How To Think Correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys put some time in to this thread. Personally I think this thread is not correctly named. you should have called it."One needs a plan"

The successful trader must plan his work and work his plan. A trader who moves by guesswork, without practical, definite plans is comparable to a ship without a rudder sooner or later he will land on the rocks.

Keep it simple ;)

zupcon said:
There’s really no need to worry; both rudeboy and bulldozer will be back, as inevitably as night follows day, giving you yet further opportunity to benefit from their particular brand of wisdom.

Both have received temporary bans in the past and both continued to misbehave. Consequentially both have now received permanent bans, yet both continue to return using a never ending guise of alias’s, unsurprisingly their misbehaviour continues and the cycle continues.

regards
zup

One should note, however, that their posts are so over the top that only the severely clueless (no offense intended to the clueless of any sort) would treat them as anything other than a diversion -- entertaining to some -- from the trading day.

On the other hand, though I've had issues with the aptly-named rudeboy in the past, I thought some of his comments this go-round were dead-on.

Db

dbphoenix said:
And I was offended by your putdowns, etc, as well. So what? I didn't report you. I just started ignoring you. That's how life works. Otherwise, one spends one's life in court shouting the adult equivalent of "He's touching me!" or "He's looking at me!".

Db

I haven't reported anyone either and that's all fine, point made and taken. I agree that it would be like football players running to the referree trying to get yellow or red cards to be issued. The moderators make the rules and we abide by them. I suppose yellow cards may be considered part of the game but red cards ruin it for me.

However, I missed your point about court play in touching and looking... Freudian slip on your court play part I'd guess. Perhaps this self indulgence is the essence of this Psychology thread :LOL:

Shame we can't insert our feelings into all this court play stuff. :cheesy:

Zupcon
I thought your contributions despite being contrary to Orion69 were also excellent and spot on for me. In clash of great minds really great sparks were flying. I think you might miss O69 more than others perhaps.

Atilla said:
However, I missed your point about court play in touching and looking... Freudian slip on your court play part I'd guess.

No, sorry. Just an acknowledgement of much of what goes on in court these days and its roots in childish behavior.

Db

dbphoenix said:
One should note, however, that their posts are so over the top that only the severely clueless (no offense intended to the clueless of any sort) would treat them as anything other than a diversion -- entertaining to some -- from the trading day.

On the other hand, though I've had issues with the aptly-named rudeboy in the past, I thought some of his comments this go-round were dead-on.

Db

Well, I can assure you that I did not find what he said to me funny in the slightest, although, no doubt, he will be quite gleeful in knowing this. Perhaps, it has made his day, even. My post to him was a comment on respect, agreeing with him, actually. I did not expect to be attacked in that way and hope that he will be kept off the site, if at all possible.

This, as you may know, is a comment from someone quite capable of taking care of himself, but there are many thousands of members who do not post and are reading all this. Hopefully, they will start to post, one day, and their knowledge and opinions will be valuable to us.Not many of them will want to be involved in a vitriolic diatribe by someone who is likely to ridicule, in the most insulting manner, what is posted.

Split

Splitlink said:
...This, as you may know, is a comment from someone quite capable of taking care of himself, but there are many thousands of members who do not post and are reading all this. Hopefully, they will start to post, one day, and their knowledge and opinions will be valuable to us.Not many of them will want to be involved in a vitriolic diatribe by someone who is likely to ridicule, in the most insulting manner, what is posted.

Split
Above is edited

Their knowledge is useless since they do not have the backbone to comment. Still, they are the 95 and have their uses.

Rudeboy provoked thought and whilst I don't agree with remarks becoming personal, the boards will be the poorer without him & the others.

I have posted numerous comments about the inadvisability of censorship so won't bother repeating them here.

Let the posts become smothered in blandness for that seems to be what the 95 and The Thirty want.

A Happy New Year to you all.

starspacer

barjon said:
db

You do keep on singing this "deliberate inconsistency" song. Whatever you may think, we do try to be evenhanded. That's not to say we always get it right, but we do our best.

Mind you, it's true that we can only operate in accord with our own perceptions (although "reported posts" are a great help) as well as discussion between us and it's almost certain that there will be a different range of interpretations amongst 60,000 members.

It may surprise you that some members think we let you get away with far too much, but I guess you had a different "legend" in mind :)

All the best for 2007

jon
Its interesting that over time we are seeing more and more of the old ET db rising from his ashes.

Splitlink said:
Well, I can assure you that I did not find what he said to me funny in the slightest, although, no doubt, he will be quite gleeful in knowing this. Perhaps, it has made his day, even. My post to him was a comment on respect, agreeing with him, actually. I did not expect to be attacked in that way and hope that he will be kept off the site, if at all possible.

This, as you may know, is a comment from someone quite capable of taking care of himself, but there are many thousands of members who do not post and are reading all this. Hopefully, they will start to post, one day, and their knowledge and opinions will be valuable to us.Not many of them will want to be involved in a vitriolic diatribe by someone who is likely to ridicule, in the most insulting manner, what is posted.

Split

I understand. And I agree. However, the pat response is that the markets are a jungle and it's "survival of the fittest" (at least it is according to one of the "Wizard elite") and if you can't take care of yourself on a message board, you sure can't take care of yourself in the markets blah blah blah.

My point is that a message board habitue must accept the fact that no one is going to protect him. The members of ET learned this a long time ago. But, given that, he ought to be allowed to defend himself. Fair's fair. Granted, some of these slugs bait members intentionally, hoping to get them to say something that is so egregious that they run the risk of getting banned. But one must keep one's wits about him even when slinging pies.

Do these attacks prevent people from posting who might otherwise do so? Of course. One would have to be extremely naive to think otherwise. But unless moderators want to assume the role of mommy, threads that get derailed will have to be moved to a location where they don't remain at the top of the list on the home page day after day like some sort of Solid Gold Hit Parade leader. At the very least, they will attract less attention and will more likely escape the notice of new or relatively new members.

Db

dbphoenix said:
One should note, however, that their posts are so over the top that only the severely clueless (no offense intended to the clueless of any sort) would treat them as anything other than a diversion -- entertaining to some -- from the trading day. Db
And yet you are one of the biggest contributors to this thread. An interesting diversion perhaps? :cheesy:

starspacer said:
And yet you are one of the biggest contributors to this thread. An interesting diversion perhaps? :cheesy:

Moderately interesting. As far the quantity of my so-called contributions, you'll have to take that up with bertie. :)

Db

There should be some clear rules on banned members. something like a 10 day ban. if they do it again give them another 10 day ban,they soon get plssed off, but no life time bans. Then you wont get all these new screen name popping up. I don't agree with a life ban. you get less for murder. The way we are going only paper traders be left. Lets get them all back I say. I think members being banned, needs to be looked at and I think most would agree with me.

starspacer said:
Above is edited

Rudeboy provoked thought and whilst I don't agree with remarks becoming personal, the boards will be the poorer without him & the others.
]

We agree about making personal remarks, at least, which is what I am on about. Since he (Dr Price?) decided to make his issue personal with me I am glad to be the poorer without his presence. That kind of "thought provoking" poster cannot be answered in any rational way because all he wants is an excuse to insult in manner that makes any reply demeaning by the person targeted.

As db says, one can walk away or engage in stupid cross chat but I do not think that either are good solutions.

Split

Last edited:
laptop1 said:
There should be some clear rules on banned members. something like a 10 day ban. if they do it again give them another 10 day ban,they soon get plssed off, but no life time bans. Then you wont get all these new screen name popping up. I don't agree with a life ban. you get less for murder. The way we are going only paper traders be left. Lets get them all back I say. I think members being banned, needs to be looked at and I think most would agree with me.

laptop

Well they do start off getting a couple of temporary bans, but if it doesn't stop them when they return it becomes permanent. Unfortunately some just take no notice of warnings and temporary bans - more's the pity.

Judging from the feedback from members I doubt that most would agree with you, but I suppose opinion could be canvassed again if there are strong enough feelings around.

cheers

jon

barjon said:
laptop

Well they do start off getting a couple of temporary bans, but if it doesn't stop them when they return it becomes permanent. Unfortunately some just take no notice of warnings and temporary bans - more's the pity.

Judging from the feedback from members I doubt that most would agree with you, but I suppose opinion could be canvassed again if there are strong enough feelings around.

cheers

jon
Hi barjon

The only problem I have, is the life time ban.

13. Violations of these Rules T2W

13.1 Any breach of the above rules will result in the member being suspended for 7 days, although depending on the circumstances and at the moderators’ discretion, any action may be preceded by a warning.
13.2 Any further violation within 6 months will result in a permanent ban from the website.

From T2W rules above, Yes, you give them chances. but the problem is, a member can get a permanent ban very quick and what tends to happen is, the permanent banned members come back with new names, :rolleyes: it just makes them worse. :devilish: If I was in change of T2W I would do this.

1st offence 7 say Ban
2nd offence 14 days Ban
3rd offence 31 days Ban
If after 3 bans they make an offence again, you would keep the Ban to 31 days.

By doing this, you would know, who everyone is on T2W. with so many new members joining T2W I am sure 50% of them are past Members......Just a thought.

I bet to shut up now, before I get banned lol. :cheesy:

laptop1 said:
Hi barjon

The only problem I have, is the life time ban.

13. Violations of these Rules T2W

13.1 Any breach of the above rules will result in the member being suspended for 7 days, although depending on the circumstances and at the moderators’ discretion, any action may be preceded by a warning.
13.2 Any further violation within 6 months will result in a permanent ban from the website.

From T2W rules above, Yes, you give them chances. but the problem is, a member can get a permanent ban very quick and what tends to happen is, the permanent banned members come back with new names, :rolleyes: it just makes them worse. :devilish: If I was in change of T2W I would do this.

1st offence 7 say Ban
2nd offence 14 days Ban
3rd offence 31 days Ban
If after 3 bans they make an offence again, you would keep the Ban to 31 days.

By doing this, you would know, who everyone is on T2W. with so many new members joining T2W I am sure 50% of them are past Members......Just a thought.

I bet to shut up now, before I get banned lol. :cheesy:

Not a bad idea, laptop. But, again, none of this has anything to do with behavior. Orion69 and DrPrice were banned for using aliases, not for anything they posted. Banning people for using aliases is straightforward, which is not the case with behavior.

As far as canvassing the members is concerned, so few people participate in these things, the results are statistically meaningless. You may remember that all of this was discussed at length a year ago: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showthread.php?p=223804

Db

barjon said:
laptop

cheers

jon

Perhaps we could create a new type of ban, which is only applicable to a specific thread. The "banned" member would then no longer have access to post in a specific thread (he could still read the thread) because he/she has blatantly shown his/her sole purpose is to distort the thread instead of offering something constructive. That way moderators would not have to wait until a member uses offensive language or aliases to ban somebody.... Just some thoughts... it obviously still leaves a discretionary factor to determine where the line lies between healthy conversation and obnoxious disturbing behaviour...

Happy New Year

Well, I see you guys have been busy over the holidays.

Happy New Year to all and looking forward to some interesting discussion in 2007.

Regards,

And Happy New Year to you CYOF & good to see you back.

Mods, please stop banning people for 'controversial' opinions/putting views across in a forthright manner. Do you want us to be like China??

For Barjon: My views on the other thread 'how to think incorrectly' were valid yet you still delete all, despite it having been certain other members who started to slag me off. My later posts were highlighting the childish manner of chump, none were explicitly personal. I fear you bowed to (no doubt) robust peer pressure. Stand strong man and use your 'power' more judiciously.

I wish everyone a successful 2007. May your dreams come true as they have for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.