Best Thread Capital Spreads

tar
you are well aware that your comment is bollox. if you give me ur account number i will happily put your audit trail up here to show that this is just not true.

on a 1 pip price the underlying is effectively the same as the futures market. try trading on an exchange when you are taking a finite offer/bid

if the price moves against you in the futures market as you buy/sell of course you get filled because someone is trading against you(welcome to the real world) if it moves for you as you trade then you will in most liklihood miss a few trades.

in minitraders experience it is more likley that there is some latency. and the dow has been hopping about quite a bit recently. this is the never ending problem with ever tighter spreads..... the tighter the spread the greater the chance that the trade will be rejected as being outside the spread when received by the trade system.

i have to say though that the problem experienced by mini is not general (or this thread would be full of it)

simon

Last edited:
Welcome to Capitalspreads no surprise here ! you have to price this in your trading costs , obviously the real cost here is more than the one point spread that CS do advertise , i would say the real spread is more like 4 points in average if not more , it depends on the volatility ...
The real spread might not be 1 point spread (in reference to the YM future) but much less than 2 point spread. This coming from someone who actually trades live with them I would say 1,5 point spread. Still this is very good considering the execution model they adopt with no slippage whatsoever. The question here is not the spread but if he/she have an interference buy a dealer on the trades. So my question is what kind of stake is he/she betting? Him/she being a short term trader is no doubt in my mind.

tar
you are well aware that your comment is bollox. if you give me ur account number i will happily put your audit trail up here to show that this is just not true.

on a 1 pip price the underlying is effectively the same as the futures market. try trading on an exchange when you are taking a finite offer/bid

if the price moves against you in the futures market as you buy/sell of course you get filled because someone is trading against you(welcome to the real world) if it moves for you as you trade then you will in most liklihood miss a few trades.

in minitraders experience it is more likley that there is some latency. and the dow has been hopping about quite a bit recently. this is the never ending problem with ever tighter spreads..... the tighter the spread the greater the chance that the trade will be rejected as being outside the spread when received by the trade system.

i have to say though that the problem experienced by mini is not general (or this thread would be full of it)

simon
The problem is there is no latency issue at all me trading from Sweden. Yes a few rejections but really no problem. The guy is from the UK, at least that is what his profile say, so he should have even faster access to the servers.

gle

mmmm .. common sense would say you are correct (and most of the time you are) but in reality some links can go through truly unbelievable routes around the globe.

simon

tar

simon
What do you mean by his comment is bollox? What do you mean by you're essentially the same as the futures market? What do you mean by if price moves against you when you click a market order, you will miss trades?

Reactions: tar
What do you mean by his comment is bollox? What do you mean by you're essentially the same as the futures market? What do you mean by if price moves against you when you click a market order, you will miss trades?
Yes I agree with Simon, tars comment on the post was not very well thought over. And coming from someone that do not even trade with CS says it all.

Yes I agree with Simon, tars comment on the post was not very well thought over. And coming from someone that do not even trade with CS says it all.

Really? I thought Simon's post was more absurd.

As tar pointed out, the real cost of trading with them is much more than 1 point. Do you disagree?

Reactions: tar
Really? I thought Simon's post was more absurd.

As tar pointed out, the real cost of trading with them is much more than 1 point. Do you disagree?
I suggest you read my earlier post on the matter. Compared to the YM future I would say 1,5 half point spread (based on my live trading). The thing is CS have got the best execution model in the industry in my opinion so that makes it a very good deal.

I suggest you read my earlier post on the matter. Compared to the YM future I would say 1,5 half point spread (based on my live trading). The thing is CS have got the best execution model in the industry in my opinion so that makes it a very good deal.

Which industry? The Spreadbet industry?

Also tar was right, the real costs are higher than 1 point. I don't know whether they are 4 points or not, but if a market order is rejected because it is going your way, then they could well be, because you may have missed out on a very profitable trade.

Which industry? The Spreadbet industry?

Also tar was right, the real costs are higher than 1 point. I don't know whether they are 4 points or not, but if a market order is rejected because it is going your way, then they could well be, because you may have missed out on a very profitable trade.
I thought it was obvious we are talking about the SB industry. Tars talk about 4 point spread on the Dow is just crazy. If you can't handle trade rejections with a 1 point spread on the Dow move to the real futures. Of course, then you have to pay commission as well, and might encounter some slippage.

]shakone

yes i do disagree.... plus the fact (as i suspect you are well aware) you put a little word in your first comment....

you said "if you click a market order" on the futures exchange..which means that you will be filled at the best price available. Not that you will be filled at the price as currently displayed.

unfortunately the SB market makers do not have this option open to them (except when a sitting order is triggered/which, when u think about it, is what an exchange "market order" acyually is). When a client asks to 'trade' at 10345 in the Wall Street we MUST fill him at this price and no other or reject the trade.

we cannot say "oh you have missed 45 but we have filled you at 47"... because the client might not want to trade at this price.

the absolute spread on Capital Spreads for the wall street conract is 1 ...sometimes it works for u and sometimes not... but i test the platform from all over the world and hadly ever miss a trade.. and when i mean hardly ever this is what i mean.... even on mobile if i have a reasonable connection.

simon

I thought it was obvious we are talking about the SB industry. Tars talk about 4 point spread on the Dow is just crazy. If you can't handle trade rejections with a 1 point spread on the Dow move to the real futures. Of course, then you have to pay commission as well, and might encounter some slippage.

Why is it crazy? If you miss a fill which would have given you a large part of your profits for the day/week/month, then what is the cost of trading on a platform like that? Could be quite high.

]shakone

yes i do disagree.... plus the fact (as i suspect you are well aware) you put a little word in your first comment....

you said "if you click a market order" on the futures exchange..which means that you will be filled at the best price available. Not that you will be filled at the price as currently displayed.

unfortunately the SB market makers do not have this option open to them (except when a sitting order is triggered/which, when u think about it, is what an exchange "market order" acyually is). When a client asks to 'trade' at 10345 in the Wall Street we MUST fill him at this price and no other or reject the trade.

we cannot say "oh you have missed 45 but we have filled you at 47"... because the client might not want to trade at this price.

the absolute spread on Capital Spreads for the wall street conract is 1 ...sometimes it works for u and sometimes not... but i test the platform from all over the world and hadly ever miss a trade.. and when i mean hardly ever this is what i mean.... even on mobile if i have a reasonable connection.

simon

Are you saying there's no negative slippage allowed on your platform?

Why is it crazy? If you miss a fill which would have given you a large part of your profits for the day/week/month, then what is the cost of trading on a platform like that? Could be quite high.
Well, if you can't handle a missed fill with CS, there is a option to trade with some other SB that will give you a fill. I have tried the 1 point spread with some other SB, but I prefer CS, why, because I get the price clicked on and do not get slippage. If trade rejections with CS is a problem, I would also move on, but according to my experience trading 100 of trades (1 point on the Dow) with CS it is not an issue at all.

Last edited:
No SB provider could realistically guarantee to give an instant, fixed 1pt spread on an underlying market with a 1pt minimum spread. Even if it's effectively 2pt that's still a good deal. Don't complain too much, or we'll be going back to the bad old days of 4pt with 50% slippage!

No SB provider could realistically guarantee to give an instant, fixed 1pt spread on an underlying market with a 1pt minimum spread. Even if it's effectively 2pt that's still a good deal. Don't complain too much, or we'll be going back to the bad old days of 4pt with 50% slippage!
Ha ha.

Guys for god sake , my comment relates to CS and other brokers as well , your trading cost is not just the advertised spread it should be = spread+slippage+rejections effect+dealer referral effect + platform outage effect , so yes if you get what you see without any of these then your cost is 1 point but that's not the reality , i was generous when i said 4 points i would suspect it is much more than that in days like yesterday , i cant believe we are arguing about this .
Gle if you don't get these rejections then that's good but that doesn't mean others don't : maybe you trade counter-trend and others trade breakouts , maybe u trade small and others trade 100p/p , maybe you are not profitable and others make 1K a day , my comment relates to minitrader experience ...
I have to say having tried the facility over the last couple of days the amount of failures to execute trades on the daily dow becasue the price has moved in my favour is very frustrating, when I see the market run away from a position I click to exit and it says no and again, and likewise when trying to lock in profit, however they appear to execute no problem if the market moves agsint me ?:(, I found limits to be the only way which sadly doesnt suit my style of trading.

shakone
what is the cost of any trading?

on the exchnage if you trade and there is no offer you will not get the fill or if you do market orders you may very well get constsnt slippage.

on Capital Spreads you will only not get the fill in normal circumstances if the trade request is outside the spread when the price engine receives your trade instruction.

so on the dow it would only be rejected if you tried to buy at 13044.0-13045.0 and the bid/offer was 13045.1-46.1 (i.e 13045.1 is higher than 13045.0) by the time the price engine engine got the instruction. So against these times when you might get rejected must also be mentioned the massive number of times when you get a fill at your requested price with Capital Spreads when you would have had to pay up on an exchange.

the problem for us is that the clients just cannot see these events and so only concentrate on the rare rejections.

simon

shakone
what is the cost of any trading?

on the exchnage if you trade and there is no offer you will not get the fill or if you do market orders you may very well get constsnt slippage.

on Capital Spreads you will only not get the fill in normal circumstances if the trade request is outside the spread when the price engine receives your trade instruction.

so on the dow it would only be rejected if you tried to buy at 13044.0-13045.0 and the bid/offer was 13045.1-46.1 (i.e 13045.1 is higher than 13045.0) by the time the price engine engine got the instruction. So against these times when you might get rejected must also be mentioned the massive number of times when you get a fill at your requested price with Capital Spreads when you would have had to pay up on an exchange.

the problem for us is that the clients just cannot see these events and so only concentrate on the rare rejections.

simon

One thing I would like to know is how these decimals are derived?