Dow 2006

dc2000 said:
Hi Rav as you say you can always exit at B/E and there should be 2 exits if this weeks price goes to plan

they are at 11659 and 11638 although for the 2nd your stop may be slightly close these are Dow cash prices
I totally agree with you DC I do see all these points plotted on my graphs...

One last move up if that on Friday and then next week should be down......

I wonder where people get these articles from.....

Have you had a look at the last day of the month for september it has always close at a peak for many years and always gone down on a monday..........

Corraling the Cattle
Bob Carver: Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Sometimes certain phrases stick in your mind and this market reminds us of a favorite phrase of an investor/trader we knew many years ago. This investor had been a Texas rancher before trading his Stetson for the comfort of an air-conditioned Fidelity trading office. We could always tell when the market was ripe for a correction, or worse, when we walked into the office, asked him how the market was doing and he replied, "They've rounded up the cattle and put them in the corral." The meaning was unmistakable: the insiders had finally convinced the public to buy shares. Needless to say, the free lunch the public thought they were getting was going to be on them - literally!

You see, when cattle are prepared for slaughter, they are put in a corral feedlot and fattened up to put extra pounds on so they will bring extra profits. We can hear that old rancher saying, "They're going to be ready for slaughter any day now!"

The market struggled to make gains on Wednesday. The media circus put on by CNBC was reminiscent of past circuses, like NASDAQ 5000 - now at less than half that figure. With all the focus on a specific figure - Dow 11,722 this time around - one can only hope they get their wish before the cattle are fat enough to slaughter. We're now nearing the end of the quarterly Window Dressing period when money managers pump up prices to make it look like they did a better job at making money than they really did.

Yes, some of those cattle are looking nice and plump now!

Cheers DC .... Rav, Kriesau and everyone else.

Patience we are almost there - incidentally has anyone seen the Ibex 35 in Spain put in a mega-spike to match the 2000 all time highs - around 13k (yes rav 13,000 - haha). That's had it ......but I'm already close to my limit.

All the best

Hook Shot

Another Nail !

Louis Jordan

The bullish argument being made on CNBC this morning by my pal Joe Kernen, et al, was that corporations have never been in such good shape and that the earnings visibility has never been clearer in focus. And over on Market Insight, Beam Me Up Scotty Rothbort concisely delineates 10 bullish bullet investment/economic points. While the aforementioned observers view the glass as half full, I view the contents of The Edge's glass as having been spilled. From my perch, this simplistic, rear view argument misses several important considerations:

1. The conditions of extreme fiscal and monetary stimulation that created the present economic state will turn from tailwind to headwind in a world without stimuli;
2. Rising geopolitical risks in an unstable world (make the price of energy products a wild card and will likely result in a sustained high level of oil);
3. The consumer-driven overconsumption binge fueled by refinancing cashouts is over (evidence of a spent up not pent up consumer is manifested in the negative savings rate and eroding real disposable median incomes over the past five years);
4. The vulnerability to corporate profit margins;
5. The piercing of the housing bubble and its attendant ramifications;
6. Too enthusiastic a view on the secular prospects for technology (in light of the exposed consumer and the increasing importance of consumer electronics on that sector);
7. The era of below historic inflation seems likely to be replaced by inflationary pressures (despite the Bureau of Labor Statistics' work of fiction).

Frankly, I am getting sick and tired (commensurate with my eroding P&L) of those many glib talking heads (media and money managers) that have been transformed from dour sad sacks to cheerleaders based, arguably, almost solely on the rally in the world equity markets over the last four months. I continue to see a lumpy and uneven period of economic activity which corporate managers and investment managers will find hard to navigate. Consensus profit growth remains too optimistic.

For now, the bears are eating Beans and Cornbread (another Louis Jordan hit) as the bulls munch on caviar and drink champagne (yes there will even be confetti on CNBC when the DJIA mounts a new high!) as the good times roll.

But, beware, as Teardrops From My Eyes (a 1951 Louis Jordan classic) might be just around the corner!

Any of you guys know why a number of reputable data providers have the alltime intraday high for the cash Dow as 11908.5 as opposed to the 11750.28 on bloomberg?

The end of the quarter is nigh. Fund managers TP by any chance? We've had some lifeless Friday sessions over the course of the last two months, I think today maybe different.

Anyhow, got a toboggan in't garage, gonna get it out over't weekend, maybe needed in early October!!!!

Happy trading.

Chris

chindl said:
The end of the quarter is nigh. Fund managers TP by any chance? We've had some lifeless Friday sessions over the course of the last two months, I think today maybe different.

Anyhow, got a toboggan in't garage, gonna get it out over't weekend, maybe needed in early October!!!!

Happy trading.

Chris

Well that's my shekels in...short from 734.

Hope you got the points because it may go into the 40s imho

edit 5.34 pm Well that was a non-event ! Choppy and sideways ? ( What do I know anyway )

Last edited:
:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:
Hello my trading friends,

I guess all of you have been wondering what happened with my trade, well I am still in as I didn't want to cut my losses earlier..........boy oh boy ...This was the biggest trade that I have Placed on the Dow to fall........

I just wanted to say a big thanks
to Pat494 Hookshot ,kriesau and the grand master Dc2000

Thanks a lot for helping me keep my nervers..............

I am now hoping for my fall of atleast with a 200 points.....Time will tell...

All my technical indicators are giving me strong signals and also I had a closing target of 11687 for Friday the 29th of september and it has done exactly as I suspected....

If it would have closed above 11722 that would have been a worrying momment for me and this weekend would have been another painful one with phsycological Justification for my placing the trade and reading thourgh several thousand bear articles to justify to my own mind that the dow will falllllllllll..

Let see what happens on monday may be the last attempt to break the high, personally I dont think so I see it going down hill from here.

I think that the drop will be achieved in a week or fortnight max..

Best of luck

Happy Trading
Rav
( Moving back to the cable from monday)

Hello my trading friends,

I guess all of you have been wondering what happened with my trade, well I am still in as I didn't want to cut my losses earlier..........boy oh boy ...This was the biggest trade that I have Placed on the Dow to fall........

I just wanted to say big thanks
to Pat494 Hookshot ,kriesau and the grand master Dc2000

Thanks a lot for helping me keep my nerves..............

I am now hoping for my fall of at least with 200 points.....Time will tell...

All my technical indicators are giving me strong signals and also I had a closing target of 11687 for Friday the 29th of September and it has done exactly as I suspected....

If it would have closed above 11722 that would have been a worrying moment for me and this weekend would have been another painful one with psychological Justification for my placing the trade and reading though several thousand bear articles to justify to my own mind that the dow will falllllllllll..

Let see what happens on Monday may be the last attempt to break the high, personally I don’t think so I see it going down hill from here.

Best of luck

Happy Trading
Rav
(Moving back to the cable from Monday)

rav700 said:
Hello my trading friends, I guess all of you have been wondering what happened with my trade, well I am still in as I didn't want to cut my losses earlier..........boy oh boy ...This was the biggest trade that I have Placed on the Dow to fall........I just wanted to say a big thanks to Pat494, Hookshot ,kriesau and the grand master Dc2000. Thanks a lot for helping me keep my nervers..............I am now hoping for my fall of atleast with a 200 points.....Time will tell...All my technical indicators are giving me strong signals and also I had a closing target of 11687 for Friday the 29th of september and it has done exactly as I suspected....

If it would have closed above 11722 that would have been a worrying momment for me and this weekend would have been another painful one with phsycological Justification for my placing the trade and reading thourgh several thousand bear articles to justify to my own mind that the dow will falllllllllll..
Let see what happens on monday may be the last attempt to break the high, personally I dont think so I see it going down hill from here. I think that the drop will be achieved in a week or fortnight max..Best of luck, Happy Trading, Rav ( Moving back to the cable from monday)
Well I hope you are right Rav and that you make your 200pt target. Fortune favours the brave but sometimes it can also trip you up !

The Dow and other indices should be going down from here BUT this market has been both somewhat irrational and volatile over the past few weeks (who was it who said that the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent or words to that effect !) and therefore it is still difficult to call. The Dow may make a final attempt for an ATH close this week before commencing any descent.

Old Charlie is still bullish on the Dow and looking for a target of 12100 as a new ATH during October. I find it hard to buy into this projection but he did correctly call this market up in the summer and has been on a roll recently.
"So, yesterday we had a pullback, but The Market recovered. Today, we had another pullback, but The Market didn't recover! Out came crowd talk of reversal. What a sudden change of perspective from the euphoria of party talk about the new high, to the mega storm clouds over The Market at all altitudes. So, here's why I'm still bullish. First, a step back and we can see, in chart V 469, that we are still pretty much on track to hit our end of October target of 12,100. My estimate arrows to the end of the year, and into 2007, are those final conclusions I gave you back in April. I'll repeat my summer belief that we're due for a happy, rather than a sad "September Song" is on track......................... We have been undergoing successive cyclic flips, and we may be in the process of yet another one. That suggests a soft beginning of the week ahead, and a stronger finish."

We have this conumdrum of 'bad news is good news' at the moment and with Oil still below $63 and Gold hovering just above $600 anything could still happen.

I thought that with the Fed rate pause (contrasting with likely fiurther rises in the UK & Euroland) we would see Gold moving up as a hedge. I actually bought Gold Futures last week and fortunately moved my trailing stop up when they subsequently hit $611 which meant that I only lost 2 full points when it suddenly spiked down $12 on Friday. Whilst Gold is a very volatile market (particularly short term and one should probably use much longer stops) it is indicative of how very unpredictable the markets are at the moment.)

I'm still looking for a good short entry point and will certainly wait to see if the Dow can convincingly breach 11650 first. That will tempt me in and then the second major area of support is 11500 which the Dow has closed above for 13 consecutive sessions. If it can break through that level I would then add to my initial position and cautiously look for a possible assault of 11000, which it hasn't closed below since July. However, I think that the NDX is more likely to be the lead horse for a downturn and I would look to go short here before shorting the Dow.

Good luck to everyone next week.

kriesau said:
The Dow and other indices should be going down from here BUT this market has been both somewhat irrational and volatile over the past few weeks (who was it who said that the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent or words to that effect !) and therefore it is still difficult to call.

One person's irrational is another's reasonable.

I am still trying to sort out playing the Dow and S&P before trying the more exotic areas. Is cable easier to predict ? I wonder. Anyway sorry to see Rav disappearing - hopefully not into the sunset ?? LOL
Does anyone know of a website that quantifies fundamental news ? i.e. news that will affect the markets turned into a figure, +/- 100 perhaps ? there might be a problem between anticipated news and breaking news.
I was hoping I could put this into my economic forecasting model.

From John Maudlins Sept 30th commentary:

The Dow failed to close at a new high. If Monday's ISM number comes out in line with Chicago, then expect that new high. If it comes out in line with the Philadelphia number, then we have seen the high for this cycle.

I was on Larry Kudlow's show this last Tuesday. The topic was "Will there be continued growth or a recession in our future?" It will surprise no one that I argued for an economic slowdown or a mild recession. Professor Nouriel Roubini was on with us, and he was even more bearish. But John Rutledge and Kudlow more than balanced our views.

My summary points?
1. You can't ignore the negative yield curve. It is the most reliable forward indicator of future recessions or slowdowns. And it is telling us that a slowdown, at the very least, is on the way. To ignore it must mean you are willing to say "This time it's different." Those are the four most dangerous words you can utter in a trading room. Since the stock market drops an average of over 40% before and during a recession, if the yield curve is right, we are going to get to buy this market at lower prices.

2. There are other indicators suggesting a slowdown/recession, such as the Leading Economic Indicators and the ratio of the Coincident to Lagging Indicators. The data on consumer spending shows it tightly correlated with housing prices, and housing activity has become highly correlated with the S&P on a lagging six month basis, which does not bode well for the stock market, as housing activity is in free fall.

3. Even if we have a "mere" slowdown, that is going to mean disappointing earnings in our future, which will lead to a stock market decline. Yes, earnings are strong now, but we are at a peak in earnings as a percentage of GDP. Earnings growth is mean reverting. That means we will see earnings growth drop back to GDP plus inflation or around 6%, at the very minimum. A recession will mean it drops below that. And that means we get to buy this market at a lower price.

4. The market doesn't look forward, or at least not very well. You can simply go back to August of 2000 and watch the market almost make new highs (other than the NASDAQ and tech stocks). Two and a half quarters later we were in a recession. Oops. The market simply takes the most recent trends, anchors on them and then projects them into the future.

5. Yes, the housing market is only a small part of the overall economy, but it is an important part. It contributed about 1/3 of the new jobs during the recovery. It is highly correlated with consumer spending, which is slowing. Recessions happen at the margin. The world does not end. It merely slows down. If housing slows down by 25-30%, coupled with lower consumer spending, that could easily put us in a mild recession.

When asked about what the rising stock market was telling us, Roubini said he thought it was a sucker rally. I agree. In my view, to be unreservedly bullish on stocks at this point is to ignore what seem to be clear warning signs. Let me be clear on one thing. I expect the stock market to be higher in 5-7 years than it is today. Maybe in less than 5. I simply think I can buy this market at a lower price at some time in the future.