Day Trade the FTSE

for what it's worth and it's not worth a lot (FWIWAINWAL) .. I have an irrational urge to go long today .. some people think Northern rock is worth buying ... bad US data yesterday points to further interest rate cuts at some point .. let's see

(NB: I mean other banks think Northern Rock are worth scraping up now)

Last edited:
for what it's worth and it's not worth a lot (FWIWAINWAL) .. I have an irrational urge to go long today .. some people think Northern rock is worth buying ... bad US data yesterday points to further interest rate cuts at some point .. let's see

(NB: I mean other banks think Northern Rock are worth scraping up now)

Did your urge get the better of you? I'm already long on SP (ovrernight) and don't want to trade Footsie, as well.

Split

Did your urge get the better of you? I'm already long on SP (ovrernight) and don't want to trade Footsie, as well.

Split

yes I went long at 6435 .. still in ... bit annoyed I did not take 20 points when it was offered .. may have to bail soon .. if it falls through yesterday's high

spikes

What's with all these ftse future spikes today ? Someone is making or losing a lot of money very quickly.

Also it will give the spread boys the perfect excuse to take out stops or am I being cynical here. Anybody got caught yet from this ?

What's with all these ftse future spikes today ? Someone is making or losing a lot of money very quickly.

Also it will give the spread boys the perfect excuse to take out stops or am I being cynical here. Anybody got caught yet from this ?

not seeing spikes with capitalspreads (SB) .. not today anyway who's charts are you watching?

A spike just happened now on liffe futs and cash taking out a nice profit...grrr

FTSE cash

Here ye go laddie...

Attachments

• chart ftse cash.JPG
    chart ftse cash.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 166
what made you go long on SnP last night? .. looks good now .. but unclear last night

I put an order on to buy at 1515 before I went to work at lunchtime so I was in it all afternoon. If I can turn a day trade into a swing, I do. Looks like I'm going to leave it on today, as well. What do you think will happen this afternoon? I get home just 30 minutes before the US market closes, which gives me time to decide whether to close or not.

Yes, I know what you mean but that quick rise/bump took out the profit from my trade:eek:

I know the feeling .. but since I have been long in three trade today it's the bumps down that are stealing my profits. .. grr

I put an order on to buy at 1515 before I went to work at lunchtime so I was in it all afternoon. If I can turn a day trade into a swing, I do. Looks like I'm going to leave it on today, as well. What do you think will happen this afternoon? I get home just 30 minutes before the US market closes, which gives me time to decide whether to close or not.

looking into my tea leaves I see a bump up till 4:30 then who knows .. maybe an almighty rally .. then again ...

there's no big news out there but this just in:
"FRANKFURT (Thomson Financial) - German shares were higher in midday trade as
investors speculated that key US macroeconomic data that came out yesterday
could be a further incentive for the US Fed to lower its key interest rates."
and
"NEW YORK (AP) - Wall Street tipped toward a higher open Wednesday as
investors were looking for more signs of economic sluggishness to nudge the
Federal Reserve toward another interest rate cut.
Investors will get new data when the Commerce Department releases a reading
on durable goods for August. The report will be closely followed after reports
Tuesday showed existing home sales stalled in August, and consumer confidence in
September remains a worry."

so I am still bullish.. barring any surprises ..I just wish I had not just cut my last long for
5 measly points:rolleyes: ... now do I get back in or not:confused:

well played Split! .. what's that? +100 points?

tricky trading today . the gap up did not leave much for intraday guys like me :|
the trend from 8:41uk is marginally down right now .. but I am not convinced .. is it going to find a floor soon and head back up? .. the news yesterday that Warren Buffet is looking at a stake in Bear Stern, and today's news that hedge funds are looking at Northern Rock makes me bullish .. but we need to find a support first ..I see it finally made some progress down as I write .. lets see