Trading the E-mini

expecting more useless stickiness around 54

well my short trigger for today was 57 which i've already missed
so hoping for a wee rally around the Open to 60/58 level then will short from 57,
target 51 (and t2 at 32 IF we ever get any bloody movement !)

but if it rallies above 61, i'll go long, target 70

Re market depth it has to do with the volatility and ATR , low vix= high depth, high vix=low depth , compare CL depth with ZT's , ES now Vs ES 2008 . VIX closed @ 11.30 which says it all .

15th March 2013

9:55 – UoM Consumer Sentiment, Inflation

Weekly profile Value 1542 -> 1550
Gapped up on Thursday high of the week was 1551 to that point and Thursday low was 1551.75, so lots of people will be watching that – see if we go back into value for the week (Based on Pit session).

Yesterdays range 1549 –> 1557.25
Yesterdays value 1553.25 ->1555.75
Globex range 1554 -> 1558.75
Yest Close 1556

Not expecting a lot, will hang around to the Consumer Sentiment @ 9:55 and if it’s dead at that point will call it a week.

Last edited:
Re market depth it has to do with the volatility and ATR , low vix= high depth, high vix=low depth , compare CL depth with ZT's , ES now Vs ES 2008 . VIX closed @ 11.30 which says it all .

Chicken & Egg though really isn't it?

It's the liquidity that causes the volatility to be reduced, the vix will of course reflect that.

If you follow market auction theory what we have here is price acceptance, hence trading is very 2 sided. You have lots of buyers and sellers willing to trade at these prices.

That's the nuts and bolts of it. We just have lots of trading here and it is very balanced.

Bias is long, interested how it reacts to yesterday's high at 56/57.

Looking for a nice long at 48 if it gets there off a little sell-off.

Otherwise I think it will be quiet again today.

13:30:20 CME S 155350 ES Jun13
13:59:47 CME B 155075 ES Jun13

Distracted by the man who came to replace the front tyres on the mrs' car. Was trying to run that to the NVPOC @ 49.25 (which got tagged shortly after I went to inspect his handiwork)

Attachments

• 20130315-ES-1.png
    20130315-ES-1.png
    128.9 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
I've set the DOM and T&S on Sierra up how I like it (a la x_trader) and I have to say, it's not too shabby. Does anybody else use Sierra? I just took the long at 51 (from the bounce at 49) up to 54.75 to see how it gets on - and I'm now wondering whether I should switch. I have to say it doesn't have the 'presence' of x_trader but for the reduction in cost/commissions it seems ok.

Any opinions?

Attachments

• Sierra.png
    Sierra.png
    569.9 KB · Views: 174
I've set the DOM and T&S on Sierra up how I like it (a la x_trader) and I have to say, it's not too shabby. Does anybody else use Sierra? I just took the long at 51 (from the bounce at 49) up to 54.75 to see how it gets on - and I'm now wondering whether I should switch. I have to say it doesn't have the 'presence' of x_trader but for the reduction in cost/commissions it seems ok.

Any opinions?

Since we are on the subject... Thought I would post the TOS... Not that it is the best system, but it is FREE. I originally got into trading options, and just recently started trading futures, but the TOS has an awesome risk profile for options, which is why I have it... I think the more I get into futures the more likely I will be to switch platforms, and I am thinking about going to X-trader, but will more than likely have to switch my money over. I thought about Ninja Trader, but haven't got that far as to what I am going to do yet. I really don't want to use two platforms.

But I don't think this is too bad of a setup for being free, and I get executed instantly.

Attachments

• tos.jpg
    tos.jpg
    574.8 KB · Views: 165
Right, end of what's been an above average week for me. Am going away and won't be trading until Wednesday where I will be trying Sierra on live.....

@Wino - I've been using x_trader for nearly 3 years now. It's a great platform but I thought I'd give Sierra a go as the charting on it blows x_study out of the water and as my trading is more biased to charting these days with DOM/T&S mainly for timing, I figured a change was worth a try. Maybe it won't work out and I'll go back to x_trader but I am open minded at the moment. I had a little go with ninja last year but it just didn't feel, 'right'.....

Have a good weekend and good trading to you for Mon/Tue.

May I be the first to welcome volatility back to the ES.

3:00am EST here. My expectation for today:

Bids/offer volume will be much lower on the ES today which means we will have increased volatility.

The VIX will take a few days to wake up to this fact.

Put on your money making hats.

Bids/offer volume will be much lower on the ES today which means we will have increased volatility.

The VIX will take a few days to wake up to this fact.

Why ? Friday's close was @ 11.30 , i think we will have a big jump today and tom ...

Why ? Friday's close was @ 11.30 , i think we will have a big jump today and tom ...

Why?

Because the depth has already gone. FESX, FGBL, and the ES Globex.

FESX on Friday was 2-3000 contracts per level, now we have inside 2 levels below 400 and most levels below 1000. ES fill follow with far reduced liquidity.

Markets have changed gear already and we all need to change our game accordingly.

VIX hasn't even woke up yet. It's already behind :p

VIX is based on options pricing, I wouldn't take any notice of it for at least a week when the Europe situation becomes more clear. This is a pricing nightmare.

18th March 2013

Expecting the return of volatility/end of the 7 point days. Not expecting a one way day because most of the Cyprus driven move is done.

Market moved down off Cyprus news to the 1530 level we broke out from in early March. Up above we had support from prior weeks at 1541.50. We also have the start if the gap up at 1549. I’ll initially be watching the globex range to see what the pit session does. Next downside targets 1524.50 and 1511.

Last weeks value 1542.25 -> 1552.50
Last weeks range 1541.75 -> 1557.25
Overnight range 1529.50 -> 1543.99
Friday Range 1549.00 -> 1556.50

Not worried too much about Fridays VAL/range but will be looking for responsive buying off the open

Last edited: