Brexit and the Consequences

Ruling was not about Brexit but the relationship between Parliament and Government in power and how it conducts her business.

It was constitutional not political.

Nothing to do with Brexit. Brexit was just the vehicle for the debate as an example so to speak.

Unless parliament is bound by law to the results of the referendum, it does have at least something to do with Brexit.

Unless parliament is bound by law to the results of the referendum, it does have at least something to do with Brexit.

Well that's the point. It's not bound to the referendum.

Referendum was simple guidance.

Parliaement now must produce a white paper for the case pros and cons and take a vote.

White papers are policy documents produced by the Government that set out their proposals for future legislation. White Papers are often published as Command Papers and may include a draft version of a Bill that is being planned.

More mature debate will 'have to' take place.

Parliaement now must produce a white paper for the case pros and cons and take a vote.

White papers are policy documents produced by the Government that set out their proposals for future legislation. White Papers are often published as Command Papers and may include a draft version of a Bill that is being planned.

More mature debate will 'have to' take place.

Correct – and that's the way it is.

But if Parliament votes NOT to Brexit, it will precipitate a constitutional crisis most likely resulting in a General election. That is probably the Remainers' best hope. All the signs are at the moment that subject to a lot of shilly-shallying, Brexit will get Parliamentary approval.

However, ........... you never know, that could all change – nothing quite as interesting as politics!

That may be true in theory Atilla, but it doesn't apply in practice. Every MP in the land knows it would be political suicide to go against the will of the democratic majority that they are elected to serve. Therefore, they'll vote accordingly. The whole court case brought by Gina Miller & Co has just been an expensive and time wasting charade that changes nothing viz a viz the referendum, Article 50 and Brexit in general.
Tim.

Correct – and that's the way it is.

But if Parliament votes NOT to Brexit, it will precipitate a constitutional crisis most likely resulting in a General election. That is probably the Remainers' best hope. All the signs are at the moment that subject to a lot of shilly-shallying, Brexit will get Parliamentary approval.

However, ........... you never know, that could all change – nothing quite as interesting as politics!

If they're smart, they'll track the consequences of Trump's actions re the TPP and NAFTA and apply those lessons to their deliberations. Assuming that they are not so rapt by navel-gazing as Americans are.

If they're smart, they'll track the consequences of Trump's actions re the TPP and NAFTA and apply those lessons to their deliberations. Assuming that they are not so rapt by navel-gazing as Americans are.

I was thinking the same yes. Should provide a good indication.

China will benefit from US exit I reckon.

I also fear our trade agreement with the US and acceptance of TTIP which EU has rejected.

I was thinking the same yes. Should provide a good indication.

China will benefit from US exit I reckon.

I also fear our trade agreement with the US and acceptance of TTIP which EU has rejected.

Expect soon a formal announcement that Trump will exit the TTIP. What then?

Expect soon a formal announcement that Trump will exit the TTIP. What then?

Great imo as it's a bad deal for us in UK and EU.

I would encourage and recommend US adhere to some of our EU directives, rules and recommendations to raise their standards.

That will also benefit all US citizens. (y)

That may be true in theory Atilla, but it doesn't apply in practice. Every MP in the land knows it would be political suicide to go against the will of the democratic majority that they are elected to serve. Therefore, they'll vote accordingly. The whole court case brought by Gina Miller & Co has just been an expensive and time wasting charade that changes nothing viz a viz the referendum, Article 50 and Brexit in general.
Tim.

First time I've seen a decent Labour opposition in Parliament.

Moreover, Theresa May could have accepted the judges verdict 82 days ago, as announced in Parliament just now instead of challenging and villifying the judges with the Daily Trash.

Appauling abuse of power, waste of time and cost, yes agreed.

TM and the Tory party has been 'ordered' by the highest court in the land not to undermine Parliament.

Why would you say she as Government leader challenged the judges in the first place? :whistling

Tim.

I do not believe that it has been a waste of time, Tim, if one wants important decisions to be taken by Parliament in the future. This is a matter of principle.

I, do agree, however, that MPs will think twice before going against their constituents. If they do, and Brexit is not passed, I cannot see any solution other than general elections.

I do not believe that it has been a waste of time, Tim, if one wants important decisions to be taken by Parliament in the future. This is a matter of principle.

I, do agree, however, that MPs will think twice before going against their constituents. If they do, and Brexit is not passed, I cannot see any solution other than general elections.

That would depend at least in part on the views of constituents now as opposed to the views of constituents then.

And on their purpose. Elections are themselves referendums.

Well elections are temp licenses to rule.

Referendums are usually set questions on a single matter. Bit like a pulse check.

Considerable differences.

Well elections are temp licenses to rule.

Referendums are usually set questions on a single matter. Bit like a pulse check.

Considerable differences.

Depends on whether or not there is a "constitutional crisis" which results in elections.

Of course it's been seven months now so who knows what the constituents' views are currently?
Well dbp, now that the lies and doom mongering of project fear have been exposed, there's a strong movement in favour of leave. If another referendum was held now, instead of 52 : 48 voting in favour of Brexit, the result would be much nearer 68 : 32!
:LOL:

Well dbp, now that the lies and doom mongering of project fear have been exposed, there's a strong movement in favour of leave. If another referendum was held now, instead of 52 : 48 voting in favour of Brexit, the result would be much nearer 68 : 32!
:LOL:

Based on . . .

No white paper from Davies. Just a vote to trigger Article 50.

No analysis of what they are going for. Real slap dash bully boy antics. :(