The FTSE

you have to unsubscribe to this thread, you can still access it but it appears that it is the subscription bit that triggers the emails

mark twain uk said:
you have to unsubscribe to this thread, you can still access it but it appears that it is the subscription bit that triggers the emails

Cheers Mark

tricky to call, the ftse has stayed above 5500-ish whilst making lower highs, we have a strong support at 5490-5500 and all is set for a sharp move, if only I knew which way it will be

mark twain uk said:
tricky to call, the ftse has stayed above 5500-ish whilst making lower highs, we have a strong support at 5490-5500 and all is set for a sharp move, if only I knew which way it will be

well a bullish change to the fed policy wording - is it a sell the pop or buy the dip!

The FTSE Wednesday, 14th December 2005

Tuesday's results:

Open: 5501.
Close: 5507, up for a very disappointing 5pts.

Range: 5499 - 5527. It tried hard today. At the moment, if the FTSE is given the right circumstances we'll see a 35-55pt rise.

Last 5 trading days: down 11pts.

On the Month: up 83pts. About right for the month, but its itching to do more.

Dow: 10,823, up a sprightly 55pts. Anticipated.

I have two separate Longs running, the first entered on the 7th at 10,869 [ yes, I know, a bad move ], the second, today at 10,772. I've adjusted the stop gaps of both and letting them run over. I believe the DOW has plenty on steam left in reserve to run a little further.

Last 5 trading days: down 33pts.

On the month: up 17pts. Well behind.

News items of note:

FT.com WASHINGTON (Reuters) - 'The Federal Reserve on Tuesday lifted a key U.S. interest rate for a 13th straight time but signalled, as one economist put it, the "beginning of the end" of a 1-1/2 year credit-tightening campaign.

The U.S. central bank's rate-setting Federal Open Market Committee voted unanimously to increase the benchmark federal funds rate by a quarter-percentage point to 4.25 percent, the highest level since April 2001.' - Expected.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Tuesdays stated a strong a possibility of a rise. Wednesday's, two out of three charts indicate a rise, the third, no clear indication.

Note: Oil price: up $61. Not sure why. Keep a close eye on its movement.

Companies reporting:

Hays
RHM

Economic Data:

UK: Unemployment, and Average earnings.

US: Trade balance

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the DOW ended on a strong note which will effect the FTSE for the whole of tomorrow; charts state a rise; I don't believe the Economic data will rattle the markets; Mining companies dipped today which helped smother any chance of a FTSE rise, but tomorrow I can see it being reversed.

Early gut feeling: an 80% chance of a rise.

Will I bet? Already have. Three bets, entry points: 5516, 5506 and 5505. I've let them roll over [ as stated in my last FTSE post ].

Well, my neck is well and truly stretched. I have Longs running on both the DOW and FTSE, if the markets tumble tomorrow I'll eat my FTSE hat! Wear a pink cocktail dress and you can call me Mildred!

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

I think the FTSE's forgot to set its alarm clock this morning, it stands at 5507 as I write.

UK

slighty worrying really - there are a few stocks dragging on the FTSE today but the DOW futures are also down rather alot....

Closed my long for break even which is rather annoying as in hindsight I should have closed it into the late afterhours pop..does not seem to want to get going on the long side this week

downbytheriver7 said:
Closed my long for break even which is rather annoying as in hindsight I should have closed it into the late afterhours pop..does not seem to want to get going on the long side this week

It happens. And you are right, the FTSE seems to be dragging its heels.

UK

The FTSE Thursday, 15th December 2005

Wednesday's results:

Open: 5507.
Close: 5521, up 13pts. I expected a lot more and, to be honest, I'm disappointed. I have a feeling that the FTSE will spread itself thinly over the next two days. May be worth holding onto your longs until the end of play on Friday.

Range: 5503 - 5525. It tried hard again today, but seemed to be treading on yesterdays range.

Last 5 trading days: down 7pts.

On the Month: up 98pts. About right for the month.

Dow: 10,883, up a sprightly 59pts. Hoped for and received.

Last 5 trading days: up 80pts. Border line.

On the month: up 77pts. A touch behind.

News items of note:

NEW YORK (Reuters) - 'The dollar tumbled on Wednesday after a report showed the U.S. trade deficit hit a record high in October, worsening overnight losses on concerns the Federal Reserve is nearly done raising interest rates. The U.S. currency's decline was its steepest against the yen in a single day since March 2002. It began after the Federal Reserve on Tuesday dropped the word "accommodation" from its policy statement, interpreted by some as a signal that its 18-month credit-tightening campaign was nearing an end.

The dollar sank to its lowest level in a month against the yen, around 116.72 yen (JPY=) according to Reuters data.' - Its interesting to see the DOW rise with such vigour. Is it because American companies can import cheaper the lower the Dollar descends?

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Wednesday's, two out of three charts indicated a rise, the third, had no clear indication. Thursday, no strong indication but they all favour a rise followed by a potential minor drop but not below its opening price.

Companies reporting:

AVIS EUROPE
MYTRAVEL
TRINITY MIRROR
WHITBREAD

Economic Data:

UK: Retail Sales [may be damaging].

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the DOW ended on another strong note to add a major kick start to the FTSE; charts predict a small rise followed by a smaller fall; the miners didn't move back much today so they may prop up the FTSE tomorrow; There's still a few potential takeovers milling about in the air. In all, it may be another limp day.

Early gut feeling: a 60% chance of a rise small rise.

Will I bet? Wednesday was one of my most profitable days since June. Tomorrow, I may consider a small Long and cap it at a 12pt gain.

...oh! And I guess my comments yesterday in regards to my hat, a pink cocktail dress and changing my name to Mildred are null and void seeing as it all went so well. Pheeew!!!

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

Yours

UK

ukhero said:
The FTSE Thursday, 15th December 2005

Will I bet? Wednesday was one of my most profitable days since June. Tomorrow, I may consider a small Long and cap it at a 12pt gain.

UK

One of most profitable since June??? The Ftse Future only had a trading range of 28 points, did you manage to scalp from top to bottom?? :rolleyes:

downbytheriver7 said:
not another trip to 5500!!!!

the 20-day average is giving solid support and the RSI is still indicative of upside momentum so I'd stay with it for now. But if an upside move doesn't materialise over next few days then all indicators will be rolling (just like the stochastics already are). I'm hopeful that we'll get a Friday pick-up tomorrow.

an interesting day my guess is that once we break support and hit 5480s we will have the bears coming out saying the top is in we go to 5300

how about the santa's rally in the us? has that been discounted now? can we have the dow seriously up and the ftse seriously down at the same time? questions, questions...

Its finding a base, but no rally discernable.

Could be a tough afternoon if the US figures disappoint.

how about the santa's rally in the us? has that been discounted now? can we have the dow seriously up and the ftse seriously down at the same time?

There is no change to my position
The markets have not done anything out of the ordinary at the moment that would cause me to re evaluate my position