Best Thread Correlation Trading - Basic Ideas and Strategies

Thanks for the explanation Jedster, I would of naturally thought along the lines of " the dow rising making a stronger US economy thus making the dollar stronger as opposed to weaker "

ok if thats what you want to hear dude ....

" the dow rising making a stronger US economy thus making the dollar stronger as opposed to weaker "

N ;)

Hi all,
Can someone add an alert when the selected indexes are crossed to fxcorr indicator?

hey dude

check through the thread ............I think someone had a triple MA system indicator loaded that has alerts on it ???

I may have some in the Attic as well..........I have over 200 verions of the FXcorrelator and derivative indicators ..........trouble is re the old ones .....I have no idea what one does what ....hahahahahahaha :LOL:

N

ok if thats what you want to hear dude ....

" the dow rising making a stronger US economy thus making the dollar stronger as opposed to weaker "

N ;)

can you give a brief explanation why the dow is used as your first marker and the correlation between the dow,usd and yen.

I did direct the question to you Neil first :whistling

I did direct the question to you Neil first :whistling

Hi Mike

you are absolutely right and an apology and explanation is still owed :-

The Carry trade is pretty well known and documented now and that is where I hung my hat regarding the origins of this strategy

In times of Greed the Global equity markets were fueled by Traders borrowing from the cheaper and lower yielding Currencies to fund their leveraged positions taken....

(SELL)

Yen
USD
CHF

and in times of Consolidation and "fear" the Traders would Exit both these Equity and currency positions reversing the moves (BUY)..also the USD is the worlds global anchor currency and is in 80% of all daily pair transactions I read somewhere

People do believe in its underlying strength and endurance so it is usually where people will flee to in times of crisis which can seem contrary to the other comments here.........but no one ever said that world and its markets are a logical place !

over time and Q/E and other Government games (CHF peg) we have seen the position become much more muddled and not as clear as it used to be ..

I just happened to hang onto the Equity/Currency principle here....but have now adapted the rules a little to reflect the changing climate of currency dynamics and not to just wait for the triple alignment of DOW/USD/YEN anymore

So I still use the Dow to "steer" buying / selling the Yen or USD ...with an overide that if the USD and Yen are the same side forget what the dow is doing and trade the dynamic duo

as when these 2 currencies are on the same side there are (by simple math) opportunities to buy the opposing currencies for some profit ......and if Dow is diverging in the opposite direction to the Yen and USD thats a bonus !

Markets change and systems must do as well.......:smart:

N

Last edited:
Good morning everyone

I am sadly struggling to spend the time here that I would like due to other Work and business committments but will still pop in from time to time.....

I will focus on higher TF trading here as it is easier to monitor and manage and is naturally the basis on which all the major hedge funds in the world "Trade" so they minimise noise and transaction costs

Daily TF it is then on a 20sma ........look at the chart below .....read the instructions below in the signature area and then the added twists/comments on the chart below .......and/or read this thread from start to finish to see my T2W journey to this point ...the thread is full of input from some very very good traders if you look hard enough.......

Play with the system then add your own spin.......I suggest initially playing with the MA speed as it dramatically changes the Game the faster or slower you go

I will still be around but not as much ......and still happy to answer questions :smart:

Good Trading and Health

Neil
NVP

hey all

we' will now only talk about the dailys here as I have no time to dip in and out on lower TF's.....sorry

Ref my post earlier in the week above....this week the action has been on selling USD as Dow was in ascent ....with the shift now moving to perhaps buying YEN as Dow gets below the 20sma (??)

on the right chart the USD has had a bad week with GBP so far ruling the roost....

have a good weekend :smart:
N

Attachments

• the week.jpg
    the week.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 219
Can someone advise on my correlator settings, firstly, there is no " value settings " in the top left of the correlator,unlike Neils screenshot above. Secondly, I cant seem to get the currency colour list at the top, how is this done ? I have taken a couple of screeshots below to demonstrate what settings im seeing. I am not over familiar with MT4 so please keep any advice "pretty basic" (y) :LOL:

Attachments

• correlator pic 1.png
    correlator pic 1.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 162
  • corrolator pic 2.png
    corrolator pic 2.png
    66.7 KB · Views: 164
  • correlator 3.png
    correlator 3.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 168
hey Mike

looks like thats an old one ........I need to reload a newer version again ............80 shouldnt be on there either....s/be 20 as default ????

when i get to screens will reload it
N

meanwhile after a while you will know the colours in your sleep

You're sig is blocked out Neil, probably due to your vendor status, i think i can access it through you're profile.

and yes, im starting to remember all the colours (y)

You're sig is blocked out Neil, probably due to your vendor status, i think i can access it through you're profile.

and yes, im starting to remember all the colours (y)

your kidding me !!!!

I can see it but no one else can !!!!

Jees !!!!.............I never realised that :eek:

ok I will get it linked somehow in my settings as its all free stuff and I sell nothing these days ..the vendor was for a 6 month period when I ran some trial mentoring / training programmes .......

too much time and effort for me in truth so never again ....hahahahaha :LOL:

N

sorted now Neil, new version up and running.

found this on another forum, if anybody like me not so savvy with loading MT4 indicators.

Step By Step

1) Download/Copy/Save the FXcorrelator file's into your C:\Program Files\MetaTrader 4\experts\indicators folder.

2) Close your MetaTrader application (assuming it's currently open ... Ignore this if the application hasn't been launched)
3) Launch your MetaTrader application
4) On the left hand side, look for the "Navigator" window
5) Under the "Common" tab, look into the "Custom Indicators" directory
6) Locate the Fxcorrelator indicator which you have just downloaded into the folder stated in Step 1
7) Drag (Click and drag) the indicator onto the chart

Apologies if this has already been mentioned earlier in the thread, but i wasnt trailing through 1462 pages to look.

hey all

I never realised my signature area was still missing below ........

Just in case you didn't see the other thread Neil, it was a problem at my end why you're sig was missing, signatures were blocked in my settings, apologies for any confusion caused . (y)

mornin all

heres the dailys

With the Dow below the 20 sma I am watching for buys on USD and or Yen
although Dow had 6 consecutive days of sells last week so perhaps a little retracing may be imminent....

Yen is there already so is the one to watch for me ......USD is slowing and may be coming north as well soon

on the right side we see the weekly shows that early doors action has Yellow Yen in the Descent .....so clearly I would prefer to See Yen rising before I decided to buy it (if I wasnt in it already)

sorry - no more intra days comments Gang ....my focus these days is on longer term trading and investing .....

Have a good week
N

Attachments

• weeks action.jpg
    weeks action.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 198
hey all .............

apologies but pretty tied up ..........will catch up here later this week

N