Daily Dax

If you want pure volatility, try trading the IBEX, makes the DAX look tame at times

If you want pure volatility, try trading the IBEX, makes the DAX look tame at times

Thank you for that Dinos. What a laugh !! I've just looked at a 5min IBEX chart - amazing. My DJ trading strat seems to work ok on IBEX(after a BRIEF glance) think I'll dummy trade it for week or two, looks FUN...... Is IBEX spanish ? Only a guess - I've been in the back of Mercedes taxi in Barcelona and that was quite volatile.

NK

Afternoon guys, I don't wish to hijack this thread completely, so advanced apologies for this question - I have mainly concentrated on daytrading the Dow, and only started looking at the Dax as I was getting bored in the morning. HAS IT ALWAYS BEEN THIS VOLATILE ? Or is it just the current state of things ? There seems to be so many more trading opps than the FTSE/CAC......

Nick

Spot on. I'd even go so far as to say that the DAX presents more opportunities than the DOW for profiteering. Yes, it is volatile on a short term basis, but look at a daily chart for the last couple of years, and what do you see? It's actually a fair bit more predictable on the longer term for swing-trading spreadbetters like me. Only discovered it myself in January, and absolutely loving it since.

Lol about the taxi :D

I've closed out my short now and gone long again - time to see if the market is in agreement or if it has other ideas!

Rather than hijack this most interesting of threads, I'm off to start one on the Ibex, to see if anyone else trades it.......

NK

And just when I thought the DAX had had enough of the volatility of the last few weeks, we're back to this madness again...up 90 points on the day and rising.

I'm delighted from a pure profit point of view, but most uneasy in terms of where we're headed :eek:

EDIT 12/06/07 - Spoke too soon! DAX is down again 100 points on the day...this index is toooooooo volatile by far.

Last edited:
Jbat, have a look at one of my other threads, http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showthread.php?t=25277 it shows a stategy for the IBEX that seems to work quite well.....

Thanks nkruger, will take a good look shortly...

Looking at the daily chart on DAX, things looking interesting. All we need is a sustained break below 7500, and all hell will break loose. We're not overvalued on fundamentals, but did anyone else see the report from JP Morgan saying that 'their models' predicted a 14% 'correction' within the next 6 months? I'd rather the pension funds didn't take another huge kicking, and drive even more people into buying fecking BTL property!

Value in Dax ??

Cash can be bought for 8005 at the mo apprx dn 85 - despite asia holding together !!!

Has the DAX finally "exhausted" itself? Last move up was 631 points in 9 days with the last day of rally a gap up, followed by so far a gap down.... or will this be another "buy the dip"...

I don't do overnights, but I bet most of you guys are short now from overnight?
I took a short on dax this morning from 8110, had to wait some time to see it move, but then it bagged and I took 30 out of it. Stupid me, it's already 60 points lower now :rolleyes:

Not much clear support beneath this level... so any views people?

I don't do overnights, but I bet most of you guys are short now from overnight?
I took a short on dax this morning from 8110, had to wait some time to see it move, but then it bagged and I took 30 out of it. Stupid me, it's already 60 points lower now :rolleyes:

Not much clear support beneath this level... so any views people?

The Friday up bar we're in now is the one I mentioned the other day with massive volume...the low was 7860 on cash that day...It's gonna take some big force down to bust that....all we need to go lower would be a daily close below 7860 which would set up target of 7650 ish...on the other hand if we go below 7860 and then close back above it inside the Friday range that would be a bullish set up for me......
As ever much depends on the Yanks.....

The Friday up bar we're in now is the one I mentioned the other day with massive volume...the low was 7860 on cash that day...It's gonna take some big force down to bust that....all we need to go lower would be a daily close below 7860 which would set up target of 7650 ish...on the other hand if we go below 7860 and then close back above it inside the Friday range that would be a bullish set up for me......

thanks for those insights :)
those are definitely targets out of my league... I don't hold on so long

see chart for my short from 8110... if my wasn't so stupid to close it at +30 I would wait for my downtrendline to be broken to exit or wait for some very huge volume on potential capitulation...

Attachments

• dax_short.jpg
    dax_short.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 140
thanks for those insights :)
those are definitely targets out of my league... I don't hold on so long

see chart for my short from 8110... if my wasn't so stupid to close it at +30 I would wait for my downtrendline to be broken to exit or wait for some very huge volume on potential capitulation...

nice entry FW...exit is the hard bit eh...with such a steep downtrend it's likely you'd get an up bar that would poke above...for day trading i'd put a stop on a close above that bar which corresponds with the second highest volume bar

Attachments

• dax_short.jpg
    dax_short.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 130

I'd go along with your 7860 steve.... I've noticed it's not that common to get dax down 200pts on close over the last 18m (naturally)... When there is potential for one it usually repairs itself before the bell... Dn 200 would be around 7890 not far off 7860.
So I'm looking for an entry ..... but job done for today really :cheesy:

Todays DAX

Nice move down. Regards Helgo

Attachments

• dax55t.gif
    dax55t.gif
    50.3 KB · Views: 140