Journal Take 2 - Chart Patterns

I'm holding bullish view above 1.2927 short term. In a trend, entering the ABCD Pattern can usually lead to a favorable reaction or good trend entry. Stop loss needs to have some breathing space, however can still be compressed (relative to many other stop loss placement choices). Using the patterns in automation on lower tick charts, the compression concept can be taken to an extreme

Ooof. Lots of volume on that last minute. TL broken. Now looking for deeper retracement levels.

EURUSD121.jpg

Now looking for a pullback to 1.2921, or a break above 1.2935 to resume buying. If the lower support breached, i'm looking for a lower retracement level about 1.2900

Following the currency strength meter, the first ABCD would not have been a trade. I lost a little bit more than my usual, overly ambitious on 3hrs sleep.

Current situation has another ABCD moving into projected support level. Strength meter still bearish EURUSD - so the safer play is to wait, clearly.

ABCDEURUSDii.jpg

So there are both M&W and ABCD Long Entry patterns at work in EURUSD, with the market's remaining support TL still in force above 1.2919 area. Looking for a continuation around 210, we'll see what the market does.

Declining through 1.2915 will make me wary of longs, await better evidence from momentum. Its totally possible for the breakout of the 4hr M12 to retrace all the way back to the point of breakout.. and then continue.

Moving? moving... i think so.. Now if its up from here, there are other releases today to be aware of, in just 20-40 minutes. hopefully they incite bullishness for the EUR. I'm using every component of my trading system other than the currency meter for confirmation - i'm allowed to supplant it with a Pattern-Price-Time setup. We'll see what happens. Targeting 1.3000 if longs are to work out. Trailing exit for any larger move on 1/2 position.

EUR strength line just closed bullish. Bulllish strength overall on EURJPY, not yet with EURUSD, USD still rising..

eurusdnow.jpg

real make or break time..

I'm standing aside if the TL goes. For me that means whole bars below the line

i think i may be too tired to do a good job on here guys. Good luck, watch out for a deeper retracement on EURUSD if that TL goes

Last edited:
Well EURUSD made it a little higher, then gave it all back.

The M7 on the 5m did have a tradable low for that swing.

--

Next week I'm going to focus more on the patterns and some backtests of strategy applications. I'll probably cut out most of my personal trading & related rant- because its really unrelated to how any of you would use these tools. I just wanted to establish that yes i'm a human being and yes i'm a trader and i risk real money out here with these tools. It'll honestly be easier for me to keep my head straight focusing on trading and my normal daily doings without trying to keep the thread updates going.

Next week I'll still post pattern and timing live setups, just no updates during the thing - instead it'll be just before and after.

Anyone who reads this, feel free to say what you like! Questions, comments, or concerns - let me know :)

I'll be posting historical examples - winners and losers - and more real time next week

Good Luck Out There - Visit the Site - Patterns & Forms | Objective Pattern Analysis – Chart Pattern Recognition Indicators – Pattern Trading

Ok, gotta update with this EURUSD situation.

4hr is currently showing a retrace to the breakout trendline. Fast too. There was timing at 910, next time target is 1140. There may be buying come in at that point.

Pattern has retraced 38%, so if the rate can get below 1.2826 - further downside instead as that would make a failure pattern. IF the rate bounces, then the original interpretation is likely in effect.

4hrnow.jpg

What a bear trend! Friggin ideal. Hope somebody faded me ;) Look out for 1140; somebody has a value zone down there, we saw it yesterday around 1.2840 Could get a V bottom. From the 9/27 1135 low to the 9/28 515 high, its retraced 78%.

Alternative the M12 on the 4hr could fail. Apologies for not being all over this move with alerts on the TL break, timing and other patterns (with the family this morning). There was a W5 pattern on the 1m, after the support line break, here's a look:

W5Euro.jpg

Folks - want to also clarify a couple things about Friday in EURUSD.

1) The market retraced back to the 4hr pattern breakout trend line
2) The current smaller pattern is bullish at the trend line
3) Results of my day system (with the trade i missed due to not making sure I had enough sleep) - that was the one to make my week, one of the ones anyhow

*its important to remember that pattern alone may only have 50-50 probability, however due to use of Multiple timeframes and reward to risk skewing, a profitable strategy can be crafted even from 50-50 odds

First, lets look at the Daily.

DailyEURUSDi.jpg

The bull run in EURUSD has yet to retrace even 38.2%, which I typically consider the minimum. That price is near 1.2735-1.2775. That indicates possible further downside short term in my mind.

There are two operative trend lines on the Daily 08/16- 09/05 Lows is TL2, and 08/05 - 08/16 is TL1.

Only if TL1 is broken would I give up on the possibility for a further upside trend. Price could consolidate into the second week of October if the rate can retrace to TL1 on the daily. If near the 38.2% minimum is actually achieved, which its not all the time, then I'll be looking for pattern at that point.

Now, on to the current LTF pattern situation..

Here is the 5m. Shows the 4hr Pattern A-C TL, broken to the upside, and more than fully retraced.

The day's trading did end with an M12 pattern, beginning at 1140 completing near session's close.

I have no idea what will happen next! Its possible that this pattern signals a so-called 'professional gap' and the rate continues lower - we'll see. The rate could move up from here. The sheer velocity of the drop from 910 EST on Friday - that says HTF players selling to me.. Very 'impulsive' price action - which Elliott Wave people tend to say is in line with the HTF trend (which would mean the trend is still down in EURUSD).. Looking at it, bear markets usually are faster, still though in EURUSD what took about 12hrs to build up from 9/27 was erased in about 1hr on 9/28. That's faster than the average bear, which i've read as 2-3X as fast as a bull swing. I don't have stats on this, just conjecture & observation.

4hrTL.jpg

So - my game plan is to give the 4hr pattern the benefit of the doubt for now, be quick to recognize that the EURUSD could drop to the Daily .382 near 1.2735 OR move up.. and follow my Day System whether up or down. There's the segue to my day system's missed trade..

the 1m pattern which I missed allowed the possibility for the following trade:

TradeResult -1m pattern.png

This is using a 10k USD account size, with $50 at risk for the entry, 1 pip spread and 1 pip slippage. Exact entry method is using a A-D retracement and a Trailing One Bar Sell Stop, which elects the trader into the position with a 5 pip stop loss.

Now - why would I have been looking to go short:

1) I already detailed that as my alternative scenario, a retrace back to the breakout TL from the 4hr pattern, so once the Support TL failed to hold, my Pattern+Price+Time setup failed, and the likely move was down

2) My daytrading trend system i've been talking about is based in 4 components:
- 15m Relative Strength currency meter giving trend conditions
- 5m Trend ID agreeing with RS
- Time Event
- Pattern for entry

I trail out, as i've said (which i need to adapt this to have more exit strategies, including % open profit lost stop out) - and i use the technical trailing exit for my exit as of now. I have an initial stop loss based on points beyond the pattern D point, which switches to the trailing exit as the trend goes.

-- Currency Strength

I use the Hawkeye Fatman Currency Meter - It is smooth, and i've found it to be reliable. Observe the EUR line at 700 closed down, with the USD line OB yet higher. I prefer to see the strengthening currency OS, however good trades can come from this configuration as well (both lines OB).
With EUR down, USD up, the trade had short side conditions from 700.

RS.jpg

-- Trend

Again, a product - i use Hawkeye Trend+Stops. I'm not affiliated with Hawkeye, I just use these two tools of theirs. There may be better tools out there - i'm happy and can make money with these. So i use these.

The 5m Trend ID was bearish from 615 - so once the Fatman was bearish EURUSD, and the Trend was bearish, and I had my time condition - which i had a target at 550, and the reaction from the 500 releases was also bearish - I now was required per my rules to begin entering on bearish patterns.

5mTrend.jpg

Following the conditions, on the 5m you can see some whipsaw near 830. Strategy would be short and holding to the D-point pattern stop loss, per the rules, during this whipsaw. New entries would not be allowed, not until the RS and Trend conditions returned following the 910 target.

----

So, you can see i missed a 6:1 trade clear with my daytrading system. Why? Too damn tired, i had 3.5 hrs sleep, definitely need 6-8.. 7hrs & coffee, i'm good! Possibly too much speaker hugging in my youth, i don't know.. I need my sleep, i know that. I essentially gave up trading on Friday at precisely the moment i needed to be most focused. My long bias had failed, and even though i had an alternatively game plan, i was unable to carry it out. i passed out on a couch pillow.

The great news, is that all these rules are objective. They can be automated. So, in the future - who knows - maybe I'll be able to catch ones like this even when sleeping.

We'll see what the market has in mind for EURUSD this next week. With the speed of that bear swing on Friday, i'd be subjectively biased down. I'll follow my day system, and also be taking some scalps as they show up. That's it i'm done - hope everyone has a great weekend

Day 6 of this journal - Good Morning All

EURUSD had an amateur gap instead, on my feed anyhow, and filled - M12 became an M7, which then failed. So the down push appears to be on - moving toward Daily minimum 38.2% retracement near 1.2740-1.2700 area. At least that's what i'm working with

There is a W5 in effect right now moving into the PMI Release

EURUSD5m10-01.jpg

The strength meter i follow is currently bullish EURUSD, moving into a position to turn bearish, Trend as of now will turn bearish on a strong close near or below 1.2815.

Beginning this week, once i've got 40 pips open profit, i'm implementing a 25% open profit lost stop loss on 1/2 position, using trailing or target for remaining.

Times are 0030, 230, 330, and 600 - basically change tends to happen then, which you gather if you've been following this thread. Coffee needed...