Votes: 25 40.3%
  • The plane will remain stationary

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • The plane will run out of conveyor belt before it can take off

Votes: 5 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
See, I completely disagree there.

Why would he give examples related to 'running on a treadmill holding a flag', or 'having the plane towed', if he understood the nature of what we were getting at? Someone who understood the point of the exercise but was questioning the paradoxical nature of the OP would not ask these questions.

Running on a treadmill is exerting force through the ground - in my opinion, this is what he couldn't distinguish.

I am 99.9% sure that he has done what most smart yet incorrect people would do upon realising their error, and that's to deflect the argument entirely onto something ezreddy mentioned (and we resolved) about 30 pages ago. The other 0.1% lies with the theory that he is the greatest and most gifted troll of modern times.

Last edited:
You realise that we have now managed to create an argument based purely on whether someone else understands the situation or not...

I think we should just bite the bullet and go on that date. What's the worst that could happen

Well I'm glad that's sorted! The plane takes off but the wheels go slightly faster than the belt (in order for the plane to traverse the length of the runway/belt), the original question being incorrectly phrased.
But why so much animosity?
I don't mind being proved wrong. God knows what we'd be like if we got everything right all our lives!

Heh yup as mentioned Raysor I along with most people got it wrong the first time I saw it. I was pretty rude at points along the way, due to losing my temper a few hours in, and having learned that will be more understanding in future, much like I'd hope people will be patient with me when I ask them trading questions that I'm clueless about (although hopefully I won't ask the same question 18 times ;)) Ha no but seriously, it was all meant to be a bit of fun and at times it escalated into handbags which, let's face it, is completely ridiculous in an online forum.

No doubt Brambles will have more to say on the matter but for me, this thing ran its course a long time ago and we've just been going round in circles since.

The other aspect people are viewing from different angles is that things are relative, but oh well, problem solved.

FTR I have since learned through a spot of reading that MrBrambles clearly knows an awful lot about trading, and is by no means 'an idiot' as I referred to him in one of my weaker moments; this is just one of those questions that always divides people straight down the middle. It probably should have gone in 'The Foyer' anyway, and definitely should have been worded better. If I do go ahead and do another this weekend, which it seems people would like, it will be in The Foyer, and words like 'idiot', 'twat' and all other personal remarks will be severely frowned upon.

SL

FTR I have since learned through a spot of reading that MrBrambles clearly knows an awful lot about trading, and is by no means 'an idiot' as I referred to him in one of my weaker moments; this is just one of those questions that always divides people straight down the middle. It probably should have gone in 'The Foyer' anyway, and definitely should have been worded better. If I do go ahead and do another this weekend, which it seems people would like, it will be in The Foyer, and words like 'idiot', 'twat' and all other personal remarks will be severely frowned upon.

SL

How do you get away with twat and not ******? lol!

Ok can someone explain to me wy the plane wouldn't take off if it were on ice?

And as for the solution (wheels spinning faster), didn't I point that out a while back?

I think G-Man is saying that people who use it as a reason why this plane takes off are wrong because it's not the same situation. The plane would take off if it were on ice.

And as for the solution (wheels spinning faster), didn't I point that out a while back?

It would. Except it wouldn't because it wouldn't get clearance.

Thats the most stupid thing anyone has said on this thread...
I agree. But I'm looking at this response of yours.

raysor's box-finger system is absolutely correct. As is the clown on a unicycle (can I borrow your costume when you've finished?).

Sorry G, I think I meant with regard to your explanation of 1)... basically I'm saying that Brambles wasn't arguing the fact that the plane doesn't take off due to the paradoxical nature of the OP, rather because he didn't understand the nature of the wheels' movement having no effect on the lateral force.
Skills, it’s not a paradox.

You’ve simply required us to accept a construct which would be difficult (though probably not impossible) to physically implement in reality.

Forget the issue about your wording. You took it from a book written by professors didn’t you – so it must be right.

You tripped over your own teaser as did the boffins that apparently unloaded it on you. There’s no crime or shame in that. It’s just a bit of fun.

Gecko viewed it afresh and then understood where I was coming from and found he could agree my viewpoint, as stated, was valid and that the plane wont take off. Which was mighty big of you by the way Mr. G, but no apologies are necessary thanks all the same. It’s rare for folk to get passionate about anything much these days and a joy when they do. Even if (especially if LOL) they get heated in the process…

Can we all go home now?

Ok, but we acknowledged that fact many many pages ago... I just don't understand why you would give 'flag on a treadmill'-type examples and go through all that bull****, why not just say to me 'look at the wording of your question', like ezreddy did. We moved on from that on about page 20.

Are you saying that you agree the plane would take off if the belt was moving at a constant 100mph in the opposite direction to the way the plane is facing? If you are, then we can all go home...

Well I'm glad that's sorted! The plane takes off but the wheels go slightly faster than the belt !
LOL. Here's a teaser for you all...

What's 2 + 2 ?

It's 5.

I really meant 2 + 3...LOL

The wheels do not go slightly anything than the belt. They march it exactly. There's no paradox. There's no wrong wording. It's the entire crux of the teaser and the hook provided for the unwary.

What's the point of having a hook if you let the blighters wriggle off of it?

LOL. Here's a teaser for you all...

What's 2 + 2 ?

It's 5.

I really meant 2 + 3...LOL

I think you're being far too pedantic here, and besides mate, we adjusted the question to fix it a long time ago as I've already said and you continued to argue with us.

It would. Just as long as the ice was not, through some unspecified process or mechanism, moving backward at exactly the same rate as the plane attempted to move forward.

Gecko viewed it afresh and then understood where I was coming from and found he could agree my viewpoint, as stated, was valid and that the plane wont take off. Which was mighty big of you by the way Mr. G, but no apologies are necessary thanks all the same. It’s rare for folk to get passionate about anything much these days and a joy when they do. Even if (especially if LOL) they get heated in the process…
Can we all go home now?

Brambles I accepted that there were flaws in the OP a long, long time ago; we adjusted the question, and you continued to argue the toss. Why?