Best Thread Correlation Trading - Basic Ideas and Strategies

"To be honest, unless I was already positioned short from an earlier entry"

he was already positioned ... short ????? this guy never had a single trade !
"So, had I been traded, how would I have managed the session?
Let's zoom in on the period of 'crash'...
To be honest, unless I was already positioned short from an earlier entry I would likely have missed the real panic selling phase which started around 04:42. As I'm not willing to chase price there just wasn't an entry opportunity beyond that point."

heres Lances take on it....a great trader and a great website

http://www.yourtradingcoach.com/Articles-General/Panic-6-May-2010.html

Thanks Neil, he seems like a genuine bloke with an interesting site.
I like this article http://www.yourtradingcoach.com/Articles-Psychology/trading-psychology-from-a-9-year-old.html in particular. No matter how puffed up & egotistical traders become, there's a huge amount of luck involved in success or failure. Last night's spike (and yesterday afternoon's moves) are like miniature Black Swans. No amount of expertise forewarns you about them happening, and they're even tough to explain after the event.
Risk exposure & money management are far more important than our ability (real or imagined) to predict the markets.

Thanks Neil, he seems like a genuine bloke with an interesting site.
I like this article http://www.yourtradingcoach.com/Articles-Psychology/trading-psychology-from-a-9-year-old.html in particular. No matter how puffed up & egotistical traders become, there's a huge amount of luck involved in success or failure. Last night's spike (and yesterday afternoon's moves) are like miniature Black Swans. No amount of expertise forewarns you about them happening, and they're even tough to explain after the event.
Risk exposure & money management are far more important than our ability (real or imagined) to predict the markets.

totally agree..

trading has luck attached to it as we do use (hopefully :whistling) high probability scenarios where we are gambling on a pattern to continue or reverse based on historic data we have observed.

so as GMP says arm yourselves with your wits and experience, money management and a damn good system to ensure you trade when the conditions are in your favour......

I also call market behavior "semirandomness" or even "predictable unpredictablility" .....(although not after a couple of beers :p )

having grown up in a very Gambling orientated family of Bookmakers I am totally comfortable labelling my trading calls as gambling.....although there are many traders that probably deem themselves above your average punter in the high street Bookies...

Ive met a lot of professional gamblers in my life and believe me the good ones eliminate as much chance/luck as possible from the chosen outcome....but you can only control so much and then its down to lady luck and circumstance.

Also the playing field of choice is ultra important as its key to optimising the odds in your favour....

why play the roulette wheel when poker or blackjack has better odds to return your money ?

why bet on a Handicap race with 18 glue factory candidates when theres a lovely 2 year old in a maiden stakes race with just 8 horses running ?

why play any sport bet or engineered gambling site when the Forex market is pure and (relatively) "unfixable"
(even Japanese/Swiss Bank intervention can be factored into the pot relatively painlessly)

Why trade the US Equity markets when you understand and appreciate the nuances more of the G8 forex market and trade in a nice timezone ?......etc etc

Why trade the cr*p games on Betfair when their Baccarat site was paying out thousands to people who new what they were doing on particular computer dealt hands (they closed that option down recently - :cry: DOH !)

Still - a punt is a punt so lets not get pedantic here.....but like the great
golfer Gary Player always says ...

the more I practice - the luckier i get !

later....
N

Last edited:
Hi all

good to see so many guests around....sorry no peanuts to offer you all (y)

alongside myself, GMP and Alan - We have a resident gunslinger (JRP) who is very poorly at the moment so the content here is a little light - best wishes to JRP - get well soon mate ! :cool:

meanwhile heres the corrie take on the weeks action through a Hybrid 1h chart ....nice Yen and USD buys all week with multiple options to thump the G6 ....except NZD (light blue) which is still kicking ARS* (why we all ask ?)....

who cares - trade what you see thats our motto here.....I dont care if the Greek people decide next week to wear their pants on the outside and all call themselves Ralph, if the Euro moves upwards and the indicators say buy...I buy Euro ! :smart:

i'm working on my stuff over the weekend and we are away at the coast again...

if it rains i will virtually finish it :)clap:) if its sunny I get dragged for endless walks on the beach practising for my success videos (sorry all - an in joke if you have watched any Jason fielder seminars :p )

have good weekends all !
N

Attachments

• the week that was .jpg
    the week that was .jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Get well soon JRP - you're missing all the action!
Today's EOD report: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trading-journals/91616-icc-forex-system-testing.html#post1121676
Mental results these last two days. I should package it up and sell it using these results only. On the other hand, if this keeps up I wouldn't have to... hang on, why do people sell systems??Cheers - Gavin

ego mate ....thats gonna be my excuse :eek:

(oh yeah and watching others sell very spookily similar stuff....so I may as well do it myself and keep the costs down to the subscribers)

have a good weekend (y)
N

Get well soon JRP - you're missing all the action!
Today's EOD report: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trading-journals/91616-icc-forex-system-testing.html#post1121676
Mental results these last two days. I should package it up and sell it using these results only. On the other hand, if this keeps up I wouldn't have to... hang on, why do people sell systems??
Cheers - Gavin

goddam boy

yur goin straight to hell if yer keep trading that GBP YEN pair....the volatility will bite you in
the end :whistling

nice results though....you've had worse days ! (y)
N

Attachments

• nice results.jpg
    nice results.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 145
goddam boy

yur goin straight to hell if yer keep trading that GBP YEN pair....the volatility will bite you in
the end :whistling

nice results though....you've had worse days ! (y)
N

Yeah, I doubt there'll be many better days than the last two - just a shame they're mostly demo account trades. It'll take me a while to build up the margins and the confidence to have three simultaneous trades on.
Those Yen crosses are risky, but the pay-off is worth it!
Have a good weekend - Gavin

Just for all to remember.........."the more you practise, the LUCKIER you get." "Luck as defined by the posts above, has nothing to do with it.

NVP, I have a question for you please. I have only just "found" this Thread and in #Post 19 (longgggggggggggggg way to go still) you said......."hitting the 200/3-wall"

Is this proverbial "wall" the zero-line?

My friends and I are using a different technique, but I like your indicator very much. Especially for days when the Cable stands still and the crosses run. I trade the Cable exclusively, but would love to get "in on the act" if the EUR/JPY starts running.

Been trading for 9 years, 6 of which full-time.

Would appreciate hearing from you.

NVP, I have a question for you please. I have only just "found" this Thread and in #Post 19 (longgggggggggggggg way to go still) you said......."hitting the 200/3-wall"

My friends and I are using a different technique, but I like your indicator very much. Especially for days when the Cable stands still and the crosses run. I trade the Cable exclusively, but would love to get "in on the act" if the EUR/JPY starts running.

hey mate - welcome !

wow - post 19 eh? .....lets have a peek

ok it was a FXCorrelaton 200ma / delta 3 setting so a relatively high ma with a little smoothing applied (1 Delta is fast....higher the delta = smoother the line)

remember there are 2 key crosses to watch for on the basic FXCorrelators

1) crosses to the Zero - this is when the particular currency become stronger(X above) or weaker (X below) than the average price of the whole G8 family in total for the particular MA/Delta being used

2) Currency crosses relates only to when the 2 currencies in question crossover based on the MA/delta being used.....

on post 19 I was referring to the rising GBP trying to breach above its Crosses on the falling yen and the falling USD...which it didnt , it hit a wall and got bounced back down, which you would see on the particular paircharts using that MA/delta combination (put a 200ma and a 3 ma on the pairs charts and you will see them kissing but then retracng back

keep reading the thread Hercs....the corny (but fun) music comments eventualy end and we get down to more and more serious business as the thread gets momentum

cheers
N

....which everyone in corrie terms is when these dudes are running together in same direction :smart:

I would recommend trading the Euro against them in those situations....but thats another story :sneaky:

N

jesus

the cr*p weather has pushed the documentation along a treat....32 pages now completed with all my babies in the mix

boring as hell though...wont be doing this again in a hurry :eek:

N

does he play golf as well ?

N

only kidding - still trying to understand the damn book myself :p

actually on the subject of books ....has anyone read that freakanomics stuff ?

jees - talk about stating the bleeding obvious....

marketeering b*ll**** at its very best (dont tell Jason Fielder then :rolleyes:)

N

hi al

later start as I have to get to work from the sussex coast....:sleep:

well well .....the markets said up overnight (nikkei and DJ30 futures) and Euro/Brit Equities got stuck in this morning with good rallies

so lets see what happens next ....formula stuff then with the Tag Team falling in response and only poor GBP getting smacked down with them (gosh I wonder why :whistling)

welcome to the week everyone !
NVP

Attachments

• new week.jpg
    new week.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 162
Scalping action earlier this morning on our Free little corrie Scalper :smart:

commdolls buys were on the menu then....a little exotic and more painful spreads....but Scalping usd against the eurozone was not for me on the cards as they were mainly falling at 8.17am (and Swissie is not a favourite scalping currency for me as bugger all volatility to kick against the USD)

If you just like to trade set currencies such as the ole G/U and E/U crosses....then wait till they line up !

later all
N

ps I am now 34 pages into my corrie documentation:eek:......i'm crosseyed but its going well and I am on track for full completion in May (y)

Attachments

• scalping commdolls.jpg
    scalping commdolls.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 180
heres that AUD/USD trade so far.....as a scalper I would be targeting a lot less pips than this but if you do get lucky enough to get a move, then run a S/L behind the price....and let it run until the luck runs out

theres been nearly 100 pips delivered since 8.18gmt by selling the USD into the 3 commdolls...nice !

a Yen/Commdolls trade was even better as (surprise surprise :whistling) the yen fell faster than the USD......

but thats another scalping story as you well know :smart:
N

Attachments

• 30 pips up.jpg
    30 pips up.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 134
hey G/U fans .....best things are worth waiting for !

the 1min actually came on at 8.29 but 5 min was lagging a little - decisions decisions !

NVP

I have explained these strategies in much more detail in my documentation, plus loads more robust ideas and strategies I have discovered eyeballing the FXCorrelator over the last year or more :smart:

Attachments

• nice GU buy.jpg
    nice GU buy.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 130