Attachments

• Spot FX GBP_USD1 (16-AUG-08).png
    Spot FX GBP_USD1 (16-AUG-08).png
    19.2 KB · Views: 217
  • Spot FX GBP_USD (16-AUG-08).png
    Spot FX GBP_USD (16-AUG-08).png
    17.3 KB · Views: 205
paitence

t_d wrote a while ago that hes always looking to stay in a winning trade. this, along with me coming to realise that just because i put a stop somewhere, doesnt mean the market cares about it, have been among the most important things to enter my brain regarding trading. Disclaimer: the following is a paper trade, and i am still on play money. still, i am trying to paper as i would with real cash. the following trade was a long usd trade (is it just me or have igindex just removed some inverse selections??) versus the yen, entered on a pin, admittedly near a level which could have caused me trouble.

its very easy to look at a chart of a winning trade and go "wow, easy, enter at that pin (or whatever) and hey presto, look hes 400 pips up!" but this leaves emotion out of the equation, i have put in a few points where i was in (aproximate) different levels of profit and loss, to try show myself and others, that you need to be looking and seeing the price action, not your p/l which is the narrowest interpretation of what the market is trying to tell you. chart 1 is a chart of the daily setup with my levels in, chart 2 is a messy chart of the above.

Attachments

• yen 1.JPG
    yen 1.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 204
  • yen 2.JPG
    yen 2.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 203
Reversal signal entries

Hi all,

Thought this may be of use to some of you - I know it goes a little of track from the Pin bar setup but is still within context.
I for one will stay with TD's method for now, until i can get that working effectively for me, but it is always good to see new ideas that can be amalgamated/added to your arsenal.

This comes from a book/folder i am going through by Robert Miner -Dynamic Trading.
I don't have a scanner unfortunately(and in any case that would be copyright) so i just typed out this part which seemed relative. (I'm sure he won't mind the plug anyway;)

Hope it's helpful...just thought i'd try to give something back

PS excuse the drawings - had to use Paint)

Attachments

• Reversal Day Entry Signal.doc
    31.5 KB · Views: 308
nice one here if she breaks. anyone have any idea whats going on with igindex, can find the chart for usd/nz but cant find it in their trading interface? i am tired maybe im being stupid.

Attachments

• Spot FX NZD_USD (14-AUG-081).png
    Spot FX NZD_USD (14-AUG-081).png
    15 KB · Views: 146
nice one here if she breaks. anyone have any idea whats going on with igindex, can find the chart for usd/nz but cant find it in their trading interface? i am tired maybe im being stupid.

Portomar I have it on IG. Just type in NZDUSD in the finder.

Potential ftse breakout

not sure if i got this right but...
2 inside bars forming at 5445 s/r on 1hr tf
triangle forming on 5min tf with price being forced into apex.

i think that suggests a breakout of this range? So will look for some price action to support this further.

Edit - sorry should mentioned that if i am right i would expect this to break to the downside as a continuation of the recent trend.

Attachments

• FTSE 100 5min triangle.png
    FTSE 100 5min triangle.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 172
not sure if i got this right but...
2 inside bars forming at 5445 s/r on 1hr tf
triangle forming on 5min tf with price being forced into apex.

i think that suggests a breakout of this range? So will look for some price action to support this further.

Edit - sorry should mentioned that if i am right i would expect this to break to the downside as a continuation of the recent trend.

seems as though i got the breakout right - just not the direction:eek:
I thought a symmetrical triangle meant the break is likely in the continued direction?
which I thought looked down on the 1 hr and daily and 5min?

Simon CS, I did wonder about a reversal now - FTSE seems to have hit resistance from an earlier downward trend - see attached.

What do you think?

Edit: I have to admit I wouldn't bet on it either way till I saw a break out from the current sideways trend.

Attachments

• ftse18082008.jpg
    ftse18082008.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 182
Simon CS, I did wonder about a reversal now - FTSE seems to have hit resistance from an earlier downward trend - see attached.

What do you think?

Edit: I have to admit I wouldn't bet on it either way till I saw a break out from the current sideways trend.

thanks - yup agree it has been going sideways for a while. still seems to 100 point swings in the channel (5545 - 5445 since 05/08)though.

SimonSC, I'm thinking this is the start of a long term reversal... what's your opinion?

SimonSC, I'm thinking this is the start of a long term reversal... what's your opinion?

I can't really answer from a TA point of view as this is all still fairly new to me, I'm afraid. However the recent gains over the bear trend since Nov 07 will be short lived I think. I just have a gut feel that the wheels are going to come off come Sep/Oct (it has often seen bearish activity in this time period).
am tempted to buy some ftse put options, if they are cheap enough
As i say though - just gut feel

if you want to make money - just do the opposite to me:cheesy:

Thanks for your thoughts Simon. I would bet I know less than you, but if it's worth anything, I happen to agree with your opinion. From my point of view, it's nice to know that I'm thinking along similar lines to those who are more experienced than myself.

I went short at 5482, and then changed my mind - should have stuck with it :confused:

Thanks for your thoughts Simon. I would bet I know less than you, but if it's worth anything, I happen to agree with your opinion. From my point of view, it's nice to know that I'm thinking along similar lines to those who are more experienced than myself.

I went short at 5482, and then changed my mind - should have stuck with it :confused:

5482? MA crossover on 5min TF by chance?;)

not to worry plenty more will come round. i lost my bottle on oil this pm and closed for 4 points instead of 250.:whistling

Status
Not open for further replies.