my journal 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
my database of movies worth watching

Here it is. It took me many years to build this, but I am giving it to you for free. My precious list of movies, ranked by quality on a scale from 1 to 20.

It's not a list of every movie I've ever watched. It's a list of movies I recommend. A movie with a rating of 20 is the worst on my list, but I still recommend it.

Obviously you must not read my comments before you watch them. It'd be best to not even read who the director is, otherwise you'd be influenced.

Just click on the link "watch" and watch them.

I would start with the movies with a rating of 1.

Attachments

• movies_worth_watching.xls
    331 KB · Views: 422
Re: my database of movies worth watching

Some great movies there. I especially like Scarface. Have you seen 'Layer Cake'?

Sam

No, I haven't seen it, but it's there, ready to be watched, along with the other "cake" movies:
http://www.letmewatchthis.com/index.php?search_keywords='Layer+Cake'&search_section=1

But first I need to go to the pastry shop, because it would be frustrating to watch cakes without eating them. Make sure you watch the movies you think are not "great" just because you don't know them. If they are on the list and have a rating of 1 to 10 (1 being the best), then they are all great.

back from work, back to work

I got back home and surprise surprise the maid bought the wrong type of milk. This drives me crazy almost as much as Vito the Chimp looking at me while I try to focus on my work. All sorts of disasters have to happen in my life lately.

I need to forget and soon I will start a movie, before I do anything crazy. To begin with, I emptied the 4 liters of milk in the sink. Then I wrote her a note. Then I sent her a text message, saying that it tasted like water and to never buy it again. Then I called her. And she replied "oh, but your favorite milk wasn't there". And I said "well, next time better nothing, because this one tastes like water". And she said "strange, because on the box it said it was good for your health and a lot of other positive things...".

This goddamn maid. After trying to get her to buy the right milk in vain for 6 months, I even went to the grocery store with her to show her precisely what milk I want. She bought it fine for 4 months, and now, when everything seemed to go perfectly, and I had congratulated her on doing a great job, she goes and buys the wrong type of milk again!

I need to drink a beer and watch a movie. If I don't get drunk i don't know what I'll do. I am also catching a fever, and already have a cold.

The good thing would be that I don't have to go to work if I am sick.

In fact I was just exaggerating, but that's my type of humour. In a sense I manipulate my writing to make myself look more of a psycho than I am and create humour. But the stupidity of the people I describe is all real.

This quote almost always applies to my writing:
http://english.owu.edu/
All writing, even writing on the most serious of subjects, is a form of word play in which the writer manipulates language in order to shape a reader’s response.

I was googling on writers manipulating language and readers, and I came across it. I didn't read the rest and don't even know what they're talking about. But that quote is a good quote.

I exaggerate my problems so I can vent out my frustration and by doing that i create humour. I try to laugh at people and at myself, so I can feel better. If i write about Vito and the maid, then I can tolerate their stupidity and annoyances more easily. I suppose that's the source of a lot of sarcasm. It's a way to beat someone up with words, without having to pay the consequences. I can't get rid of the neighbours, I can't get rid of Vito, and I can't get rid of the maid. The next maid on top of being stupid would be a thief as well, so that's why I want to keep the one I have.

I now need a beer and I need a comedy. So I'll go in my list of movies and look for a director that made comedies I liked.

The first choice is this guy:

Farrelly Brothers (with ranking):
4 Dumb and dumber
12 The Heartbreak Kid
12 Kingpin
13 There's Something About Mary

It takes a genius to make 4 comedies that make my top 200 of movies. Yet he is beaten by Mike Judge on my list, in terms of ratings:

Mike Judge (with rankings):
6 Idiocracy
8 Extract
10 Office space
13 Beavis and Butt-head Do America

What else did they make that i haven't seen?

It's listed as Bobby Farrelly, and there's a lot I haven't seen:
http://www.moviesonlineathome.com/?&director=Bobby Farrelly

I'll watch one of those and hopefully I'll fall asleep. That way I might recover from the potential fever. I might defeat an oncoming fever.

I'll watch this:
http://www.moviesonlineathome.com/watch-2315-Osmosis-Jones

I also updated my list of movies worth watching with the total score by director.

Attachments

• movies_worth_watching.xls
    356.5 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
Not what I was looking for but well made.

Then I tried this one but not too good:
http://www.freemoviecommunity.com/watch-1708-Fever-Pitch

I cannot find any more masterpieces by this guy:
http://www.moviesonlineathome.com/?&director=Bobby Farrelly

Last one to still watch is this:
http://www.freemoviecommunity.com/watch-2023-Stuck-on-You

I guess it's hard even for a genius to make masterpieces. I think the best directors can shoot about 4 awesome movies and that's it. That's it. No one has ever gone any further. Not Scorsese, not Coppola...

The greatest actors instead can star in about twice as many masterpieces. Like De Niro, he probably starred in 8 masterpieces. Let's see:
1) taxi driver
2) king of comedy
3) deerhunter
4) godfather
5) once upon a time in america
6) goodfellas
7) meet the parents
8) meet the fockers
9) ...

De Niro is the best so he can probably go up to 12 masterpieces.

Last edited:
Not a masterpiece but it was interesting:
http://www.freemoviecommunity.com/watch-2023-Stuck-on-You

Takes a lot of guts to make a movie like this. The farrelly brothers managed to make a funny movie out of a very problematic issue.

This movie is not a masterpiece but it's surprisingly funny. I will maybe add it to my list. Depending on how it ends.

It's holding up very well. Matt Damon is a better actor as a comedian than as a regular actor.

Ok, I've added it to my top 200 movies. I guess it deserves it for doing such a good job with such an unusual and complex idea. It's rare to see such an unpromising movie deliver so much. I ranked it 18th.

Last edited:
no work today, 'cause I'm sick

I even told the boss via text message from yesterday.

No Vito. Maybe he gave me the cold and fever. Probably so.

Now I have to go back to sleep.

I woke up, did some tests with excel's "correl" function. It is a great way which systems are not going with the others and can therefore be increased in contracts. On the other hand, it doesn't really tell us if by increasing the contracts of those systems we are not increasing the drawdown, because a system could be inversely correlated for many periods, or not correlated, and still lose in the days of the record drawdown.

But it would be stupid to tweak contracts just based on the fact that by doing so the system decreases its worst drawdown. It can be done only if the system is otherwise inversely or not correlated to the average equity line.

If we were to ever add contracts, besides diversifying as much as possible by adding other systems, we should definitely add those contracts first for the inversely correlated systems, and then for the scarcely correlated ones.

Last edited:
spent hours working on excel

I spent hours working on this concept. Take the best 40 systems and set the worst 21 systems aside.

Buy all the data until today. Done.

What I am now doing is update all tradestation reports and get a list of the updated trades until today, and next I will have to see how well the systems perform in the OUT sample vs the IN sample. I already have this thing for a few systems, about 20. I still have 20 systems to go.

Here's what I see right now:

For the majority of my ninth wave of systems (created July 2010), I have an OUT sample that starts in January 2006 and ends in March 2010. So far (I still have to add 7 of the 20 systems), it looks like this (the red dot indicates the beginning of the OUT sample):

Snap1.jpg

Yeah, I know, it's quite amazing. This means years of work.

For five of the prospective systems ("prospective" to be traded soon), which were all created one or two years ago, except for one of them (CL_ID_3), I am seeing this equity line (the green dot marks the start of the OUT sample):

Snap2.jpg

I've never done so much due diligence on my systems. Hopefully by the time i'm done, they will not stop working.

Basically it looks like eventually I'll be able to count on 30 to 40 good systems.

Last edited:
Today I am home from work and I should celebrate instead of over-working.

I should watch movies, drink beer, and forget about my troubles: namely the maid who buys me the wrong type of milk and Vito the Chimp who stares at me when I am working.

the compulsive gambler and his investors

It's a pretty funny situation the one going on with my investors.

At the start they were afraid I'd gamble with their money, having described my compulsive gambling on these journals. I assured that I wouldn't and we've been trading for over 3 months, and we can say that I did not and that I am reliable (I already knew it). Not only that: I am reliable also in that I get up every day at 7.40 and turn the systems on. But that is part of my compulsiveness.

You see, I am not a compulsive gambler because I am a slob, slacker... I have extra energies, only I put them in the wrong place. But if I don't do that, I am the most reliable person there is, because I will make sure everything is perfect.

But you see, this is also related to the funny aspect of my relationship with the investors.

The systems haven't even made 2000 dollars of profit yet, and I am constantly talking about scaling up, ever since we started trading. What else could you expect from a compulsive gambler? That's how I blew out my account over 30 times in a few years: by scaling up.

The good thing is that they don't give in.

I am compulsive, i have extra energies and I need to see some action. So, while I realize the evil effect of my boredom/need for action from the markets, at the same time I can't help it, and every week I come up with a plan I send to my investors for scaling up.

So far they have resisted me, with the concept of "no profit no scaling up", stressing the need for a cushion that should cover the increased drawdown that results from scaling up in systems and contracts, and I have to admit it makes sense.

At the same time, I need some action and I am growing restless. 10 systems produce about 2 trades per day. Now, that's as boring as waiting for the bus.

Partly, by scaling up, I would be able to quit my job sooner and then I'd be swimming and all that and get all the action I want. Partly scaling up itself would provide me with the excitement I need, in that my systems would produce real trades with real money and I could watch them live and enjoy it like some people who watch sports on tv (not me).

Last edited:
No, I haven't seen it, but it's there, ready to be watched, along with the other "cake" movies:
http://www.letmewatchthis.com/index.php?search_keywords='Layer+Cake'&search_section=1

But first I need to go to the pastry shop, because it would be frustrating to watch cakes without eating them. Make sure you watch the movies you think are not "great" just because you don't know them. If they are on the list and have a rating of 1 to 10 (1 being the best), then they are all great.

Lol its definitely not about cakes! If you watch it, let me know what you think. I'll try and watch some of your top films. Do you watch them on DVD or online? If online which sites are best?

Sam.

P.S. Your rants make me laugh Travis! Especially the one about the milk. As if you actually have a maid anyway?! I didn't realise people still had maids! You must be rich!

Lol its definitely not about cakes! If you watch it, let me know what you think. I'll try and watch some of your top films. Do you watch them on DVD or online? If online which sites are best?

Sam.

P.S. Your rants make me laugh Travis! Especially the one about the milk. As if you actually have a maid anyway?! I didn't realise people still had maids! You must be rich!

A lady who comes every once in a while. That is what you call "maid", isn't it?

Make sure you read my excel file in depth and you'll know where to watch movies online.

Thanks for the feedback. Very useful to know if someone likes what I write.

Tetro is about to go. It's black and white, depressing... I don't know how long more i can watch it.

Layer Cake is next.

Ok, Tetro is going... in 5 minutes if it doesn't show anything good I will interrupt it. Damn, I wish I could terminate people like i terminate movies.

Ok, Tetro is gone. Expected better from the director of the Godfather.

Now Layer Cake. With that actor and that gun it's not my type of movie, so it might be a positive surprise, because if it's what I think I am not expecting to like it.

Last edited:
Ah like a cleaner right? That buys milk. The wrong milk. :LOL:

I'm downloading the plug in to watch movies on one of the websites. It really annoys me when I am downloading some software and it asks me to select my language and it says "English (United States)". English is from England not the bloody USA!!! :(

Problem with Layer Cake as well. Not my type of movie. I am going to give it another 10 minutes and then we're gonna have a problem if it doesn't show anything more.

Problem. I am going to turn it off and go to sleep.

Last edited:
done more work

Ok, now I've updated as many as a total of 20 reports for the prospective/ninth wave systems. I just need 20 more and I'll be all done.

more ideas on systems

From the work mentioned in the post above I've found out something interesting: we should not be using the CL_ON_2 at all. Despite the fact it's been among the best systems in forward-testing, we've been playing with fire. It could meet a drawdown as large 15k at any time.

The same could apply to other systems. We should review the 10 systems traded based on my latest tests and possibly even change the systems we're trading. Yes, we should swap the CL_ON_2 for the CL_ID_3, if the investors let me. Look how much better it does:

Snap2.jpg

Not only does it make more money (purple line), but it falls much less in the bad periods (namely the 75% drop in July-December 2008). Needless to say, both systems are long-only strategies.

In fact, do we want to keep a strategy that makes 2 but loses 1 when the CL goes down or a strategy that makes 3 but loses zero when the CL goes down? No doubts we want the CL_ID_3.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.