Can you be long and short at same time?

Thats where I want to go sooner or later.
Recommend any CME spreads (tickers welcome)?
How about this:
http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/interest-rates/sovereign-yield-spread-futures.html

Cheers for any info / feedback :)

Interesting - includes tickers:
http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/interest-rates/files/Sovy-Contract-Specifications.pdf

http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/interest-rates/files/Sovereign-Yield-Spread-Futures-Overview.pdf

As a footnote, I wonder if anyone who advocates long and short has noticed
the key bullet points of sovys:
CME said:
10-Year Sovys futures make trading and monitoring of sovereign bond
spread positions:

Simpler
More cost-effective
More efficient than ever before
http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/interest-rates/sovereign-yield-spread-futures.html

Page 12 - Transaction Cost Efficiency:
http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/interest-rates/files/Sovereign-Yield-Spread-Futures-Overview.pdf

Historical data:
www.cmegroup.com/trading/interest-rates/files/Sovys-Hist.xls

Any other suggestions welcome, this looks pretty good to me.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
That's a benefit?

I really love to be told I've got to put a trade on, particularly when I haven't got a clue as to what position I want to take. It's even better if the longer I put it off the more I have to pay in financing costs.

I look at those guys who are flat and don't have to trade with disdain. If only they saw the benefits of HAVING to trade.

On the rare occaision that I don't end up punting for the sake of it, I close both legs out at the same time and pay away the spread again. I think that's a pretty fair price for being told I HAVE to trade. I mean, I could just trade as and when I see an opportunity, but that's for pussies.

I absolutely concede that you can do this anyway with your OPTION to trade and I have never suggested otherwise.

Missed this.

So you agree that you can do both trades either your way or my way, but that your way guaruntees that you will cross the spread again, and my way doesn't.

You are choosing "guarunteed costs" over the "possibility of costs".

Anyone who can't see why this is a daft idea really should go back to the drawing board.

Missed this.

So you agree that you can do both trades either your way or my way, but that your way guaruntees that you will cross the spread again, and my way doesn't.

You are choosing "guarunteed costs" over the "possibility of costs".

Anyone who can't see why this is a daft idea really should go back to the drawing board.

Thats true your costs will double if you choose to "hedge" instead of just closing your position , however if you are trading 2 very different time frames at the same time " Weekly and 15 min " your costs are nearly the same ...

Last edited:
:LOL:

Attachments

• Someone is wrong on internet.png
    Someone is wrong on internet.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 180
Thats true your costs will double if you choose to "hedge" instead of just closing your position , however if you are trading 2 very different time frames at the same time " Weekly and 15 min " your costs are nearly the same ...

The opportunites to make a profit/loss are identical for each approach, except that one approach will incur lower costs than the other. Fact.

It isn't any more complicated than that.

I'll say it till I'm blue in the face because it's true.

Pros?

90% of tarders blow their accounts, but by adopting teh shlong strat you could immediately be in a position to loose only slightly more than those who never make a tarde.

Ok, so maybe it's a bit late, but I would like to a issue a call for some civility here. If we can't have a proper discussion without insulting the other side, then I'll be closing this thread.

-----

That said, yes, you can be both long/short at the same time at the discretion of your broker. I don't personally have any use for it, though, as it does increase your costs.

But if it works for you and you're making money, hey, more power to ya.

I am talking about having a long term position and scalping at the same time ...

The opportunites to make a profit/loss are identical for each approach, except that one approach will incur lower costs than the other. Fact.

It isn't any more complicated than that.

I'll say it till I'm blue in the face because it's true.

You don't say???

Thread is TLDR.

Can anybody do a short recap of what has happened so far and who has got banned in the process?

Thread is TLDR.

Can anybody do a short recap of what has happened so far and who has got banned in the process?

I ain't been banned... yet.

RECAP:

Someone asked about being long and short the came ccy pair in the same account.

We all agree that brokers "allow" you to do it, although the validity of this is subject to question.

Then some people (who really should know better) came out and said that you could do it and there were benefits to doing so.

Then other people (who do know better) said that was balls, and explained why.

Then I saw timsks post and opened up a can of whoopass on him, because he was making posts that were just plain wrong. Barjon tried to help him out but to little avail.

Me, Shakone, Cablemonster, LV, teh hare (RIP) and some others (sorry if I forgot you) explained why it's a stupid thing to do, assuming you want to make money.

Them some others disagreed.

Then we explained our arguments in more ways and then more ways until they understood.

Now - hopefully - those what didn't know about it before do, and those what were talkin rubbish are being quiet.

Me and timsk had some nasty exchanges behind the scenes but that's par for the course because he's just as bad as me, except wrong.

Now I'm gonna make new thread on common mistakes and carry on lulzing.

XXX