Trading the SPX

XOM results out today could be push up through top on S&P today or not as the case maybe!

RDSa and RDSb down on results today, so will XOM go up?

Re the Beige book, it is very easy to change peoples interpretation of the infomation simply by adjectives used to describe something. You can change a persons answer to a question e.g., from yes to no by changing the wording of the question even though it actually means the same thing!

The Dow Industrial reported a 32% increase in second-quarter net income on revenue growth of 25%. Excluding a charge, Exxon Mobil had earnings of $7.84 billion, or $1.23 a share, a penny below the average analyst estimate of $1.24 a share.

Up in pre-market 0.81%

Racer said:
The Dow Industrial reported a 32% increase in second-quarter net income on revenue growth of 25%. Excluding a charge, Exxon Mobil had earnings of $7.84 billion, or $1.23 a share, a penny below the average analyst estimate of $1.24 a share.

Up in pre-market 0.81%

' A record second quarter from ExxonMobil (XOM 59.92 +0.32), which beat analysts' forecasts by a penny'

Hmm, suppose it depends on which set of analysts you asked in the first place!

Okay okay, whose holding my index back then?
Internals mixed at the moment NYSE mildly bullish, Nasdaq slightly bearish.

Racer said:
' A record second quarter from ExxonMobil (XOM 59.92 +0.32), which beat analysts' forecasts by a penny'

Hmm, suppose it depends on which set of analysts you asked in the first place!
Earnings in my view this quarter have been a bit of a farce, I believe the energy sector is the only sector analysts have made a genuine effort to estimate. The rest, they have over estimeted the slowdown and have set their expectations low enough as to make it hard to miss. If you strip out earnings from energy related stocks and homebulders as many commentators have admitted, earnings have been at best mediocre. That's my thought anyway.

Another thing I have been noticing a lot of lately is companies announcing job cuts, not a good sign

Market internals looking fairly strong on the surface on the NYSE though TRIN remains high at 1.12
Nasdaq internals have improved to mildly bullish but yet again TRIN at 1.00.
Total market volume more or less at pace with yesterday, Nasdaq fractionally behind NYSE fractionally ahead

Real bull / bear toe to toe slug out going on here, teeth on the floor job :LOL:
SOX still weak, I don't see the COMPQ moving much higher unless the SOX steps up to the plate. COMPQ at that 2191 resistance I mentioned a few days ago

NYSE internals continuing to improve here, suggesting a resolution higher
TRIN still above 1.0 though

Looks like they want ot give it another go TRIN down to 0.87 Just don't get the feeling anybody really wants to buy up here, no matter about all the bullish sentiment.

Joules MM1 said:
RT do you have a "chart" of the TRIN where you can run a simple RSI or 13 SMA ?
Ooh I don't do anything that fancy but give me the criteria and I will see if I can run a chart accordingly.
I run a 3 min line chart, no indicators.

Last edited:
They are ratcheting it up tonight, wonder when the elastic will break?

Or have they got the super version that just catapults it to the sky?

Joules MM1 said:
The TRIN would be of immense value with all the daily extremes smoothed out.
Will have a look after the close, as I say I only use it intra-day myself, as a 3 min line chart. I want to know the current value, and where that value is relative to the rest of the day, ie is it trending higher or lower.