Trading the US the Naz/Mr. Charts Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must stop posting here - so busy typing out with two fingers, GILD rose to my exit level when my eye was off the game!
Closed GILD 62.64 for $1.31/ share profit.
I suspect this down move has bottomed so time to lock in the profits. If it continues I can always enter again.

This one should be a quickie and I'll be tracking it on level 2 but will be out at 62.06 at the highest to lock in minimum of 21 profit

Good morning Alan and Richard,

I have been watching the behaviour of stocks within the opening half hour of the markets for some months, and the management of stocks by those wealthy shadows from the underworld - the institutional Market Makers (MMs). In so doing, I have become alarmed at a thought which is plaguing me - a thought which flies in the face of everything new traders have been taught; indeed against our most basic instincts, and your views on this 'thought' would be most welcome.

Undoubtedly, to enter a trade in the first half hour is a most attractive and alluring temptation as huge movements are effected in either direction. The canny stay out of the markets until at least half an hour has elapsed. However, every morning, thousands and thousands of traders line up on the battle field, holding their stop and limit orders high in the air for all to see. When the battle commences, the MMs, amid fake, counter fake and false trend settings, take out most of the opposing army of private traders as spikes rain down on them from above and below. At noon the MMs retire to the Doldrums (a NY diner?) relatively unscathed, leaving behind them the usual daily carnage.

My thought is this: If the more courageous private traders were to trade the first half hour without stops and limit orders thus revealing little, if any, of their battle plan, the efforts of the MMs to fell them on every occasion would be frustrated. Stupid? probably. Suicidal? possibly. Profitable? if you predict the opening trend accurately, almost certainly. Scary? terrifying!

I know that there are private traders who trade the open in this way, having taken a view on the direction of the opening trend and trading both that trend and the reversal (if it comes!) They do so with one finger on the buzzer, a telephone by their side and at least one change of underclothing. However, the arrows of the MMs would fly over their heads and they would remain in the battle for the potentially large profits to be had at the open. There again, how many in the past have marched forward to the sweet music of rising momentum only to step on a land-mine just before exiting the battle?

Any views?

Best wishes,
Sean

Good afternoon, sean,
I normally trade in the first half hour in fast moving situations using limit orders without any problems.
Sorry not to reply sooner, but the preparations for last Friday precluded reading BBs.

To everyone who emailed wishing me luck for last Friday - thank you very much for your kind thoughts - they are really appreciated ;-)
Speaking to 150+ traders and City people at the Bloomberg TV Centre in the City for two hours was a great honour and an experience I'll always remember and treasure.
Richard

I hope those of you who have read this thread and traded SNDK as it broke down through its pre-market low (one of my techniques as in my previous posts) also got it short from 51.96 all the way down to 50.81 ;-))
Richard

I got on the back of it ( SNDK ) rather too late Mr Charts but I will take your tip on board re the break of the pre-market low.

Do you also enter long on the break of a pre-market high ?

I hope those of you who have read this thread and
traded SNDK as it broke down through its pre-market low (one of my techniques as in my previous posts) also got it short from 51.96 all the way down to 50.81 ;-))

Mr C,

please could you elaboate on this "technique".

Thanks

ek1

quick few points for keano aswell :)...doubt i'll beat yesterdays 150odd cents though ;)

Attachments

• feb05.bmp
    1.4 MB · Views: 190
pre-market trade high 50.50, but most trades high were at 50.30
I waited a little too long reading the tape and level 2 and didn't get in till 50.40
it reached 50.86 then quickly drifted lower so i got out
HTH helps you dow dog ;-)
Richard

Im not gonna try and keep up with you mr.C. Im for a while.
well done

Attachments

• feb05.gif
    feb05.gif
    106.9 KB · Views: 349
Status
Not open for further replies.