Best Thread Live Cable Trading

We seem to be forming a reverse head & shoulders in the 60 min time frame. With the 12 Oct one shoulder 28 Nov the head, and now the second shoulder we are now forming could take us to around the 1.7500 figure and then up to 17800 17900 level. These head & shoulders patterns are appearing all the time in GBP/USD some break out and some just get to the neck line and stop.

We also have a elliot wave correction taking place now, we are presently in the 5th wave of the first wave down with a ABC up move next, then 5 waves down to 17500. We could also have just had a 4th wave correction of the big up move over the last couple of weeks, with the 5th up wave still to come this could take us to 1.78 to 1.79 level.So what I am really saying is we could go down to 17500 of up to 17800 to 17900.

Breadman

nice to see someone viewing the picture through different eyes.

breadman: is there a book or two that you would recommend for a EW beginner ?
( despite lots of help from other traders, I still cant see the waves )

dc2000 said:
Trendie

Do you have "The elliot wave principal" by frost and prechter

no. although that book is regarded as a classic, I believe.
I have mostly pdfs from helpful traders, etc.
the only Prechter book I have is "Fibonacci Trader", which refers to Fibs in the context of EW.

as an aside, is next week going to be slow as it is being week leading into Christmas ?
( only 3 more working days to go, then I am off for 2 months, so I wont be able to trade properly until next Monday.)

trendie said:
nice to see someone viewing the picture through different eyes.

breadman: is there a book or two that you would recommend for a EW beginner ?
( despite lots of help from other traders, I still cant see the waves )

Trendie,

I have never read a book regarding elliotwave but I do read articles on elliotwave.com.You can sign up to the EWI club for free,they teach you how to read patterns.

Breadman

In the late 1960 ' s there were a series of books and very detailed technical papers written by Bob Beckman, including Powertiming, Into the Upwave, The Downwave, from memory. He is now retired and lives in the South of France. All of his work is essential reading for aspiring Ellioticists.All of them are illustrated with charts. In his work he clearly explains the most demanding part of Elliot Wave Theory, namely extensions of extensions. The difficulty is that the topic is huge and has to be understood and absorbed all at once, or not at all.

thanks for the Bob beckman references, Socrates.
Not heard of him. His book Powertiming, is out of print from Global-Investor.
Will try to get my library to source it.

There is a simply brilliant Ellioticist in France who is a leading light at the Salon des Analyses Techniques and another guy in Belgium who is also an expert. Both of these have submitted papers on the subject, the first one in French and the second in Flemish. Regrettably translations are not available in English, although the first one kept promising to do it up till 3 years ago. His explanations of second leg exceptions with detailed cataloguing is simply superb. The other one included a very comprehensive ratio study which he showed me and was thinking of putting into a program, but I have no idea whether he completed the project or not.

SOCRATES said:
There is a simply brilliant Ellioticist in France who is a leading light at the Salon des Analyses Techniques and another guy in Belgium who is also an expert. Both of these have submitted papers on the subject, the first one in French and the second in Flemish. Regrettably translations are not available in English, although the first one kept promising to do it up till 3 years ago. His explanations of second leg exceptions with detailed cataloguing is simply superb. The other one included a very comprehensive ratio study which he showed me and was thinking of putting into a program, but I have no idea whether he completed the project or not.

Socrates,

Nice to see you in this thread... ;)

I have a little bit of time to say some things about the theories of Ralph Nelson Elliott.

He arrrived at a series of conclusions because he had been ill and was convalescing for 6 months I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong ) in a sanatorium. During this period he put his attention on the phenomenon of peridicity and wave structure that he spotted by studying price movements as published in the Wall Street Journal.

He noticed a familiar, almost subliminal concurrence of repetitions in price movements that he could only explain as if waves were regularly formed in series. He then proceeded to catalogue these and to identify them in order of magnitude, and when and where they apperared, repeatedly.

The greatest formations he called a grand super cycle and when he broke this down, contained within it, like Russian Dolls, he discovered cycles within cycles, too regular to be mere chance.

The whole idea is very complex and it is no use just toying about with it.

In order to make it meaningful for you, you have to study it in great detail from A to Z.

Only then can you become totally familiar with the whole theory and be able to commit it to memory and a level of familiarity in which you are able to identify what fits where and to what order of magnitude.

I say this because, in my view, the whole concept has to be assimilated and understood as an absolute complete agenda. Now, at the highest level of proficiency, it is sympathetic with all forms of market action, whether in a bull or bear phase.

You have to work at it very hard for it to work for you, so that you are able to identify wave counts at a glance, because it is no good dithering about and trying to force fit that which cannot be force fitted. What I mean by this is that wave identification and counting must be dead accurate and instant, second nature, if you like.

It is rather like learning to type, or to play a musical instrument. After a time, and effort, a complete series of waves can be identified in their proper order, sequence and magnitude. It is there not to be a sort of fixed formula but as an intelligent guide.

The best result is obtained by viewing waves subliminally, and not necessarily by detailed and exhaustive counting, as that is very mechanical and not reliable. When you become totally immersed and have finally mastered all of it, it becomes second nature, such that the next expected wave invairiably takes its proper place in the general scheme of things, such that you may not be aware consciously, but then find in a later post mortem of market action, the true valildity of his discovery.

What I mean by this is that I do not use / rely on Elliott Wave at all, but concede that outcomes that develop and which I anticipate via another separate route so often are in perfect harmony with the theory that it cannot be sheer chance or coincidence.

I do not use Elliott Wave to confirm my views, nor to predict future price development, I am only saying it is so very often in harmony with results as to be more than sheer coincidence.

I mean that skilled Ellioticists would not arrive at diverging conclusions when all the outcomes are examined as illustrated in a chart, regardless of time frame.

Last edited:
The Big Baruch :cheesy: train left station rigtht on time this morning - so far 40 nice pips. Did you jump on the train?

Baruch said:
The Big Baruch :cheesy: move started rigtht on time this morning - so far 40 nice pips. Did you jump on the train?

For the last time.... Big B is the range between 7 and 8 !!

Well done on the 40 pips.

Kaffee said:
For the last time.... Big B is the range between 7 and 8 !!

Well done on the 40 pips.

Maybe Big Ben is. But not Big Baruch. I just jump on the first move after 7.00 (with a tight stop). I don't have time to wait for a breakout of the range. Crazy idea? Maybe, but I don't care as long as it gives me pips... :cheesy:

Kaffee said:
Then the first move was down... so you were stopped out of the first move....

Down?! I am talking about cable, not swiss... ;)

PS. It's to late to jump on the train, when it has left the station...