Dow 2007

right i've got a question...

i've finally got myself esignal and i want to trade my usual e-mini's etc. I've gone to get YM sept contracts up, but when i search for YM i get YM Q7P1215 and YM Q7P1210 - some crazy stuff.... Can anyone shed any light?

Perhaps they are slightly different contract specifications, or one refers to the open outcry contract (which I believe is fungible with the electronic contract). This is just a guess, but I have no idea.

I'm not doing any live trading until I have a system I am happy with, and I am still researching ways of improving firewalkers system.

Does anyone know of some good backtesting software where you can change variables such as trailing stop losses, position sizing, trade entry filters, etc? Windows or Linux is fine, free preferable. Otherwise, does anyone know of any good spreadsheet templates? If now, could some of you who backtest in excel send me one of your backtest sheets?

Thanks! Also, could any TradIndex customer reading this contact them and ask if the Dow could come in a pip to a 4 point spread? This is about the only thing preventing me from using them, and I genuinely think they have vastly superior customer service compared with other SB firms I have dealt with.

Merci Monsieur..

13200 futures... important level indeed

nice one HS :)

Yep that 13200 fut has been key as far back as late April and a few times in August already...

It's funny ..... with all our different methods/strategies/timeframes etc.... it's a wonder we understand each other...

Cheers Fire
Hs

You are welcome Monsieur ;-)

Yep that 13200 fut has been key as far back as late April and a few times in August already...

It's funny ..... with all our different methods/strategies/timeframes etc.... it's a wonder we understand each other...

Cheers Fire
Hs

oh I wasn't going back as far as April but thanks for pointing that one out I'm too lazy for that :)

indeed several days in August... last week also showed the importance of that level

it's definitely holding on to this level right now... looks tight though. Break or not? I still favour longs though, with a stop & reverse in place there's not much risk.

Perhaps they are slightly different contract specifications, or one refers to the open outcry contract (which I believe is fungible with the electronic contract). This is just a guess, but I have no idea.

I'm not doing any live trading until I have a system I am happy with, and I am still researching ways of improving firewalkers system.

Does anyone know of some good backtesting software where you can change variables such as trailing stop losses, position sizing, trade entry filters, etc? Windows or Linux is fine, free preferable. Otherwise, does anyone know of any good spreadsheet templates? If now, could some of you who backtest in excel send me one of your backtest sheets?

Thanks! Also, could any TradIndex customer reading this contact them and ask if the Dow could come in a pip to a 4 point spread? This is about the only thing preventing me from using them, and I genuinely think they have vastly superior customer service compared with other SB firms I have dealt with.

Hi LL,

Try ProRealTime.

Fibonelli

Hi LL,

Try ProRealTime.

Fibonelli

Is that the same backtesting available with IT-Finance on IG and CMC? If you use this, could you perhaps give me some examples of non-indicator backtesting (ie price levels, bar widths, distances from PDH/PDL)? I'll look into it. Thanks.

Too lazy .....??

oh I wasn't going back as far as April but thanks for pointing that one out I'm too lazy for that :)

indeed several days in August... last week also showed the importance of that level

it's definitely holding on to this level right now... looks tight though. Break or not? I still favour longs though, with a stop & reverse in place there's not much risk.

Listen ...you don't get as good as you by being lazy...

Anyway.. the bias should be "slightly" in favour of the upside... cos that's where the surprise is...

- Fed could throw bulls a bone .... hinting at possible rate rises
- also we have now retraced 25% of the huge 900 bounce... so some respite might be at hand...

Still short but easy to cover with markets so relaxed at the mo....

Listen ...you don't get as good as you by being lazy...

Anyway.. the bias should be "slightly" in favour of the upside... cos that's where the surprise is...

- Fed could throw bulls a bone .... hinting at possible rate rises
- also we have now retraced 25% of the huge 900 bounce... so some respite might be at hand...

Still short but easy to cover with markets so relaxed at the mo....

True, I'm only occasionally lazy lol. I still get up in the middle of the night if I get a sudden new insight that I would like to try out.

Btw, what's your view on DAX? Feel free to post something in the DAX thread, picture becoming bit blurry there for me. At least for now.

Anywayz... because NQ also seems to have landed softly on support there I did reverse my shorts so fingers crossed here. Ready to exit at any sign of trouble though!

Has anyone tried to use the backtest feature on IG? Even the canned strategies don't work on my account - no trades done. Trying with CMC.

Has anyone tried to use the backtest feature on IG? Even the canned strategies don't work on my account - no trades done. Trying with CMC.

I did all my backtesting manually... there are probably better ways and definitely faster ways lol. But doing it manually helped me gain confidence so I could see it with my own eyes instead of just put it in the computer and let the results roll out...

But doing it manually helped me gain confidence so I could see it with my own eyes instead of just put it in the computer and let the results roll out...

that is a good course in price reading, that is for sure :p

dont help for getting balls of steel though :eek:....that is a different training

I did all my backtesting manually... there are probably better ways and definitely faster ways lol. But doing it manually helped me gain confidence so I could see it with my own eyes instead of just put it in the computer and let the results roll out...

I am going to do it manually too in that case. Would it be in order to use SB "cash" prices to backtest your system further than the beginning of the YMU7 contract?

Let me think about Dax for a bit..

True, I'm only occasionally lazy lol. I still get up in the middle of the night if I get a sudden new insight that I would like to try out.

Btw, what's your view on DAX? Feel free to post something in the DAX thread, picture becoming bit blurry there for me. At least for now.

Anywayz... because NQ also seems to have landed softly on support there I did reverse my shorts so fingers crossed here. Ready to exit at any sign of trouble though!

I'm a bit promisc... can spell the rest ...at the mo .......so the german bird (dax) isn't getting a look in ..
I'll give it/her another once over and get back later ...:cheesy:

I'm a bit promisc... can spell the rest ...at the mo .......so the german bird (dax) isn't getting a look in ..
I'll give it/her another once over and get back later ...:cheesy:

okay :)

meanwhile I it seems like staying on to the darkside errr short side was the best thing to do

I am going to do it manually too in that case. Would it be in order to use SB "cash" prices to backtest your system further than the beginning of the YMU7 contract?

I doubt if it makes much difference using cash or futures price... as long as you've got volume on your chart.

lest we forget....

So let me get this straight....lending on assets...sub-prime or no sub-prime...who's property is it if anyone defaults.....who loses...who wins...is unemployment rising.....are people really feeling any monetary squeeze...how can there be a squeeze if fed is now cutting rate...will this all simply not be an in transference of wealth...same as it's always been....are there enough components in place to create a true depression...

a lot of this is said tongue in cheek :cheesy:

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2006/11/19271933_chart_.html

1. "We will not have any more crashes in our time."
- John Maynard Keynes in 1927

2. "I cannot help but raise a dissenting voice to statements that we are living in a fool's paradise, and that prosperity in this country must necessarily diminish and recede in the near future."
- E. H. H. Simmons, President, New York Stock Exchange, January 12, 1928

"There will be no interruption of our permanent prosperity."
- Myron E. Forbes, President, Pierce Arrow Motor Car Co., January 12, 1928

3. "No Congress of the United States ever assembled, on surveying the state of the Union, has met with a more pleasing prospect than that which appears at the present time. In the domestic field there is tranquility and contentment...and the highest record of years of prosperity. In the foreign field there is peace, the goodwill which comes from mutual understanding."
- Calvin Coolidge December 4, 1928

4. "There may be a recession in stock prices, but not anything in the nature of a crash."
- Irving Fisher, leading U.S. economist , New York Times, Sept. 5, 1929

5. "Stock prices have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau. I do not feel there will be soon if ever a 50 or 60 point break from present levels, such as (bears) have predicted. I expect to see the stock market a good deal higher within a few months."
- Irving Fisher, Ph.D. in economics, Oct. 17, 1929

"This crash is not going to have much effect on business."
- Arthur Reynolds, Chairman of Continental Illinois Bank of Chicago, October 24, 1929

"There will be no repetition of the break of yesterday... I have no fear of another comparable decline."
- Arthur W. Loasby (President of the Equitable Trust Company), quoted in NYT, Friday, October 25, 1929

"We feel that fundamentally Wall Street is sound, and that for people who can afford to pay for them outright, good stocks are cheap at these prices."
- Goodbody and Company market-letter quoted in The New York Times, Friday, October 25, 1929

6. "This is the time to buy stocks. This is the time to recall the words of the late J. P. Morgan... that any man who is bearish on America will go broke. Within a few days there is likely to be a bear panic rather than a bull panic. Many of the low prices as a result of this hysterical selling are not likely to be reached again in many years."
- R. W. McNeel, market analyst, as quoted in the New York Herald Tribune, October 30, 1929

"Buying of sound, seasoned issues now will not be regretted"
- E. A. Pearce market letter quoted in the New York Herald Tribune, October 30, 1929

"Some pretty intelligent people are now buying stocks... Unless we are to have a panic -- which no one seriously believes, stocks have hit bottom."
- R. W. McNeal, financial analyst in October 1929

7. "The decline is in paper values, not in tangible goods and services...America is now in the eighth year of prosperity as commercially defined. The former great periods of prosperity in America averaged eleven years. On this basis we now have three more years to go before the tailspin."
- Stuart Chase (American economist and author), NY Herald Tribune, November 1, 1929

"Hysteria has now disappeared from Wall Street."
- The Times of London, November 2, 1929

"The Wall Street crash doesn't mean that there will be any general or serious business depression... For six years American business has been diverting a substantial part of its attention, its energies and its resources on the speculative game... Now that irrelevant, alien and hazardous adventure is over. Business has come home again, back to its job, providentially unscathed, sound in wind and limb, financially stronger than ever before."
- Business Week, November 2, 1929

"...despite its severity, we believe that the slump in stock prices will prove an intermediate movement and not the precursor of a business depression such as would entail prolonged further liquidation..."
- Harvard Economic Society (HES), November 2, 1929

8. "... a serious depression seems improbable; [we expect] recovery of business next spring, with further improvement in the fall."
- HES, November 10, 1929

"The end of the decline of the Stock Market will probably not be long, only a few more days at most."
- Irving Fisher, Professor of Economics at Yale University, November 14, 1929

"In most of the cities and towns of this country, this Wall Street panic will have no effect."
- Paul Block (President of the Block newspaper chain), editorial, November 15, 1929

"Financial storm definitely passed."
- Bernard Baruch, cablegram to Winston Churchill, November 15, 1929

9. "I see nothing in the present situation that is either menacing or warrants pessimism... I have every confidence that there will be a revival of activity in the spring, and that during this coming year the country will make steady progress."
- Andrew W. Mellon, U.S. Secretary of the Treasury December 31, 1929

"I am convinced that through these measures we have reestablished confidence."
- Herbert Hoover, December 1929

"[1930 will be] a splendid employment year."
- U.S. Dept. of Labor, New Year's Forecast, December 1929

10. "For the immediate future, at least, the outlook (stocks) is bright."
- Irving Fisher, Ph.D. in Economics, in early 1930

11. "...there are indications that the severest phase of the recession is over..."
- Harvard Economic Society (HES) Jan 18, 1930

12. "There is nothing in the situation to be disturbed about."
- Secretary of the Treasury Andrew Mellon, Feb 1930

13. "The spring of 1930 marks the end of a period of grave concern...American business is steadily coming back to a normal level of prosperity."
- Julius Barnes, head of Hoover's National Business Survey Conference, Mar 16, 1930

"... the outlook continues favorable..."
- HES Mar 29, 1930

14. "... the outlook is favorable..."
- HES Apr 19, 1930

15. "While the crash only took place six months ago, I am convinced we have now passed through the worst -- and with continued unity of effort we shall rapidly recover. There has been no significant bank or industrial failure. That danger, too, is safely behind us."
- Herbert Hoover, President of the United States, May 1, 1930

"...by May or June the spring recovery forecast in our letters of last December and November should clearly be apparent..."
- HES May 17, 1930

"Gentleman, you have come sixty days too late. The depression is over."
- Herbert Hoover, responding to a delegation requesting a public works program to help speed the recovery, June 1930

16. "... irregular and conflicting movements of business should soon give way to a sustained recovery..."
- HES June 28, 1930

17. "... the present depression has about spent its force..."
- HES, Aug 30, 1930

18. "We are now near the end of the declining phase of the depression."
- HES Nov 15, 1930

19. "Stabilization at [present] levels is clearly possible."
- HES Oct 31, 1931

20. "All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S."
- President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933

"Theres is nothing new in stock speculation. What has happened in the past wll happen again, again and again. This is because human emotion does not change and it is human emotion that gets in the way of human intelligence" - Jesse Livermore

>

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2006/11/19271933_chart_.html

1. "We will not have any more crashes in our time."
- John Maynard Keynes in 1927

2. "I cannot help but raise a dissenting voice to statements that we are living in a fool's paradise, and that prosperity in this country must necessarily diminish and recede in the near future."
- E. H. H. Simmons, President, New York Stock Exchange, January 12, 1928

"There will be no interruption of our permanent prosperity."
- Myron E. Forbes, President, Pierce Arrow Motor Car Co., January 12, 1928

3. "No Congress of the United States ever assembled, on surveying the state of the Union, has met with a more pleasing prospect than that which appears at the present time. In the domestic field there is tranquility and contentment...and the highest record of years of prosperity. In the foreign field there is peace, the goodwill which comes from mutual understanding."
- Calvin Coolidge December 4, 1928

4. "There may be a recession in stock prices, but not anything in the nature of a crash."
- Irving Fisher, leading U.S. economist , New York Times, Sept. 5, 1929

5. "Stock prices have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau. I do not feel there will be soon if ever a 50 or 60 point break from present levels, such as (bears) have predicted. I expect to see the stock market a good deal higher within a few months."
- Irving Fisher, Ph.D. in economics, Oct. 17, 1929

"This crash is not going to have much effect on business."
- Arthur Reynolds, Chairman of Continental Illinois Bank of Chicago, October 24, 1929

"There will be no repetition of the break of yesterday... I have no fear of another comparable decline."
- Arthur W. Loasby (President of the Equitable Trust Company), quoted in NYT, Friday, October 25, 1929

"We feel that fundamentally Wall Street is sound, and that for people who can afford to pay for them outright, good stocks are cheap at these prices."
- Goodbody and Company market-letter quoted in The New York Times, Friday, October 25, 1929

6. "This is the time to buy stocks. This is the time to recall the words of the late J. P. Morgan... that any man who is bearish on America will go broke. Within a few days there is likely to be a bear panic rather than a bull panic. Many of the low prices as a result of this hysterical selling are not likely to be reached again in many years."
- R. W. McNeel, market analyst, as quoted in the New York Herald Tribune, October 30, 1929

"Buying of sound, seasoned issues now will not be regretted"
- E. A. Pearce market letter quoted in the New York Herald Tribune, October 30, 1929

"Some pretty intelligent people are now buying stocks... Unless we are to have a panic -- which no one seriously believes, stocks have hit bottom."
- R. W. McNeal, financial analyst in October 1929

7. "The decline is in paper values, not in tangible goods and services...America is now in the eighth year of prosperity as commercially defined. The former great periods of prosperity in America averaged eleven years. On this basis we now have three more years to go before the tailspin."
- Stuart Chase (American economist and author), NY Herald Tribune, November 1, 1929

"Hysteria has now disappeared from Wall Street."
- The Times of London, November 2, 1929

"The Wall Street crash doesn't mean that there will be any general or serious business depression... For six years American business has been diverting a substantial part of its attention, its energies and its resources on the speculative game... Now that irrelevant, alien and hazardous adventure is over. Business has come home again, back to its job, providentially unscathed, sound in wind and limb, financially stronger than ever before."
- Business Week, November 2, 1929

"...despite its severity, we believe that the slump in stock prices will prove an intermediate movement and not the precursor of a business depression such as would entail prolonged further liquidation..."
- Harvard Economic Society (HES), November 2, 1929

8. "... a serious depression seems improbable; [we expect] recovery of business next spring, with further improvement in the fall."
- HES, November 10, 1929

"The end of the decline of the Stock Market will probably not be long, only a few more days at most."
- Irving Fisher, Professor of Economics at Yale University, November 14, 1929

"In most of the cities and towns of this country, this Wall Street panic will have no effect."
- Paul Block (President of the Block newspaper chain), editorial, November 15, 1929

"Financial storm definitely passed."
- Bernard Baruch, cablegram to Winston Churchill, November 15, 1929

9. "I see nothing in the present situation that is either menacing or warrants pessimism... I have every confidence that there will be a revival of activity in the spring, and that during this coming year the country will make steady progress."
- Andrew W. Mellon, U.S. Secretary of the Treasury December 31, 1929

"I am convinced that through these measures we have reestablished confidence."
- Herbert Hoover, December 1929

"[1930 will be] a splendid employment year."
- U.S. Dept. of Labor, New Year's Forecast, December 1929

10. "For the immediate future, at least, the outlook (stocks) is bright."
- Irving Fisher, Ph.D. in Economics, in early 1930

11. "...there are indications that the severest phase of the recession is over..."
- Harvard Economic Society (HES) Jan 18, 1930

12. "There is nothing in the situation to be disturbed about."
- Secretary of the Treasury Andrew Mellon, Feb 1930

13. "The spring of 1930 marks the end of a period of grave concern...American business is steadily coming back to a normal level of prosperity."
- Julius Barnes, head of Hoover's National Business Survey Conference, Mar 16, 1930

"... the outlook continues favorable..."
- HES Mar 29, 1930

14. "... the outlook is favorable..."
- HES Apr 19, 1930

15. "While the crash only took place six months ago, I am convinced we have now passed through the worst -- and with continued unity of effort we shall rapidly recover. There has been no significant bank or industrial failure. That danger, too, is safely behind us."
- Herbert Hoover, President of the United States, May 1, 1930

"...by May or June the spring recovery forecast in our letters of last December and November should clearly be apparent..."
- HES May 17, 1930

"Gentleman, you have come sixty days too late. The depression is over."
- Herbert Hoover, responding to a delegation requesting a public works program to help speed the recovery, June 1930

16. "... irregular and conflicting movements of business should soon give way to a sustained recovery..."
- HES June 28, 1930

17. "... the present depression has about spent its force..."
- HES, Aug 30, 1930

18. "We are now near the end of the declining phase of the depression."
- HES Nov 15, 1930

19. "Stabilization at [present] levels is clearly possible."
- HES Oct 31, 1931

20. "All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S."
- President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933

"Theres is nothing new in stock speculation. What has happened in the past wll happen again, again and again. This is because human emotion does not change and it is human emotion that gets in the way of human intelligence" - Jesse Livermore

>

Now I know i've arrived at the promised land......hmmm, but what to spend it all on...:rolleyes: thanks for posting it catracho.. :LOL: ..I hope to re-post it here in december...or earlier...;)

Cheers Fire
Hs

Damn... days like these make you wish you were a position trader :eek:
I shorted yesterday's highs and closed EOD because I never hold overnight.

I got into short again today, but do I wish I left that one running or what :-0 :rolleyes: ...

Damn... days like these make you wish you were a position trader :eek:
I shorted yesterday's highs and closed EOD because I never hold overnight.

I got into short again today, but do I wish I left that one running or what :-0 :rolleyes: ...

:mad: :mad: :mad: I also closed my short too early .. oh well .. another opportunity will be along shortly ..

:mad: :mad: :mad: I also closed my short too early .. oh well .. another opportunity will be along shortly ..

yeah can be quite frustrating...

but better to take a chunk out of it that nothing, right?

I am wondering if HookShot left it on till the close though... (the lucky ******* :devilish: )