Forex research

US Opening Call from Alpari UK on 22 May 2013

US futures flat ahead of Bernanke testimony

Today’s US opening call provides an update on:

* All eyes on Bernanke this afternoon;
* FOMC meeting minutes attract attention this evening;
* MPC vote remains at 6-3 against more QE in May;
* UK retail sales data disappoint in April.

US futures are pointing to a flat open on Wednesday, ahead of a closely watched Bernanke speech and the release of the Fed minutes from earlier this month.

There has been a lot of confusion in the markets recently about when the Fed will begin to phase out its asset purchase program. This hasn’t been helped by mixed comments members of the Fed, some of which have suggested a plan is being put in place to phase it out starting this summer, while others have suggested no such plan exists, and purchases will continue as they are until we see further improvement in the economy.

Clearly both of these can’t be true, which is why we’re seeing little direction ahead of Bernanke’s speech later. When you’re getting mixed messages from other members of the Fed, you can always rely on Bernanke to drop a pretty clear hint about what to expect next. So far, Bernanke has remained pretty dovish, which is what I expect more of today. However, any hawkish undertones from Bernanke could spark some panic in the markets.

I think it’s pretty clear at this stage that the main reason for the rally in the stock markets this year, that has seen both the Dow and the S&P hit all time highs, has been the large amounts of liquidity that has flooded the financial markets, in the form of QE3. The first clear sign that the Fed is prepared to scale back its purchases from the current level of $85 billion per month, will surely mark the end of the rally and the beginning of the long overdue correction.

It’s no wonder then that there’s a cautious tone in the markets ahead of Ben Bernanke’s speech and the release of the minutes from earlier this month. The minutes could provide additional clues as to when we can expect to see the Fed taper its purchases, with some members clearly becoming concerned about the costs and risks associated with such aggressive monetary policy.

They’re not the only ones concerned about the risks of ultra-loose monetary policy. I think it’s safe to say that there will be no increase in the asset purchase facility at the next Bank of England meeting in June, after the minutes from the May meeting showed that Sir Mervyn King failed once again to convince even one more policy maker to vote in favour of additional stimulus.

In the past, King has not had anywhere near as much trouble convincing the other policy makers to increase the asset purchase facility. Either the BoE Governor is losing his touch, or the other policy makers have lost interest with the same old response to the flat economy, and are waiting for Mark Carney to offer an alternative when he takes over as BoE Governor in July. Whatever the reason, it seems King will not get his way this time around.

Carney’s first meeting in July should be extremely interesting though. The UK economy is once again showing signs of weakness, with retail sales in April falling by 1.3% against expectations of flat growth. At the same time, inflation fell significantly in the same month, to 2.4%, down from 2.8% in March. The only question now is whether Carney will do a better job of getting the other policy makers on his side, than his predecessor has managed recently. Carney’s vote after all, is only one of nine, so he is still reliant on other policy makers to get his ideas through.

Looking ahead to the rest of today and the focus is likely to shift to the US, starting with the release of existing home sales, which are expected to show an increase of 1.5% in April. This comes following a 0.6% drop in March which may prove to be just a temporary blip in an otherwise strong recovery in the US housing market. Bernanke will then testify before the Congressional Joint Committee at 3pm EST, before the release of the Fed minutes from April at 9pm.

Ahead of the open we expect to see...

Read the full report at Alpari News Room

Does Alpari have a legal agreement and strategic partnership with Jagero Ltd, an unregulated company that has been offering managed forex accounts to the public?

Q. Are you regulated by FSA or another organisation?
A. JageroFX is not a broker dealer or investment advisor and is therefore not required to register with the FSA. We create and manage the algorithmic software and have legal agreement and strategic partnership with the FSA registered global broker Alpari. We are however in the process of FSA appointed representation for extra client security.

Does Alpari have a legal agreement and strategic partnership with Jagero Ltd, an unregulated company that has been offering managed forex accounts to the public?

Did we not address this matter earlier?

Hi pboyles,

Alpari (UK) Ltd doesn’t support any unauthorised party carrying out regulated activities. Should we find this is to be the case with any partner, we will terminate our relationship with them.

Alex

________
Alexander Chadwick
Alpari (UK) Representative

I am asking the following specific questions,

1. Do you have a legal agreement and strategic partnership with this unregulated entity?

2. If not what are you doing about having them withdraw their claims.

3. On another point what are your legal obligations when you become aware that a customer/partner is acting illegally?

4. Why are you being evasive on this matter?

5. Why have you not taken any action to date?

I am asking the following specific questions,

1. Do you have a legal agreement and strategic partnership with this unregulated entity?

2. If not what are you doing about having them withdraw their claims.

3. On another point what are your legal obligations when you become aware that a customer/partner is acting illegally?

4. Why are you being evasive on this matter?

5. Why have you not taken any action to date?

I'm happy to help however, I can't usefully add anything to whatever I've already told you.

Alex

________
Alexander Chadwick
Alpari (UK) Representative

UK Opening Call from Alpari UK on 23 May 2013

Eurozone PMIs and UK GDP in focus on Thursday

Today's UK opening call will provide an update on:

• Chinese manufacturing falls back into contraction territory for the first time since September;
• Eurozone manufacturing and services PMIs in focus on Thursday;
• UK first quarter GDP figure potentially facing downward revision;
• Strong US data could mark an end to the rally in the stock markets.

European stock indices are expected to open more than 1% lower this morning, after data showed China's manufacturing sector fell into contraction territory in May, following months of slowing growth.

The HSBC manufacturing PMI released over night came in well below expectations at 49.6, raising further doubts about the recovery seen in China over the last six months. Falling demand in the eurozone and the US is clearly having a major impact on Chinese exports, which is in turn, weighing on the manufacturing sector. The figure is also going to raise doubts about whether domestic demand can take up the slack from the rapidly falling external demand for Chinese exports. Recent data suggests it can't, which is a big worry for Chinese growth going forward.

A lot of attention will now be paid to the flash manufacturing and services PMIs out of the eurozone this morning. These figures have been extremely disappointing for quite a while now and are showing little sign of improvement.
We're expecting only a marginal improvement in these figures in May, which is likely to lead for further calls for a rate cut from the ECB next month. All except the German services PMI are expected to remain deep in contraction territory, leaving little chance of growth in the near future.

The eurozone consumer confidence figure for May isn't going to be much better. We're expecting another slight improvement here, to -21.8, but this is still well below the level that separates optimism from pessimism. It's no surprise though that this figure is so deep into negative territory, given the incredibly high levels of unemployment in the euro area, not to mention the fact that many countries are stuck in a deep recession.

The first revision of the UK Q1 GDP figure will be watched closely this morning, after the initial estimate caught the markets off-guard last month, coming in well above expectations. Forecasts were originally for marginal growth at best, and given the other data seen in the first quarter, I wouldn't be surprised to see this figure revised lower this morning.

In the US there's a large amount of data out on Thursday, which should create some volatility in the markets. Especially now that the Fed is considering scaling back its purchases, potentially over the next few months, as confirmed by Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke yesterday.

The interesting thing on Thursday will be the reaction to the data on the markets. What we could now see, following Bernanke's comments yesterday, is positive data weighing on stocks and poor data contributing to the rally. If we continue to see an improvement in the weeks ahead, this could mark the end of the rally.

US weekly jobless claims are expected to fall back below 350,000 today, following a spike in the figure last week which saw it hit 360,000. If the figure does fall back below 350,000 today, it would suggest that last weeks' figure was just a blip in the data. We could also see a downward revision to the figure which would suggest that the labour market is still holding strong.

The reaction to this figure will be the first test of how investors are likely to react in the coming months. If we see a figure below 350,000, accompanied by a downward revision to last weeks' number, it would point to an ongoing improvement in the labour market, which could therefore prompt a sell-off in equity markets and buying in the dollar.

Another miss could suggest that we are seeing weakness once again in the labour market and companies are not as optimistic as first thought, and are therefore starting to lay people off. However, this could help push stocks higher as it would suggest that we haven't seen the permanent improvement in the labour market that the Fed is looking for before it begins tapering its asset purchases.

Finally today, we also have the US manufacturing PMI for May, which is expected to have fallen to 51.8. This figure has been gradually falling since the start of the year and is getting dangerously close to the 50 level that separates growth from contraction. On a brighter note, housing data is expected to remain strong in April, with new home sales rising to 425,000, up around 8,000 from the month before.

EURUSD

We saw some huge moves in this pair yesterday, particularly during Ben Bernanke’s testimony, when he first suggested that the Fed would continue with the current level of asset purchases, before confirming they could be tapered in the next few months. Bernanke aside, we saw a great example yesterday of the huge role that technicals play in all of this, with the pair bouncing off the 50 fib level, almost exactly to the pip, before crashing back to trade below 1.2850. The 50 fib level was always going to be a major resistance level, with 1.30 being a key psychological level for the pair, but also the fact that on that daily chart, it coincided with where the 200-day SMA crosses the middle bollinger band. We should now see another assault on the neckline of the head and shoulders on the weekly chart, around 1.28. A break below here would be extremely bearish for the pair, prompting a move back towards 1.18, based on the size of the formation.
timthumb.php

GBPUSD

We saw dollar gains across the board yesterday, including in the cable pair, although this did find strong support just above 1.50, a key resistance area. As highlighted yesterday, this is going to be a major support level for the pair. If this level is broken, it should prompt a move back towards this years’ lows of 1.4830, with the next target after that being 1.44. With the Fed now threatening to pull the plug on QE, I only see the dollar getting stronger in the longer term. As a result, I’m even more bearish on this pair than I was before. We’re seeing a little bit of consolidation at the moment around that 1.50 level, however I don’t expect it to hold for long. The consolidation could lead to a flag formation, but in my view that will only delay the inevitable break of this level. If we do see a break in this level, then the pair should find support below here around 1.4980, 1.4940 and 1.49.
timthumb.php

USDJPY

Yesterday’s rally in the dollar saw the pair make further strides in its move towards the next major target of 105.57, the 61.8 fib level of the move from June 2007 highs to October 2011 lows. The initial target of 103.75, a previous level of support, was hit yesterday and is now providing strong resistance for the pair. Now we’re seeing a retracement, which could see the pair come back to test that key 100 level as a new area of support. The fib levels, particularly the 50 and 61.8 levels, tend to give a good indication of where the pair will pull back to and as you can see on the 4-hour charts, 100 falls between these two levels. Before we see that though, we’ll need to see a close below 102, a previous level of support and resistance, which is currently providing support for the pair. Below here the pair should find additional support between 101.25, a previous level of support, and 101.15, the 38.2 fib level.
timthumb.php

UK Opening Call from Alpari UK on 24 May 2013

Europe to open higher as calm returns to the markets

Today’s UK opening call provides an update on:

• Nikkei stocks trade higher early in Asian session as dust settles on the events of the last 24 hours;
• Calm returns to US markets as traders look to buy the dip;
• German data in focus this morning, ahead of Weidmann speech later;
• US durable goods orders watched closely later.

A sense of calm returned to the markets over night, as the Nikkei pared some of its huge losses from the night before, and US indices ended the session only slightly in the red after trading well into negative territory shortly after the opening bell on Thursday.

We appear to be seeing the calm after the storm so far on Friday, with Asian markets returning somewhat to normality, and equity futures pointing to a slightly higher start in Europe. It’s not surprising to see the Nikkei make solid gains over night, after losing 7.3% the night before.

Usually these sell-offs are overdone due to a combination of people’s stops being hit, traders liquidating their positions to cover losses made elsewhere, for example in this case as a result of the volatility in JGBs, as well as a number of other reasons. What’s going to be interesting now is whether the rally will continue in the coming weeks once this is put behind us. I see no reason why it won’t, as long as the Bank of Japan continue to flood the markets with liquidity.

The same goes for the rally in the US. US stocks recovered a lot of their losses during the afternoon session on Thursday, after opening much lower earlier in the day. Once the dust settled on the events of the last 24 hours, it became very apparent that even if the Fed begins to taper this summer, they will still be injecting huge amounts of liquidity into the financial system. And that is a big if, a phasing out of asset purchases is in no way a guarantee. We may see a lot more caution from traders over the coming months, with many more small corrections than we’ve become accustomed to recently, but I still think this rally has some way to go yet.

In terms of economic data, we have a quiet day ahead of us. The focus will be on Germany this morning, starting with the release of the first revision of the Q1 GDP figure. This is expected to be unchanged, with the eurozone’s strongest economy narrowly avoiding recession with 0.1% growth. At the same time, we have the release of the Gfk consumer confidence survey, which is expected to remain at 6.2, following a gradual increase since the start of the year.

This will be followed later on this morning by the release of the Ifo business climate figure for May, which is expected to show a slight improvement on last month, although companies are clearly still very uncertain about the outlook for this year. Finally we’ll hear from Bundesbank head Jens Weidmann, who is also thought of as the most hawkish member of the ECB board. Today, people will be looking for another clear hint over whether we’ll see more rate cuts at the meeting next month.

Finally, over in the US, we have durable goods orders data for April. This is generally seen as a reliable indicator of how the economy is performing so a lot of attention is paid to it. Last month we saw a surprising 5.7% fall here, which was later revised down to -6.9%. These figures can be volatile though so I don’t think that’s a major concern at this stage. In April, we’re expecting a slight improvement of 1.5%, although this number does have a tendency to surprise on the upside so I wouldn’t be surprised to see this come out above market expectations.

EURUSD

We may have seen a rally in this pair on Thursday, but I’m yet to see anything to change my bearish outlook. In order for this to change, I’ll need to see a significant break above 1.30, a huge resistance level for a number of reasons. Firstly we have the 50 fib level, which the pair bounced perfectly off on Wednesday, which suggests there was a large number of profit taking and sell orders at this level. Around this level we also have both the 50 and 200-day SMAs, a break above which would be extremely bullish for the pair. Finally we have the middle bollinger band on the daily chart, which has also previous acted as a key support and resistance level. This morning the pair appears intent on pushing higher again so we could see another test of this major level. For this to happen though, we’ll need to see it break above 1.2955, a previous support turned resistance. Another failure to break above 1.30 would be quite bearish for the pair. If it does break above here, then it could mark the start of the next uptrend, with the next target being the upper end of the range it traded in last month, around 1.32.
timthumb.php

GBPUSD

Sterling is trading back around 1.51 against the dollar this morning, after finding support around 1.50 yesterday. The pair is continuing to look bearish for me, especially after it found resistance from the 61.8 fib level that it broke below on Wednesday, following a brief move higher. The middle bollinger band also provided additional resistance, which suggests we’re going to see another push to the downside. While the middle bollinger band hasn’t been the best level of support and resistance in the past on the 4-hour chart, I think it’s clear on this occasion that traders are treating this as a key resistance level. I think the next target for the pair is this years’ lows around 1.4830, however there is clear support around 1.50 still. If we see it break below 1.50, then we could see quite a rapid move towards this years’ lows.
timthumb.php

USDJPY

We’ve seen a lot of volatility in this pair over night, with the pair once again finding support around 101.15, the 38.2 fib level. Another pull back was always on the cards for the pair, given the pace of the rally over the last month or so. I personally still think there’s more of a pull back to come, with the 100 handle being the most likely target. This falls between the 50 and 61.8 fib levels, which are usually worth keeping an eye on when we’re seeing a retracement like this. The move from 100 to 101 was extremely aggressive, so we could see a similarly aggressive move back to 100 once the current support level is broken. I will be very surprised to see the 100 level broke though, as I expect a lot of traders will take profits on their short positions here, while others will use this level as an opportunity to go long again. I remain bullish in this pair, with the next target being 105.57, although the move higher is likely to be a much slower one than we’ve become accustomed to.
timthumb.php

UK Opening Call from Alpari UK on 28 May 2013

FTSE to open higher after bank holiday weekend

• European markets to open higher on Tuesday;
• Volatility continues in Japan, as yield tug of war continues between BoJ and investors;
• US consumer confidence expected to hit 2013 highs in May;
• Investor sentiment remains fragile following Bernanke’s sucker punch last week.

We’re expecting a brighter start in Europe, with the FTSE, CAC and DAX futures all pointing to a higher open. This comes after the Nikkei posted more than 1% gains over night following a poor start to the week.

We’re continuing to see large amounts of volatility in Asia, particularly Japan, as the tug of war continues between the Bank of Japan, who want to buy huge amounts of debt and drive the yield lower, and investors, who want a larger return to compensate for the rising inflation expected in the next couple of years. So far neither has the upper hand, however we are seeing huge amounts of volatility as a result.

It’s going to be a relatively quiet start to the week again, in terms of economic data, with the calendar yesterday literally empty as the UK and US markets were closed for bank holiday. Both reopen again on Tuesday, however things aren’t likely to pick up much. Consumer confidence surveys for the US are expected to attract some attention this week, starting this afternoon with the release of the CB consumer confidence figure.

This is expected to jump to 2013 highs of 70.7, with consumers remaining upbeat after escaping both the fiscal cliff and the sequester relatively unscathed. This has been helped massively by a drop in energy prices this year which means consumers never did feel the full impact of the increase in the payroll tax in January. With oil prices on the rise again over the past month or so, we could see these consumer confidence numbers hit in the coming months.

Consumers aside, it’s likely to be another quiet day on Tuesday, with sentiment being largely driven by what happened in Asia over night, and any comments from the Federal Reserve about the prospect for monetary tightening in the coming months. Bernanke’s comments last week that we could see asset purchases phased out, starting this summer, dealt a real blow to the rally in the equity markets.

It’s a blow I expect them to recover from in the short term, at least until the Fed announce the first reduction in purchases, whenever that will come. That said, investor sentiment will struggle to recover properly from that one and any continuation of the rally is likely to be accompanied by a lot of caution, with investors now nervous about when the dreaded announcement, or hint, will come.

EURUSD

The euro has remained bearish this week, after finding strong resistance again on Friday around 1.30, a major resistance level. The pair once again rebounded aggressively off the 50 fib level, highlighting the fact that there are huge amount of sell orders here, while plenty of long traders are clearly using this level to lock in profits. Around this level we also have the middle bollinger band, which the price action also rebounded off, and the 50 and 200-day SMAs. This is also a previous level of support and resistance so it’s going to take a big push to break it. For now though, it looks as though the pair is going to continue to push lower, with the next target being May’s lows around 1.2795, which is also the neckline of the major head and shoulders on the weekly chart. Along the way, the pair should find support around 1.29 and 1.2840.
timthumb.php

GBPUSD

Sterling is continuing to look bearish against the dollar, despite actually trading higher on the day. The pair found resistance yesterday around the 50 fib level on the 4-hour chart, which suggests that for now, at least, the market remains quite bearish. We could also be seeing a head and shoulders forming on the same chart, with the neckline around 1.5075. If this is the case, then the pair should find resistance today around 1.5125, before falling back towards the neckline. A break of the neckline should prompt a move towards 1.50, based on the size of the formation.
timthumb.php

USDJPY

We’re seeing further weakness in the yen this morning, following three consecutive winning sessions against the greenback. The pair found support on Friday, where the middle bollinger band crosses the 50 fib level. Since then, the middle bollinger band has continued to provide support for the pair, which now looks very bullish once again. Yesterday’s doji candle tends to signal a reversal in the trend, which had been bearish until that point. If today’s candle can close around the levels it’s currently trading at, or higher, it would create a morning star on the daily chart, which again is very bullish. On the 4-hour chart, the pair has also broken back above the middle bollinger band which is a bullish signal. If the pair can break above 1.52 now, it should prompt a move back towards last weeks’ highs around 103.72, although it should find further resistance first around 102.20, the 50-period SMA on the 4-hour chart and a previous level of support.
timthumb.php

US Opening Call from Alpari UK on 28 May 2013

US consumer confidence in focus on Tuesday

• European stocks track Asian counterparts higher;
  • Investors beginning to buy the dip in Japanese equities;
  • French consumer confidence plummets again in May;
  • US consumer confidence expected to hit 2013 high, although it may be deceiving.

Investor sentiment is on the rise in Europe this morning, with stock indices following in the footsteps of their Asian counterparts over night, which recovered early losses to end the session higher.

A weaker yen helped push the Nikkei into the green over night, after the Japanese index dropped temporarily below 14000 for the first time since 7 May. The gains represent the first positive day in the Nikkei since it fell by 7.3% last Thursday.

Now that the dust is beginning to settle, we could be seeing traders take advantage of the dip in the market to buy on the cheap. Given that the Bank of Japans massive bond buying program is only just getting under way, I think this will be the case.

The improved investor sentiment has carried over into Europe this morning, with little else providing direction. The only economic release in Europe this morning has been the French consumer confidence figure which plummeted even further in May to 79, well below expectations on 85. The figure clearly highlights the dire state of affairs in the country, which recently fell into a triple dip recession.

Later in the US, the focus is going to be on the release of the May consumer confidence figure, which is expected to hit 2013 highs of 71.0. While this may prompt a positive reaction in the markets, I don’t think too many people will be getting carried away with the data, given that consumers are yet to feel the full impact of the increase in the payroll tax, which came into play at the start of the year.

The drop in energy prices this year has helped to cushion the blow so far, which essentially flatters figures such as these. Unfortunately, we can’t rely on these prices to continue to drop and in fact, oil prices are already on the rise again. I expect this to have an impact on consumer sentiment in the months ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Daily Market Update - 28 May 2013 - Alpari UK

0:10 Japanese markets volatile after BoJ minutes
1:47 S&P500 expected to open higher
2:05 Markets increasingly fragile after Ben Bernanke comments
2:28 European Commission expected to move towards growth tomorrow
3:26 US consumer confidence figure has potential to push S&P500 to record high

Daily Market Update - 28 May 2013 - Alpari UK - YouTube

UK Opening Call from Alpari UK on 29 May 2013

German unemployment and inflation data in focus

• European equity futures point to a lower open on Wednesday;
• Rally struggling to gather momentum following Bernanke comments last week;
• German unemployment and inflation data watched closely today;
• UK consumer spending expected to pick up in May.

Stock markets are struggling to gather any momentum this week, as European equity futures point to a lower open following quite a strong showing on Tuesday.

The rally in the equity markets appears to have temporarily grinded to a halt, following the comments from Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke last week, when he suggested that the $85 billion of asset purchases could begin to be phased out as early as this summer. There was a chance that investors could have used the pull back as an opportunity to buy the dip, as they have so often recently, however it seems these words of warning from Bernanke has well and truly hit home.
It also goes some way to confirm that the rally to this point has been largely driven by the huge amounts of stimulus being poured into financial markets since late last year. The fact that investors are less inclined to buy the dip suggests they were only doing so under the assumption that the Fed would continue with its asset purchase program, as it is now, until the end of the year. Now that this appears to have gone out of the window, the buy the dip mentality looks to have gone with it.

The economic calendar is looking a little light again on Wednesday, although Germany will attract some attention as May unemployment and inflation figures are released. At 6.9% since September, German unemployment has remained exceptionally low under the circumstances. Especially when compared that of the eurozone as a whole, which currently stands at 12.1%, or countries like Greece and Spain, where unemployment is above one in four.
We are expecting a third consecutive rise in the number of unemployed though, of 5,000, although this is only marginal so is not expected to have any impact on the unemployment rate, which is expected to remain at 6.9%.

After lunch, we then have the release of the CPI figure out of Germany. Following the ECBs decision to cut interest rates last month, and the threat of further monetary loosening in the months to come, any inflation data out of the eurozone is going to be watched closely for further signs of disinflation. Germany's CPI figure has been well below the 2% target for months now, although we are expected a small increase in May, to 1.3%, the first rise in the figure since January.
While 1.3% is still well below the ECBs inflation target of below, but close to, 2%, this could suggest to the markets that we're not going to see any further action at the next meeting in June. The fact that the inflation figure is on the rise is likely to convince the ECB to act with caution at the next meeting and leave rates as they are. Especially if we see a similar reaction in the eurozone CPI figure on Friday.

In the UK, the CBI realized sales for May will be released. This is expected to rise to 3, following its surprising drop into negative territory last month. Given the importance of consumer spending to the UK, any surprise here should prompt a reaction in the markets, especially following the poor retail sales data seen in April. Another poor figure here wouldn't bode well for the second quarter growth figure.

US Opening Call from Alpari UK on 29 May 2013

Growth revisions and German data weigh on sentiment

* Investor confidence fragile after Bernanke comments last week;
* Only a matter of time until investors call Bernanke’s bluff;
* German unemployment data falls short of expectations;
*OECD and IMF revise Chinese and world growth forecasts lower.

Improved investor sentiment following the release of strong US consumer data yesterday has quickly worn off, with European stock indices all trading in the red on Wednesday and US futures pointing to a similar open.

Ben Bernanke’s comments last week, when he hinted at monetary tightening in the next few months, have clearly knocked investor confidence. Over the last few weeks, investors had been buying into any dip in order to grab a bargain, before indices went on to hit new record highs on almost a daily basis.

Now that there’s no guarantee that Bernanke will support the rally in the long term, investors aren’t so keen to buy into something that has no fundamental support. Although, that could have been the intention on Bernanke’s comments last week.

By verbally intervening in the markets, he has essentially prevented equities reaching even more unsustainable levels, at least in the short term. It’s only a matter of time though until investors call his bluff and continue to buy the dips, although they are likely to be a lot more cautious about it now.

Economic data out of the eurozone this morning hasn’t helped sentiment, with German unemployment rising by 21,000 in May, far higher than the 5,000 forecast, and the biggest increase since April 2009. The unemployment rate remained at 6.9% though, which by comparison the eurozone, at 12.1%, and the likes of Greece and Spain, at more than 25%, is not a concern.

Sentiment has also been hit this morning by news of lowered growth revisions from both the IMF and the OECD. The IMF lowered China’s growth forecasts from 8% in 2013 and 8.2% in 2014, to 7.75% in both, while the OECS lowered its global growth forecast from 3.4% to 3.1%, a significant reduction which clearly takes into consideration slower growth expectations in both the US and China.

The revisions hardly come as a surprise though given that the data out of China has been well below par recently, while any positive data has been heavily questioned by analysts for its validity. To be honest, I would be very surprised if we don’t see further revisions from both the IMF and OECD this year. Especially when you consider the fact that Chinese forecasts are still above its government target of 7.5% this year, which is even starting to look a little optimistic.

Daily Market Update - 29 May 2013 - Alpari UK

0:10 OECD economic growth forecasts lead markets lower
1:38 IMF cuts Chinese growth forecast
2:09 EC country recommendations expected to bring negative outlook
3:29 Canadian interest rate decision
3:50 US GDP revision

Daily Market Update - 29 May 2013 - Alpari UK - YouTube

UK Opening Call from Alpari UK on 30 May 2013

European equities shake off overnight losses in Asia

• US and Asian stocks fall on global growth concerns;
• Eurozone confidence data expected to improve marginally in May;
• Italy to auction five and 10-year debt this morning;
• Focus in the US on GDP, jobless claims and housing data.

Concerns about global growth, after the OECD and the IMF revised their growth forecasts lower, and central banks’ exit strategies from quantitative easing weighed on equity markets in the US and Asia over night.

On Wednesday, the OECD warned that global economic growth over the next couple of years was going to be much lower than previously thought. They also warned about the potential negative impact, on governments, of central banks exiting from their quantitative easing programs. To make things worse, the IMF downgraded its growth forecasts for China, the country many hoped would help drive the global recovery this year. Investors appear ready to shake all this off though ahead of the equity open in Europe, with index futures currently pointing to a slightly higher open on Thursday.

Confidence in the eurozone has been at a major low over the couple of years, with the constant threat of collapse, deepening recessions and rising unemployment leaving consumers and businesses with very little to be optimistic about. We've seen a slight improvement here though since the start of the year, however it's still well below the levels required for growth to return to the region.

The rate cut from the ECB earlier this month is unlikely to have had an impact on confidence in the eurozone yet, and probably never will. It's going to take a lot more than a rate cut to improve lending in the eurozone and provide a boost to the economy, especially in the periphery. Until we see the real issues dealt with, neither businesses or consumers are going to feel the benefit. As a result, only a small improvement is expected in the eurozone confidence figures again in May.

Italian yields have fallen significantly since the start of the year, and at the last auction of 10-year debt, fell below 4% for the first time since October 2010. Governments in the periphery have benefited greatly from the huge amounts of liquidity being flooded into the financial markets by central banks. With equity markets at record highs, investors have been searching for higher yields, and with Draghi's promise last year to do whatever it takes to save the euro significantly reducing the risk of default, they have naturally targeted peripheral bonds. As a result, we could see Italian yields fall again at the auction of five and 10-year this morning, while demand should remain strong.

Spanish first quarter GDP is expected to remain unchanged at 0.5%, when the first revision is released this morning. This leaves the country stuck in a deep recession and likely to stay there for at least the rest of the year, if not throughout most of 2014 as well.

There's plenty of economic data out of the US on Thursday, starting with the release of the first quarter GDP figure. Market expectations are for growth of 2.5%, on an annualised basis, in the first quarter. I don't see there being any surprises to the downside here, given the significant improvement seen in the economic data in the first quarter, in everything from housing data to consumer confidence and employment.

We also have the release of the weekly jobless claims this afternoon, which have been consistently below 350,000 for months now. Another figure below this level will be a very positive sign for the labour market in the US, although with the Fed threatening to pull the plug on its QE3 program, not necessarily a good thing for the rally in the equity markets. As a result, we could see a negative reaction to any figure significantly below market expectations of 340,000.

Finally we have pending home sales out of the US. An increase of 1.1% is expected in April, which will represent a rise of 12.6% compared to a year ago.

US Opening Call from Alpari UK on 30 May 2013

Investors risk averse ahead of US economic data

* European markets mixed ahead of major US economic data;
* Nikkei plummets again over night, losses may be temporary though;
* US GDP and jobless claims in focus today.

It’s been a mixed start to the European session this morning, following another major sell-off in Japanese stocks over night.

The Nikkei ended the session down more than 5% on Thursday, after the yen made further advances against the other major currencies. We’ve seen a strong inverse correlation between the yen and the Nikkei in recent months, with Japanese stocks receiving a boost from the weaker yen due to the improvement it brings in exports.

With the yen closing in on a major support level against the greenback, I think this period of weakness in Japanese stocks may be coming to an end. There is other factors contributing to the recent weakness in the Nikkei, such as the volatility in JGBs, which will continue to cap the rally.

Over the last couple of weeks, the negativity in Asia has followed through to the European session, but we’re not seeing this today. Instead we’re essentially seeing investors sit on the sidelines and see how things play out. Investors are clearly a very cautious at the moment, especially ahead of some major economic releases in the US this afternoon.

The release of the first quarter GDP figure and the weekly jobless claims are going to be watched very closely this afternoon. Following Ben Bernanke’s comments last week, when he confirmed that the Fed could begin tapering its asset purchases in the next few months if the economic data continues to improve, we could see some unusual reactions to the data this afternoon.

Given that the rally in the equity markets has been largely supported by the Fed’s QE3 program, we could see a significant fall if the data beats markets expectations, as it will only increase the possibility of Fed tapering this summer. Alternatively, poor data here could prompt further buying.

Ahead of the open we expect to see the S&P down 3 points, the NASDAQ down 6 points and the Dow down 26 points.