S&P 500 cash weekly competition for 2014 with PRIZES!

just for the England team :whistling

+ Italy :(
+ Spain :(

We're in good company. Two favourite destinations for yours trully ;)

Have updated the league table from bulls to bears. Samspade biggest bull. Gaffs baddest bear.

Malaguti is also a bull and interesting contrast to the averages which are bears this week. So there is a possibility of a draw at 18 points if Malaguti takes max 4 points, then he will get $100 Amazon vouchers...

If averages lead the table then $100 prize will roll over to Quarter-3 (end of Sept) when total prize will increase to $150.

Wishing you all best of luck and prosperous trading. (y)

I'm a bit late for this week Atilla but can I have 1945 pls?

I'm tempted to say oui mon ami but as Prizes are involved, must maintain some level of decorum on the rules. :innocent:

Out of curiosity - how many beers have you had this sunny afternoon ;)

Last edited:
Ratatatataaaaaatataatatatatatatatatatatataaaaa!!!!

SPX500 - Quarter-2 Winner is.... Weighted Average taking top gold spot!

Closely followed by Average who take silver and
Malaguti takes Bronze

...Weighted Average
Average.........................Malaguti

3d-people-in-a-podium_gg56136941.jpg

League table is here...

Well I reckon that's back slaps to all of us for making the Weighted Index a winner again. As mentioned before there is something very strong and powerful with this group of forecasters on this thread as the averages are consistent leaders on the league of tables.

(y) :clap: :clap: :clap: (y)

Attachments

• 2014-QTR-2_Final.jpg
    2014-QTR-2_Final.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 2014-QTR-2-Running Tot.jpg
    2014-QTR-2-Running Tot.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
0.05 points away from a medal on my first try :(

Well done Mr Average, and Malaguti for being nearly as good as average.

NEW YORK, June 26 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks ended slight lower on Thursday after a Federal Reserve official said interest rates should rise by early 2015, while the pound gained on talk that UK rates also will go up, even as the Bank of England took only mild steps to tighten lending.
The dollar erased gains to trade flat against a basket of major currencies as foreign exchange traders discounted the remarks by the president of the St. Louis Fed, James Bullard. Bullard, in televised comments, said that raising rates by the end of the first quarter in 2015 would be appropriate, based on his forecast that U.S. growth will register 3 percent for the next four quarters.
On Wall Street, six of the 10 S&P 500 sectors finished lower.
"The market is a little bit extended, and we're at the point where there's a little bit of rebalancing going on," said Fred Dickson, chief market strategist at D.A. Davidson & Co, in Lake Oswego, Oregon.
Bullard, a non-voting member of the Fed's policy-setting committee, said in an interview with Fox Business Network that the U.S. jobless rate will fall below 6 percent later this year. Inflation looked likely to rise back to 2 percent, putting the economy closer to normal than most realize, he said.
"I think Bullard caught most people off guard as the Fed meeting was just last week and there was no explicit reading anyone took from there of a Q1 rate hike," said Adam Sarhan, chief executive at New York's Sarhan Capital.
"It's very possible that he's on his own or he might have one other Fed official or a minority within the Fed who thinks we should raise rates sooner rather than later," Sarhan said.
The Dow Jones industrial average fell 21.38 points or 0.13 percent, to end at 16,846.13. The S&P 500 slipped 2.31 points, or 0.12 percent, to 1,957.22. The Nasdaq Composite dipped 0.71 point, or 0.02 percent, to 4,379.05.
Financial stocks were among the sharpest decliners after a securities fraud lawsuit filed by the New York state attorney general against British bank Barclays. The lawsuit accuses Barclays of giving an unfair edge in the United States to high-frequency trading clients even as it claimed to be protecting other customers from such traders.
U.S.-listed Barclays shares fell 7.4 percent to $14.55. The bank's London-listed shares ended down 6.5 percent.
U.S. government bond prices rose, with yields on benchmark 10-year Treasuries hitting a three-week low at 2.5322 percent.
Sterling rose 0.25 percent to $1.7025 as steps announced by the Bank of England to cool the UK housing market failed to dampen expectations the central bank was set to raise rates.
The U.S. dollar index, which measures the dollar against a basket of six major currencies, was last flat at 80.222. The dollar index erased earlier gains after U.S. data suggested growth was perking up but was not robust enough to give a decisive lift to the dollar.
The FTSEurofirst 300 index of top European stocks finished down 0.1 percent at 1,370.38 points, dragged lower by the Bullard comments and the lawsuit against Barclays.
In commodities, the spot price of gold fell 0.2 percent to $1,316.99 an ounce.
In oil, Brent crude finished down 0.7 percent at $113.21 a barrel while U.S. crude ended 0.8 percent lower at $105.70 after a bearish turn in the latest U.S. economic data and easing concerns of a supply disruption from the conflict in Iraq. (Additional reporting by Patrick Graham and Jemima Kelly in London; Editing by Meredith Mazzilli and Leslie Adler)

Well I reckon that's back slaps to all of us for making the Weighted Index a winner again. As mentioned before there is something very strong and powerful with this group of forecasters on this thread as the averages are consistent leaders on the league of tables.

you mean, my games in hand count for nowt?! ah man :mad:
oh well, onto the next quarter and I'll plump for the same as last week please

1986 please.

Space shuttle Challenger explodes after launch.
US GDP: $4,422.20 billion
Federal spending: $990.34 billion
Federal debt: $2120.6 billion
Consumer Price Index: 109.6
Unemployment: 7.0%

1942 - Japan declares war on the Netherlands :eek:

Will the SPX train roll off the charts or will it gently ease back?

Still have short positions and so a terminal velocity test flight would see me to early retirement :)

There is now $150 in Amazon Vouchers waiting for collection if any forecaster gets top position in the points league table for the end of Quarter-3 (end of Sept).

So get your protractors and rullers out and see if you can beat the averages.

Based on past forecasting my money is on LexCorp. But as we all know past performance is no guarantee of future gains. ;)

Wishing you all good luck. (y)

Last edited:
Ratatatataaaaaatataatatatatatatatatatatataaaaa!!!!

SPX500 - Quarter-2 Winner is.... Weighted Average taking top gold spot!

Closely followed by Average who take silver and
Malaguti takes Bronze

...Weighted Average
Average.........................Malaguti

3d-people-in-a-podium_gg56136941.jpg

League table is here...

(y) :clap: :clap: :clap: (y)

Can I join the comp?

Here are all my predictions for the rest of this yr.

Week 1 = 0
Week 2 = 0
and so on. This should ensure that the WA and A are knocked off the top spots and someone can actually win the prizes.

cheers cv

Can I join the comp?

Here are all my predictions for the rest of this yr.

Week 1 = 0
Week 2 = 0
and so on. This should ensure that the WA and A are knocked off the top spots and someone can actually win the prizes.

cheers cv

Cheers CV excellent idea.

However, the system does cater for such an event. Prizes will roll on to end of year when humanoids will get distribution for end of year total run in 1st - 2nd - 3rd places in 50:30:20 ratio respectively.

:)

FYI - Rules Repeat...

After several years good participation by regular members posting quality forecasts, T2W organisers have generously agreed to prizes, sponsoring our competition. Thank you T2W :)

This is a competition run and managed by the members - 'us', and sponsored by T2W with prizes.

Following prizes in Amazon Vouchers will be distributed to the winners of each quarter.

1. $50 for Quarterly winner in 1st place for March / June / September

2. $100 for the end of year over-all points winners the prize money will be distributed in 50:30:20 ratios
1st place - $50
2nd place - $30
3rd place - $20

3. If an average wins, then prize money will be rolled forward until a human contestant wins in subsequent quarter.

4. Prizes can only be rolled forward until the end of the year, when if an Average still takes the top podium spot, then built up pot monies will be distributed in the above ratios 50:30:20 to human contestants highest in the league table based on points.

5. Where there is a draw on points, then number of games played will be considered. If still equal then number of medals won in order of gold / silver / bronze will be used in picking out the winners.

Will discuss anything of issue in our usual fashion and Pat, competition founder and judge on point rules, can weigh pros & cons and guide us as appropriate.

We hope the prizes will encourage more spritely debate and that people will post charts and comments on their approach & systems.

I hope the S&P500 competition forecasting become sharper and more focused, raising the competitive spirit in us in reaching out to grab a part of the big cheese.

(y)

This would be a good time to join and start forecasting if you were thinking of doing so as you will have equal chance of winning the September prize.

However, the end of year prize will put the regulars in better chance of winning then those who may have started mid-year etc.

Objective is to reward consistency and regular participants instead of fly by chancers taking wild calls to win a prize.

Ok that's it!

Enjoy and have fun... (y)

Timeless

I wonder if they swap Xmas cards ?

1971 pls

:)

Last edited:

If I say SP100, and Pat says SP4000, then the average will be the winner that week, but both of us are idiots (well the 4000 call might be fairly accurate ;). So maybe it's not so much the average shows how good we are, but how bad we are :)

After all, are people still calling for the market to see red ?

Last edited: