Trading with point and figure

Screenshot_15.png

... long EurChf this a.m, not expecting any huge moves in either direction but more a range-bound nervous jitter.
I.0540/50 area seems to be holding fairly well and 1.0575ish has been a pivot with 1.0590 zone a range top since the 12th. With that in mind I'm long from 1.550 TPs 75 and 90.
Not enough volatility in there for a bounce toward that 75 area so I've pulled the LO at 90 and have taken the 75 down a tad to 70 for both. Chart is 2x3 at 16h35 (16h41 atm) which shows today's action in better detail. The dotted line shows the lower (and I thought minor rez) that I reckoned we'd have cleared before midday....but didn't:rolleyes:
EURCHF_200316_16h35_2x3.png

Not enough volatility in there for a bounce toward that 75 area so I've pulled the LO at 90 and have taken the 75 down a tad to 70 for both. Chart is 2x3 at 16h35 (16h41 atm) which shows today's action in better detail. The dotted line shows the lower (and I thought minor rez) that I reckoned we'd have cleared before midday....but didn't:rolleyes:
Stopped out +1...it's not the virus that's the real killer, it's the boredom...

Stopped out +1...it's not the virus that's the real killer, it's the boredom...
as I was saying: it's the boredom. My revised TP of 70 hit a few mins ago...another 20 pips left on the table, now groaning under the weight of accumulated what-might-have-beens. Solution: reinforced legs...or maybe a second table?

as I was saying: it's the boredom. My revised TP of 70 hit a few mins ago...another 20 pips left on the table, now groaning under the weight of accumulated what-might-have-beens. Solution: reinforced legs...or maybe a second table?
Bugger the table, canty, it’s what’s accumulating in your account that matters. So long as you are getting what you planned and it’s keeping your account ticking along satisfactorily then that’s you trading well and damn the might-have-beens. And if you go off piste and try to chase those mhbs you likely take a tumble. Not convinced? Ok work up a re-entry strategy then :)

Bugger the table, canty, it’s what’s accumulating in your account that matters. So long as you are getting what you planned and it’s keeping your account ticking along satisfactorily then that’s you trading well and damn the might-have-beens. And if you go off piste and try to chase those mhbs you likely take a tumble. Not convinced? Ok work up a re-entry strategy then :)
Absolutely right Jon....unfortunately the re-entry strat also failed dismally (buy order set a tad too low) but hey-ho, I'm used to leaving shed loads on the table - I've a loooong sheet for just that :p

Good Morning: The Long & the Short of it and The Bigger Picture - 17 March 2020 - ADM ISI

Inboxx

profile_mask2.png

Ostwald, Marc
08:42 (10 minutes ago)

to Marc

- Busier day for data of some significance: Singapore Exports to digest,
awaiting UK labour data, German ZEW, and US Retail Sales, Industrial
Production, JOLTs Job Openings and NAHB Housing Index; Eurozone
Finance Ministers' meeting and UK 30-yr Gilt sale

- UK labour expected to suggest demand strong in January, wage growth
seen steady

- Germany ZEW: consensus looks for big fall, but agnostic on how big

- US Retail Sales: core measures seen strong, but may get boost from
stockpiling; gasoline prices to weigh on headline

- US Industrial Production: utilities and auto output to boost, but
manufacturing output seen flatlining

- Audio preview:
https://www.mixcloud.com/MOstwaldADM/adm-isi-morning-call-17-march-2020/

** EVENTS PREVIEW **

With major central banks looking as though they have played most of their meaningful cards in the short-term... to precious little effect, the focus is on new on the Covid19 spread, and govt measures to contain it and to implement fiscal and other legislative measures. That said, economic data is gradually regaining significance, with the overnight Singapore Exports proving to be much better than expected and posting a y/y rise for the first time since November 2018, the rear view mirror of Germany's banal ZEW survey and the rather historical UK labour data on tap ahead of US Retail Sales, Industrial Production and NAHB Housing Market Index and the historical JOLTS Job Openings. The events schedule is quite busy, but seems less likely to impact than unscheduled items, be they virus or policy related. In forecast terms, UK labour data are expected to show continued solid employment growth at +140K, though slower than Q4's 180K, while Average Hourly Earnings are seen little changed at 3.0% y/y and ex-Bonus at 3.2% y/y, but this is data for the 3 months to January. As for Germany's ZEW, the consensus look for -30.0 on both measures, which is in principle an agnostic 'it's going to fall sharply, no real idea how much'. In market terms, today's bounce in equity indices does not detract from the fact that volatility is not going to be easing in a significant way, particularly with the VIX closing at a record high yesterday, and above all in light of continued very large spread widening in pretty much any credit spread indices (see various attached charts), and with defaults starting to materialize (e.g. Frontier Communications). The fact is that until some visibility emerges on when the peak in global Covid19 infections and fatalities might be at hand, no amount of central bank stimulus will offer any reassurance to markets.

** U.S.A. **
- US Retail Sales are forecast to rise just 0.2% m/m on headline and ex-Autos thanks to a price related drag from gasoline sales, but core measures are seen rising 0.4% mm/m ex-Autos & Gas and 0.5% m/m on the Control Group, both of which may have gotten a boost late in latter half of the month from stockpiling (aka hoarding), which requires attention when extrapolating trend rates. Industrial Production is expected to get a boost from utilities and auto output, but see a drag from aircraft (Boeing), but Manufacturing Output is likely to have remained sluggish posting a 0.1% m/m gain after falling 0.1% m//m in January. Perhaps the most interesting item will be the NAHB Housing Market Index that is seen unchanged at 74, and caught between the positive of super low rates, and on the other hand probably emergent fears about job security, and restrictions on movement.

========================== ** THE DAY AHEAD ** ====================

Again not doing much - had a few pips of Stoxx earlier and am now just long EG @.9085 TPs .9110 & 25
Chart is 5x3 but am following with 1x3
EURGBP_200317_18h20_5x3.png

Morning all,
Am currently long Stoxx at 2400 TP 2455 - a 1 lot wonder this a.m as I'm having trouble with my mickey mouse broker's platform and also their charts (which are courtesy of ChartIQ) which aren't working at all...so no peeing and effing atm.