Live & Die by the sword....

its not that rough a time

1000 points drawdown on an EOD strat is nothing..

well not quite nothing, but you know what i mean!

i'll be closing longs at EOD today, and then adding a (possibly final) short.

nnngggg

FetteredChinos said:
certainly is, Bull!

17th today.. 3 cycles coming in today on the Dow.. the forces are strong...

bit scary in the short term, but thats what catastrophe stops are for!
What are the 3 cycles coming in on the Dow today ?

Cannon & Ball huh - glad to see you have retained your sense of humour !

The latest flavour of the month around the trading block seems to be Meta trader ( see thread ).
Schoe has been sucked in and will make commentary as long as it doesn't turn out to be yet another black hole for one's dosh, we should be hearing from him sometime soon.

Without wanting to sound rude...Isnt this thread a practical example on how to lose money? I'd not seen it until today. Reading through it is very interesting. I can feel how a traders mindset has changed to a mindset of hope rather than clear thinking.

FC please tell us that you arent really trading this for real £££££'s?

Take care,
Steve.

au contraire steve. I am, and it is to try to force me to stick to the system. in the past i would have given up.

at the moment, i am sticking to the rules as originally planned. I am not hoping for anything beyond what is reasonable to expect. all i am doing is accumulating and distributing units. it is just that for the last 2/3 weeks, the FTSE has gone pretty much in a straight line. just as the market has quiet periods, so it has times like these.

if i were to abandon discipline and method, then that would be a failure.

instead, i am pleased to have stuck to the plan thus far, and will continue to do so, confident that in the longer term i will remain a winner.

positive thinking gets you everywhere.

dozer- I am waiting to sell the top thisarvo-vol. is crazy at ±7% for calls.and puts! This is nuts-oil spiking up,lousy factory numbers in the US -looks like panic buhying has set in again

FTSE now at 5094, easily past its 52 week high - yet oil is rising, housing market has come to a standstill and retail sales are showing their lowest annual growth rate for 6 years. This seems crazy !!!!!!!

FetteredChinos said:
if i were to abandon discipline and method, then that would be a failure.

instead, i am pleased to have stuck to the plan thus far, and will continue to do so, confident that in the longer term i will remain a winner.

positive thinking gets you everywhere.

Wishing you all the best of luck FC but can't seem to get the image of the Captain of the Titanic out of my mind. I wonder if he saluted as the water reached his chin ?

Hi FC..

Well, fair play for posting the results etc even when they do appear pretty bad.

Whilst you say that you are following ‘your system’ in an attempt to improve your discipline doesn’t you system, to a good degree, break several of the ‘golden rules’ associated with trading? Cost averaging a losing position is generally regarded by most experienced traders as the number one ‘no no’.

As you have pointed out, the FTSE has trended of late. I wouldn’t say that it has trended in an extraordinary manner but it has clearly broken above several levels of previous resistance. Would this not be the time to be hedged (and safe)? (Talking in hindsight now of course!!).

As I see it, your basic system is designed to work well in the more frequent range bound markets. FTSE obviously spends a good deal of its time range bound and that has happened for several years. The problem is that any system designed for range bound markets normally gets caught out in a trending market and vice versa. On that basis you clearly need an extra set of rules which protect your capital against such a situation.
At the moment I would suggest that you are using a ‘range’ type system when there is in fact no range established.

From a mathematical point of view, are you not looking for a larger and larger pullback as time proceeds? In effect, the strength of your cost averaging is getting watered down as you add more and more positions.

I’m all for positive thinking but there has to be a limit.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not knocking you here (or your system), the market could quite possibly pull back to your ‘break even’ level but will it have been worth the risk when compare to the worst that could go on to happen?

Good luck,
Steve.

i see where you are coming from, and although i am cost averaging into a position, i am not doing it to try to close every trade at a profit. i am more than happy to exit at a loss when i get such a signal. as yet, i havent.

remember i do trade in fairly small size as it is, so im not too worried about it yet..

and i do have an extra set of rules (catastrophe stops at 500 pts away from each position)

im confident enough in the system, even though it is a cause for mild concern at the moment.

fc

right, not a great day at all. been calling the top for a week now, and it has thus far refused to budge.

had to do some silly manouevring before the futures expired this morning, swapping futs for cash until the close.

anyway, closed longs at 5077 for +88

took yet another bloomin short on the cash at 5077 too

longs:
shorts 14@ 4991 :eek:

closed profit: +251
open profit : (1204) (oh matron)

seems like months ago that the 1st short went on in the 4700s lol.. ah well.

have a good weekend all
FC

Fettered, Excellent choice (and timing) of a system designed to test your discipline!!! To help ease the mind there's a reasonable probability of the S&P falling on Monday following expiry week.

Thanks for being so honest about all the trades.

I know I don't post any comments, but I do keep an eye on what's happening.

Think after this week, you need a beer or two (or three) tonight.
Have a good weekend.

precisely. if it was rangebound with a few spikes as it tends to be, then i wouldnt have found it to be a problem. as it is, im pleased my resolve has held up so well, in spite of the obvious trend...

will probably need some resolve tomorrow, as it is getting close to beer o'clock

bit early today, but not been around much.

long on sept futures at 5090

longs: 1@5090
shorts 14@ 4991 :eek:

closed profit: +251
open profit : (1064) (oh matron)

up days are lengthy, down days are weak. ah well, still must trust the method until im convinced it doesnt work.

FC