Best Thread Correlation Trading - Basic Ideas and Strategies

and I have still not got the first idea what this damn indicator can do !!!!!

seriously everyone - thanks for all your input and I wish the day was delivering more profitablity and consistency than it seems to be.......such is trading

I hope I havnt scared Phreddy off as it was going so well !
N

lets be honest folks......you cant blame Gold for not trying to push USD and Yen higher can you...look at its efforts to fall on the 1m !.....

N

Attachments

• gold.jpg
    gold.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 231
Ive just noticed that ive achieved a "Best thread" status....:eek:

Jees.....should last about a day given todays action (tee hee):cheesy:

thanks to the T2W team for taking a peek and deeming this of interest...i will respond to all questions as they come here....and if I cant answer i'll find someone who can !

JRP....the crate of Scotch for the T2W xmas party worked !! (y)

Neil
(NVP)

Last edited:
and now all change...............jees i'm to old for this stuff

on the 30m and the 5m now you can see the gradual parabolic fall of the tag but guessing the right currency to trade against them has been problematic this afternoon

hope this sticks for a while to make some pips - (fat chance)

no doubt JRP will have some tales to tell later......
N

Attachments

• rockandroll.jpg
    rockandroll.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 196
OK....

can i just get a pound please for every time the gold line is showing extreme divergence from its 1min 20 ma and the USD is showing the opposite ?

these guys have been fine.....its been the europair (well actually the GBP) that have been crabby today !
N

Attachments

• a pound.jpg
    a pound.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 213
ok...

ignore this post....prayer is not a strategy !:D

N

Attachments

• traders prayer.jpg
    traders prayer.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 235
ok....prayer is now an official strategy.........screw correlation:clap:

N

Attachments

• do it more often .jpg
    do it more often .jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 221
doh.....got to go ....duty calls....

looks like i'm gonna miss the fun this afternoon !!!

pure fluke but look at how GBP (red) came through that yellow resistance level that we had previously used
for the Yens fall.............its a pure coincidence but I am saying that the GBP tried about 2-3 times to breach that level then exploded through........this is the GBP we love !! :love:

N

Attachments

• nice.jpg
    nice.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
heaven.....I think GBP is coming again.....but the 1.6300 is nearby

n

Attachments

• one more please .jpg
    one more please .jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 156
Hi N,

Tiddled about all afternoon finishing Christmas decorations and such stuff - no.... without blowing up house fuses or ruining wifey's favourite and cherished baubles this time! Kept a watchful eye on G/U chart for this afternoon's tradeable pair with a "target" buy at 62533 and sell at 62252 based upon the high rollover (14:30 bar area) and low rollover (13:55 bar area) respectively. Using corrie indy plus my own stuff to see which end bit the bait.

Long trade triggered during 15:50 bar which sank down 20 minutes later to only a few nerve wracking pips above initial SL, then off it motored and, as of posting this, its just taken out my TS for a 28 pip profit. Think I'll leave everything else alone for today and count myself lucky to have escaped this morning's motorway pile up!

Congrats on your thread's promotion to its new dizzy heights and a big wow on the number of hits received.

Trade well and regards,
Simon.

gotta go now to a meeting......JRP mind your language as we are a "best thread" now.....!

later
N

Hi N,

Tiddled about all afternoon finishing Christmas decorations and such stuff - no.... without blowing up house fuses or ruining wifey's favourite and cherished baubles this time! Kept a watchful eye on G/U chart for this afternoon's tradeable pair with a "target" buy at 62533 and sell at 62252 based upon the high rollover (14:30 bar area) and low rollover (13:55 bar area) respectively. Using corrie indy plus my own stuff to see which end bit the bait.

Long trade triggered during 15:50 bar which sank down 20 minutes later to only a few nerve wracking pips above initial SL, then off it motored and, as of posting this, its just taken out my TS for a 28 pip profit. Think I'll leave everything else alone for today and count myself lucky to have escaped this morning's motorway pile up!

Congrats on your thread's promotion to its new dizzy heights and a big wow on the number of hits received.

Trade well and regards,
Simon.

well done mate..............unless it gets better you'll be up on a lot of traders today
after the poor morning session !

N

BKT Weekly Special - Perception is Everything‏
Sent: 12 December 2009 08:48:57

Perception is Everything

"When the fist of fundamentals meets the face of technicals, the patient usually falls down," I announced in my typically hyperbolic fashion as were trading live in our chat room on Friday. The US Retail Sales numbers had printed much hotter than forecast and the market moved sharply higher taking USD/JPY up by 30 points in the first five minutes of post news trade.

Technicians love to point out the multitude of times when news fails to move the price in the expected direction , but when you look at those examples on a case by case basis rarely do they happen when the news produces a major surprise. Certainly news well anticipated will have minimal impact on price, as market will often adjust ahead of time to the data. However, when the news is unexpected it tends to have a meaningful impact on price action that does not get captured in the first five minutes of trade.

Financial markets are vast and it takes some time to change people's attitudes. As speculators that's all we do - we trade perception. Ironically enough there are plenty of intelligent, well reasoned voices that argue that today's Retail Sales statistics were suspect. And they may ultimately they may be proven correct. But, as snarkily pointed out in the chat room, "If reality was the standard of behavior, Sarah Palin would never be considered to be a serious candidate for the office of the Presidency."

In FX we trade perception and perception is driven by newflows and priceflow. That's why as traders we must be complete mercenaries, holding allegiance to neither techncals nor fundamentals and only act when we see an alignment in both.

good stuff...........

sprinkle in some market correlation and I'd call that a decent triple whammy !

I dont call the news events much as to be honest as I dont have the time and i'm not trading full time or professionally like other contributors who are.......

we ideally need some more troops and volunteers here and then I can start to branch this correlation thread out a little and add some more features and content ......with a little practice I see some volunteers doing a far better job than me on posting those piccies and observations during the day....more eyes see more things believe me !

c'mon what have you got to lose ? :rolleyes:
N

Houston we have a problem.........

Computer go bang this morning.....nothing ! :eek:

Not allowed corrie/metatrader on work systems so we do not have charts to look at !

if anyone wants to load some up i'll happily look and comment but until I get home PC sorted I have no charts !

Great excuse then for someone apart from me or JRP to post.......:whistling

JRP please post your usual update later.......would be appreciated !

later dudes.........possibly much later ?

N

hey all !

I notice quite a few copies out the door now downloading from page 64 post 505 of this site....good !(y)

this post below is still absolutely "spot on" in my view of the forex correlation world....any burning questions on this ? :sneaky:

I am also concious that we have recently walked a very narrow path concentrating on Scalping the Euro USD and GBP with corrie tools.....I am aware that the correlation world is not limited to this approach or indeed Timeframe so will try to bring many more ideas and observations to the table over the next few weeks

also we need to revisit the corrie Tripleplay that started off using captain currencies magical 3 ducks formula.....the USD chop that has appeared over the last few days signifies to me that the CC system may well have avoided us a lot of this pain !

we are just scraping the surface so far of correlation and its potential in gaining a trading "edge" - which is why I am eager for volunteers to take up some areas as contributors and eventually as resident experts !:smart:

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/for...ding-basic-ideas-strategies-2.html#post876536

N

Beginners Corner:

I have Eur and Gbp down on my chart: I have $ and Yen up First pic

SO, does this mean that the EUR/USD will go down? I think so see second pic

Attachments

• screen1512.gif
    screen1512.gif
    60 KB · Views: 189
  • screen1512b.gif
    screen1512b.gif
    44.2 KB · Views: 171
... also we need to revisit the corrie Tripleplay that started off using captain currencies magical 3 ducks formula.....the USD chop that has appeared over the last few days signifies to me that the CC system may well have avoided us a lot of this pain ! N

Ah, something that I do understand, can you direct me to the pages? I am quite happy to continue trolling through myself but it might be helpful to others who would like to follow.

Might also bring in some more posters!!!

Phreddy

Beginners Corner:

I have Eur and Gbp down on my chart: I have $ and Yen up First pic

SO, does this mean that the EUR/USD will go down? I think so see second pic

Phreddy to the rescue !....thanks for posting (y)

This is a 1 hour chart - a little higher TF than we usually play with but the principles are exactly the same...and actually it wont harm to not chase those pesky scalps today !

so everybody tell me what you see ....my comments on the piccy

phreddy - classic price action trading is to analyse say the 1h like this with some comments and any key support / resistance levels.....then work down to a lower TF (eg 15m or 5m) and look for opportunities when
a similar signal or Breach of levels occurs at the same time.....tihs normally produces a decent trade !

any thoughts / Ideas...questions phreddy ?

thanks again for helping !
N

Attachments

• 1 hour comments.jpg
    1 hour comments.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Hi N and everyone else,

N; thread post count vastly down today with your IT problems!

Slight choppy morning for G/U today to start off with, it had some faily wicked bars - a la ugly butty style! - and follows on from yesterday's session with indecision mixed in with volatility, so for me it was a case of widening my SLs by reducing the value per pop - ie making my lower stake per pip go further, very important in market conditions we are experiencing right now.

So, on with the show and first on the stage is....

G/U As mentioned above, reduced stake and wider SL used today. First trade entered short with sell stop order at 67217 (keyed off Frankie opening session low) and this was filled during 08:05 bar, held on during following retrace and pulled initial SL down to break even (net of spread) after 08:30 bar close and was stopped out by 08:45 bar's high for 0 pips - dead trade but didnt lose! Market bias was short so waited for price to come down again and set a sell stop at 62597 which got filled on 09:20 bar, had a hiccup on next bar, then moved down reluctantly and went up the wretched hill yet again to test my initial Sl with a MAE of some 17 pips before turning around in my favour and, at long last, going southwards. Followed price action after it had built up a head of steam with TS and decided to leave the show at 11:40 bar open after that strange sideways move - fairly decent 27 pips profit.

E/U Nice short trend and bias was obvious here for London open. Went short at 08:10 bar (previous bar had broken prior lowest low print) at 46008, realised after pressing sell button that near a dreaded zero level but market seemed to have good momentum and I only suffered a small MAE on opening bar. Price moved nicely down after pausing on that 08:15 bar and nobody "playing" seemed to give a whatsit about the zero level, got taken out with TS during the 09:05 bar for 32 pips profit. Second trade was a sell stop at 45544 which got filled during 09:25 bar, followed by yet another virtually non existent bar that had me flapping over where momentum had gone, then price punched downwards nicely, meandered a bit then a bit more and I jumped off on close of 10:30 bar for a measely 3 pips profit as that 45500 level looked like a firm holding area to me.

E/G First trade waited for the previous low area break and had sell stop of 89642 filled during 08:20 bar. Tracked price down with TS and got taken out during big 09:00 up bar for 16 pips profit. Couldnt find a decent (read sensible!) second re-entry point when price turned over again during 09:35 to 10:10 bars range, definitely didnt want to go long when price turned upwards towards midday as my reading for this pair was short bias, then ran out of time (for me and my morning session wise) but can see price now beginning to roll over again.

Rather a staggered morning for me but at least some revenge taken for past two sessions. For this afternoon when our cousins across the pond join in on the bun fight, I'll be watching E/U closely for any setups but will (at usual PM reduced stake) be looking for scalps in small bite sizes, using corrie plus my own stuff, unless market can shake itself out of this indecision phase and start giving some decent trend runs.

Trade well and regards,
Simon.

Ah, something that I do understand, can you direct me to the pages? I am quite happy to continue trolling through myself but it might be helpful to others who would like to follow.

Might also bring in some more posters!!!

Phreddy

hey phreddy...boy are you keen ! (y)

here she is....the 3 ducks is a very simple moving average system and the thread is here on this site posted by Captain currency....

our idea here is to use the corrie with the settings above to detect trades just the same way !

so 3 corries needed .... all on a 60ma and a delta 1 setting (a simple 60 moving avergage)..... 4h TF , 1H TF (like the one you are using) and a 5m TF

( note - the current setting you are using is a 1000 ma and 1 delta)

to start off slow just use the 4 currencies you have up already and see if you can detect any current or recent trading signals where one currency is either above(or below) another in all 3 TF's .....that is a 3 ducks trading signal.........

share any things if you can or any questions you have
N

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/for...ing-basic-ideas-strategies-54.html#post991332