a one-off caused by excessively low interest rates being followed by a period of 15% interest rates. Since bank rate is now a third of its level in 1990, there is no chance of the UK suffering the same sort of crash again, particularly since this is a small island with tough planning laws and favourable taxation for home owners.

This is a seductively plausible but flawed argument. Interest rates are only one of the factors that affect house prices: just as important is the ratio of earnings to prices, the share of a household's income that is taken up paying off the mortgage and the ability of first-time buyers to get a home loan. All three have been flashing red in the UK for some time. The earnings to prices ratio has risen to record levels; servicing a mortgage takes up a bigger share of family budgets; and the credit crunch means that first-time buyers have found it harder to get a loan.

Myth No 3 is that the pain will be confined to the housing market. Apart from the economy's reliance on the property market, there is a strong correlation in the UK between house prices and consumer spending. The likelihood that the Bank of England will keep interest rates high to fight inflation means that there is a very strong chance that the recession will spread to the rest of the economy.

Finally, there's Myth No 4: that this is disastrous news. It may be for those with uncertain job prospects who bought at the top of the market, and it is obviously not wonderful news for a government 20 points behind in the opinion polls. But the collapse of the housing bubble will end what has been a huge shift in resources from younger and poorer people struggling to buy a property to older and richer people who already have their own home.

It will mean less reckless lending and borrowing, and a more stable economy. The International Monetary Fund has said that 30% of the rise in house prices in the UK cannot be explained by economic fundamentals: a fall in prices of that magnitude is now on the cards. A crash was inevitable.
About this articleClose This article appeared in the Guardian on Friday May 30 2008 on p6 of the UK news section. It was last updated at 18:07 on May 30 2008.

IF, and it's still a big if, the property market takes a massive hit (some say 50%) then it I think a lot of punters will get caught when they buy at 25% lower. They'll be then forced to take losses as prices plummet further. Perhaps then property will only bottom when the mere mention of the word will make most people puke.
QUOTE]

Totally agree with the BIG IF - this time it may well be very tough!
lot of houses ruined, divorces, poverty.
but I would love to see the guy with 850 houses to be clobbered!

QUOTE]

Totally agree with the BIG IF - this time it may well be very tough!
lot of houses ruined, divorces, poverty.
but I would love to see the guy with 850 houses to be clobbered!

boo hoo... well nobody complained when their house was going up like a rocket.. or when they borrowed 20K out of the mortgage and took the kids to Disney !!! and bought a new Mondeo with the change !! bloody chavs..

""Here is the News"" Prime-Mincer Beef anounces his housing market reforms in Parliment today :smart:

Minimum House deposits should be 50% "by law"...
TAX levied 40% against sale price within 5 years of owning a property 20% therefter up to a maximum 20 years ....
There should be a restriction to owning 2 properties MAX per UK resident (1 for non doms or overseas) ...

Thatll show em...

Thing is.... clearly I am talking sh*t ... reality is this...

Even though we face yet another bubble bursting... and the inevitable Political garbage that follows remember "prudence" "not returning to a boom bust economy" ??? la la la la.... (i cant hear you anymore).... la la la

Unless you are like me and have enough cash to buy a house outright...:cheesy: then you will have to ride the peaks and troughs of a free market and hope you get LUCKY and keep your home...

Life is disproportionate..and full of suprises... and thats the way I like it !! :)

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    960.1 KB · Views: 118
Not only is the party over, but all the beer is gone and so is your girlfriend!

I couldn't agree more with the articale in relation to the USA market. We are done. We're talking bank runs and bread lines. The Dollar index is currently recording a price of 76.5dx 82.61ux, but if you cross reference the prices with global product pricing, the actual value of the USD is 0.9260

Ok, do you understand this? The price of Gbp is about 1.9502, the price of Cad is 0.9735, the price of Aud is 0.8732, the price of Chf is 0.9106

What this tells us is that most currencies are trading around parity, but the price of USD is over valued by a factor of 8161% OK, we have borrowed so much more than our net worth that the dicreptancy shows up in the cummalative USD pricing.

Ok, let this sink into your head. Most currencies trade around parity, USD is at 76.2 the price of USD is going to plummet untill it reaches parity then adjust from there.

All that talk about martial law and a USD collaspe is very real. Americans are to stupid to quantify the situation or intelligent to even care. We're losing 20% of USD value every year and this isn't even calculating the balance sheets.
There are rumors that 50% of our most reputable banks are already defaulting on loans, but this hasn't affected us yet because there being bailed out by foreign banks.

We're already collapsed, if the majority of Americans had a clue what was going on theysay the grocery stores would be cleaned out in a matter of days. Holdings in Silos is down by 11% this year, not to mention a bad harvest last year along with even lower Silo holdings from the previous years.

All those rumors about FEMA concentration camps are true. They have camps built for when the bank runs start and after food has been cleaned off the shelfs.

Alot of conspiricy buffs think there is a NEO-con power play 'playing-out', but what these 'buffs' don't understand is that if the economy collapsses, there won't be any food or money. This whole consolidation of power isn't happening just for the sake of Control, but for the fact that Americans are not prepared for this type of event and even trying to prepare the population for this type of event would make it happen that much faster.

There is only a limited amount of resources to prepare people.

The day that America relaxes on it's military posture is the day that our dollar ultimately plummets and people will see no value in America, only risk.

Why would some one invest in the USA when China, Singapore, Hongkong, Russia, Mexico all have better standing Balance Books.

You'd have to be a complete idiot to invest large amounts of money in this country.

As an American the smartest thing you can do is attempt to remove all your capital and convert it to metals and hold it in a bank vault or Safe at home, because I guarantee by the time reality hits you won't have anywhere or any product to put it in.

All the data being released is scewed, the actuall unemployment rate is closer to 12% then the recorded 4%, there total liars.

We're about to enter a nightmare here in America. The NAU is going to try and take over the USA thanks to there manifested collapse. There is going to be so much confusion that the safest place to be will be 'out of the markets'.

Anything USD based is worthless. Sell your stocks, sell your bonds, get rid of your dollars.
All your money is going to be locked and regulated after the collapse.

In fact there going to try and get rid of actaul money in a few years, if you think it's hard to have actuall assets, you havne't seen anything. They want to convert all you money in to credit, instead of having 400k to you name, you'll have 400k Credits to your name and you won't be able to withdrawl it all at anytime. They'll want to know where it's going (terrorist), why you need it and time lines to when it will be available.

And if you are delayed in making a payment, you whole account will be locked.

This is no B.S.

I have more to say, but need a break.

Don't trust your goverment.

\
DT
:)

As a "newbie" was trawling through the site and was Interested to read your prognosis for US economy. And conspiracy.

Must say until recently I might have endorsed this view 100%. However...

May be Bernanke's a might smarter than his predecessor. In fact if the major central banks and Governments pull of what I think they are going to attempt (with the help of OPEC) may be things in the US will not be as bad expected. After all not a single country on this planet can prosper without a strong US economy and faith in the world's reserve currency.

If the US goes down the tubes so does the world. Including the Arabs, China, India and Europe. All of whom wuld have to write of Zillions of dollars of US investments, loans, bonds and reserves etc., I don't believe that it's in anyones interest for that to happen.

In fact if the Fed pull of the great oil price swindle that I think is brewing in Japan, good old Ben will go down in history as an even better Fed chairman than Volcker. Certainly better the Greenspan.

Keep smiling.

DB

All is not lost. Hopefully

DB

Yep... but the point here is that you still need the equity to move up the ladder even though the prices above you fall by a larger monetary value

Salaries don't decline the way that house prices do and as such moving up the ladder becomes more affordable when prices decline.

Paul

Nearly two thirds of members of the Society of Business Economists said that house prices would not rise above last year’s peak until at least 2012. Nearly 15 per cent said that prices may not rise to last year’s levels until 2015.

I think it will be 2015 at least before prices rise to 2007 high's again.

78% think house prices will bottom by 2010. I think it will be later unless prices fall 10% to 15% this year and next. In the 90's house prices fell for 7 years but the biggest one year fall was around 7.5% the next biggest was around 3.5%. If we get 2 years of 10%+ falls the banks and house owners are going to have major problems.

The average two-year mortgage rates have risen to 6.75 per cent, this is the highest level since 1998.

2 year fixed at Nationwide is now 6.95% max loan 90% with £599 mortgage fee on top.

Nearly two thirds of members of the Society of Business Economists said that house prices would not rise above last year’s peak until at least 2012. Nearly 15 per cent said that prices may not rise to last year’s levels until 2015.

I have yet to come across any economists who are able to accurately predict what any market will do let alone the housing market. We were being told back in 2003 by the same group that prices were about to crash and what happened ?

Taking any note of economists is a waste of time on my view.

Paul

I have yet to come across any economists who are able to accurately predict what any market will do let alone the housing market. Paul

Paul - totally agree with you! yet most corporations, banks, investment companies are FULL of the *** economists!!!
what a *** waste of money!!!
As recent as last year some economists were predicting a 20% increase in house prices!!!!

Fair comment ?

This is an extract from post #14 on the BBC website BBC NEWS | The Reporters | Robert Peston

It's part of a hypothetical response on behalf of Joe Public / average working voter by BBC's Robert Peston, in reply to BOE Governor & UK Chancellor's exhortations & explanations to Joe Public to grin & bear it.

"We have a period of great pain coming up, but the reasons for that are not that bankers earn more than other people. The reason is that our current Government has sold the farm. Gordon Brown sold all our gold at a historical low; he stole money from our pensions (and continues to steal more year on year); he borrowed excessively in a boom; fudged unemployment figures by creating quango jobs, despite the knowledge that they would have to be paid for during a downturn; allowed house prices to rise (by excluding them from the inflation figure the BoE are allowed to use), knowing that borrowing against a house would fuel growth, despite it creating a dangerous hole when prices fall. They are just some of his more egregious errors, hopefully the population has woken up to Gordon's grand deception, but I'm not sure everyone has."

The UK Housing Boom party is over; is the above fair comment ?

Paul - totally agree with you! yet most corporations, banks, investment companies are FULL of the *** economists!!!
what a *** waste of money!!!
As recent as last year some economists were predicting a 20% increase in house prices!!!!

The funny thing is that they still are in Australia.

Economists are often employed to comment ... and many see no problem in looking most heavily at any facts that support their employer. I'm not sure it was GBrowns fault - finding a politician willing to put a negative brake on a period of "growth" is pretty hard.

The only thing worse than an economist is a BBC business correspondent, especially if he has an annoying speech idiosyncracy. Evan Davis is pretty good, though.

Grant.