Trading the SPX

What do you actually do Socrates? Are you trading or do you take argumentative lines and make conversation just to pass the time and wind people up!? It is all good, I know when the forum is quiet you will be still be good for a little banter.

Let's see. What do you think ? Do you think all the things I say are some sort of science fiction or the result of knowledge and a lot of experience ? Do you think I am not capable of trading and posting at the same time ? Do you think I could only handle one or the other ? And do you think I say things only to wind people up ? Or do you think people wind themselves up when they read the truth, sometimes unpleasant and or which they take incorrectly to be a personal affront, but the bare truth nonetheless ? What do you really think, go on tell me please.

It is certainly hard for me to take some of what Socrates says seriously. "The bare truth" as he calls it is his truth and is not necessarily fact but has sometimes been fiction. The best example I can think of was when he said I had been on an Updata course. I know for a fact that was a lie, the opposite of the truth. When someone lies about me, I am unlikely to take what they say as being the truth. It also makes me wonder about other things that they have said that didn't seem quite right when I read them. Having said that, I don't take anything written on these boards too seriously and I would rather do my own research than rely on the beliefs of a person I have never met.

I used to wonder why people use IMHO but now I know why. All any of us have is an opinion and when we try to pass that on as a truth, it sometimes looks like arrogance, IMHO :)

Bigbusiness said:
It is certainly hard for me to take some of what Socrates says seriously. "The bare truth" as he calls it is his truth and is not necessarily fact but has sometimes been fiction. The best example I can think of was when he said I had been on an Updata course. I know for a fact that was a lie, the opposite of the truth. When someone lies about me, I am unlikely to take what they say as being the truth. It also makes me wonder about other things that they have said that didn't seem quite right when I read them. Having said that, I don't take anything written on these boards too seriously and I would rather do my own research than rely on the beliefs of a person I have never met.

I used to wonder why people use IMHO but now I know why. All any of us have is an opinion and when we try to pass that on as a truth, it sometimes looks like arrogance, IMHO :)
Well, you had better watch it, because for some reason that escapes me, someone considers you sufficiently important to go around impersonating you, bigbusiness indeed.
Very gobby you are this morning, and I don't care one jot what you believe or don't. as whatever I decide to post here is not aimed at educating you specifically.

SOCRATES said:
Well, you had better watch it, because for some reason that escapes me, someone considers you sufficiently important to go around impersonating you, bigbusiness indeed.
Very gobby you are this morning, and I don't care one jot what you believe or don't. as whatever I decide to post here is not aimed at educating you specifically.

The reason escapes me as well. I hope they realise that "bigbusiness" is the name of a Laurel & Hardy film. Ask him next time you see him if he comes from the moon. He might be one of my neighbours :)

It seems so far that yesterdays beginning of a downtrend was genuine. Short for a swing trade stop 1210.

What do you view as a normal put/call ratio Joules?

Not a loaded question, this is not an area I have given much thought to, so I have no opinion, a project for the weekend me thinks

Nice little EOD pop, been threatening for a while, not sure if there is time or will to get above that consolidation at 1198. Work finished for another week, have a great weekend Joules

Joules nice trading mate, done well!!

As for today's action, didn't help with a call for direction!! I think objectively it's best to stay out of the markets if you're flat at this point, until it resolves one way or the other. I'm still favouring the bearish side until we break up above the recent highs.

Have a good weekend all

That's interesting, I find that volume figure on the NYSE to be about 130 million out, I will have to investigate that.

Joules MM1 said:
3:06pm 06/14/05 HEDGE FUNDS RISE AVERAGE OF 1.12% IN MAY -HEDGEFUND.NET

Wow! Annualise that.....
:LOL: That's actually quitegood Joules since May was the month that they had to book any disaters with GM

Joules MM1 said:
Yeah, I remember agents claiming that % on blue chip FPOs not HEDGED/leveraged funds ! That's insane........

Problemis though Hedge funds only really have benefit over other types by virtue of ....maybe leverage.... not sure if others have that, but most importantly the ability to short. The ting being they still need the market to pick a direction and get its ass in gear, all this chopping back and forwards neutralises any benefit they may have over any other type of fund