my journal 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: paper trade 2 part 2

The average periods from a default value of 33 were shortened to 12 in the example above: the rule seems to be that the more overstretched it is, the faster it moves, the more you can shorten your average, because you will need a shorter average to detect a change in trend. Even if this explanation didn't make sense, it graphically and intuitively makes sense to me, so i will use this approach ("note to self", no objections allowed).

... followed quickly by:

As i said many times before, the ma is my medicine: it postpones my entries and it anticipates my exits (when losing), keeping me from my denial tendencies. And it postpones my exits when winning.

It doesn't postpone your entries if you decide to shorten the MA. But whatever, it's not the entries that you have a problem with. It's taking a loss.

Ok, it's pretty clear that the trade was a success. I've even backtested this. If you follow a moving average between 16 and 17 CET and stay in the trade until 22 CET, you make money on the CL. But I am going to exit at the crossover.

So automate it and make money. But if you try to trade it manually, you will only have one chance to get out of a losing trade and if you blow your chance to exit then, you'll just blow your account as you have done previously. At some point.

("note to self", no objections allowed).

OK in that case I take back what I said.

Why do the sessions have to end? Couldn't we just have a non-stop session? Why do the futures have to expire? Why not just a non-stop contract? Why can't we just have one clock and one time? Why do we have to switch back and forth between New York, Chicago, London and Frankfurt?

This is really pissing me off. I am spending half of the time dealing with problems deriving from these different settings. This is just stupid work. There's nothing good about it, except that maybe others will lose money because they're not doing it right.

constant stoploss practice

With the moving averages (method described previously), I need constant practice in cutting losses, on the chart game. I can't do otherwise. If I don't get this practice, it will mean that I will take real losses and huge ones when I trade with real money. It is like a muscle that needs practice.

I just played it again and doubled capital, with the usual moving average 33 ma method. I need to do this about once a day. Only that way I will get used to the concept that... x (ma crossover) < trade < x (opposite crossover)

the sound of my automated trading

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riders_on_the_Storm

Snap1.jpg

After 3 months of a tight and exhausting range, up and down, the (supposedly) best 10 systems, that are being traded with money, are picking up speed, like the song below, as we're trying to hang on and ride out the storm. We might be able to get out of the drawdown as early as this coming week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKbPUzhWeeI

Like in the song, the pace is slow but relentless. The equity line is always moving but it's not getting anywhere, and we're going up and down... ta-ta ta-ta-ta... ri-ders on-the-storm...

We're in a drawdown, and we're waiting to break on through (to the other side), beyond the previous peak (June 25th).

One thing that needs to be mentioned is that the 10 (supposedly) best systems started to be traded with real money not at the start of the chart, but almost exactly at the peak of the equity line, and so until now we've seen a bit of profit, immediately followed by a 3 months-long drawdown. So it's pretty exhausting, emotionally. The assumption is that what performed best until now should keep on doing it. I still make that assumption, despite these 3 months of drawdown.

Last edited:
doing fine

Systems are profitable again: today they broke above the profitability threshold, but are not yet outside of the drawdown.

I am sleeping at the right time, without taking pills (just melatonin every once in a while).

I got used to the new colleague, who does a lot of talking, and I am managing to work despite him. He's not certainly someone who works quietly. He has to keep the door open to say hi to everyone going by.

The systems are doing good, and I am about to create the 61st system.

Today I even made some money with discretionary trading.

I am ok.

The ma for the chart game was too long. It's better to use 15 than 33 on the daily candles.

I can enter when it gets touched. I can exit as soon as it gets touched again. Even if I think I am right, I cannot stay longer than when an entire candle lies on the other side of the average.

Last edited:
baden powell - images on guitar and other songs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_V-cvsmX1U

This so nice (nothing you can find on mtv or on the radio), also the video is nice. In this song he's smoking, in the following one they're having sex.

Different people, different culture... nowadays this culture is almost extinct. If you are around regular people and like this music, they're going to call you "gay". You have to pretend you like soccer, and have to listen to something pretty loud, or else you must be "gay". I hate this world. Some people should not even be allowed to vote. 90% of people should not even have the right to vote for how stupid they are.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.