Asian Coronavirus Outbreak

I don't think it was the Covid but he hasn't posted for over a year so I fear the worst. . .
I PM'd him in January last year as c_v had noted (on the Brexit thread, I think) that he hadn't posted since November 2018. I never received a reply which is most uncharacteristic of him - as is not posting on the forums. So, I too fear the worst. He was well into his 80s I believe - so he had a reasonable innings.
He was a long standing and much valued T2W member - RIP Splitlink.
Tim.

Splitlink was the one who often raised the issue of population over growth and dangers it posed.

I always thought as the distribution of income and science got better that similar to Western observations other countries would eventually have declining birth rates to stop the rise.

Didn't expect a new virus to limit old age. Mother nature knows best.

future.jpg

Splitlink was the one who often raised the issue of population over growth and dangers it posed.

I always thought as the distribution of income and science got better that similar to Western observations other countries would eventually have declining birth rates to stop the rise.

Didn't expect a new virus to limit old age. Mother nature knows best.

Old age is what limits old age, the death rate from Covid is insignificant, to think it has any population control properties is just a theory.

Old age is what limits old age, the death rate from Covid is insignificant, to think it has any population control properties is just a theory.

The death rate of the elderly over the young is what may be termed statistically significant.

Hopefully, it will lead to humans living healthier lives.

I seem to remember an experiment years ago about - what happens when too many rats are in too small a space with no food.
They fought each other to the death and the few survivors became cannibal.--
Perhaps the rich will be the survivors, robots doing the chores and a few maintenance staff as needed.
This could be a dry run for a super bug aaaaaaaaaaaah !!

Mother nature knows best.
Perhaps, but it's not so much that, as humans being unwilling to know better.

As a species, we face an array of varying, mostly undesirable, choices in order to conserve rather than exploit limited resources and restrain rather than fuel growth.

Such as:

Stop population increasing. - No chance of that, lol.

Curb CO2 emissions. - No chance of that either, ;)

Only use resources at sustainable rates. - :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

One could go on ......

The point is, it doesn't matter a jot to 'Mother Nature' if we do or don't.

Because if we don't, then you may rest assured, 'Mother Nature' will.

- and in that eventuality, our preferred choices become immaterial, as good old 'Mother Nature' will be making them for us.

After all, the planet we so arrogantly refer to as 'our' home was thriving perfectly well without us on it for several billion years.

😷

I seem to remember an experiment years ago about - what happens when too many rats are in too small a space with no food.
They fought each other to the death and the few survivors became cannibal.--
Perhaps the rich will be the survivors, robots doing the chores and a few maintenance staff as needed.
This could be a dry run for a super bug aaaaaaaaaaaah !!

I'm not sure about this outlook.

It could be argued whilst the rich have access to resources, medicine and vacines etc., the poor might have a better chance of resisting the bug because of stronger immunity. Being out doors and exposed to sh1t as one grows up makes one stronger imo. On the other hand living in clean sterile environments avoiding bugs makes one sort of delicate and sensitive to the outside world.

Should provide good data for future generations.

The death rate of the elderly over the young is what may be termed statistically significant.

Relative to what? In the order of things, what are the major causes of death to the elderly and where does Covid-19 fall in that list, and that list needs to be presented when the stats actually have some meaning that the majority have agreed really make sense, in reality.

Relative to what? In the order of things, what are the major causes of death to the elderly and where does Covid-19 fall in that list, and that list needs to be presented when the stats actually have some meaning that the majority have agreed really make sense, in reality.

Deaths relative to age of the victim. Predominantly, older the person higher the % of deaths due to Covid.

% rates go up above 50+.

Appreciate more old people die than young but referring to those deaths with Covid-19. Hope this doesn't go into died with Covid-19 or from it debate.

Deaths relative to age of the victim. Predominantly, older the person higher the % of deaths due to Covid.

% rates go up above 50+.

This holds true for everything not just Covid. How does it compare to death rates from everything else, where in the league of death does Covid figure amongst all the other causes of death?

The world can have both population decline and economic growth at the same time. In fact it would be the best thing to happen to humanity.

I would hate to see what would happen to the environment if poor third world countries grew their economies until they had a western style living standard but kept their population numbers the same.

You may be right. Years ago, The Economist magazine said that rising living standards and the education of women leads families to limit the number of children that they have. You can keep the guys as dumb as you want but when women get educated they choose to have fewer children.

This holds true for everything not just Covid. How does it compare to death rates from everything else, where in the league of death does Covid figure amongst all the other causes of death?

I see what you mean.

Influenza, like in all the other years kills more of the aged than the young.

Perhaps what we need to consider is if 2019/20 %ages are in the same ratio as of those for 1999 and 2014/15 when deaths were 45 / 48K respectively.

At the moment whilst we are above average at approx., 33K we are not peak what was experienced in these previous two years.

Clubs, pubs and cafes allowed 10 people to sit down and eat meals at the weekend in Queensland.
Guess what none of them bothered opening in my area.

Clubs, pubs and cafes allowed 10 people to sit down and eat meals at the weekend in Queensland.
Guess what none of them bothered opening in my area.
Why would you when you can get paid for sitting on your arse on a guaranteed wage and the business doesn’t have to take any risk? - some of the “casuals” are earning a lot more on handouts than they would breaking their proverbials working.
Does not bode well for the scomo “SnapBack” to work and normality!
The trouble was, although the handout were predicated on the decline of business due to restrictions - which was all well and good, they ( Australia’s finest - ie politicians🤡) forgot to put a taper clause aligned to business activity picking up - and just set an arbitrary six month period.
Try weaning the masses off that up to and after 6 months - good luck with that!
After Australia, apparently only Qatar has a more generous overall package of subsidies to business and individuals etc - wonder who will be paying for this in the future?

At the moment whilst we are above average at approx., 33K we are not peak what was experienced in these previous two years.

And the 33K figure is questionable, there will be a percentage of deaths that have been attributed to Covid by doctors under govt instruction because of the pandemic. In a normal year many of those deaths would have been spread around all the other usual causes, but because of Covid many more will have needlessly been attributed to Covid when the real cause was something else.

Then we have the lockup deaths to take into account, which is a brand new category of death, so while someone may have died of cancer because of a lack of treatment caused by the lockdown will they also have 'died with lockdown' recorded on their death certificate in the same way that someone with cancer who died with covid will have 'died with covid' added to their death certificate (who had died from cancer)?

And the 33K figure is questionable, there will be a percentage of deaths that have been attributed to Covid by doctors under govt instruction because of the pandemic. In a normal year many of those deaths would have been spread around all the other usual causes, but because of Covid many more will have needlessly been attributed to Covid when the real cause was something else.

Then we have the lockup deaths to take into account, which is a brand new category of death, so while someone may have died of cancer because of a lack of treatment caused by the lockdown will they also have 'died with lockdown' recorded on their death certificate in the same way that someone with cancer who died with covid will have 'died with covid' added to their death certificate (who had died from cancer)?
I said in an earlier post that doctors had been told not to record as corvid where underlying reasons. It turns out that was just one hospital trust which had gone against government guidance.
Here’s the government “instruction” which is not as devious as you appear imply:

• •
Referring deaths to the coroner
Covid-19 is an acceptable direct or underlying cause of death for the purposes of completing the Medical Certificate of Cause of Death
Covid-19 is not a reason on its own to refer a death to a coroner under the Coroners and Justice Act 2009.
• That Covid-19 is a notifiable disease under the Health Protection (Notification) Regulations 2010 does not mean referral to a coroner is required by virtue of its notifiable status.
Medical practitioners are required to certify causes of death “to the best of their knowledge and belief”. Without diagnostic proof, if appropriate and to avoid delay, medical practitioners can circle ‘2’ in the MCCD (“information from post-mortem may be available later”) or tick Box B on the reverse of the MCCD for ante-mortem investigations. For example, if before death the patient had symptoms typical of COVID- 19 infection, but the test result has not been received, it would be satisfactory to give ‘COVID-19’ as the cause of death, tick Box B and then share the test result when it

I said in an earlier post that doctors had been told not to record as corvid where underlying reasons. It turns out that was just one hospital trust which had gone against government guidance.
Here’s the government “instruction” which is not as devious as you appear imply:

• •
Referring deaths to the coroner
Covid-19 is an acceptable direct or underlying cause of death for the purposes of completing the Medical Certificate of Cause of Death
Covid-19 is not a reason on its own to refer a death to a coroner under the Coroners and Justice Act 2009.
• That Covid-19 is a notifiable disease under the Health Protection (Notification) Regulations 2010 does not mean referral to a coroner is required by virtue of its notifiable status.
Medical practitioners are required to certify causes of death “to the best of their knowledge and belief”. Without diagnostic proof, if appropriate and to avoid delay, medical practitioners can circle ‘2’ in the MCCD (“information from post-mortem may be available later”) or tick Box B on the reverse of the MCCD for ante-mortem investigations. For example, if before death the patient had symptoms typical of COVID- 19 infection, but the test result has not been received, it would be satisfactory to give ‘COVID-19’ as the cause of death, tick Box B and then share the test result when it

And the answer is.....?