my journal 3

Other than the feedback to Adamus, let us write some of my thoughts, as usual.

GBP and ZW are doing just fine and rising according to schedule.

GBL is not a concern, at all, because I know that sooner or later it will fall.

The one problem and worry that I have today is JPY, aside from the server, that's been experiencing some connectivity problems (my friend is working on it).

JPY is not rising nearly as much as I expcted it to rise. It owes me another 400 ticks.

Tomorrow I will probably close GBP and ZW, and be left with JPY (GBL doesn't count, because it will simply fall).

But then I am also thinking this: why should I close ZW and GBP, that have been compensating for the loss by JPY and GBL so far?

Shouldn't I keep all trades open at the same time and close them all at once?

GBL is an exception for sure, but what about the others?

My magical thinking and my estimates urged me to close everything this Friday (tomorrow), but maybe it is best to wait another week. The dollar is still very strong relative to the other currencies, and if I waited another week... yeah, I'll probably wait another week for everything except ZW, which is making just too much money. Or wait... I'll hold ZW as well.

Last edited:
I guess I am just very frustrated about the server having connection problems right now. My friend is even more frustrated than I am, and each time this happens he threatens to retire. He doesn't care that I pay him. He's still doing it as a favor to me. He'd rather not get paid and not have to solve my connection problems.

We have two connections and today both failed for a while. We're working on the second connection kicking in when the first one fails, but windows has problems with this. Actually it worked fine for years, but lately we've been having problems.

Yeah, I guess this is the biggest problem in my mind right now. The connection.

I am like this, Adamus: I could make 20k from my next trade and usually this would make me the happiest person, but if everything isn't perfect, and let's say someone stares at me for one second or says the wrong thing to me, then I'll be pissed off for the next 48 hours.

Ok, finally.

It's finally happened.

GBL still against me, but that's a case apart as we said.

The news is that JPY and GBP are finally having their day, and rising quite intensely.

Now my capital is at 35k again.

Which counts as 51k as we count the GBL at -2500 as...

brb, phone

... It counts as 51k, because GBL, when it falls where it is going to fall, will give me 16k of profit, relative to where it is now.

So I already have 16k from that one.

Now the real question for me is whether I want to be happy with "just" 51k as I have now or I want to overdo it, and let JPY and GBP rise for a few...

brb, phone again

... Do I want to overdo it and risk making 60k or more, or should I just be happy with what I got as Manny says?

Scarface "the world chico...and everything in it" - YouTube

Then there's also the risk of being shot and winding up in a swimming pool.

I feel JPY and GBP have great potential, and so does ZW.

However, once they've risen for quite a bit, there's also the risk of them turning the other way and going back where they had been going until recently.

So far, what has risen for quite a bit and what hasn't?

GBP, almost there.
JPY hasn't.

JPY could stay open for another week.

GBP should be closed 300 ticks higher than where it is now.

ZW should be closed on Friday, no matter where it is, because... no it can also wait another week.

GBL for sure has to wait, maybe as much as two more weeks.

Overall, for fear of closing positions too early, which I have a tendency to do, I should close nothing, nothing at all.

The only thing that's keeping me from... from keeping them all open is one thing: magical thinking. I had decided that tomorrow was the right day. I had found methods, movies, swimming, math, to hold out until tomorrow.

But the markets do not deliver profit according to my magical thinking schedule.

So, now I'll have to decide whether I was one week too early in expecting my profit, and let profits run for another week (provided they run and not reverse), or whether I want to follow my magical thinking schedule and bite my tongue all next week, in case JPY and GBP rise like crazy.

Let's say that if the combined profit is above 40k tomorrow evening, knowing that I'll reap an additional 16k from GBL, I could close everything.

So, being above 40k tomorrow will solve all my doubts and dilemmas. If I'll be at 35k tomorrow, then we have a problem, and I will be tempted to keep everything open for another week.

56k is really a dream come true, so if tomorrow I am at 40k, I will close everything I have open and patiently wait for GBL to deliver the remaining 16k of profit.

Yeah, Adamus, I guess I am now in that phase where I am feeling that unusual anxiety from too much profit. Now I feel like afraid from letting profits run and reach embarrassing levels. That's why people have takeprofits, right? To not be disturbed by too much profit.

At any rate, overall I feel confident that if tomorrow everything is close to 40k, I will close all my positions other than GBL.

Yeah, I am sad.

Each time what I have increases, I still feel bad about what I don't have.

It's like this: when your glass/account is empty, you get used to it, and feel ok about it. But when the account starts growing, then you really realize how empty it really is. And you also realize how many other things you are missing in life. Things which until then you hadn't seen because you were so focused on getting your account to grow. Once it grows, you realize you have nothing else, and even what you have, 35k, is not that satisfactory.

What I have on my side on the other hand is the staggering performance. 40k is already in my pocket, due to GBL, and so I already did what was in my dreams: decupling my account and going from 4k to 40k in less than a year: september, october, november, december, january february, march... less than 7 months.

And if we can assume also that 44k is in my pocket, then I will soon be able to say that I have made a 1000% return in less than a year.

Last edited:
OK, back home. Today there's really no need to stay away because for sure I will NOT close my trades today, no matter what, given that Friday is the most favorable day to this type of positions (long the markets markets, short fixed income futures). So swimming yes, but no movies. It's tiring and unnecessary.

I will now set a plan for closing my positions (other than GBL).

In brief, I will close them after 3 green candles, or after one with a rise more than 150 ticks on GBP and JPY, and more than 10 points on ZW. In other words, as soon as ZW reaches the 750 area, I close it.

Let us look at their 3 charts and decide my plan (I placed the comments in them):

gbp.png

jpy.png

zw.png

GBL will have to wait. Weeks. It's far from being closed. That will be my final feat, which will bring me above 50k.

Dude, I just checked the markets. Doing good, but I am far from closing my positions. They're not gaining those 150 ticks I was expecting. I need at least one of those days before closing JPY and GBP.

Some charts! I like it. A picture is worth a thousand words. As I understand it, you should be trying to avoid or suppress that feeling of having too much profit - that's just your mind playing tricks on you. You need to clear your mind of that feeling somehow and then work out how you feel about the positions.

Sounds impossible? I doubt it. There must be a way.

[Edit: I see from your last message that you seem to be in control - now maybe that gives you a chance to examine why.]

PS and by the way, boredom is not an emotion. It is a mild type of frustration, which is a mild type of annoyance, which derives from not thinking about what you could do to constructively solve the issue, but rather giving in to annoyance and smashing stuff up, i.e. in this case, your trading account. Correct me if I am wrong!

PPS and giving in to annoyance is just a lack of willpower again - ego depletion maybe.

Last edited:
Replying as I read.

Yes, the mind playing tricks, including the magical thinking of considering today the end of my struggle, which I have been saying for two weeks.

I am in a good mood because my account balance is rising, but I am now more prone to closing my positions impulsively than I was before, because my tendency is to close profitable positions and leave unprofitable ones open. So these positions of mine have now been telling me for over a week: "profit, profit, close it now, before it goes away...".

"boredom is not an emotion"... well, we're getting to fussy about semantics. I would say that boredom, if it is not exactly an emotion, is still quite related to emotions. Yes, I don't break things, but, as I said, given my overall discipline and willpower-depletion in every other aspect of my life, I vent out my frustration with my trading.

Capital above 35k. I am feeling really good.

Roommate out of the way. Low-intelligence being. He's eating lunch now and playing with the other monkeys. Lower forms of intelligence and sensitivity.

Despite the high level reached by my account, I am not prone to closing it today, because, dude, believe it or not, JPY and GBP are only gaining... the whole day they have been ranging from a gain of 10 ticks to a gain of 100 ticks. This is nothing compared to what they can do, and what I am expecting. They're capable of making 180 ticks in one day. I have put up with so many days of losing 200 ticks on both of them, and now I am expecting at least one day of rising with the same intensity.

So, despite my magical thinking, today I am not yet tempted to close my positions.

Yes, of course, they could resume their falling, and I could lose all the profit that I've made so far.

But, what I am saying is this: after falling for months, and then reversing, because they clearly have reversed, ZW, GBP, JPY have now to still show me some wild rising, some huge big thick green candles. I cannot do top/bottom picking with months of anguish and then quit my positions after a bounce of 10 ticks.

Unless today they'll rise at least 150 ticks, I am going to have to wait another whole week before closing my positions.

Last edited:
Back at home.

Been swimming, lots.

Been talking to the doorman, went to get an squeeze orange juice with him. It must be the maid who stole the jewelry, because there were no signs that the door had been forced open. Now my parents think instead that it wasn't the maid, when it was I who made them aware that we can't accuse her because we don't have any proofs. Now they categorically rule out that it was her, whereas when they first told me, they were positive that it was the maid. This is bull****. There's still a good 50% of probability that it was her, no matter how convincing her performance was when she "learned" about it. Nonetheless we can neither accuse her nor treat her differently. The same applies to everyone else, including the doorman, and even me. I could have stolen the jewelry. As a sneak preview, I can tell you that i didn't steal it.

Went and looked at TWS. Now capital is at 37k, but partly because my GBL position improved quite a bit.

So basically my capital is at 36k and... I should not be closing any of the trades today, although my magical thinking says that today is the magical day.

Let's put it like this: if capital reaches 39k, regardless of where the profit comes from, I will close all positions but GBL.

Nothing less though. 39k and I close GBP, JPY and ZW. Less than 39k and I keep everything open, most likely for a whole extra week.

I am still looming over TWS, but it's already a quarter 13.00 US CT, so it's likely that I'll be able to wait until the close, and that I won't close anything unless they're really exploding.

Last edited:
Ok, just one hour to go, and JPY and GBP are both rising about 50 ticks. I cannot possibly close my trades today. This is far from the rise I was expecting, so I am not going to close them. Too late to close ZW anyway, so this problem is solved, too, and it wasn't rising that much anyway.

Capital above 37k.

I am most likely going to carry all my trades overnight and over-weekend.

Other than this, I am pretty happy. Most likely these positions will last another entire week. And hopefully they will bring my account to 50k.

Markets closed, week over.

Systems lost 4k this week. Pretty awful.

I have to select them even better.

If I count the last 25 weeks, which is the last six months, almost, I have made 500 dollars.

Then, in the month before, I have made 10k.

So these systems for the period are up 10k, but for the last six months (almost) they are at break-even.

Awful, awful. I need to select better systems, but this is going to be hard, because they're already super-selected. They're simply failing all at once. Not really failing, but breaking even.

They made lots of money before I started trading them, and now they're making 15% of what they used to make.

At any rate, what matters is that I get to 50k, and then I automate the whole process.

Last edited:
Ok, fellas. What awaits me this morning, it's a Saturday, is working on my systems' money management. I need to find out if the average absolute deviation is better or at least as good as the standard deviation (stdev() and stdevp() on excel), in which case I will swap them, because it is far simpler and it doesn't make sense to make things more complex. As you know, or at least I know, because I said it before here, the average absolute deviation (avedev() on excel) is exactly what it says: the average of the absolute deviations from the mean. On the other hand, the lower form of intelligence known as "standard deviation" is just a fashionable excrement, which no one really remembers what it is - they just use it. People are strange.

THE DOORS - People are strange (1967).MPG - YouTube

Cfr. this excellent paper on the difference between standard deviation and average absolute deviation:
Revisiting a 90-year-old debate: the advantages of the mean deviation

Cfr. these previous posts I wrote about it:
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trading-journals/140032-my-journal-3-post1788334.html
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trading-journals/140032-my-journal-3-post1809600.html

The little huge problem I have always had with it is that they compute all differences, do not remove the sign (making them "absolute deviations") which would have been the easiest thing to do, then they sum them and divide them by their number, sometimes even minus one, which corrupts the result even further, and then they square root them!

Dude, this is not the simplest and most effective way to do this, so I am all against it. If I have -2 and then do the square, which is 4, and then do the square root, I get 2, which is the absolute value. And so far so good. But if I compute the mean of all squared deviations and only then do i take the square root, then things are different and corrupted, so corrupted, that we cannot say anymore, as many say, that the standard deviation is the average deviation. It is not. It is some garbage. It is not the average deviation, for sure.

Once I've done this, and have automated my fixed fractional approach, by creating a totally self-sufficient formula, which still needs many tests, then I'll focus on automating the selection of the systems that pass the test of the fixed fractional. This second part actually comes first.

In other words, I first select the best systems. And then I apply to them a fixed fractional approach of allowing them to risk 2% of my account on each trade.

Let us do the tests of avedev() vs stdev() and stdevp() with my trades from three systems: AUD_ID_01, AUD_ID_02, AUD_ID_03:

AUD_ID_01

AUD_ID_02

AUD_ID_03

Here's the results:

AUD_ID_01
stdev 219
stdevp 209
avedev 187
stdevp/stdev 96%
avedev/stdev 86%

AUD_ID_02
stdev 429
stdevp 427
avedev 323
stdevp/stdev 99% (much larger sample of trades, that's why)
avedev/stdev 75%

AUD_ID_03
stdev 279
stdevp 275
avedev 217
stdevp/stdev 99% (much larger sample of trades)
avedev/stdev 78%

Ok, so obviously we can just focus on stdevp vs avedev, given that the other one, stdev, only differs when there's very few trades, which is never the case with my samples.

Their ratio is pretty much constant, and probably taking the square root after averaging the squared deviations is something that increases the weight of the outliers, as suggested by my math tutor (we spend an hour discussing the difference between average absolute deviation and standard deviation, and he's an engineer but he had never noticed this issue, and I almost got him to agree with me).

Even our old foe, the sharpe ratio, would be so much friendlier, if we reduced it to simply: average profit divided by average absolute deviation. But hell no, they had to add a whole bunch of things to make it complicated, unnecessarily. They use standard deviation to begin with. And they add the risk-free rate, which again is useless for traders. Because we don't go after making 5% a year, but at least 100% a year, so the risk-free rate is so tiny that it is just a nuisance and doesn't add anything useful.

Let's take a little break and show off my latest equity curve. It's the highest it's ever been. Let's enjoy it while it lasts:

Snap1.jpg

What really gives you a sense of the achievement (or the luck) is not just the slope (which can't get better, because the scale would simply keep getting smaller: it can't go through the roof), but also how small the initial column is getting. We're almost to the point of it being one tenth of the last column.

But this chart is mostly the fruit of my discretionary trading (only about one third of all profit came from automated trading), and I won't be satisfied until I automate the money management of my trading systems and I get a monthly profit from my systems.

Why, because I am very aware that my discretionary is... ultimately... not profitable. My discretionary trading will blow out my account, because I am not capable of taking losses. Sometime something will go wrong enough to upset me. I will lose my emotional balance enough to ruin my financial balance.

Each time i get high on my equity curve, I must remind myself of my previous equity curves:

equity_march_1st_2008_to_april_17th_2009.jpg

20100614_to_20110926.gif

They just didn't keep rising to a million. I ended up doing something wrong, repeatedly. Not just me but the investors as well (even when every was automated, except for our selection of systems/contracts). It just happens and it happens quite soon, unless:

1) you have an entirely automated approach
2) you have a statistically sound money management, and it's automated

I have neither right now. I am trading discretionary. And I am picking my systems/contracts by guesstimates.

So... let's get back to work.

The first thing I'll calculate on excel is the correl() between the stdevp and avedev of my 120 systems. If it'll be above 0.95, then I'll go ahead and even change the sharpe ratio formula to one using just average trade over average absolute deviation, and simplify it once and for all.

... that's it! It gives me 0.986759804

Awesome.

This means all the garbage they put in the standard deviation is useless. How do you get rid of the sign? Morons square the deviations, average them and then take the square root of them. Me, I just take the sign away from it and I am done. And I don't corrupt the formula.

From now on I am officially through with standard deviation. It is out of my mind for good.

From now on I will use average absolute deviation instead.

I will now change the workbooks where I am using sharpe ratio to a sharpe ratio that uses avedev.

Done.

What's next?

Bath tub, with 2 phones, so I can write down any eureka intuitions that come to me.

Back from the bath tub and... bingo!

Fascinating simplicity.

Here's my plan.

I have two phases:
1) selection of good systems
2) fixed fractional to allocate contracts for the good systems (with varying amounts of capital)

Things to do, according to phases:
1)
A. find out how good the (new) sharpe ratio is, and if it includes the info given by profit factor: check correlation and if there can be a system with good sharpe ratio and bad profit factor and viceversa. If there isn't, then we can skip profit factor altogether.
B. define certain fixed rules for the selection of systems such as for example: need more than 20 forward-tested trades, need more than 1000 dollars in yearly profit (no point in trading miniature systems... or wait: yes point, because you can use many contracts!), etcetera.

2) see if fixed fractional with a simple division of capital available by average absolute deviation works, as I expect.

And then I am done. Years of work to come to simple formulas like the above.

(new) sharpe ratio vs profit factor:

2% 1.0
2% 1.0
2% 1.0
3% 1.1
3% 1.1
4% 1.1
4% 1.1
4% 1.1
4% 1.1
6% 1.1
7% 1.2
8% 1.2
8% 1.2
8% 1.2
9% 1.2
9% 1.2
9% 1.2
9% 1.2
10% 1.2
11% 1.2
11% 1.3
12% 1.3
12% 1.3
12% 1.3
12% 1.3
12% 1.3
13% 1.3
15% 1.3
16% 1.4
16% 1.4
16% 1.4
17% 1.4
18% 1.4
18% 1.4
19% 1.4
21% 1.5
22% 1.6
22% 1.6
22% 1.6
22% 1.6
23% 1.6
23% 1.7
25% 1.6
25% 1.7
26% 1.7
26% 1.7
26% 1.7
27% 1.8
27% 1.7
27% 1.7
27% 1.7
31% 1.8
31% 1.9
33% 2.0
34% 1.9
35% 2.1
37% 2.0
38% 2.2
38% 2.2
41% 2.3
42% 2.3
43% 2.4
47% 2.8
47% 2.4

Obviously, given the simplification of the sharpe ratio (now for me it is just average profit over average absolute deviation), I measure it in % terms. I came up with just the systems that are profitable.

Let's now compute the correlation, which will most likely be above 0.9.

... and Bingo!

We can totally rule out profit factor, because sharpe ratio totally takes care of it.

Another interesting thing I remarked is that sharpe ratio even works for systems that did not have any losses yet:

JPY_ON_02 has had 2 trades, both wins:

This gives it a (new) sharpe ratio of 1.36, because the average profit is higher than the average absolute deviation.

Let's move on to the next step.

Things to do, according to phases:
1)
A. find out how good the (new) sharpe ratio is, and if it includes the info given by profit factor: check correlation and if there can be a system with good sharpe ratio and bad profit factor and viceversa. If there isn't, then we can skip profit factor altogether.
B. define certain fixed rules for the selection of systems such as for example: need more than 20 forward-tested trades, need more than 1000 dollars in yearly profit (no point in trading miniature systems... or wait: yes point, because you can use many contracts!), etcetera.

2) see if fixed fractional with a simple division of capital available by average absolute deviation works, as I expect.

Ok, after I'll be done I'll go buy some Japanese sushi and beer to celebrate (not the restaurant though).

Let's define the fixed rules that will allow me to discard systems, other than those discarded via the (new) sharpe ratio.

Ok, the limit is set at >= 10 forward-tested trades.

Done. I had to do a lot of customizations for part #2, because a lot of my ES/YM/NQ systems are identical, and, given how correlated the traded futures are, the systems produce very similar trades, so I had to divide their contracts by 2 and 3 in most cases, to avoid giving too much weight to very similar trades.

Now I'll see, in the coming weeks, if this automated (yes, it is entirely automated now!) methodology works correctly in every aspect.

In the meanwhile the two popes have met and are hugging:

popes.jpg

At any rate, this is just excellent. These are the weeks it would have produced if used from the start of my seven months:

Worst drawdown just about 8000 dollars lost, twice. In the past 7 months, and this is all automated.

The return is about 6000 per month, which, on the capital of 45k which I've been using in my test, is equivalent to 13.33%.

This is good.

If instead we use the whole forward-tested sample, the weekly gain goes from 1500 to 3000, which is good, because the difference when i picked the systems by eye used to be much bigger like one to four, rather than one to two.

This could be good, real good.

Look at the equity curve, with this automated money management:

curve.jpg

Also, in the whole forward-tested sample, the overall drawdowns do not exceed the 8k that are incurred in my brief 7 months.

Given that as capital will increase, so will the contracts allocated, I have to fear a loss of about 20% (8k out of 45k) in the worst months, about 3 times per year, and expect an average profit of 13% every month (6k out of 45k invested).

I could even slow down a little in the future, and accept a 10% return while limiting drawdowns to about 15%.

Provided that I do reach 45k next week, then I am all set. A life of peace, away from people is awaiting me.

I wish to hear nothing but this:

Satie: Gnossienne No. 5 - YouTube

Last edited:
My friend from college called me, and he asked me how my trading is going.

This puts pressure on me. One thing is to come here and post my equity curve, without anyone asking for it. Another thing is people... one person or two bugging me and periodically asking me how the equity curve is evolving.

This has to stop.

I either avoid these people, or I tell them "no more asking me how it's going".

I am not saying the mere asking is going to make the markets go against me, but it might have an impact on me, giving me performance anxiety, as if I had to be profitable because I know they'll ask me how it went.

At the same time, I realize that after telling them this is my dream and project, and them being my "best" friends, it is hard for them not to be curious.

I'll have to find an intermediate way of scaling down the disclosure of information.

Let us plan the scaling down of it:

1. "how's the trading going?"... "37k"
2. "how's the trading going?"... "pretty well"... "how much did you reach?"... "well, I'd rather not say the exact..." ... "closer 30k or to 40k?" ... "as I said, I'd rather not say... it puts pressure on me..."... on and on.
3. "how's the trading going?".... "as I said, I'd rather not say the exact figure..."
4. "how's the trading going?"... "I told you I don't want to talk about it".
5. "how's the trading going?"... "go to hell".

Last edited:
Remember all the fuss about the RFID chip? I was wrong about this prediction, too. It's now past march 23, and Americans weren't forced to have one:
Google Trends - RFID chip
rfid.jpg

Hidden Obamacare Secret: "RFID Chip Implants" Mandatory for All by March 23, 2013?!?

Google Trends - peak oil
peak_oil.jpg

Google Trends - financial collapse
financial_collapse.jpg

In the last year I've been wrong about every single prediction: RFID chip by march 23, 2013, London Olympics attacks, peak oil by the end of 2012, financial collapse by the end of 2012, and some more I forgot.

Not bad though, because while being wrong on my conspiracy predictions, I was right about my financial predictions. Of course, if there's a financial collapse and I happen to be right on my conspiracy predictions, I will then lose what I made by being right about my financial predictions. The two things are not independent, and indeed the more money I make, the less I want to be right on my prediction of financial collapse.

Last edited:
Now I'll try watching some trading movies, if I can find them:
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/general-trading-chat/71982-movies-trading-post877406.html
Watch movies online for free movie download at movie2k.to

Got it, found one:

Limit Up Director's Cut - YouTube

Soybeans Futures Chart - Long-Term Commodity Chart

s.jpg

Not too far today from where it was in 1988, when they made this movie, 25 years ago.

And wheat, wheat has recently touched a point where it was 40 years ago:
Wheat Futures Chart - Long-Term Commodity Chart

All things considered, I may be wiser to not exit with "just" 50k of capital next week, but wait until it goes higher.

All my bets were extremely overstretched and have reversed. I don't know... for sure I'll wait another whole week. But I am now wondering whether I should wait an entire extra month, and come out of it with a capital of 80k.

Excellent movie, despite not being a masterpiece. Its strength was the story, especially the ending. It was like an unexpected jewel.

Last edited: