Dow 2007

Change to my personal plans, as you know this is my last week prior to my summer break, I had intended to finish tomorrow, however, due to the floods up here, I'm helping a relative "reclaim" their property from the floods tomorrow, so today will be my last day until September.

If I can get some points today, I will post my trades, if I don't, I wish you all well, and the best of luck with your trading over the next few months.

Any Pm's, put them through, and I'll deal with them before I go.

Bye for now

Sorry, forgot to mention, I went long at 302

Last edited:
What was your signal, and where were your stops and limits?

Just taking profits of the range 13380-13400. Most people will want to see it move outside of the range, but I like to scalp some points. And when it's a 20 point range, you might as well choose a side. So I scalped 15... not much but it's choppy

Change to my personal plans, as you know this is my last week prior to my summer break, I had intended to finish tomorrow, however, due to the floods up here, I'm helping a relative "reclaim" their property from the floods tomorrow, so today will be my last day until September.

If I can get some points today, I will post my trades, if I don't, I wish you all well, and the best of luck with your trading over the next few months.

Bye for now

Hi Dinos,
enjoy your break....where abouts are you "up there"..........reason I ask is I travelled back Monday from Scarboro after visiting family and the floods in Yorkshire were terrible...hope all is well with your relatives....

I rather doubt it but perhaps we could all talk in the same currency ie Dow futures or cash. It can get confusing especially when they are close togethor. Personally I prefer talking Dow cash even though I trade S&P futures. The tick chart is in cash.
BTW FW why do you prefer futures to daily cash ? Isnt the spread smaller on cash ?

Hi Pat, I can only trade futures through IB I cannot trade from cash prices and I do not spreadbet. I have a 1 point spread on my DOW contract...

Bye for now

dinos, have a good break, you deserve it for your trading and contributions here, all the best.

im off to portugal friday but only for a long weekend...:cool:

Bye for now

Good luck and enjoy the summer Dinos! Hope to you see again in September! I'm sure I speak for all of us that we'll miss your calls on this thread.

Brutus, Dinos - enjoy your holidays. Dinos - we'll miss you, but you've done exceedingly well and deserve some relaxation and a chance to spend more time with your family.

September seems so far off - I hope I am still here and still trading when you come back.

Brutus - see you back in a few days.

Regarding the YM - I'm seeing lower volume on the last 5 minute bar (albiet with a smaller range), but tick can't seem to make a higher high and I think a top could be forming here.

Afternoon doldrums are just starting now, so perhaps I should go and do something else for awhile.

E*Trade are still mucking me about.

Good luck and enjoy the summer Dinos! Hope to you see again in September! I'm sure I speak for all of us that we'll miss your calls on this thread.

Well said firewalker.

Looking at yet another 5m bar with lower volume, and the lower high on this bars tick, I'm considering shorting 435, for which my SB broker quotes me 30.

Right, I'm short 25 (not a nice price) :(

Stoploss above the highs at 35. Target is support at 400 (410 depending).

Thanks for the messages of goodwill guys, really appreciated.

Steve, I'm just outside Hull, we had it really bad, part of the village I live in is still submerged, my wifes aunty lives about 100 yards from us on the main road, unfortunately her property lies below the road level, its so sad, water upto her waist, the water has subsided out of the property now, but is still flooded in the gardens.

A good 30% of the village is under water, fortunately for us, we live at the peak of an incline, so no trouble for us, but we feel for those in the lower reaches of the villages, surprising how such a feat brings people who don't know each other together, remarkable.

So, a day upto my elbows in muck and cleaning liquids tomorrow!

Closed position down for +20, so flat for the day. (for now)!!!

Right, I'm short 25 (not a nice price) :(

Stoploss above the highs at 35. Target is support at 400 (410 depending).

Out +4. There only seems to be scalp action around these days. Perhaps I am looking at too short a timescale here, but nevertheless I feel I am trading in the zone*.

* - some of you who know my written plan for this market would say I am scalping, overtrading, etc - but today, I seem to be in tune with how much the market says is enough rather than sticking to a predetermined target on a ranging day. On a trend day I would like to think I had the discipline to hold targets, but on a choppy ranging day like this one needs to know when the wind changes (and tick told me it was no longer safe to be short).

Bear in mind that +4 net of spread means I got out of that short when the last trade was 417.

Oh, and since we are so keen on metrics now (thanks fw):

Trades: 6 (overtrading perhaps - thats £30 to the bookie)
Win: 5
Loss: 1
Win %: 80 (if I could sustain that!)
Average Win: 3.3 (I know!)
Average Loss: 14

Edit - looks like I should have held my target. Market at 410.

Lurker, thanks, your short at 25, doesn't look that bad on the 10 mins, perhaps a bit early.

MACD Neg diverging, stochastics, looking favourably, all in all a good trade in the making sir, and I will be talking to you in September.

Steve, I'm just outside Hull, we had it really bad, part of the village I live in is still submerged, my wifes aunty lives about 100 yards from us on the main road, unfortunately her property lies below the road level, its so sad, water upto her waist, the water has subsided out of the property now, but is still flooded in the gardens.

A good 30% of the village is under water, fortunately for us, we live at the peak of an incline, so no trouble for us, but we feel for those in the lower reaches of the villages, surprising how such a feat brings people who don't know each other together, remarkable.

It was the speed with which the flooding occured which amazed me.....all the best to you and your family......

Good man. Thats the sort of community spirit we need more of in this country! I prefer villages for that, but I'll spend the remainder of my youth in the city, no matter how impersonal everyone is in cities.

I'm going to bugger off until around 6. Don't like the doldrums, I'm thinking that exiting the last trade when I did wasn't wise, and perhaps I am overtrading and scalping a bit.

I get uneasy when I risk my own capital and pay £30 worth of spread to a bookie and get to keep £4 for myself, despite being right 80% of the time.

I'll be back at 6pm to swear when the market has dropped a further 50 points.

Nevermind - there is always another opportunity.

My first trade made +8. There is a pattern developing here where I am best off financially after I close my first trade of the day. If my first trade loses, I tend to go on and lose more. If my first trade wins, it is usually the biggest winner of the day and I give back death by a thousand cuts.