Plain Vanilla Options Trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
linesniffer said:
Was Beaumarche one of the lions? He off-loaded his options onto Leason.
The lion's den is the lion's den, regardless as to who might or might not be taking the other side of the trades. Who took the other side of the trades is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is this kid was put into it, without any proper preparation, is the really tragic part of the whole sorry affair. Understand that I am not defending him, but I can see the predicament into which someone very young without the proper experience and knowledge can get himself into, easily, all the while believing he is doing the right thing.

SOCRATES said:
Are you implying that the Sunday Times Business News section would have told deliberate lies about the affair, considering the Bank Of England, which is The Lender of Last Resort was actively engaged in discussions with the Sultan of Brunei in the middle of the drama to try to put together a rescue package for the bank (which subsquently did not materialise) but the matter was fraught at the time as I remember ? Is that the way you think ?...that a newpaper would stick its neck out and leave itself open to litigation in this way ?

The bank collapsed because the exposure in the futures market was huge and negative and beyond the permitted margin allowed by the banking system, the skirt. The fact that in the latter stages extra funding may have been created by what you say is incidental.

My point is that the bank was brought down in the manner reported at the time, no more, no less.

You are trying to force fit the concept of writing options and Black Swans together which is like taking bits of a jigsaw puzzle that do not slot in together and forcing them to fit to suit your ideas, which are not correct, once again.

I am getting really fed up with your nonsense, if it is not one thing, then you invent another.

No I am not saying the times would lie but are you saying that at the time they had total knowledge of the situation and positions of barings or did they just have a press release

Now the post I made is fact, it had nothing to do with jigsaws and sloting in and you saw fit to tell me I was wrong just for the sake of it

dc2000 said:
No I am not saying the times would lie but are you saying that at the time they had total knowledge of the situation and positions of barings or did they just have a press release

Now the post I made is fact, it had nothing to do with jigsaws and sloting in and you saw fit to tell me I was wrong just for the sake of it
Wot now ?

I know exactly what you want.

You want to intertwine the idea of Option Writing and Black Swans, from whichever angle you think is possible.

You are hoping one of these creatures will make an appearance and will cause me to bring out the rolled newpapers to swat it with, is what you want...:rolleyes:

SOCRATES said:
Wot now ?

I know exactly what you want.

You want to intertwine the idea of Option Writing and Black Swans, from whichever angle you think is possible.

You are hoping one of these creatures will make an appearance and will cause me to bring out the rolled newpapers to swat it with, is what you want...:rolleyes:

Classic Soc
You know your post saying I was wrong was not correct and somehow you try and turn things around to suggest something else or that I am in some way bothering you

face it Soc you either read the post wrong or you just wanted to be controversial

I would watch your spelling though :eek:

dc2000 said:
Classic Soc
You know your post saying I was wrong was not correct and somehow you try and turn things around to suggest something else or that I am in some way bothering you

face it Soc you either read the post wrong or you just wanted to be controversial

I would watch your spelling though :eek:
You have just reminded me, thank you.

I must obtain this weekend edition of the Financial Times complete with the supplement to replace last week's edition, to keep the swatting capability up to date, thanks again....:cheesy:

linesniffer said:
Black Swans can effect any instrument.

If a Swan is Black enough, it will go straight through a stop.
Yes, I agree.

That is why it has to be detected before it appears and swatted hard, really hard to discourage it from making a nuisance of itself and plunging prices to the centre of the earth as it likes to do, or even coming out the other side and colliding with ducatti, u c ? One has to be alert, well informed and have up to date copies of the correct newpaper rolled up...ready.....:cheesy:

So which is it to be?
1. Everything is known in advance.
2. Near-certainty
3. More purple haze.

Glenn

.....which reminds, kung hay fat choy to my Chinese friends here for the Year of the Pig
Richard

SOCRATES said:
To prove a point, irrespective, because I easily can...so you must not worry and thanks for the offer anyway. Very Kind. Not Necessary....:cheesy:

I hate to say I told you so
outer zone now breached looking to rearm short

Mr. Charts said:
This is not a Black Swan.
It is a Flying Pig.
Richard
No it's not a black swan, not even close. Down 2% in a single day is not that unusual. It's happened 141 times in the past 23 years, or 6 times a year, on average.

What should be noted is how implied vol has spiked. Last night the front month ATM was trading at 10.4%, it's now 14.3% as I type. The margin on short puts, especially far dated OTM options, will go ballistic tomorrow. Those that cannot stump up the dosh will be closed out - at market.

If anybody cares to post up the open positions of you know who, I'll post up the margin requirements, before and after todays slide.

Profitaker said:
No it's not a black swan, not even close. Down 2% in a single day is not that unusual. It's happened 141 times in the past 23 years, or 6 times a year, on average.

What should be noted is how implied vol has spiked. Last night the front month ATM was trading at 10.4%, it's now 14.3% as I type. The margin on short puts, especially far dated OTM options, will go ballistic tomorrow. Those that cannot stump up the dosh will be closed out - at market.

If anybody cares to post up the open positions of you know who, I'll post up the margin requirements, before and after todays slide.

Hi profitaker,

I will appreciate if you can post margin required for those position to remain open. So we get idea of how much is required to do theses type of trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.