Trading the SPX

Interesting post, I will read it more closely when I have time after the close.

what on earth makes a hedge fund manager think that just because they saw a bull market in the rear-vision that they are seeing one ahead of them?

The one thing I do pick out of it just quickly is this comment. Now this embodies my lack of understanding of hedge funds. Since one of the unique attractions of hedge funds is their ability to short the market, I do not understand why a hedge fund manager would view the market any other way than he sees it. An investment fund, yes, he has to see value in the market that is his job, and consequently why most of the analysts who are quoted (being also investment fund managers) are always trying to put some sort of bullish case. The few hedge fund managers I have listened to on bloomberg have been bearish on the market.

seems to have run out of momentum today, maybe more after lunch? We'll see in about an hour

JOULES,

hedge funds managers have mostly not been through a true bear market phase so don't have the knowledge or experience to restrain themselves.

Some have, some haven't. There are an estimated 8000 Hedge Funds currently. Within that number there are the usual geniuses, and dross.

This is proven by the 25billion inflows into (long) leveraged position to take advantage of the so-called new bull phase.

New money generally joins in the psychological good times, not during the pits of despair.

There is not sufficient evidence that I am aware of from Mar 07 to the April lows to confirm the unravelling of some large hedged postions but I am in no doubt that the volumes included that action.

The majority of the Hedge Funds are not hurting badly enough to cause a meltdown in the markets. As I said, the US Equity market is currently undervalued, even more so currently with the inversion of the Yield curve. This has prevented too much pain for the Hedge Funds. Also GM was only one position. Of more concern would be the "Carry" trades in the Treasuries.

The "Carry" trades will be hurting, but as we are still in a "Statistical" market, they can probably get away with it.............if they haven't already unwound the hedges.

After a severe 50-70% declines in the US markets from the Jan 2000 high do you not think that the sentiment is bullish and not a wall of worry? Did I miss something in my learning process after having lived through a severe bear market of 1970-74 where the losses weren't near as a bad?

The 1972 - 1974 Bear market was far worse than the 2000 Bear market, for the simple reason that it was again allied to a severe recession, or more accurately "Stagflation"
We could debate the depth of the 2000 2002 recession, but it was mild by comparison.

So, tell me about the Calpers which is effectively broke or The PBGC which is now taking over new retirement accounts which are in the red and this fund is ALREADY effectively broke because itself has NO money!

These retirement accounts are in common stocks....the economy is not geting better.....the world economy has a mass low interest rates...it is shrinking in a deflationary manner....the US Central Bank lowered the funds rate in a panic slash for a couple of years...why? ....because the American consumer has to spend more credit ....this blooming debt is funded by overseas investors in common stock and they are getting impatient to see a return on their investment and theyre are not getting it...low interest..

And herein lies the connundrum. What you say is partly true. I would question the % you seem to imply resides in Common Stocks. Yet no less true is that money must be invested to provide an income and show a return. You have a number of asset classes in which money may be invested. Fixed Income, where obviously large amounts are going, as the yield indicates, Real Property, most would agree that showing signs of a bubble, due to money flowing there from last few years, Commodities, again Commodities have been booming, due in large part to increased demand, but also a "Speculative" element.
Currently, the returns available on Equities look attractive by comparison, therefore, depite the "Bad news", the wall of worry, money will flow to Equities, and the Bull will live, albeit slowly.

Think on this; retirees are losing value in their acounts, major companies have to pump more into the retirement accounts to meet regulations so the value of the company dilutes....oversees investors are losing value and not getting any income, the mass decides it wants less stocks so the markets go down....more news of the GMs and Fords write downs plus higher funding costs to the companies...is the picture getting clear?

The GM & Ford have always been cyclical businesses. I agree their major concern, and significant drag on profitability has been Pension requirements.
Diverting cash from operations does not "dilute" the business, it simply reduces profitability.
The problem arises if, due to reduced profitability, debt cannot be serviced, as this due to the indentures will trigger insolvency. This is the reason behind the S&P downgrades.

GM, specifically has a very heavy Capitalisation bias to debt.
Debt constitutes 94% of the Capitalisation, and Common Stocks only 6%
As long as GM does not default, then the Bondholders will receive their income. The PROBLEM will arise at the Maturities, and redemption of Principal.
With the "Junk" rating the Cost of Capital has risen significantly, thus impacting the profitability in the future of GM's finance arm, which is critical to the business plan.

The US government is on a record belting debt spree with tax cuts it can't afford and spending it needs to cull...Take a look at Japan...same deal...real estate bubble...you got a mortgage that needs to be paid in a hurry but the real estate market is too slow and stocks easy to off-load at a cheaper price....which one are you going to relinquish first?

Depends on a large # of factors. The most important one being the NEED to sell.
If you HAVE to sell, then liquidity rules. However, the key is for the Government through Monetary and Fiscal policy, to try and prevent that NEED from arising.

Ok, see number 5 above: When leverage managers have to liquidate quickly in a losing positon they have to give up more than the original stake to cover the loss so the position left (which is now smaller in unit size) needs to outperform, considerably stronger than, the original stake and this I think is the most vital part of the picture not understood and the most crucial area that needs to be known. If during this time the postion keeps going against the managers then the rest is obvious yet, unfortunately, I think not obvious enough. This is the pin in the granade.

But this is not really the problem at all.
The real problem arises when due to leverage, they are FORCED to sell, as the margin calls cannot be met, and due to either their size, or competition also trying to exit........the liquidity dries up.

Now, margin calls force the funds to sell, but there are no buyers, and they implode, dragging counterparties with them. For this to happen, there would need to be a number of economic and market events to trigger the selling required to remove the liquidity. The last time in 1998 was triggered by Asia in '97 then Russia in '98 with Mexico and Venezuala thrown in for good measure, and a very high Equity market. So far, this is not the case.

By the way, the US has been showing consistant positive sentiment as observed by the Uni of Mich and many other sentiment surveys and on top of this the volitility is at historic lows and to me this is not indicative of a "wall of worry" regardless of what one may glean from the media the numbers simply do not support a bull market continuation. A smooth market encassed in such rampant and unguarded speculative clearly indicates to me that intelligence of hedge fuinds managers is not the key to long term gains or even longevity, period. LTCM is a clear example that arrogance rules the waves and such arrogance is born of a the same-old same-old desires much as they did in 1929-1930. Remember in 1929 some 5 months after the initial shock that many leading heads of states and banks agreed that hey had simply witnessed and unusual glitch and today the hedge fund managers have the EXACT SAME DISPOSTION FOR STUPIDITY.

The "NUMBERS"...........
To which numbers are you referring? The ones you have quoted, sentiment surveys etc?
The wall of worry does not refer to sentiment, more to "economic" concerns, some of which you have already touched on.
Quantitative numbers however paint a different picture. The "BULL" will not be a parabolic bull, but a sideways, bull, correcting imbalances through time predominantly, and to a lesser extent through price.

In 1929 the percentage of debt to GDP was 204............ today it is in excess of 300.

This I presume applies to Government debt?
While important, no denying the importance, Government deficits are or can be responsible for averting sequelae such as the depression of 1930 -1934. However, we are moving into very contentious economic theory.

No driver that I know would do this especially on a road they are not familiar with, so, what on earth makes a hedge fund manager think that just because they saw a bull market in the rear-vision that they are seeing one ahead of them?

Because they love to speculate.
Cheers d998

JOULES,

This is proven by the 25billion inflows into (long) leveraged position to take advantage of the so-called new bull phase.

You are confused ? This is not NEW money this is new CREDIT which dissappears upon immediate liquidation and does not add anything to the overall economy but actually is a cost to the economy.

Confused, how so?
The new CREDIT will still have to be supported by MARGIN or the haircut. The Banks and Investment Banks will not advance CREDIT on ZERO MARGIN, ( and if they do, more fool them.)

Therefore, new CASH will have to come from either, Investors, or BORROWING. Now if your argument is that the COUNTERPARTY to the BORROWING is the same counterparty demanding margin for a leveraged position, then the exposure that the counterparty assumes is very high.............

As to adding nothing to the Economy..................
If the Hedge Fund is profitable,
If the Hedge Fund has not put in place measures to defer taxation, then it provides tax revenue. How is that bad for the economy?

If, the Hedge Fund is not profitable.....................
Then, investors lose money,
Investors take tax write offs, this is not good for the economy.

Such credit inflows peak at the top hence the term peak. We are at the peak of a counter-trend bounce not at the bottom of a new bull phase.

You are making the assumption that $25B represents the "Peak".
What figures support your assertion that this represents a peak?

As to your assertion that this is the "Peak" of a counter-trend bounce, it would seem that you are correlating assertion #1 with assertion #2.

I would however assert that we are not at the "Bottom" of a new bull market, we are however in a bull market, that is using time preferentially over price to correct.

Please stop taking my comments out of context and try reading them first. GM is an example of a whole set of industries and I could have used any airline as an example.

Then you should have used an airline, or the airline industry as an example.
You are quite simply way off base using GM as an example. If you require context, then get it right with your example.

In a round about way, you are actually agreeing with what I am saying but as for economic theory forget it. No economic theorism of any kind makes one tad of difference to a hurting family that needs to pay a mortgage when the retriment account is shrinking and prospects of losing your job is looming. Fear is not the same as bad news. News doesnt drive the trend emotion does. News is simply part of the cycle. Bad news markets go up, good news they go down.

Which is why I said, theory, is contentious.
"Fear is not the same as bad news" No it isn't, but it can be correlated, and causative.
"News doesn't drive the trend, emotion does" Agreed.
Markets in the short term ( daily ) are fairly random ( opening can of worms )

Actually, again, no. Keep this clear and simple; debt is debt and is rife amongst the community more now than in 1929. The government has record deficits, yes but the average person that took up Mr Greenspans offer (low interest) has a bigger mortgage debt and even more credit cards so the liquidation effect is much deeper. This of course I am not even commenting on the fast turnover of hot real estate which is all on credit.

But quite plainly all debt is not the same. Very far from it.
Debt incurred and invested to earn a return, is very DIFFERENT from debt incurred to CONSUME.

Now, you are referring to the average person.
In the US, mortgage rates can be fixed at 30yrs. If I lock in a very low rate, that is sensible.
What you must clarify is, are you talking about purchases of property?
Or refinancing existing property to buy the new SUV from GM?

Finallly, you may not have come across the one article that rang huge alarm bells in my ears (and still does) is when Mr Greenspan resolutely said ".....there is no need to be concerned about deflation..."

As I suppose the media talked incessantly about deflation for about 1year.

Forget stagflation! That'd be good compared to what deflation brings unless you got lottsa cash baby.

Deflation, Stagflation, both bad.
Currently, unlike Japan the US has not experienced ( currently ) deflation.
In 1972 - 1974 Stagflation was a fact.

Therefore, the "72 - '74 Bear was far more severe than the 2000 Bear, as there was stagflation in the 70's, a shallow recession on 2000's.

cheers d998

We certainly had an interesting afternoon session, creating a shooting star and a key reversal. Tomorrow may kick off a downtrend. I have gone bearish on Nasdaq which normally seems to lead the markets.

would have to break yesterdays high to favour the Bulls IMHO.. intraday though, we may get a small initial pullback, then a continuation if the futures hold up...

still think its going down into thursday/friday. :)

FC

Joules MM1 said:
US events 9th June 2005

Events:

US - BOE Announcement (May, 2005) 7:00 AM May, 2005
US - Jobless Claims (wk6/4, 2005) 8:30 AM wk6/4, 2005 New Claims Level 335.00K
US - Money Supply (wk5/30, 2005) 4:30 PM wk5/30, 2005

Don't forget Greenie speaking today on the US economy before the JEC, that could be market moving.

It's the same principle as for any other "potentially market moving" news or commentry, apart from off the scale surprises, and let's face it there are few of those that haven't been leaked. The content is of little or no importance, the market will move in whatever direction the market wants to move in, such events simply provide a time to do it, they focus a lot of peoples attention to a few minutes of the day where they all feel they should be buying or selling. My interest in them is knowing when to get flat., and occaisionally taking a position relative to the aftermath.

roguetrader said:
It's the same principle as for any other "potentially market moving" news or commentry, apart from off the scale surprises, and let's face it there are few of those that haven't been leaked. The content is of little or no importance, the market will move in whatever direction the market wants to move in, such events simply provide a time to do it, they focus a lot of peoples attention to a few minutes of the day where they all feel they should be buying or selling. My interest in them is knowing when to get flat., and occaisionally taking a position relative to the aftermath.
I would tend to agree in principle with everything you say above except that my interest is not to take a position relative to the aftermath, but the opposite, to take a position, the correct one, in advance of the event.

Who wouldn't be confused, the phrases you isolated and joined together where from different sentences. To put those two phrases in context and in the same sentence.

'With a view to "potentially market moving news" the content is of little or no importance, simply the timing as a focus for the market to move in the direstion that it wants to move.'

Ok, as you have already pointed out, on many occaisions, a potentially market moving piece of news is released, and it's good news......and the market tanks, clearly prior speculation about what the news would say , is of little benefit, ergo the "content" of the news is of little or no importance, simply the markets reaction.

Example; many traders will be wondering what INTC is likely to say in its mid-quarter update, my opinion, it really doesn't matter, (as long as it is not outlandishly surprising and as I said most of that is leaked prior). If the market chooses to use the INTC update to break the range of the last couple of weeks then it will do so, and in the direction that it wants to. So if INTC gives a positive report and the market tanks, they will say "Oh it was a buy the rumour sell the news setup" If the news itself was important in determining market direction you wouldn't need an analyst to sift through it and pick out an obscure remark and say "they may be interpreting this that way" it would be obvious.

I think what it is that roguetrader outlines above is perfectly clear and requires little or no further clarification because it is a statement of actuality and not an opinion.

Joules MM1 said:
Is that an opinion or did you just invite me to believe how you feel the markets are governed?
Neither Rogue or I have an opinion or opinions or even feelings. I am pointing out that what Rogue has stated is rooted in actuality, not otherwise.

I dont have feelings about anything related to trading. Feelings are a luxury no trader can afford.

You may feel the markets are governed in a certain way or not.

To use feelings to deal with all of this is using the wrong toolkit, in my view.

It is that simple.

Joules MM1 said:
I get where you're at. You are telling me there is a given way, like its so, this thing, about news, yeah and how it effects markets or that it does effect markets?

Remember, you are also carrying a lot of weight with new traders who read what you say and take it, verbatim, of how a market, any market ergo any tradeable instrument moves in nearterm and long term action. Be clear that young trader may take what you say as you state it (whatever you are actually saying) and taking on that "fact" as truth and thus they are going to make their trading entrances and exits on that.

You have given a trader a linear context and mechanical tool by saying "is rooted in actuality". The markets as far as I have ever witnessed do not have such things.

There maybe a euphemistic blood-on-the-floor before we end this conversation and I think this is one worth persuing as it is one of the core areas of agreement that for me is a (obviously) a bone of long held contention. I think I have given some clear evidence, for my case, that news does not make a market or trend. I am also aware how emphatically I state this and that evidence is what it is whilst intepretive, makes it own truth. The Earth is not flat, now proven.
Let me ask you two questions:~

1. Do you believe that a news agency, like Reuters, for example, runs the markets ?

2. Do you believe that rooted in actuality is not related to what is currently unfolding ?

Damn, that is long winded.

The market always reverts to trend of its own essence and not of a news inducement.
This implies that when markets go up on bad news they are not actually being driven by the bad news, or inspite of the news, they are trending regardless of any news.
A trader who holds a small position or that is appropriate in size does not care for news of any kind as the trend chosen (correctly chosen) will swing that postion back to the trader.
Trend traders know that a good trend with the worst unexpected news spikes brings some of the best opportunities when on the right side of the trend.
I think I have given some clear evidence, for my case, that news does not make a market or trend.

Above is a selection of quotes which to me say that you see no importance in the content of news reports as a means to alter a markets chosen direction or trend in any significant way.

Below is a quote which says exactly the same thing.

'With a view to "potentially market moving news" the content is of little or no importance, simply the timing as a focus for the market to move in the direstion that it wants to move.'

There is a difference (for me) between "no difference" and "of little importance" one is imperical and definitive whereas the other calls for possibility of action based on extent or strength of some factor or in other words a guess of effect.

Ok the wording is carefully chosen to deter the obvious extreme examples being thrown in.

for example if the market was in a nice steady uptrend on the morning of Sept 11th, it would defy me to tell everybody that the market would have had a momentary blip and then shrugged off the news to continue on its merry way. You would be somewhat niave to make an "Imperical " and "definitive" statement that no news will effect the market not no how not no way

Strange day today, I would say that the trend is now down, however the action after the initial fall leaves me very suspicious, I think tomorrow will be very important

Joules MM1 said:
Socrates you are being an escape artist.
I am going to be benign and let you off the hook with this one as I can see you comment from a viewpoint exclusive to being uninformed.

Answer number one:~ An agency like Reuters cannot run the market and if it could, would not be entrusted to do so anyway. What really happens is that news releases are very convenient because they can, and frequently are, used to justify market action, where the true underlying reasons are totally different.

Answer number two:~ To be rooted in actuality has to be related to what is currently unfolding for the simple reason that what is unfolding is actually happening, and not a figment of the imagination or even history it ~ is happening now, and therefore not rooted in history or futurology but rooted in actuality.