Best Thread Live Trading and General Chat Lounge

I see what you mean about stops. But what timeframe are you trading? 150 pips on that pair is twice the current average daily range which is itself falling. I can see the logic in trading a longer timeframe and relaxing with a fire & forget type approach, but even then, wouldn’t you still need to get the direction right over that stretch of time and for it to have the momentum to make it worth putting your money on the line for a payback in a timespan which is reasonable in relation to your trading timeframe?

Maybe I should be asking myself these questions before I enter my trades.

Good points and a hard issue to resolve. It usually comes down to how I feel the trade is going for me. I use a 15 minute TF and sometimes close out before or even buy in again going same way - depending on what it looks like. Means putting aside some screen time though. As in most things a trade off.

Should have gone with the trend and paid the price ! So out before it gets worse. I like to try and get the bottom but didn't here.

Attachments

• Cad-Jpy.PNG
    Cad-Jpy.PNG
    26.7 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Should have gone with the trend and paid the price ! So out before it gets worse

What was that, about 11 pips loss on 150 risked? That's great risk management.

I wish I could have that sort of conviction on a losing trade to get out when it's time to get out rather than watch my stop get hit in the hope it'll turn around. I imagine it would be painful to watch it reverse now and take off, but probably less painful than watching it go all the way down to take out your full 150 pips stop.

Last edited:
I like the look of that one too !
Going with the trend

Attachments

• Eur - Usd.PNG
    Eur - Usd.PNG
    102.4 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Could the reason this thread has been relatively quiet be that it has not been and is still not a good time to be short-term trading? Traders sensibly staying out until there is something worthwhile to go for?

Could the reason this thread has been relatively quiet be that it has not been and is still not a good time to be short-term trading? Traders sensibly staying out until there is something worthwhile to go for?

Nothing wrong with the markets imho as long as they are moving.
eur/usd still down a bit but not much

hoping the eur/usd will bounce up on the lower bollinger band of 699. Stop just below

h
why do you use such small stops ?

I'm looking for momentum to get on board so I shouldn't need to give it too much room if I've got it right. I took the view I'd get taken out far more often than I hit a good run, but that I would exit a bad one at the first hint of trouble reducing my losses per losing trades to the merest fraction of initial amount risked and when I did catch a move, the rewards based on small stop and large position size should exceed my accumulated losses over the long run. That was the theory and proved to be sound on back-test. Didn't quite match my back-test results on demo, but did well enough to convince me to go live. My results since trading live have been awful. I'm still trying to pin down what's different and am currently of the view it's my manual/discretionary meddling with trades and a failure to enter/exit as per system rules. Looking at that last sentence and I laughed out loud at the obvious stupidity of what I'm knowingly doing.

Last edited:
I'm looking for momentum to get on board so I shouldn't need to give it too much room if I've got it right. I took the view I'd get taken out far more often than I hit a good run, but that I would exit a bad one at the first hint of trouble reducing my losses per losing trades to the merest fraction of initial amount risked and when I did catch a move, the rewards based on small stop and large position size should exceed my accumulated losses over the long run. That was the theory and proved to be sound on back-test. Didn't quite match my back-test results on demo, but did well enough to convince me to go live. My results since trading live have been awful. I'm still trying to pin down what's different and am currently of the view it's my manual/discretionary meddling with trades and a failure to enter/exit as per system rules. Looking at that last sentence and I laughed out loud at the obvious stupidity of what I'm knowingly doing.

Not a bad theory but there is a difference with real money trades to demo.Things seem to tighten up until they lock-up. I would suggest trade very small amounts until you have proved to yourself you are on a winning momentum.
Only a thought but............

I'm only trading a maximum of 1 lot per trade. Currently 2 lots with my open Cable position.

What and When Pat?

eurusd has only had a 21 pip range since the open.

According to my MT5 account I made 45 times my initial stake. Rightly or wrongly I call them pips. What your 21 refers to I have no idea

Attachments

• eur-usd.PNG
    eur-usd.PNG
    42.9 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
According to my MT5 account I made 45 times my initial stake. Rightly or wrongly I call them pips. What your 21 refers to I have no idea

My 21 refers to the range on eurusd since it opened today. It has a low of 3827 and a high of 3848 which is 21 pips.

I was just asking what level you got in at and what level you got out at. For you to have made 45 times your risk, you would have had to get in at the absolute bottom and out at the absolute top and your stop would have had to have been less than half a pip.

Cable TP placed at 6832 and switching off now.

I'll come back here to this thread when I've got a system that works.

Last edited: