Dow 2007

The Germans are so reliable....vorsprung durch technic

keep an eye on 30 yr bond tomorrow..it's pushing support at 109 and if breaks will trade down to 106....this will spook equities...FOMC minutes tomorrow nite may provide catalyst....

cheers
Thx Steve ........not the only thing the market will have on it's mind ...after Asian fun and games...

Got you on Long bond .. but can't help thinking we've gotta listen to Greenspan more closely - he might know a thing or two..

Feb he spoke up about impending recession .... and 48hrs later markets responded - starting in ASIA. Late last week he said watch "China Bubble" - and look what happens last night

Great sesh ahead .........
All the best :D

Again, I'm having difficulty with the concept of formulating a system - I do not know how detailed the system needs to be or what it needs to do. I am getting hung up on the whole system / statistical edge / positive expectation / backtesting lark that I am feeling a little adrift.

Perhaps I should look at the markets in real time, work on my knowledge of the relationship between price and volume, and paper trade when I spot an opportunity. I can then post my trade, targets, stop, reasons for entry, etc in real time and try to stick to the plan.

If you are thinking of trading without a proper defined set of rules, the odds of wiping your account are getting increasingly bigger. Sure, you can "feel" at times where the market is going, but I've had to learn the hard way that the times you don't "feel" what it can do, things can turn around quite sudden. If you have not detailed your system to the point you can give it to somebody else who knows nothing about trading, it will make you second-guess and doubt your entries and exits when trading live.

Trading on a feeling will make you enter and exit without any consistency. You will think or feel the market has moved enough to take profits and you will cut your profits short. When a trade goes against you, you will convince yourself the market will turn around soon. And you'll always find signals to confirm that.

short 530 cash -stop 565 (Wednesday's market)

stop moved to 485 to lock in some profit, appears strong intra- day support around 470 area,using IG, daily cash futures.
the proverbial problem of setting trailing stops too near - or not!

The Chinese

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6703165.stm

"One of the main factors behind the surge in shares has been a willingness among ordinary people, such as students and pensioners, to buy shares.

Instead of leaving their savings in bank accounts, many people are now using the cash to buy shares in the hope of receiving better returns.

According to industry figures, 300,000 people a day opened brokerage accounts in China last week. "

When everybody jumps on the wagon... it's time to leave the train.

Good morning all, back from my long weekend away, back to trading this afternoon, catching up until then, looks like there was many opportunities to fill ya boot, and lookd like some of you did, well done.

Good morning all, back from my long weekend away, back to trading this afternoon, catching up until then, looks like there was many opportunities to fill ya boot, and lookd like some of you did, well done.

Welcome back Robert, and good luck today. What's your take on the Dow at this moment? Wondering whether to take profit now (57 pips) or leave the trailing stop to take a few less if hit?

cheers - tricks

Asian hiccup
Could this be the trigger that starts the slide the bears have been waiting months for ??

Asian hiccup
Could this be the trigger that starts the slide the bears have been waiting months for ??

This is just my guess, but I think it's only a first minor shockwave and not yet the one we've all been waiting for. But we'll soon find out :)

gut feeling: futures are predicting a drop in the Dow: there will be a slight dip but then buyers will come back into the market. thereafter, after the issue of fomc minutes I'm not sure. i think the market may actually 'ignore' what the fed says and go back into the positive. not at all sure what position i take today. i am still a *bear* :)

the dow ain't doing anything at the moment!
edit: that was a slow opening considering what's happened on the indices today...

have i lost it today? is it a 9 or 9:30 open?

Last edited:
Hi tricks, nice to have that many points in the bag, it really is up to you on how you feel the market is going to go, imho, not advice, I would personally be happier taking the profit and waiting for the next trading opportunity, it may well go as you think, you can rejoin the train on the impulse having taken the profit, it could go against you and then "I wished I'd taken" etc.

As you know, I'm neither bear/bull, but trade what I see each trading day, I don't need to say this, down at the open looks to be in order today, I will be looking around 13460 for further weakness, although I'm not yet convinced there is not further advances to be made.

I'll trade as I see it, bank it asap

Good Luck

the dow ain't doing anything at the moment!
edit: that was a slow opening considering what's happened on the indices today...

have i lost it today? is it a 9 or 9:30 open?

It probably won't be doing a whole lot before it opens at 9.30 am EST
:p

waiting for it to move into the positive and then *possibly* short :)
(although i can see why you guys are long at the moment)